• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Scored Black Plague during the Amazon sale today. $55 seems like a good deal.

I'm so torn on Plack Plague. I already own everything from Zombicide season 1-3 and Black Plague is just more of the same. The rule tweaks can easily be added to the original.

But goddamn do I love me some Zombicide.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm so torn on Plack Plague. I already own everything from Zombicide season 1-3 and Black Plague is just more of the same. The rule tweaks can easily be added to the original.

I don't own Zombicide, so that's why I snagged it. I have Massive Darkness coming one day, and Black Plague is basically a zombie version of that. So this will tide me over for some time!

I don't own Zombicide, so that's why I snagged it. I have Massive Darkness coming one day, and Black Plague is basically a zombie version of that. So this will tide me over for some time!

There's a lot of synergy between Black Plague and Massive Darkness, which is very smart IMO. The ability to use characters in both is great. I love stuff like that.

Ohnonono

I don't have my original Zombicide stuff anymore but honestly with how much you seem to be into the game I really think you would appreciate the small, but welcome improvements. The player boards are great, and the miniatures are still fantastic. I don't know that i would tell everyone that but you really seem to be into the system.

I would pretty much always recommend someone just buy BP if they don't own the first game.

I don't have my original Zombicide stuff anymore but honestly with how much you seem to be into the game I really think you would appreciate the small, but welcome improvements. The player boards are great, and the miniatures are still fantastic. I don't know that i would tell everyone that but you really seem to be into the system.

I would pretty much always recommend someone just buy BP if they don't own the first game.

I have so many fantasy and sci fi games that I am very happy to have Zombicide in the modern setting. It makes painting a lot more interesting too. There's also a lot more "stuff" for the original, which I really enjoy. The sheer quantity and variety of zombies, survivors, and miscellaneous things like dog & human companions makes me giddy. And like I mentioned above, the rules tweaks are easily integrated into the original.

Ohnonono

I have so many fantasy and sci fi games that I am very happy to have Zombicide in the modern setting. It makes painting a lot more interesting too. There's also a lot more "stuff" for the original, which I really enjoy. The sheer quantity and variety of zombies, survivors, and miscellaneous things like dog & human companions makes me giddy. And like I mentioned above, the rules tweaks are easily integrated into the original.

I get that perspective. They are pretty expensive games after all.

I get that perspective. They are pretty expensive games after all.

I also get it when people who skipped the original grab Black Plague because they prefer that setting over modern. Fantasy has always been a great setting.

If they made a sci fi version on a space station or something I bet a whole lot of people who skipped the other versions would pick that one up, lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's a lot of synergy between Black Plague and Massive Darkness, which is very smart IMO. The ability to use characters in both is great. I love stuff like that.

Just checked my MD pledge manager...Apparently I purchased the crossover set, so that bodes well for me!

Blizzard

Banned
Anyway, long story short, the game features worker placement, poker, gunfights, and shares in industry. All in a box a bit bigger than two decks of cards. I had fun with it and look forward to playing it again. Of the Tiny Epic games I have played (this and Galaxies) I like Galaxies better, but this one is really solid.

Just when I thought I had most games I wanted besides Robinson Crusoe (this week I'll finally have both Valley of the Kings expansions, the Viticulture Tuscany EE, and the Scythe expansion), I discovered last night I wanted Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

And, thanks to your post, I want Tiny Epic Galaxies. ;_:

I'm looking forward to getting Comancheria in soon. GMT looks like they have already started shipping so hopefully I get it in this week.

Just when I thought I had most games I wanted besides Robinson Crusoe (this week I'll finally have both Valley of the Kings expansions, the Viticulture Tuscany EE, and the Scythe expansion), I discovered last night I wanted Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

And, thanks to your post, I want Tiny Epic Galaxies. ;_:
Yeah, TEG is a really good game. I highly recommend picking it up.

Cool my expansions came in now I own all of Pixel Tacitcs minus the event exclusive promo cards :[

Guess I need to start collecting another game for my shelf lol.

Need a new two player game for the gf and I. We're pretty open minded. Lately we've been playing 7 Wonder Duel, Le Havre, Splendor, and Sherlock Consulting Detective. We own Dominion (plus expansions), Carcassone, C o Burgundy, Lost Cities, Twilight Struggle, Dutch Blitz, Love Letter, Pandemic, Suburbia, Terra Mystica, Castletti, Agricola (big and small), Race for the Galaxy and a few others that aren't coming to me.

I'm leaning towards Time Stories, but I've already played one scenario from the base game with a friend, so I'm not sure how good of a value that would be for us. Any other suggestions?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Need a new two player game for the gf and I. We're pretty open minded. Lately we've been playing 7 Wonder Duel, Le Havre, Splendor, and Sherlock Consulting Detective. We own Dominion (plus expansions), Carcassone, C o Burgundy, Lost Cities, Twilight Struggle, Dutch Blitz, Love Letter, Pandemic, Suburbia, Terra Mystica, Castletti, Agricola (big and small), Race for the Galaxy and a few others that aren't coming to me.

I'm leaning towards Time Stories, but I've already played one scenario from the base game with a friend, so I'm not sure how good of a value that would be for us. Any other suggestions?
I am a Time Stories hater so don't take my word for it, but I think of Time Stories to be especially poor w/ 2.

You already have to good 2p games on your list, but here are a few that we've enjoyed recently you don't have on there:
-Arkham Horror LCG (if she's into the theme and narrative, which is quite heavy in this one)
-Innovation (kind of like RFTG, a 2-4p that is really a meaty 2p at heart)
-Raptor (light but strategically fun dinos vs. scientists on a board romp)
-Shadowrun Crossfire (co-op scenario-based deckbuilder where you can level up your decks over the course of many plays), or if you prefer the theme Legendary Encounters: Alien
-Baseball Highlights: 2045 (great poppy little baseball feeling back-and-forth card game/light deckbuilder)

I am a Time Stories hater so don't take my word for it, but I think of Time Stories to be especially poor w/ 2.

You already have to good 2p games on your list, but here are a few that we've enjoyed recently you don't have on there:
-Arkham Horror LCG (if she's into the theme and narrative, which is quite heavy in this one)
-Innovation (kind of like RFTG, a 2-4p that is really a meaty 2p at heart)
-Raptor (light but strategically fun dinos vs. scientists on a board romp)
-Shadowrun Crossfire (co-op scenario-based deckbuilder where you can level up your decks over the course of many plays), or if you prefer the theme Legendary Encounters: Alien
-Baseball Highlights: 2045 (great poppy little baseball feeling back-and-forth card game/light deckbuilder)

Yeah, I liked the one scenario of Time Stories I played, but I'm not married to it.
She's not big into horror themed stuff, so I've never even considered Arkham Horror, but I'll definitely look into the rest of those. Thanks.

I am always impressed with Concept. It's gotta be one of my top games to bring out to people new to boardgaming. People of all types get really into it. They may not quite get it at first but they always seem to want to try to and is really funny. The game is very malleable as well, you can adjust the rules in different ways to accommodate different people. Some people want to give no hints but others have more fun if you can guide people a little bit and I like that. Probably more than any other game I have do people say," I might have to get this. Where did you buy this?"

Great Western Trail is pretty good. I wish Stronghold games would improve their components a bit, especially player mats. Their games are not exactly cheap but the components quality is pretty low. Both Terraforming Mars and Great Western Trail have cheap cardboard stock paper for player mat which not only look like crap but the tokens and what not just shifting around.

Both games are great though. Great Western Trail is really easy to teach once you learn the set up, everything you need to know is on the board or the mat, though a player aid would be nice. Again, Stronghold games really need to step up if they want to be the next Z-Mann now that Z-Mann got gobble up by Asmodee.

Blargh, I got Onirim but forgot to order the right sleeves with it. The cards are of mediocre quality and some already have damage. :\

Made my first order with Swan Panasia to try out their sleeves. They have a variety of sleeves that supposedly fit some more unique card sizes. I got The Big Book of Madness during the Amazon sale today, so I'll have sleeves for that too.

Blizzard

Banned

That's quite the list. Biblios is a nice quick 2-player compatible bidding game.

If you don't mind paying more, Feast for Odin works great with 1-2 players and I found it infinitely more appealing than Agricola.

T'zolkin works fine with 2 players for unique worker placement.

Make sure you have the Gathering Storm expansion for Race, and the new 7 Wonders Duel expansion.

Imperial Settlers works well as a tableau builder for 2.

I'm planning to get Tiny Epic Galaxies which is supposed to be decent with 2 I think.

*edit* Darn, I just realized the Tiny Epic Quest kickstarter ended over a week ago. I'm out of the loop. Time to wait until late next year and try to order the deluxe version.

AMUSIX

I've been following the KD:M updates and the game does look pretty interesting (always thought a bit unwieldy, but has some original concepts for sure), but man every new update I'm convinced that everyone involved in the project is 13-y-o white kids bringing their notebook sketches to life. There is a term for something that is beyond blatant and gratuitous, and it is "Kingdom Death: Monster." If people are into it (and they clearly are) then more power to everyone, but every update kind of tops the last one in terms of that characterization. I kinda wish people who weren't just into Conan/KD:M-type stuff made awesome minis board games (why I got into Monsterpocalypse for a spell) though, but maybe the market's not there.

OK, I read this a few days ago, had checked out that Frog-Dog thing, and figured it was just a little humor in the game and that you were overreacting.

Just checked out the game to see if it'd be a potential buy...and, wow, are you not overreacting at all. There's a character wearing a skirt made of penises, designed to hang on the hip in such a way to leave the ass fully exposed. Oh, and the top is made of tongues 'lapping' up the sides of oversized breasts. Then there's another character that attacks you with a big ball of shit, and the buxom slave girl tied up in fetish rope work that you can get to carry your equipment around.

How the fuck does this have over 14,000 backers? It's deviant art/hentai foundry the game.

OK, I read this a few days ago, had checked out that Frog-Dog thing, and figured it was just a little humor in the game and that you were overreacting.

Just checked out the game to see if it'd be a potential buy...and, wow, are you not overreacting at all. There's a character wearing a skirt made of penises, designed to hang on the hip in such a way to leave the ass fully exposed. Oh, and the top is made of tongues 'lapping' up the sides of oversized breasts. Then there's another character that attacks you with a big ball of shit, and the buxom slave girl tied up in fetish rope work that you can get to carry your equipment around.

How the fuck does this have over 14,000 backers? It's deviant art/hentai foundry the game.

Because it's a known quantity. Yes, the art design may be too much for some, but it's the core game reprint that raised that initial 3+ million on the first day. If you scroll down and see the long list of components in the core game, you'll see very little of what you described, except for busty females. The core game itself deserves all that it can get.

As for the other stuff? The creator leaves the more wacky shit for optional expansions. And the pin-up models are just that, pin-ups with no real gameplay value. There to look pretty or titillate. If people can't get past that and see that the game is much more selective in showing tits and ass everywhere, then it's their loss for dismissing the game because of it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Because it's a known quantity. Yes, the art design may be too much for some, but it's the core game reprint that raised that initial 3+ million on the first day. If you scroll down and see the long list of components in the core game, you'll see very little of what you described, except for busty females. The core game itself deserves all that it can get.

As for the other stuff? The creator leaves the more wacky shit for optional expansions. And the pin-up models are just that, pin-ups with no real gameplay value. There to look pretty or titillate. If people can't get past that and see that the game is much more selective in showing tits and ass everywhere, then it's their loss for dismissing the game because of it.

Haha yeah, it's pretty extreme so I really couldn't help but to comment on it. I'm sure in part the creator doesn't mind because it's just more publicity for the game, and obviously there is a big enough market, or at least a big enough market that will overlook those aspects (and like you said the core game itself is much less outlandish). So not even trying to disparage anyone's choices, just a campaign and game that make me go thinkingemoji

As mentioned, only one of those things is actually in the game (the Dung Beetle Knight), and that's...well, a little more interesting than you're making it out to be. The rest of the stuff is all pinups/collector's models.

I mean, yeah, I found the ammo slave model to be pretty gross, myself. But if you look at the actual content of the game, it's more stuff like this, or this, or this.

As to the player models, these are more representative of the actual game

Taborcarn

I went ahead and ordered Oracle of Delphi yesterday. Not your typical Feld and it doesn't seem like it has as much buzz as some of the other recent big releases, but I'm pretty excited for it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There is a new Arkham Horror LCG standalone scenario out called Carnavalle of Horrors. My local store still hasn't got the previous one or the play mat :(

Blizzard

Banned
Miniature Market FedEx shipping keeps delivering a day earlier than predicted. I'm not complaining!

I received Viticulture EE and the Scythe expansion. Unexpectedly, there was a tiny envelope with a bunch of certified worker cards for Viticulture EE -- I don't know if that's a preorder bonus or what.

All the weird sexual overtones and imagery of KD are what makes me think it looks interesting, lol. It would be pretty fun to paint some of that stuff. There's nothing else out like it. The entire aesthetic is like a weird fever dream.

emag

We haven't played any other simulation/sandbox games, so perhaps we didn't approach it with the right mindset, but we had a mess of a time with Pax Renaissance on Monday. With four players, there was so much chaos and take-that that no one had any sense of control, let alone a real lead. After two hours of aimless floundering, we still hadn't gotten to any of the comet cards and no one felt at all invested in the game, so we unanimously called it right there.

I don't think we got any of the rules especially wrong (although it's possible we occasionally overlooked some details), but we'd soon built tableaus with a multitude of repress/tax actions that were used to hammer each other repeatedly (along with kings sending knights against adjacent empires). Cards with one-shot powers were played frequently, without any regard to overall strategy. No bishops and only a couple pirates (soon repressed/killed) actually made it into play.

Most, if not all, of us are willing to give Pax Ren another shot, but unless we (I) figure out some way to generate focus and move the game along, that second chance will be the last chance.

EDIT: Oops. We played with way too many cards in the decks. The correct number for each is 14 + 4/player (so 30/30 instead of 57 (West)/35 (East).

Amazon has Star Wars Destiny for pre-order, comes out 12/13.

Only 3 booster packs allowed and it's an add on item, but I got those and a Rey set. Hopefully it will hold me over until the booster boxes I have ordered that are set to ship in early January arrive.

My friend picked up a box from the FFG store last week, apparently just before they sold out.

XShagrath

There is a new Arkham Horror LCG standalone scenario out called Carnavalle of Horrors. My local store still hasn't got the previous one or the play mat :(
They've got the playmats at my local store, but they've sold out of the "4 player" one pretty instantly.

No Rougarou yet though. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

CSI still has Rougarou on pre-order (only reason I have it is b/c of Arkham Nights pack). My LGS doesn't have the playmats either and they get everything, and quite early. Only reason I have that one is b/c I preordered from FFG directly. And this is the first I heard of that new scenario. :p So no issues detected.

Have you blitzed through the campaign a bunch already? I actually have Rougarou but still doing one more campaign run before diving into it as a sidequest on a future run.

Lupercal

Banned
Going to play Godfather: The New Don in a bit, curious to see how the negotiation will work out.

Also, the board looks beautiful, going to use the 5-6 player side.

Experien

Only 3 booster packs allowed and it's an add on item, but I got those and a Rey set. Hopefully it will hold me over until the booster boxes I have ordered that are set to ship in early January arrive.

My friend picked up a box from the FFG store last week, apparently just before they sold out.

I ordered a Rey starter since I already ordered Kylo and Gravity feed online with Mid-late December. Amazon is saying I'll have Rey on Tuesday though.

Arkham (lovecraft) is scifi horror right?

I guess technically but I would say Gothic Horror is more apt.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
They've got the playmats at my local store, but they've sold out of the "4 player" one pretty instantly.

No Rougarou yet though. :(

CSI still has Rougarou on pre-order (only reason I have it is b/c of Arkham Nights pack). My LGS doesn't have the playmats either and they get everything, and quite early. Only reason I have that one is b/c I preordered from FFG directly. And this is the first I heard of that new scenario. :p So no issues detected.

Have you blitzed through the campaign a bunch already? I actually have Rougarou but still doing one more campaign run before diving into it as a sidequest on a future run.

And just as I complained I got a call from my store saying I have the mat set aside for me, lol.

I recently started my third play though as well as played the first scenario with a buddy.

I ordered a Rey starter since I already ordered Kylo and Gravity feed online with Mid-late December. Amazon is saying I'll have Rey on Tuesday though.

I just got an update on the 3 booster packs, they should arrive next Thursday but it has the Rey starter coming the Monday after. Hopefully the starter gets updated to an earlier arrival and I get enough cards to put together a full deck with Rey. I've played with a friend and used his cards but would really like to have my own as soon as possible.

Experien

I just got an update on the 3 booster packs, they should arrive next Thursday but it has the Rey starter coming the Monday after. Hopefully the starter gets updated to an earlier arrival and I get enough cards to put together a full deck with Rey. I've played with a friend and used his cards but would really like to have my own as soon as possible.

Amazon says they expect to ship mine on the 9th. they can be so strange.

Karkador

Banned
Played my first learning/solo game of Pandemic Iberia last night. If you haven't heard, it's a re-themed, re-working of Pandemic in 19th century Spain and Portugal. Thematically, it means Pandemic before the invention of modern medicine and transportation. With that comes new game mechanics and roles, kinda like a new expansion wrapped up together with the base game.

Things kick off in an interesting way at setup: since there is no CDC in this game (even hospitals, the research centers of this game, are very limited), each player picks which city they start in from the hand they got dealt at setup. This happens after you seed the first infections, so you're already having this pre-game strategy discussion about where everybody is going to start, as you're going to be split up. This reminded me a lot of the discussion at the beginning of each Pandemic Legacy game.

Movement is limited by the map, which has few shortcuts, and a severe lack of airplanes in the 1800s. Instead, you can travel the perimeter by boat (costs cards), or build rails to get across the land mass - a HUGE boon once you get that going. It's pretty damn satisfying to move across 10 cities in ONE action after you've got a big chain going.

I only played the "regular" scenario of the game (and lost), but there are additional scenario rules included in the game: a mode where cubes become "patients" that travel towards hospitals every turn until they overrun, making it almost like a hoard mode; and a mode where you can play with specific rules for how each color of virus spreads.

After playing a bunch of Pandemic Legacy, I was ready for more challenges and spins on Pandemic, and this one really feels like a nice amount of new stuff in the box (with no base game needed). Also, kudos to them, they finally made the card backs symmetrical patterns.

joelseph

The Iberia buzz has me asking my wife to buy it for me for Xmas. How limited is the run? Anyone have a feel for how long it might stick around?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I guess technically but I would say Gothic Horror is more apt.

/looks longingly at hot new collectible game w/ good gameplay

not today, satan

Blizzard

Banned
I have both the Valley of the Kings expansions now. The card colors and art are SUPER vibrant. It's very striking.

Unfortunately they suffer the same slight drawback as most games with full-face color changes that extend to the border -- you can almost see the colors from the side of a deck. However, that problem has apparently existed since the first Valley of the Kings game, and as long as no one is trying to cheat I think it's pretty minor. Sleeves would probably fix it too.

Karkador

Banned
The Iberia buzz has me asking my wife to buy it for me for Xmas. How limited is the run? Anyone have a feel for how long it might stick around?

My guess is that they made enough to find for at least a few months. It's not exactly the nerd bait game of the season

Played my first learning/solo game of Pandemic Iberia last night. If you haven't heard, it's a re-themed, re-working of Pandemic in 19th century Spain and Portugal. Thematically, it means Pandemic before the invention of modern medicine and transportation. With that comes new game mechanics and roles, kinda like a new expansion wrapped up together with the base game.

Things kick off in an interesting way at setup: since there is no CDC in this game (even hospitals, the research centers of this game, are very limited), each player picks which city they start in from the hand they got dealt at setup. This happens after you seed the first infections, so you're already having this pre-game strategy discussion about where everybody is going to start, as you're going to be split up. This reminded me a lot of the discussion at the beginning of each Pandemic Legacy game.

Movement is limited by the map, which has few shortcuts, and a severe lack of airplanes in the 1800s. Instead, you can travel the perimeter by boat (costs cards), or build rails to get across the land mass - a HUGE boon once you get that going. It's pretty damn satisfying to move across 10 cities in ONE action after you've got a big chain going.

I only played the "regular" scenario of the game (and lost), but there are additional scenario rules included in the game: a mode where cubes become "patients" that travel towards hospitals every turn until they overrun, making it almost like a hoard mode; and a mode where you can play with specific rules for how each color of virus spreads.

After playing a bunch of Pandemic Legacy, I was ready for more challenges and spins on Pandemic, and this one really feels like a nice amount of new stuff in the box (with no base game needed). Also, kudos to them, they finally made the card backs symmetrical patterns.
Man, this sounds good. On the wish list it goes!

Top Bottom