• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

KD: Monster is undoubtedly pretty expensive. However, 200-250 for the base game isn't THAT ridiculous. A lot of games have an MSRP of around $100 (especially CMON and FFG ones), and KD is both big and lavishly produced.

It's also a really interesting game in and of itself, and the 1.5 updates look to be addressing some of the problems with the system.

I get people being skeptical of KSes that promise the moon, especially when those promises come with pictures of all kinds of fancy minis, but the original KD:M KS was actually delivered as promised.

Well, more or less, if you exclude the Lantern Festival expansion, but he did issue refunds for that.

It's actually quite funny. I was pretty hyped for the game as it was one of the first 10 or so Kickstarter projects I've ever backed, probably in my first three board game related ones as well. A lot of stuff was promised, but when it came down to it, there was painfully little to go on in terms of actual gameplay since the rulebook was completely under wraps and the gameplay videos were short on detail. By the time Poots started shipping the actual game years later, the hype had died down, and seeing/hearing Kickstarter stories about games not living up to their potential, I pretty much resigned myself to having a game with very good miniatures with lackluster gameplay.

Oh boy, was I wrong. I don't think anyone really had an idea of what the final product would be. But it exceeded all of my expectations.

Recieved Medici from kickstarter today (addon for the new card game). It was delivered on time and didn't cost me $1700 so I'm happy so far.

I really like the production except the in between numbers on the scoring track are basically impossible to read. Why companies would do that I have no idea.

Great classic game, but of the two games I played, my wife won both. So overall fuck medici.

Experien

There's no way of knowing if the app will be converting the included missions/campaigns into digital, or if it will be all new content. From what I understand of the Mansions of Madness and Descent apps is that the expansions just add new configurations for tiles and monsters, and then maybe there's one new quest/mission tied to the app. At least that's the way it is for Mansions. I haven't picked up Descent yet, but put it on my list for Christmas.

I'd just love the ability to play it solo.

What do you guys recommend if I want to get into dungeon crawler style board games?

Only heard of Descent and Mice and Mystics, but know close to nothing about them. I'm sure they're many more to consider.

Lupercal

Banned
What do you guys recommend if I want to get into dungeon crawler style board games?

Only heard of Descent and Mice and Mystics, but know close to nothing about them. I'm sure they're many more to consider.
Fantasy or sci-fi?

I'd consider omega protocol and Imperial assault for sci-fi.
Black plague is a good starter dungeon crawler.

Bane

I'll say up front that some of the game I mention probably aren't strictly dungeon crawlers but are close enough that I thought worth mentioning. That being said:

Would you be playing solo or with a group? Descent out of the box is a 1 v all game but an app recently came out that converts it to full co-op. If you dig Star Wars, Imperial Assault is pretty much a re-skinned version of Descent and is supposed to have an app released next year but no further info is known about that yet.

There's also the new version of Doom coming soon. It's a 1 v all that should be pretty awesome. The old version was great and this one is using that as a base and adding some new mechanics.

Another 1 v all that I've not played myself but was received well is Level 7: Omega Protocol, it supposedly has an Aliens feel to it. Just avoid the other two games in the series.

It's a bit pricey but I'd also recommend Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. It's at least a 2 player game but my group has really enjoyed it. Also pricey is Conan but it's a 1 v all.

If you're looking or something to play alone then maybe look into the Dungeons and Dragons games Castle Ravenloft, Leggend of Drizz't, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Temple of Elemental Evil. I only have Ravenloft and enjoy it a good bit. They are not the flashiest games around but have a really solid design. The main reason I bring these up is they're cheaper than the other games I mention so they may be a good choice to see if you like this style of game.

Then there's Zombicide and it's various versions. The newest one, Black Plague, has a fantasy theme and made some great changes to the older modern-based ones but those are still quite fun as well.

I am glad that KDM's art is a deal breaker for me. Those prices, holy crap.

Is there anything like it with a better depiction of women?

Dark Souls kinda sounds like a simpler version of KDM.

KDM is very unique, and really while I'm not a fan, I also don't think it's right to say it's a board game personally. The rules are quite complex and are more akin to the more elaborate wargames and miniature games.

Dark Souls looks to have some similarities in it's presentation and combat encounter setup, while being far more simple and stream lined.

Personally to me KDM is nothing more than people being wowed by the fantastic sculptures and presentation, the game I think is quite a bore and overly complex combat encounter/resolution being a chief reason for it. It's amazing looking game overall, but the game itself.... meh

emag

Recieved Medici from kickstarter today (addon for the new card game). It was delivered on time and didn't cost me $1700 so I'm happy so far.

I really like the production except the in between numbers on the scoring track are basically impossible to read. Why companies would do that I have no idea.

Great classic game, but of the two games I played, my wife won both. So overall fuck medici.

It wouldn't be Medici without some bad board UI. The new edition is much better than any previous one, though.

Phthisis

Can't decide between regular Lantern or Silver Lantern. Guess I'll wait and see what exactly is coming int he Gambler's Box. I really really enjoy KDM, and excited for the upgrade pack.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Can't decide between regular Lantern or Silver Lantern. Guess I'll wait and see what exactly is coming int he Gambler's Box. I really really enjoy KDM, and excited for the upgrade pack.

One of the changes is +3 resources for lvl 2 hunts. I think 1.5 is going to be great.

I am glad that KDM's art is a deal breaker for me. Those prices, holy crap.

Is there anything like it with a better depiction of women?

I totally get the depiction of women thing. I found it off-putting back during the original KS, myself.

Having bought the game second-hand from a friend of mine, I will say that very little of the cheesecake pin-up stuff is reflected in the game itself. Still, the optics of all of the pin-ups as being such a central part of the "brand" are...not great.

(Which is why I'm sort of amused to see him starting with two male pin-ups for this campaign.)

Personally to me KDM is nothing more than people being wowed by the fantastic sculptures and presentation, the game I think is quite a bore and overly complex combat encounter/resolution being a chief reason for it. It's amazing looking game overall, but the game itself.... meh

See, to me, that's part of the appeal. I find stuff like Descent/Black Plague/Shadows of Brimstone/etc. too...light, really, with limited tactical depth and...granularity when it comes to the decisions. It's sort of like the new XCOM vs. the original X-Com, if that makes any sense.

(In fact, I describe the new XCOM to people as "imagine a board game version of the original", and I don't mean that as an insult.)

See, to me, that's part of the appeal. I find stuff like Descent/Black Plague/Shadows of Brimstone/etc. too...light, really, with limited tactical depth and...granularity when it comes to the decisions. It's sort of like the new XCOM vs. the original X-Com, if that makes any sense.

(In fact, I describe the new XCOM to people as "imagine a board game version of the original", and I don't mean that as an insult.)

I like complicated games, I'm big wargamer who collects and plays ton of complex wargames with giant rulebooks. I just found KDM to be... awful. The whole game design to me felt like it just involved adding one rule after another to make the game feel complex, when it just bogged down the fun aspect of the game that most combat systems need in a game. Problem with many older roleplaying game systems that went overboard with combat mechanics, where as you always need a level of streamlining to keep things well paced. To me the game just was a slog and huge turn off. One of the most gorgeous presentations ever, but ugh at the rules.

Latest Survivor/Zombivors group shot. All of these are done to look like friends/family. My wife picked her own survivor out and also chose the color of her outfit (she's purple!).

E3D40FD0-CC02-4B1E-960A-812B93B4DF89.jpg

704A0BB5-E7B3-4A2A-BD08-6F5360ABC9DA.jpg

Only 56 more to go, lol. I hope to get the next 2 done tomorrow. One will be really easy, the other looks really difficult thanks to tiny obscure details. After I get those two finished, I think I'll knock out the dog companions. There are only 6 of them and they should go super fast.

lordxar

Rolled through Miniature Market in St Louis on the way back from family and snagged all the Eldritch Horror expansions I was missing, the remaining Mage Knight stuff I needed minus Krang that they were out of and a pair of the Arkham LCG. Had to go around home for sleeves but that's a pretty cool store. They keep all the stuff I'd care about in the back anyway and basically process your order as if it was online so I'm not sure I'd go back physically. Would probably just do the online ordering but the pickup option is pretty sweet if I'm in the neighborhood.

Now I need to sleeve a lot of EH cards, figure out how all this shit blends, and get my trays reconfigured for all this expansion stuff. I'm not even touching MK at this point. But the Arkham cards might just be my first focus tomorrow so I can try and learn it. Really looking forward to trying that. I thought about just one box but hell I may never see those again. I missed then in stock a couple times now...

I tried EH again earlier this week but with two investigators this time which seemed much more doable than with just one but I got hungry a couple hours in which killed my motivation to continue lol. I've had to toss out some of the first couple expansions I bought out so mixing more in may not be good but whatever. I'm getting better at running through it.

I like complicated games, I'm big wargamer who collects and plays ton of complex wargames with giant rulebooks. I just found KDM to be... awful. The whole game design to me felt like it just involved adding one rule after another to make the game feel complex, when it just bogged down the fun aspect of the game that most combat systems need in a game. Problem with many older roleplaying game systems that went overboard with combat mechanics, where as you always need a level of streamlining to keep things well paced. To me the game just was a slog and huge turn off. One of the most gorgeous presentations ever, but ugh at the rules.

There are a lot of rules, but I don't think the rules for just the Showdown phase is that complex or bogged down. It's fairly standard roll to see if you hit, roll to see if you wound, if you hit from PnP RPGs. It sits inbetween something like Descent and RPG combat done by the book.

Only 56 more to go, lol. I hope to get the next 2 done tomorrow. One will be really easy, the other looks really difficult thanks to tiny obscure details. After I get those two finished, I think I'll knock out the dog companions. There are only 6 of them and they should go super fast.

Nice! I'm working my way through the remainder of the Black Plague zombies, but I haven't had the guts/time to commit to finishing the heroes yet.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but, check out DungeonQuest. Bought it myself but still waiting for it to get delivered.

I'll say up front that some of the game I mention probably aren't strictly dungeon crawlers but are close enough that I thought worth mentioning. That being said:

Would you be playing solo or with a group? Descent out of the box is a 1 v all game but an app recently came out that converts it to full co-op. If you dig Star Wars, Imperial Assault is pretty much a re-skinned version of Descent and is supposed to have an app released next year but no further info is known about that yet.

There's also the new version of Doom coming soon. It's a 1 v all that should be pretty awesome. The old version was great and this one is using that as a base and adding some new mechanics.

Another 1 v all that I've not played myself but was received well is Level 7: Omega Protocol, it supposedly has an Aliens feel to it. Just avoid the other two games in the series.

It's a bit pricey but I'd also recommend Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. It's at least a 2 player game but my group has really enjoyed it. Also pricey is Conan but it's a 1 v all.

If you're looking or something to play alone then maybe look into the Dungeons and Dragons games Castle Ravenloft, Leggend of Drizz't, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Temple of Elemental Evil. I only have Ravenloft and enjoy it a good bit. They are not the flashiest games around but have a really solid design. The main reason I bring these up is they're cheaper than the other games I mention so they may be a good choice to see if you like this style of game.

Then there's Zombicide and it's various versions. The newest one, Black Plague, has a fantasy theme and made some great changes to the older modern-based ones but those are still quite fun as well.

I'll most likely play in a group, although it would be nice to take a stab at playing board games alone, something I've never done.

Mice and Mystics is a no go then? I've seen people speak highly of Descent here, so that seems more immediatly interesting.

I'm also more keen to a fantasy setting, but if a game is good I'll enjoy it regardless of setting.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but, check out DungeonQuest. Bought it myself but still waiting for it to get delivered.

That game is hard as hell. I think you're only supposed to win 33% of the time or something equally ridiculous. You're not working together and you all play independently from one another. Once a character is dead, the others keep playing. I mean, I like it enough, but I don't think it's what he's looking for.

I'll keep recommending Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. I think it's the best crawler out there right now. It looks great, plays well, and is just plain fun. You can play it solo too.

Zombicide also has that dungeon crawling feel, so that is always an easy suggestion as well. The Black Plague box is set in ye olden times. It's a bit more run and gun than something like WQ, but it's undeniably fun.

Mice and Mystics is great too, FYI. It is a it more simple compared to the others. I play it with my kids and they really enjoy it. That said, it's not like baby's first dungeon crawler either. I would put it around where the AD&D board games are. Those are also pretty solid IMO, but the production value pales compared to many of the other crawlers out there and I am, a huge fan of good looking games.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the campaign in Arkham LCG for the second time and had Resolution 3 which was pretty awesome. I'll probably pick a second core see when I can. Looking forward to the first Deluxe expansion.

XShagrath

I played the first scenario in Arkham LCG earlier this week with a friend, but we cheated. I didn't see the "per investigator" symbol on a couple cards, which made it way way easier. I just soloed the first scenario today with Wendy without any problems. Got to the second part of the campaign, and it just got so awesome from there. So many locations and dynamic things happening based on what I chose in the first scenario. If the game is this awesome right now with just the core, I can't wait to see where it goes through the cycles.

That game is hard as hell. I think you're only supposed to win 33% of the time or something equally ridiculous. You're not working together and you all play independently from one another. Once a character is dead, the others keep playing. I mean, I like it enough, but I don't think it's what he's looking for.

I'll keep recommending Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. I think it's the best crawler out there right now. It looks great, plays well, and is just plain fun. You can play it solo too.

Zombicide also has that dungeon crawling feel, so that is always an easy suggestion as well. The Black Plague box is set in ye olden times. It's a bit more run and gun than something like WQ, but it's undeniably fun.

Mice and Mystics is great too, FYI. It is a it more simple compared to the others. I play it with my kids and they really enjoy it. That said, it's not like baby's first dungeon crawler either. I would put it around where the AD&D board games are. Those are also pretty solid IMO, but the production value pales compared to many of the other crawlers out there and I am, a huge fan of good looking games.

Yeah, probably not what he is looking for. The difficulty and randomness of DungeonQuest is what appealed to me. It's like a boardgame roguelike.

I was also considering the games in your recommendation. The Silver Tower and Black Plague are currently out of stock in my local stores but can probably place a special order for these. For Mice and Mystics, The game looks beautiful and fun, but, I am having second thoughts due to its replayability. Will still probably get Mice and Mystics but it will be low on the priority list.

Bane

I'll most likely play in a group, although it would be nice to take a stab at playing board games alone, something I've never done.

Mice and Mystics is a no go then? I've seen people speak highly of Descent here, so that seems more immediatly interesting.

I'm also more keen to a fantasy setting, but if a game is good I'll enjoy it regardless of setting.

I only neglect M&M because I know absolutely nothing about it. It seems to be spoken well of on Board Game Geek but I can't really say more than that.

Does anyone have experience with making games in Tabletop Simulator? I have made a card game and so far I've only made a small physical run sold at cost. I don't really intend to make money off it, although it would be nice.

What I'm thinking about is making a virtual version, but I have a bunch of questions. How hard is it? How secure is it - I wouldn't want people to easily have the source files to print for themselves? Can cards easily be read on screen (some of the game depends on looking at other cards that have been played)?

EYEL1NER

Buy it and I'll assemble the minis for you. I love doing that.
I'm not speaking for him but the thing I hate about games that require assembly of minis is that I think to myself "Well, I might want to paint the mini before assembling it" and I know I'll never get around to painting it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm not speaking for him but the thing I hate about games that require assembly of minis is that I think to myself "Well, I might want to paint the mini before assembling it" and I know I'll never get around to painting it.

I used to be that way, but then I realized that for tabletop quality minis, you don't need to bother with that.

PittaGAF

I just want to recommend Silver Tower too.
Hands down the best crawler out there imho, despite the hassle to assemble the minis.

Actually I had no prior experience before buying it, and I'm SO GLAD I did it, because it's super fun and pretty accessible.

Took me 2 afternoons to assemble the minis (they look out of this world, orders of magnitude better than anything else you can find on the market actually).
Even unpainted they're so much better than other offerings.

I played almost all the campaign with unpainted minis and then I just tried to paint them....even at a shit level of competence they look so gorgeous on the board it was so worth it both the extra time and the extra money.

If you happen to live near a Games Workshop, they have a mini demo campaign to play in store (less than 2 hours) to see if you like it.

Silver Tower is my next painting project. However, Zombicide will keep me busy for the foreseeable future. If/When I finish this, it will be the largest and most ambitious painting project I have ever completed. Every little bit completed is encouragement to keep going. It is very rewarding experience.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
another bonus to WHQ:ST is apparently they have rules for other AoS models as well.. so if you aren't a fan of what's in the box or the xpacs, you can grab one of a handful of AoS figures and play with those instead (or obviously be lame and proxy)

I'm currently working on assembling blood bowl.. only five orcs in, but I didn't have any time this weekend. May give it time tonight. I am figuring a solid 2 hours and I should be able to assemble the whole game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No, I'm not going during lunch to pick up two more Arkham LCG core sets to add to my current two so I can have a full playset for our 3P game at work this evening. That would be crazy....

Anyway to describe it outside of "Monster Hunter + Dark Souls?"

I think that's just the easiest and laziest way to describe the game. Add in a Civilization/base-building game in there and you have a bare-bones description to give video gamers a general idea of what Kingdom Death: Monster is.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Anyway to describe it outside of "Monster Hunter + Dark Souls?"

I would say it is more Monster Hunter + XCOM. You hunt bosses, which drop resources which you turn around and use to build up a settlement. You choose innovations to further your people and build buildings to unlock new gear which you craft from the monster parts. It is also very story driven, and you run into interesting encounters constantly. Also, just like XCOM, you dont play as one party of survivors but a large group of them. They will die, get permanently injured or get phobias all the time.

It isn't a dungeon crawler and it is all the better for it. Instead of cutting through lots of enemeies who pise little threat unless you areswarmed, you fight individual monsters who all have completely unique AI decks and hit location decks. The AI decks are made from a pool, so you never see all of s mo sters attacks at once, and these dictate how a creature fights. Ontop ofthst, each monster has a hit location deckwhich you draw from when you damage the monster. Hit locations can have different reactions based on if you whiff or hit or critically hit a monster. The fights end up being very dynamic and very different from one another.

Top Bottom