• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

1UyDrQtl.jpg

Terraforming Mars again at our little coffee shop Meetup. The group really dig this game and it is nice not to playing something new all the time and play a game where at least most of us know the rule. A guy and another gal bought plastic overlay for the player mat and they worked wonderfully. This one from Etsy store by Boardgame Boost and there is one by Meeple Realty which is a bit cheaper though they are both pretty spendy for accessories. I think they worth every penny especially if you play in public setting where the table constantly get bump or people move in and out.

0qXLwebl.jpg

End game final TR, red already removed his cube but he was not far from green. I heard some complain against this game for being depending on too much luck of the draw. I can see may be this could be the case but every games I have played so far the top three players are usually clustered within a few points.

rGXpxWil.jpg

This also arrived last week along with Feast of Odin and Great Western Trail. I play the new faction against Automa and while the new mechanic for the new factions can add new wrinkle, I felt they are a bit too fiddly. I want to get Great Western Trail to the table today at another MeetUp but the game seems to be really heavy with lot and lot of pieces.

Bii

Nothing kills a game of betrayal at house on the hill like a shitty haunt.

I know right? Our group glances at what the haunt is and if it's something we've played already or it's just too complicated to get going, we start switching cards/tiles. :/

Neverfade

Played New Angeles last night. I see BSG 2.0 flung around a fair bit. It's not that, but if you like BSG, you'll probably like this.

I thought it was pretty great. Not Inis great, but close.

Inis.

Lyng

Halp. I got Battle Line and how the fuck am I supposed to remove the shrink wrap for the tactic cards? I do not want the damage the cards by going at it with a blade.

Update: SO had an ingenious idea to use a staple. Fuck you GMT.

Why didn't you just rip it open with your fingers?

Great game btw

Lyng

It's one of those wraps that's weirdly tight and on a small set of cards iirc, with no easy hook to open it. I think it's a GMT thing.

Weird. I never had this issue with any GMT products. Guess I was real lucky then.
Other than that though, the general component quality of anything GMT is always fantastic.

Unless the quality has changed the Battle Line cards are really bad. I remember the first time I shuffled the cards one of them split. I would definitely sleeve Battle Line. One of my favorite games though!

JSR_Cube

Played New Angeles last night. I see BSG 2.0 flung around a fair bit. It's not that, but if you like BSG, you'll probably like this.

I thought it was pretty great. Not Inis great, but close.

Inis.

Inis seems to be getting hammered a bit on reddit/boardgames these days. I still haven't had a chance to play my copy yet.

I did try Great Western Trail on the weekend. Three out of the four of us liked it a lot. One guy's mind was blown away (in a bad way). Heh. Oh well, can't please everyone.

Blizzard

Banned
Before I get into a mini Harry Potter rant, I just want to say that last board game night we played Monopoly. This time, we played Settlers of Catan...well, and a weird animal sound imitation game that was amusing.

Someone save me. ;_; The bright side after Catan was that I convinced some people to play 4-player Biblios, and that went well. I adjusted my teaching method slightly (first put out cards and give an example of scoring dice / tiebreakers, then put out cards and show card types / give examples of auctioning, then start game). It seemed to go the smoothest I've taught yet.

Why didn't you just rip it open with your fingers?

Great game btw
The shrink wrap was really tight with very little excess at the corners.
Weird. I never had this issue with any GMT products. Guess I was real lucky then.
Other than that though, the general component quality of anything GMT is always fantastic.
The manual is printed on really cheap paper. It's a budget game but one of the worst I have seen.
Unless the quality has changed the Battle Line cards are really bad. I remember the first time I shuffled the cards one of them split. I would definitely sleeve Battle Line. One of my favorite games though!
Yikes. I don't know enough to judge cards by sight. I sleeved them with FFG sleeves, since I sleeve everything. (Except Fluxx, the bastard stepchild of my collection.)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Before I get into a mini Harry Potter rant, I just want to say that last board game night we played Monopoly. This time, we played Settlers of Catan...well, and a weird animal sound imitation game that was amusing.

Someone save me. ;_; The bright side after Catan was that I convinced some people to play 4-player Biblios, and that went well. I adjusted my teaching method slightly (first put out cards and give an example of scoring dice / tiebreakers, then put out cards and show card types / give examples of auctioning, then start game). It seemed to go the smoothest I've taught yet.

You can't teach them Feast for Odin, man?

Blizzard

Banned
You can't teach them Feast for Odin, man?
It's been completely set up at my place for the last couple of weeks. I was busy playing 5 solo games of it this week and was too rushed to pack it up!

Solo scenario 6 is going up tonight. People have been quite supportive and there have been 10-12 entries each week.

It's been completely set up at my place for the last couple of weeks. I was busy playing 5 solo games of it this week and was too rushed to pack it up!

Solo scenario 6 is going up tonight. People have been quite supportive and there have been 10-12 entries each week.

I actually attempted this past one with the weekly/livestock market restrictions and got a pitiful score so I decided not to post. =P I think it was around 55.

Blizzard

Banned
I actually attempted this past one with the weekly/livestock market restrictions and got a pitiful score so I decided not to post. =P I think it was around 55.
You could have saved my score from looking so bad in comparison, lol. This week is a lot more open at least.

Lyng

It has changed a lot. The first editions had bad quality but the new ones are on Twilight Struggle level. It's among the best in the business.
You guys must have been getting a old version.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Finished another full round of Maria yesterday and I cant believe how smartly designed this game is. It rocketed to my #1 spot of my board game ranking. If anyone is interested in some more in-depth impressions, I can write up something more elaborate later on.
hcs_20111002_2977.jpg

Ohnonono

I asked for A Feast For Odin for Xmas and that motherfucker looks sold out as all hell. If my FLGS does not happen to have a copy sitting around that no one bought I have a feeling I may be waiting. Hopefully the wife pulls through!

Lyng

Finished another full round of Maria yesterday and I cant believe how smartly designed this game is. It rocketed to my #1 spot of my board game ranking. If anyone is interested in some more in-depth impressions, I can write up something more elaborate later on.
hcs_20111002_2977.jpg

Please do. The game looks fantastic. Especially the combat system has me intrigued.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It has changed a lot. The first editions had bad quality but the new ones are on Twilight Struggle level. It's among the best in the business.
You guys must have been getting a old version.
Yeah mine was from like eight years ago.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
hcs_20111002_2977.jpg
Id like to hear about it

Phthisis

hcs_20111002_2977.jpg

I have been really really really dying to play this (and Friedrich)

Drake

So I kind of want to get into the LOTR LCG. I'd pretty much be playing this solo, and the reviews of people who play it solo seem to be very positive. Although I guess some quests are impossible/very very difficult to do by yourself, at least in the core set. That's ok though. They put out new adventures each month too. It looks like there is quite a bit of content to this. I'd probably just start out with the core set to see if I enjoy it.

Has anyone here played it? How did you enjoy it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I kind of want to get into the LOTR LCG. I'd pretty much be playing this solo, and the reviews of people who play it solo seem to be very positive. Although I guess some quests are impossible/very very difficult to do by yourself, at least in the core set. That's ok though. They put out new adventures each month too. It looks like there is quite a bit of content to this. I'd probably just start out with the core set to see if I enjoy it.

I owned a TON of it for a while. I ended up selling it not too long ago. The game is super good. Yes, some adventures are nearly impossible solo without later cards or super specific decks, but it's still a lot of fun. You can, of course, play two handed to experience the unique interactions and mechanics that way...It also makes some quests a lot easier.

The only reason I got out of it is because I kind of got overwhelmed by the sheer number of cards. Also I realized that, once I got a really solid deck, there wasn't much reason to experiment with new deck builds.

Fantastic game if you don't dive in too quick!

Neverfade

Buy/trade me for my like new set. I don't fuck with it at all.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've been following the KD:M updates and the game does look pretty interesting (always thought a bit unwieldy, but has some original concepts for sure), but man every new update I'm convinced that everyone involved in the project is 13-y-o white kids bringing their notebook sketches to life. There is a term for something that is beyond blatant and gratuitous, and it is "Kingdom Death: Monster." If people are into it (and they clearly are) then more power to everyone, but every update kind of tops the last one in terms of that characterization. I kinda wish people who weren't just into Conan/KD:M-type stuff made awesome minis board games (why I got into Monsterpocalypse for a spell) though, but maybe the market's not there.

Phthisis

I've been following the KD:M updates and the game does look pretty interesting (always thought a bit unwieldy, but has some original concepts for sure), but man every new update I'm convinced that everyone involved in the project is 13-y-o white kids bringing their notebook sketches to life. There is a term for something that is beyond blatant and gratuitous, and it is "Kingdom Death: Monster." If people are into it (and they clearly are) then more power to everyone, but every update kind of tops the last one in terms of that characterization. I kinda wish people who weren't just into Conan/KD:M-type stuff made awesome minis board games (why I got into Monsterpocalypse for a spell) though, but maybe the market's not there.

That said, the design and mechanics are really smart. The combat system, in particular, features a lot of cool emergent elements that I wish co-op dungeon crawls would ape moving forward. I understand not everyone can look past the visual style, but there is an actual well-designed game under it.

That said, the design and mechanics are really smart. The combat system, in particular, features a lot of cool emergent elements that I wish co-op dungeon crawls would ape moving forward. I understand not everyone can look past the visual style, but there is an actual well-designed game under it.

Most Dungeon Crawlers would suffer for taking mechanics from the KD:M combat. It's much too rule heavy and would slow down games. It's fine for the type of game KD:M is, but for board game dungeon crawls, it would make for some long ass slogs.

What are some good board game dungeon crawls? Ideally ones that don't cost $400+ to start playing. I had doom the board game which I've enjoyed but I'd like something a bit better balanced. Still kicking myself for not getting the doom expansion back in the day need to find the extra $$$ to drop $100 on a used one :/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What are some good board game dungeon crawls? Ideally ones that don't cost $400+ to start playing. I had doom the board game which I've enjoyed but I'd like something a bit better balanced. Still kicking myself for not getting the doom expansion back in the day need to find the extra $$$ to drop $100 on a used one :/

D&D Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty great and relatively cheap. You can find people selling used copies for $30-40. Descent 2e with the RtL app is fantastic, too.

The most egregious stuff isn't actually part of the game, generally. All of those pinups are just models for collectors who are into that sort of thing. Hell, even the most out-there monsters (like the wet nurse and forge god) apparently won't end up in the game itself at any point.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw the description of the frogdog's attack, and...yeah, that's a bit much.

The D&D series of games are for the price good entry points, Ravenloft, Drizzt, Elemental Evil.... They can be combined as well while Elemental Evil set included rules for campaign play to add more replay to the whole set of games.

Descent 2E and Imperial Assault are good too, more pricey but also these require one player to play as a dungeon master like aspect which you might not like. An app is out there now that lets you play fully coop with ai like features for Descent, with one on the way for Imperial Assault in the near future supposedly.

Mice and Mystics is great as well, but also needs a "bad guy" player.

Most Dungeon Crawlers would suffer for taking mechanics from the KD:M combat. It's much too rule heavy and would slow down games. It's fine for the type of game KD:M is, but for board game dungeon crawls, it would make for some long ass slogs.

KD:M Combat isn't rule-heavy at all. In general, the game isn't mechanically all that complicated. Comparing it to Descent, as that's the only dungeon crawler I have significant experience in, Descent's line-of-sight rules are more complex than KD:M's. Descent only requires you to roll dice once to see if you deal damage, but KD:M isn't much harder as it adopts an RPG-like system of roll to hit and roll to wound.

There's eventually more, much more, that will get added on, but those are usually card-specific, or will build slowly over time (fighting arts/abilities/disorders). Comparing the first mission of Descent to the prologue battle of KD:M both are very similar in weight. The added complexity comes over time, through multiple sessions, but the same can be said for a campaign of Descent.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I don't understand why you think KDM is so rules heavy. It isn't very far off from something like Descent.

Ohnonono

I am actually into pretty dark fantasy/horror stuff and I still think a lot of the design ideas seem like they come from 13 year old Reddit trolls. Not all of them mind you, but enough.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, BattleMonkey has it out for KD:M. ;)

As for the art, I love it. Hell, I was one of those people who wanted to order and paint the Wet Nurse when it first came out on CMON's shop years ago. So I guess I'm the exact crowd they're pandering to, ha.

The D&D series of games are for the price good entry points, Ravenloft, Drizzt, Elemental Evil.... They can be combined as well while Elemental Evil set included rules for campaign play to add more replay to the whole set of games.

Descent 2E and Imperial Assault are good too, more pricey but also these require one player to play as a dungeon master like aspect which you might not like. An app is out there now that lets you play fully coop with ai like features for Descent, with one on the way for Imperial Assault in the near future supposedly.

Mice and Mystics is great as well, but also needs a "bad guy" player.

D&D Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty great and relatively cheap. You can find people selling used copies for $30-40. Descent 2e with the RtL app is fantastic, too.

Thanks for suggestions I'm cool with dm stuff (its how Doom plays). Tomorrow my last pixel tactics expansions should come in giving me a full set till the mega man games come out. I even ordered 2 promo cards off ebay to add to my collection :X

I played Tiny Epic Western last night. It's surprisingly heavy for such a small game. I'm not going to go into too much detail but, the game is essentially a worker placement game where people are vying for for different resources in order to purchase buildings where a majority of the points come from. Worker placement spots are awarded based on a three card poker hand and the buildings you can build contain "shares" in the different industries in this Western town. There is a lot of moving parts and it is a bit of a brain burner.

The game's worker placement mechanism is pretty neat. The spaces to place workers are found on various building cards. Each card has two spaces, one for the building and one for the "porch" where player buildings are kept. Like with most worker placement games you can only have one player per spot. Unlike regular worker placement you can attack the other player in order to gain the spot. I won't go into combat, but it's fairly simple and it's more nuanced than you would think at first blush.

Anyway, long story short, the game features worker placement, poker, gunfights, and shares in industry. All in a box a bit bigger than two decks of cards. I had fun with it and look forward to playing it again. Of the Tiny Epic games I have played (this and Galaxies) I like Galaxies better, but this one is really solid.

Phthisis

Completely disagree. Descent and IA already are long ass slogs.

Keasar

Anyone heard from Tales from the Loop?

Really dig Stranger Things and love the art so I had to back it. The package is also pretty cheap.

I expressed my delight about the announcement in the PnP RPG thread. :p

But yes, super excited about it as I love Simon Stålenhag's Ur Varselklotet (Tales from the Loop) art books. I highly recommend picking up the two art books (Tales from the Loop and Things from the Flood) as well as they are great reads about a weird 80's Sweden where Sweden builds the worlds largest and most advanced particle accelerator and technology shoots forward at a incredible rate and how it is growing up as a kid in that world (written from the fictional perspective of Simon Stålenhag's childhood). Lovely art as well.

Anyone have Perdition's Mouth yet?

I backed it for $1 and later decided not to put any more in. I'm not really in the market for yet another dungeon crawler, but I'm curious about that one.

Top Bottom