• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

mercviper

Hey, thinking of some christmas gifts. Can anyone give me a quick primer on the best kickstarter boardgames? I know there's always something getting funded, but it's quite hard to keep an eye on them to see what actually delivers and is fun.

Preferably good stuff that doesn't take hours to set up or have 100+ miniatures included.

Why kickstarter specific for a christmas gift? I'm also assuming you want something that's readily available.

zulux21

Hey, thinking of some christmas gifts. Can anyone give me a quick primer on the best kickstarter boardgames? I know there's always something getting funded, but it's quite hard to keep an eye on them to see what actually delivers and is fun.

Preferably good stuff that doesn't take hours to set up or have 100+ miniatures included.

why just kickstarter?

i mean either way
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/8374/crowdfunding-kickstarter and then sort by rating

but still... why just kickstarter?

Purkake4

Banned
Why kickstarter specific for a christmas gift? I'm also assuming you want something that's readily available.
I'm just interested in stuff that's come out of kickstarter that's good, as those seem to go a bit more under the radar. I'm generally familiar with the classics. It's mostly christmas gifts for myself to play with others.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No Eldritch Horror!

Ha! Hey I still played nine hours of Arkham Files game, cut me some slack. :p (Also expecting that Arkham Card Game will easily be in the 20+ hours range in December.) Just putting 2+2 together that you're on BGG and YT too -- watched one of your playthroughs! :D

Noaloha

Ha! Hey I still played nine hours of Arkham Files game, cut me some slack. :p (Also expecting that Arkham Card Game will easily be in the 20+ hours range in December.) Just putting 2+2 together that you're on BGG and YT too -- watched one of your playthroughs! :D

Ah, fair enough. :) And yeah, AHtcg has been an enjoyable opportunity to practice playing + talking over my own gameplay. I'm still very inexperienced with that sort of stuff and it's honestly pretty difficult, ha. I hope whichever playthrough you watched wasn't too painful from a sloppy rules-adhering perspective.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Question about the Mysterious Chanting treachery in Arkham. It says to place two doom on the nearest cultist enemy and if there are no cultists in play to search the deck and discard pile and encounter deck for one.

So, if you have to search for a cultist do you still put on two doom? I played it like that, which results in 3 doom since an acolyte adds a doom. Think I played it wrong.

Phthisis

Got a full six player game of Virgin Queen set up for Saturday. It's beautiful.

RD2HM1Dl.jpg:large

Noaloha

Question about the Mysterious Chanting treachery in Arkham. It says to place two doom on the nearest cultist enemy and if there are no cultists in play to search the deck and discard pile and encounter deck for one.

So, if you have to search for a cultist do you still put on two doom? I played it like that, which results in 3 doom since an acolyte adds a doom. Think I played it wrong.

Yeah that's wrong, it's a main effect, +2 doom, with a separate backup effect should there be no cultist to carry the first effect. Either +2 on an existing cultist, or just a cultist of your choice.

One slight thing about that card (and similarly worded effects), where it says search deck and discard you do actually have to search both, technically speaking, even if you just search one. Basically, you always have to shuffle the encounter deck, even if you only searched for a cultist in the discard. This might possibly come into play when you're, say, Scrying the encounter deck and arranging the next three cards and come across a Mysterious Chanting. (I was originally reading that card as "shuffle the encounter deck only if you look at it, because obviously you now need to shuffle it up again.")

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One slight thing about that card (and similarly worded effects), where it says search deck and discard you do actually have to search both, technically speaking, even if you just search one. Basically, you always have to shuffle the encounter deck, even if you only searched for a cultist in the discard. This might possibly come into play when you're, say, Scrying the encounter deck and arranging the next three cards and come across a Mysterious Chanting. (I was originally reading that card as "shuffle the encounter deck only if you look at it, because obviously you now need to shuffle it up again.")

On the last part -- do you get to choose a cultist? We played you do.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's wrong, it's a main effect, +2 doom, with a separate backup effect should there be no cultist to carry the first effect. Either +2 on an existing cultist, or just a cultist of your choice.

Cool, thanks. Makes more sense.

Blizzard

Banned
The Harry Potter Shop saga continues. About 6 hours after I talked to a different representative who was having a hard time understanding that I COULD NOT reject the package because it had already been delivered, I called back to ask about the shipping label.

It turns out in those 6 hours, the label had still not been created or emailed to me. Now they say they have sent it, but there's still nothing in email a few minutes later. *edit* The label eventually showed up in email.

Barsinister

Banned
Anyone familiar with Boss Monster? I've seen it while finishing my Pixel Tactics collection and was wondering if it was any good.

I have Boss Monster 2. It's pretty much the same as the first, though. The game is very light and plays fast. I use it as a filler game from time to time. The artwork is fine and the rules are simple and straightforward.

You choose a Boss and use cards to build a dungeon that heroes will traverse. Each card will do a certain amount of damage to the hero as he passes from card to card. If the damage is greater than the hero's health, you collect his/her soul. If the hero make's it to you, you lose a life point. There a cards you can play to affect other players or yourself, but it's pretty much just laying cards and having the heroes go through.

I have Boss Monster 2. It's pretty much the same as the first, though. The game is very light and plays fast. I use it as a filler game from time to time. The artwork is fine and the rules are simple and straightforward.

You choose a Boss and use cards to build a dungeon that heroes will traverse. Each card will do a certain amount of damage to the hero as he passes from card to card. If the damage is greater than the hero's health, you collect his/her soul. If the hero make's it to you, you lose a life point. There a cards you can play to affect other players or yourself, but it's pretty much just laying cards and having the heroes go through.

Yeah watched some gameplay it seems like a game that is better played on ipad since a lot of the gameplay seems kinda automatic.

Slacker

When I read about Boss Monster it seemed genius. After playing it a couple times I realized that the design is pretty limiting and a little too luck heavy. It's not a bad game for inciting nostalgia feels, but it's not fun for me.

Got Above and Below and Isle of Sky on the table tonight. Really really enjoyed both.

Got Above and Below and Isle of Sky on the table tonight. Really really enjoyed both.

Above and Below is so good; I really need to get that to the table soon. Can't wait for Near and Far either. I pretty much blindly backed that as soon as it said it was a sequel to Above and Below.

Also Isle of Skye is definitely my favorite, light, tile-laying game. The scoring of the game, as well as the player-driven economy is so great. Simple but with tough choices nearly every round. Fantastic games, both of them.

Thanks for all the comments, think I'll pass for now unless I can get it super cheap. Was hoping for a more strategic/unique game like pixel tactics. Anyone got good suggestions on that front that don't cause like $100+ dollars to start?

mercviper

I'm just interested in stuff that's come out of kickstarter that's good, as those seem to go a bit more under the radar. I'm generally familiar with the classics. It's mostly christmas gifts for myself to play with others.
I believe Compounded was kickstarted. Light trading game with a chemistry theme. Also I think Tim Fowers has kickstarted all his games and I liked Paperback and Burgle Bros.

Great little warmup game, you explain it in 5 minutes and most people like it.

Echos my thoughts and experiences exactly.

There is a larger discussion here for the need/preference for warm up games and palate cleansers between larger sessions that would be worth having. I'm a big fan of them and games like Boss Monster fill that niche very well. I'm curious what other light/quick games that others routinely shuffle in-between larger games or use as a warm up.

Lupercal

Banned
Echos my thoughts and experiences exactly.

There is a larger discussion here for the need/preference for warm up games and palate cleansers between larger sessions that would be worth having. I'm a big fan of them and games like Boss Monster fill that niche very well. I'm curious what other light/quick games that others routinely shuffle in-between larger games or use as a warm up.

We use Boss Monster, Chinatown, Coup, Love Letter, Bang: Dice Game, sometimes Munchkin, Sushi Go! And Yomi (if we have a lot of players).

Ohnonono

Some short thoughts on AH:LCG now that I have about 7 plays in. I really think this is one of the best games I have played. I was a little worried that like many co-op games the race against the timer or doom would end up making the explore for clues action the single most important thing in the game. Through clever card design and giving some real stakes to all kinds of tests they seem to have made a game where you can actually play thematically. I always felt like I had to math out and pretty much break LOTR:LCG when I played that. This feels like I can build more types of decks. For instance my Agnes deck "should" be horrible at investigating and pretty bad at everything but willpower tests. Through cards that allow you to convert tests to willpower, or go about solving problems in a different way to gain the same effect, she does have ways to deal with everything provided you play well and get some luck. I also VERY much undervalued some of the 5 cost cards in the game. Dynamite I think everyone looked at and said "sure that is great." But the Survivor card that lets you mass evade is as powerful if not better, and could have won me the final scenario numerous times.

In short I am not trying to make my Agnes deck play like a Daisy deck, or a Skids deck. I am playing an Agnes deck thematically like an Agnes deck, and it works. I suppose what I am getting at is that in LOTR I feel like most decks would trend toward the same thing because you had to have your deck playing a certain way to win. You needed all "currencies" in order to be victorious with a few exceptions. In this game it feels like you can use what you do well to try to hedge your bets on the stuff your bad at.

For single deck solo play this game seems like someone actually thought about it longer than a second. "Just play two decks" feels like something I wont ever HAVE to do unless I just want to.

It is so good. IMO

mercviper

Nah, munchkin is a very different game. Munchkin is very shallow but in a good way. Boss Monster, which I still enjoy, is a lot more structured.

Not sure how you can say it's very different. Instead of kicking down doors for a random monster that you may or may not have enough gear for you open your dungeon up to a random hero that you may or may not have a proper dungeon layout for. You also fuck with other people's encounters with the cards in your hands and it's all about killing that Nth hero instead of monster. Really the only difference is you have a rube goldberg machine if everyone else doesn't touch your place.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played three new (to me) games at game night last night:
-Bloodborne was pretty much the goofy push-your-luck, outguess-others role-selection game I was hoping for and expecting. It played quick and we were always engaged since you blitz through a new Monster every round. The one downside was that we got the Final Boss that heals you every round, and I thought that took away some of the tension of dying -- only one person died in our game though to be fair we also only hit the 1/3 exploding dice faces three times out of like 25 rolls of the Monster attack dice.

-Oceanos was the real surprise hit for me. I knew it would be good, and Bauza is my favorite designer and drafting one of my favorite mechanics, but I didn't realize what breezy fun it could be. The art in the game is absolutely amazing, and the production overall (upgrading your ship parts individually) just makes the game that much more fun. And then every round you're faced with some pretty tough decisions when drafting, and with the divers you also have a push-your-luck of sorts.

-Happy Turkey Day was a silly fast card game one of the folks brought in from HK. Totally inappropriate with the various fat jokes it has, but I actually found it quite fun.

Also, yesterday BG Stats launched a new feature of allowing you to do 10x10 (or any number) challenges, so I went ahead and committed myself to one for 2017 (I set it to "Hardcore" too so there's no changing games). I think I have a good mix in here:

qT4kHuZ.jpg

Not sure how you can say it's very different. Instead of kicking down doors for a random monster that you may or may not have enough gear for you open your dungeon up to a random hero that you may or may not have a proper dungeon layout for. You also fuck with other people's encounters with the cards in your hands and it's all about killing that Nth hero instead of monster. Really the only difference is you have a rube goldberg machine if everyone else doesn't touch your place.

You're reeeeeally stretching here. I feel like they have nothing in common at all other than they are fluffy, simple games.

mercviper

You're reeeeeally stretching here. I feel like they have nothing in common at all other than they are fluffy, simple games.

I can admit exaggeration when I say it's a reskin, given that there are actually different mechanics, but I don't think I'm wrong to say that it fills the same niche and that you can base a recommendation for it off of how much someone likes or dislikes munchkin.

I actually looked at a how to play vid for BM just in case I was thinking of some other game and no it's definitely the game I felt had munchkin vibes the entire time. RNG heros that show up and encourages all vs 1 fuckery based on who has 9 souls to try and get their 10th xp point to win the game.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Some short thoughts on AH:LCG now that I have about 7 plays in. I really think this is one of the best games I have played. I was a little worried that like many co-op games the race against the timer or doom would end up making the explore for clues action the single most important thing in the game. Through clever card design and giving some real stakes to all kinds of tests they seem to have made a game where you can actually play thematically. I always felt like I had to math out and pretty much break LOTR:LCG when I played that. This feels like I can build more types of decks. For instance my Agnes deck "should" be horrible at investigating and pretty bad at everything but willpower tests. Through cards that allow you to convert tests to willpower, or go about solving problems in a different way to gain the same effect, she does have ways to deal with everything provided you play well and get some luck. I also VERY much undervalued some of the 5 cost cards in the game. Dynamite I think everyone looked at and said "sure that is great." But the Survivor card that lets you mass evade is as powerful if not better, and could have won me the final scenario numerous times.

In short I am not trying to make my Agnes deck play like a Daisy deck, or a Skids deck. I am playing an Agnes deck thematically like an Agnes deck, and it works. I suppose what I am getting at is that in LOTR I feel like most decks would trend toward the same thing because you had to have your deck playing a certain way to win. You needed all "currencies" in order to be victorious with a few exceptions. In this game it feels like you can use what you do well to try to hedge your bets on the stuff your bad at.

For single deck solo play this game seems like someone actually thought about it longer than a second. "Just play two decks" feels like something I wont ever HAVE to do unless I just want to.

It is so good. IMO

I love it. Need to try it some more with just one deck. Hungry for more cards. It will be nice once mythos packs start rolling in.

Wish my local store would get the playmat already.

Aaron

Just got Eldritch Horror... holy shit are there a lot of tokens. And the game board is huge! Glad it can be played solo because no way I can take this to my semi-casual game night. The tables aren't big enough. Quality product though. Definitely feels worth the price.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just got Eldritch Horror... holy shit are there a lot of tokens. And the game board is huge! Glad it can be played solo because no way I can take this to my semi-casual game night. The tables aren't big enough. Quality product though. Definitely feels worth the price.

Yeah that's probably true if you're limited on table space. But in terms of complexity most of the games in the Arkham Files as long as you learn them pat you can definitely play with a semi-casual group. Heck, I played Arkham Horror with my family back in the day. You realize that 90% of the complexity is just from the shit you manage for the game and not so much the player's own gameplay, which is usually pretty straightforward. Don't play it over 4 (or even 3 imo) though.

EYEL1NER

Relic + both expansions, a Formula D expansion track, and Edo all arrived yesterday from the FFG sale. I'm excited to have them all, especially Relic. The Formula D track will probably be the first out of those to make its way to the table though. I also just recently got Colt Express which I need to learn. And a few hours ago I won an auction for Catacombs 3E along with everything else from its 2014 Kickstarter.
I think I'm probably done picking up anything else for the rest of the year, outside of the Rogue One ships from X-Wing's Wave 10 that will be out two or so weeks. EDIT: Oops, forgot that I also need to place an order with EGG so I can get that copy of Caveman Curling that I want.

fenners

Great Western Trail gets a big thumbs up for the eurogamers out there.

It's got some deck building, but it's there's a great deal more - route optimization, engine building, point salad etc ;) Think the road in Caylus, but you're going up it multiple times in a game, you're building tiles along the way that benefit you only, and optimizing your hand of cards (and improving your deck) to deliver the best "hand" at the end of the road to get progressively better rewards.

A lot going on, without being too complicated or thinky - turns are quick, even with the AP guys I play with, but there's a definite longterm strategy/engine to build towards.

Well impressed, as was everyone that played, and it'll hit the table again quickly (which is a bit endorsement in my group).

Protome

I finally picked up Pandemic Legacy and my girlfriend and I played our first game. I really love the legacy system, can't wait to find out what it throws at us in future games.

So Ora et Labora was the last of Uwe's big games that I've yet to play until just now. Played it solo, took about 3 hours of reading the rules and set-up. It's a beast of a game; I felt it harder to grasp the flow and scope of the game than his other titles. But wow. It's solidly in the top 4 Uwe games for me. A Feast for Odin and Le Havre are my 1-2, but Ora is already a contender for the 3/4 spot vs Fields of Arle and At the Gates of Loyang.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Welp we pulled out Kingdom Death because of the kickstarter and started a new camapign. We played all day but it is our best progress yet! Can we beat it this time? Will we be party wiped soon? Will the party wipe even happen during a fight? We shall find out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Welp we pulled out Kingdom Death because of the kickstarter and started a new camapign. We played all day but it is our best progress yet! Can we beat it this time? Will we be party wiped soon? Will the party wipe even happen during a fight? We shall find out.

Can't wait to join this train!

Protome

I had a board game day yesterday to catch up on some stuff before our GOTY podcast.

Deep Sea Adventure - Really simple little push your luck game by Oink where everyone is trying to dive deep into the sea to collect treasure and then bring it back up to a submarine without running out of air. The catch being, everyone shares air so if one person decides to pick up all the treasure an use 6 air per turn they can cause everyone to die which is hilarious. I really enjoyed this one (which to be fair, I love most of Oink's output.)

Fabled Fruit - Another simple game where everyone is drawing cards with fruit on them and using those fruit to buy victory points. The trick in this one being that the victory point cards all have rules on them and you get more fruit by activating a rule card (eg: Draw 2 Fruit or Exchange 1 Banana with a player for 2 fruit.) As you buy victory points you are removing those rules from the game and drawing new rules.
It also has what I've seen people call a simplified Legacy system (they call it a Fable system themselves) but all that really means is that it comes with a LOT of cards and they are numbered so you can play it in order. I ended up buying a copy of this right after.

Inis - I've been wanting to get to this for a while, I had it preordered for a while but Matagot saw fit to reduce their shipment numbers to the UK, fucking over a bunch of retailers and getting my preorder cancelled. I'm definitely not bitter.
It has been talked about in here a lot already but it's a fun territory control game with a Celtic theme and a card drafting mechanic which restricts what you can actually do each round. I really enjoyed it although ended up giving the game away due to my inability to do basic maths (two players where about to win, i fought them both in one area, driving them out only to realise one still had enough territories to win. Woops)

Scythe - This one was scary. There's so much stuff and so many bits of the board and decks of cards and wooden and plastic things and...it's actually super easy to play. We didn't manage to get through a whole game because we were low on time but I'm definitely going to go back to it (I have a preorder for a copy in the second print run, here's hoping that comes through...)

Played Elder Sign a week ago. It's one I pull out every so often as it's one of the games I keep in my car "just in case."

Anyway, the first game went pretty easy. Everyone was rolling well. We only missed getting one room on the first try. Elder/Great One didn't even have any doom tokens when we got all the Elder Signs we needed.

Then we played again. One of the players IRL called out the name of the King in Yellow three times before starting (over our objections). Right away, the game went pretty sour. Could not complete rooms worth a damn. Even ones that should have been easy. We barely won, but we ended up having to fight the chosen Old One because its doom track filled (it was one of the ones that came with the expansion that introduces Blessed/cursed). Also, a Mythos effect caused the offending player who recited the name to be devoured.

As someone who fell in love with, and then very harshly fell out of love with, Sentinels of the Multiverse, will Aeon's End bring that love back? Here are my perceptions of this new co-op game:

- Less fiddly/bookkeeping than Sentinels
- Deck building mechanic instead of pre-made decks
- Dark monster fantasy > Superheroes
- Cheap to pick up like Sentinels, with lots of room for expansion

Basically with the main mechanic being Deckbuilding, I already feel like the turn-to-turn decisions will at least be deeper than the "oh this combo is in my hand I better play it" that Sentinels became.

Halp. I got Battle Line and how the fuck am I supposed to remove the shrink wrap for the tactic cards? I do not want the damage the cards by going at it with a blade.

Update: SO had an ingenious idea to use a staple. Fuck you GMT.

Top Bottom