• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
There is a section of designer's notes in the rules in which he outright says he wants the game to be kind of nasty. That's probably why the obnoxious stuff like Assassin / Witch / Warlord is still there.

I normally swap out Assassin and Warlord at minimum since even the Witch is better than losing your turn entirely. The new rules includes several suggested character + card combinations depending on what sort of game style you want.

The new buildings are also intended to help the game flow faster.

See it's funny because I actually like Assassin and Thief since they target characters and not players. That is exciting and thematic and encourages guessing and second-guessing nastiness that defines the game. But just pew pew I'll pay all my gold to burn down your building and now we're both screwed; that's game design straight out of 1975.

Blizzard

Banned
See it's funny because I actually like Assassin and Thief since they target characters and not players. That is exciting and thematic and encourages guessing and second-guessing nastiness that defines the game. But just pew pew I'll pay all my gold to burn down your building and now we're both screwed; that's game design straight out of 1975.
He actually says he wants "light", "nasty", and "ruthless" rather than "strategic".

I -think- a few character cards were slightly changed for balance (Artist?), but Witch and Warlord seem the same.

The Warlord alternates are Diplomat (swap districts, pay the other player if theirs was more expensive), and Marshall (seize someone's district that costs 3 or less and add it to your own city, paying them the gold cost).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I play Diplomat, though Marshall sounds pretty cool too. Again, I'm not against nastiness at all, but unless we're playing just a fuck you no fuck you game I do like some thought in the way it's implemented. And the irony here is that Citadels itself in the other roles has that thoughtfulness about attacking others! I mean if you're sitting on 3 yellows and I pick Assassin to kill the King, that's pretty blatantly mean, but on the receiving end you can think about OK how much are people gunning for me, and duck it if you need to by picking another role, leading to someone else getting the crossfire. That's fun (to me; many hate Citadels) and ruthless!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up the Curse of the Rugarou scenario for the Arkham LCG. Looks pretty cool..lots of locations. Going to try it standalone a few times first I think.

Iced

I think I'm finally gonna take the plunge and start painting my miniatures (the new Doom minis are just too good). Anyone have any advice for a newbie? I live in Toronto, Ontario, so any shops you can recommend in my area would be appreciated!

Edit: Did a bit of research and saw someone recommend Meeplemart for paint. Not quite sure where I'd begin, as there are a LOT of options. Sorting by best sellers, I see Army Painter coming up a lot.

Edit2: Found these on Amazon: Vallejo Basic USA Colors Paint Set, 17ml. Can anyone comment on the quality? Seems like a good deal.

I think I'm finally gonna take the plunge and start painting my miniatures (the new Doom minis are just too good). Anyone have any advice for a newbie? I live in Toronto, Ontario, so any shops you can recommend in my area would be appreciated!

Practice on minis you don't care about first.

After about three iterations of "doing a great job" you are probably ready to wreck your good ones ;)

Iced

Practice on minis you don't care about first.

After about three iterations of "doing a great job" you are probably ready to wreck your good ones ;)

Yep, that's definitely part of the plan! I'm gonna buy some cheapo miniatures to practice on before I move onto the ones I actually care about. I'll likely do Doom last.

Blizzard

Banned
I played Tiny Epic Galaxies with 2 players. It seems pretty light and fun, though it went on longer than I expected and had some complexity with copying player actions.

I agree on the Warlord. You are usually sacrificing your own position to screw someone else over. Other roles help you build up your district but Warlord doesn't really help you much outside the red gold bonus. It makes 1 cost districts pretty worthless because someone can blow it up for free. And it makes the game go longer. My usual go to set up I think is Witch, Thief, Magician, King, Bishop, Architect, Diplomat.

Keasar

There is a thing that I realized still bothers me with Fantasy Flight LCGs while digging through my copy of Arkham Horror TCG, it's this thing that if you want a full collection of some cards in a Core Set, you have to buy another or multiple Core Sets, take those specific cards out and then just toss the rest away.

I dunno if FFG have changed this recently but have they announced or ever done something similar to Mage Wars' core set packs where they sell those extra cards in smaller packs containing the exact amount of each card to get a full set of every with the regular Core Set? Or have they commented on why/why not?

EDIT:
Shut Up & Sit Down have released a review of Kingdom Death: Monster in regards to the currently open Kickstarter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3VzOayLcYs
Watching it right now (it is long).

XShagrath

There is a thing that I realized still bothers me with Fantasy Flight LCGs while digging through my copy of Arkham Horror TCG, it's this thing that if you want a full collection of some cards in a Core Set, you have to buy another or multiple Core Sets, take those specific cards out and then just toss the rest away.

I dunno if FFG have changed this recently but have they announced or ever done something similar to Mage Wars' core set packs where they sell those extra cards in smaller packs containing the exact amount of each card to get a full set of every with the regular Core Set? Or have they commented on why/why not?

This is something FFG have always done, and it's always discussed ad nauseam on BGG. Their reasoning (at least from what I gather) is that they want to provide the best variety and experience out of the core set. I'm sure research has been done that shows they'll make more profit by not selling "completion" packs, and that people who are really into the game will buy multiple cores, although they've never come out and officially said why they don't offer these packs.

I'm just going to stick with one core and see where things lead as the card pool expands. If these core cards end up being "essentials" after a few mythos packs, then maybe I'll try to pick up another one.

Cappa

Banned
Hi friends,

Me and my girlfriend are completely new to board games and living card games. Our first purchase was Forbidden Island because it seemed simple and reviews said it was fun. It was both but after awhile the game became a bit dull.

We are huge Game of Thrones fans so we purchased A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Second Edition and while the game seems fun it seems to be WAY out of our league in terms of difficulty. Ive tried watching the official Youtube video by Fantasy Flight games about how to play but Im still left with many questions. Ive tried searching for others but have had no luck so was hoping maybe someone here can link to a video online that does a better job of explaining how to play, like for a complete beginner or a written tutorial somewhere? (The manual sucks and it doesnt help that me and my girlfriends first language isnt Spanish, I am American she is Chinese but we live in Spain and she doesnt speak much English lol).

While Im here, can anyone recommend some really good two player board games or LCG? I have Jaipur and Pandemic on my list to buy, dont know if those two are good starts for beginners?

thanks !

Ohnonono

Hi friends,

Me and my girlfriend are completely new to board games and living card games. Our first purchase was Forbidden Island because it seemed simple and reviews said it was fun. It was both but after awhile the game became a bit dull.

We are huge Game of Thrones fans so we purchased A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Second Edition and while the game seems fun it seems to be WAY out of our league in terms of difficulty. Ive tried watching the official Youtube video by Fantasy Flight games about how to play but Im still left with many questions. Ive tried searching for others but have had no luck so was hoping maybe someone here can link to a video online that does a better job of explaining how to play, like for a complete beginner or a written tutorial somewhere? (The manual sucks and it doesnt help that me and my girlfriends first language isnt Spanish, I am American she is Chinese but we live in Spain and she doesnt speak much English lol).

While Im here, can anyone recommend some really good two player board games or LCG? I have Jaipur and Pandemic on my list to buy, dont know if those two are good starts for beginners?

thanks !

The new Arkham Horror LCG is pretty fantastic. Pandemic: The Cure is a fantastic dice game. Arkham Has some good play through videos out there as well and you can D/L the english rules offline. Though with that much card text you may want to try to get english copies of the game.

Ripenen

Hi friends,

thanks !

Carcassonne plays really well with 2 players. It's very easy to learn and doesn't require any reading during the game which might help with the language issue. Patchwork is similar and also fun. I think Patchwork is the cheaper of the two.

Pandemic isn't that great with 2 players in my experience. Jaipur is pretty good. Another to look at is Splendor. It plays well with 2 and is quick and easy to pick up.

Original Pandemic is great with 2 players but you each need to play 2 characters.

My favorite 2 player game is Space Hulk, but that may be too deep of a dive for people just getting their feet wet, lol.

Cappa

Banned
thanks all! Will look into all your suggestions... sucks that Pandemic isnt really much of a 2 player game I had thought it was 2 player friendly.

Is Carcassone fun though? I know its a game a lot of people recommend but it just never grabbed my attention, are there different versions out there that are better than the original? Ill check out Patchwork never heard of that one before.

Ill look into the Space Hulk and Arkham Knight games, both seem really interesting to us but they do seem to be as diffuclt as AGOT tho so maybe in the future. :)

Lupercal

Banned
Great 2 player games I can recommend are :
Space Hulk : Death Angel (Card game)
Pixel Tactics (Card game)
Blood Bowl Team Manager (Card game)
Star Realms (Card game)

X Wing Miniatures (dexterity based space combat and tactical elements, also prepainted and not to expensive used!)

Neuroshima Hex (Tactical Tile Placement, kinda like Chess in a way)
Twillight Struggle (very advanced though, but once you're into it, you're in deep)

Eldritch Horror (LoveCraft Coop game)
Kaosball (Miniature Based BloodBowl Lookalike, less rules though)

Quantum (Zone Control elements and evolving your dice to different ships, very fun, works great from 2 to 4)

Russian Railroads (great eurogame)

Li Kao

I wanted to chime in about Black Plague yesterday but couldn't find the time.
So the honeymoon was nice but seems to have ended with mission #2. And yeah, maybe I'm in a bad mood because of the epic failure of each of our attempt.
Is the game hard as nail and totally luck based ? Because after these attempts it really seems so.
So my feedback from a whole game night ?

- Well, the Dwarf is the only survivor that can kill fatties and when you are shit out of luck like I was, he won't touch even a door with three attempts.

- Then the other survivors must search-whore like crazies (not fun at all) in the hope of finding some 2 damages weapons and the Abomination killing combo. But as was the theme that night, we found apples, water or what have you, everything but useful stuff.

- Then in the Zombies side it was double invasion galore, and the Abomination and Necromancer were regularly on board.
Yeah, I was a little pissed.

I do honestly wonder what we where doing wrong. There may be something I've missed. We very rarely even have the opportunity to open one green or blue colored door, we were stomped even before that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wanted to chime in about Black Plague yesterday but couldn't find the time.
So the honeymoon was nice but seems to have ended with mission #2. And yeah, maybe I'm in a bad mood because of the epic failure of each of our attempt.
Is the game hard as nail and totally luck based ? Because after these attempts it really seems so.
So my feedback from a whole game night ?

- Well, the Dwarf is the only survivor that can kill fatties and when you are shit out of luck like I was, he won't touch even a door with three attempts.

- Then the other survivors must search-whore like crazies (not fun at all) in the hope of finding some 2 damages weapons and the Abomination killing combo. But as was the theme that night, we found apples, water or what have you, everything but useful stuff.

- Then in the Zombies side it was double invasion galore, and the Abomination and Necromancer were regularly on board.
Yeah, I was a little pissed.

I do honestly wonder what we where doing wrong. There may be something I've missed. We very rarely even have the opportunity to open one green or blue colored door, we were stomped even before that.

It's funny. Mission #1 started out as a shit show for me. I also had regular double spawn + necro + double activations causing me grief. But you sort of take that shit in strides. You drew 4 double spawns and 3 necros? The next x turns will be smooth sailing because none of that shit is in the deck at the moment.

I've read a lot of "tips" on the game. The biggest things I see are that it's super important to search early to gear up, share weapons and torches, open big buildings early on and abuse the LOS/noise system. Kiting and luring zombies is awesome. When shit got out of hand in my last game, I would spend a turn moving zombies with noise and LOS abuse.

Of course, I play with one major house rule that makes the game more fun. I don't go "clockwise" or "set turn order". Each turn has a character activation based on the situation. It's not really RAW, but I don't care. It makes it more fun. It's the same reason I will remove the Cabal rule since, apparently, you can have a bad draw that immediately ends the game.

mercviper

thanks all! Will look into all your suggestions... sucks that Pandemic isnt really much of a 2 player game I had thought it was 2 player friendly.

Is Carcassone fun though? I know its a game a lot of people recommend but it just never grabbed my attention, are there different versions out there that are better than the original? Ill check out Patchwork never heard of that one before.

Ill look into the Space Hulk and Arkham Knight games, both seem really interesting to us but they do seem to be as diffuclt as AGOT tho so maybe in the future. :)

I've always thought pandemic worked fine with 2 players, it's just leagues easier with smaller player counts but the nice thing about pandemic is you can always adjust difficulty.

Hanabi is a great co-op card game that plays 2-5 or if you want something more competitive you can try Raptor.

Iced

I posted this over at BGG but I thought I'd look for some input here too, since I am going shopping tomorrow.

Looking to get something for my father on Christmas day that we can play with my two siblings. We played Settlers of Catan for years and we really enjoyed it, but it's gotten a bit stale lately. Looking for something to take its place. I feel like Catan had just the right amount of conflict, so I wouldn't want anything with more than that. Not necessarily looking for a Euro game like Catan, but just using it as a reference for something we all really enjoyed.

My dad suffered a stroke several years ago and lost partial vision in his left eye, so he has difficulty sometimes with small text. Looking for something that won't be a burden on his eyes.

I'd like for the game to scale well between 2-4 people, because we're not always all there at the same time. Preferably plays best with 3-4, though.

It really needs to be easy to learn. I don't want to introduce a game where I'll need to go over the rules for half an hour. Something with depth that reveals itself on multiple plays.

I'm considering picking up "Welcome to the Dungeon" as a filler, as I own the sequel "Welcome Back" and really enjoy it. I'd like something bigger/a bit more in depth to accompany it, though.

Thanks in advance!

fenners

Looking to get something for my father on Christmas day that we can play with my two siblings.

It might not be the new hotness, but Ticket To Ride really sounds perfect for your requirements. No text other than location names, all cards have symbols/colours, and it scales well between 2 to 4, and can be as 'nice' or nasty as you want to agree to play it. Easy to teach too.

Li Kao

It's funny. Mission #1 started out as a shit show for me. I also had regular double spawn + necro + double activations causing me grief. But you sort of take that shit in strides. You drew 4 double spawns and 3 necros? The next x turns will be smooth sailing because none of that shit is in the deck at the moment.

I've read a lot of "tips" on the game. The biggest things I see are that it's super important to search early to gear up, share weapons and torches, open big buildings early on and abuse the LOS/noise system. Kiting and luring zombies is awesome. When shit got out of hand in my last game, I would spend a turn moving zombies with noise and LOS abuse.

Of course, I play with one major house rule that makes the game more fun. I don't go "clockwise" or "set turn order". Each turn has a character activation based on the situation. It's not really RAW, but I don't care. It makes it more fun. It's the same reason I will remove the Cabal rule since, apparently, you can have a bad draw that immediately ends the game.

Oh shit, I just realized how wrong I was in mission 1 to keep the big building for last. Yes that means a whole lot of zombies, but opening it later is a very bad idea indeed.
That won't help in M2 but it will be really useful later I suppose.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Team Covenant youtube channel previewed a bunch of the new cards and investigators for the Dunwich expansion for the Arkham LCG. Some really cool cards and art.

emag

Looking to get something for my father on Christmas day that we can play with my two siblings.

How about Stone Age? It's not all that deep, but it appears to meet your other criteria. Easy to learn, no text (and large icons/pieces), scales well for 2-4 players, Catan-like in gathering resources and turning them in for points/upgrades, no direct attacking but blocking-based conflict.

Iced

How about Stone Age? It's not all that deep, but it appears to meet your other criteria. Easy to learn, no text (and large icons/pieces), scales well for 2-4 players, Catan-like in gathering resources and turning them in for points/upgrades, no direct attacking but blocking-based conflict.

Is it too much like Catan, though? I'm not looking to get something that has the same feel, since we've played Catan right into the ground.

emag

Is it too much like Catan, though? I'm not looking to get something that has the same feel, since we've played Catan right into the ground.

I don't think it's too much like Catan. There's no building of roads or villages/cities (no spatial element at all), there's no automatic generation of resources on other players' turns (instead, each turn everyone places workers to harvest particular resources), and no trading between players. There's some conceptual/thematic overlap (and dice!) that should make it easier to learn for someone who's familiar with Catan, but the game mechanics are very different.

Karkador

Banned
It might not be the new hotness, but Ticket To Ride really sounds perfect for your requirements. No text other than location names, all cards have symbols/colours, and it scales well between 2 to 4, and can be as 'nice' or nasty as you want to agree to play it. Easy to teach too.

I second this suggestion

Karkador

Banned
Hi friends,

thanks !

See if this helps with Game of Thrones:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/135856/game-thrones-lcg-2nd-edition-reference-sheet

It's a fan made reference sheet explaining the rules in a clearer way. You'll have to login to BGG to download it, but you should definitely make an account (it's free) if you haven't already.

There are lots of helpful resources when you're having trouble figuring out how to play.

Experien

Sounds like Zombicide to me!

Never thought to play this game as a campaign but more of random silly one-offs that no one takes seriously with massive amount of zombies on the board.

I played Broom Service for the second time last night, and it is such a fun game. It's fairly simple once you understand the brave vs. cowardly actions and the flow from making to delivering a potion, but it gets really interesting when you play your cards while factoring in if you are in a good position to perform a brave action or not. The only downside is that none of our games have come close to the "30-75" minutes playtime they advertise. More like 2.5 hours for our group.

I suppose it is a game that has an element of luck to it as well. People that prefer pure worker placement games that don't have you disrupting each others plans may not like this game.

Sounds like Zombicide to me!

Never thought to play this game as a campaign but more of random silly one-offs that no one takes seriously with massive amount of zombies on the board.

You gotta campaign it! With a few tweaks and the introduction of all the different zombie types you can take the base game to the next lvl of fuckery. Deal the characters at random at the start. You play until that character dies for good. If a character gets turned into a zombivor, you start the next mission as a zombivor. Once the zombivor dies, you get a random character delt for the next mission. Meanwhile, that zombivor gets a Lost Zombivor card added to the zombie draw deck. When selected you spawn a single zombivor who is treated just like a walker but has 5 wounds. It's great seeing old characters return from the dead later in a campaign and have to deal with.

We let people carry over any dog and human companions they find too. You need all that extra help when you are fighting 18 different types & styles of zombies. Shit gets crazy real fast.

Lupercal

Banned
I bought the second edition of Game of thrones the board game for 40€, has anyone played ? Any tips before i jump in?

Great price!

FFG has a great tutorial on Youtube, I advise you check it out.
More over, play with atleast 4-5 players. You can play it with less but then one side of the board isn't used to start and a certain house has a major advantage.

Also use boats!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh shit, I just realized how wrong I was in mission 1 to keep the big building for last. Yes that means a whole lot of zombies, but opening it later is a very bad idea indeed.
That won't help in M2 but it will be really useful later I suppose.

I think anytime you can open buildings early, it will help. Looking at future missions, that's definitely one of the first things I'll work to do. That and search whore. Getting a torch and trading that around is cheese, but super helpful.

Another thing I completely disregarded until the last few turns of M1 was dual wielding. It's insanely good. Dual daggers can just mow throw walkers for easy XP.

I'm actually really excited for Wulfsburg to show up so I can add more items to the deck. One of my favorite things about adventure-ish games like this is how many items there are and how they can shape your approach to the game. Yeah, it boils down to melee vs ranged vs magic, but there's something awesome about killing shit with a broadsword instead of a dagger. ;P

E: I played three turns of M2 over lunch. Opened door, Necro spawns with a walker. No biggie. Kill it and eliminate a spawn on the bottom of the map. Next spawn phase, Necro with a double spawn. OK - move to next spawn point -> Necro (escapes), Necro.

Fuck. I mean, I SHOULD be OK and scrape out a win after getting fucked this quick, but I feel like I need to start over and do a better job shuffling the deck. I had this problem in M0 and M1 - too many back to back to back double spawns and Necros.

Also!

I think I've talked myself out of backing Kingdom Death. I want it so bad, but I think it's because I want a "Monster Hunter" board game. I don't think the cost of entry is worth it anymore when I consider my other hobbies and the other games I want to buy/expand upon.

Li Kao

Is there not a paint remover that can be applied if you mess up?

Well, my FLGS told me that you can immerse plastic minis one night (?) in Glanzer. The thing will eat the paint but leave the plastic untouched. Pretty hardcore solution but it feels good to know you have that option just in case.

E-flux

Great price!

FFG has a great tutorial on Youtube, I advise you check it out.
More over, play with atleast 4-5 players. You can play it with less but then one side of the board isn't used to start and a certain house has a major advantage.

Also use boats!

Yeah, that's the reason i bought it, my group doesn't usually like competitive games so up until now the price was too high for me to take the gamble. I watched the tutorial but nothing really stuck to me about the rules that are a must know or things get broken and little tips are always great before starting a new board game. I obviously read the manual too but haven't played the game yet.

Q: If i want to move troops over water i need a boat for it, right? And can a boat hold more than one unit?

Lupercal

Banned
Q: If i want to move troops over water i need a boat for it, right? And can a boat hold more than one unit?

If I remember correctly a unit moves by ship as a sort of bridge.
If you have Land Sea Land the troops move over it like a bridge so there's no real capacity.
If you have more Sea areas then you need more ships. Land Sea Sea Land (2 ships needed)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though, it's been a while :)

Deadstar

Well, my FLGS told me that you can immerse plastic minis one night (?) in Glanzer. The thing will eat the paint but leave the plastic untouched. Pretty hardcore solution but it feels good to know you have that option just in case.

Interesting. I may try to paint some of my minis later on down the line but it would kill me to ruin them by making mistakes.

XShagrath

Is there not a paint remover that can be applied if you mess up?
If you're in the US, there's Purple Power, which you can get at WalMart for about $7 for a gallon. Soak them in a bowl of that overnight and you should be mostly good. Take them out with gloves (the stuff is toxic), and then scrub them with an old toothbrush and the paint should just fall away. If you need a little bit more (maybe to remove primer), then you can also use isopropyl rubbing alcohol as well.

I did this with a series of Mansions of Madness minis that I screwed up on, and had no problems. A second batch I used paint-on primer with and glopped on too thick was another matter, and took me several hours of scrubbing them with an alcohol-soaked toothbrush after soaking in Purple Power for 24+ hours, but I got everything back to "factory" and then re-primed with spray primer and they're as good as new now.

If you're not in the US, I'm sure there's something similar. I've heard "Simple Green" thrown around a lot, and I think that's available in UK/Europe.

Shut Up & Sit Down have released a review of Kingdom Death: Monster in regards to the currently open Kickstarter.

Watching it right now (it is long).

I wouldn't call a half hour long, but I do like the time given to talking about the game. I think Paul did a good job discussing it, spoke about the pros and cons fairly. And although the game wasn't ultimately for him, he clearly saw that it totally would be for some others.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
CSI has Destiny boxes up for next week it seems. Really debating on 4 but I also want some xwing ships. The big debate is that 4 Destiny boxes and I will pretty much consider myself done with Awakenings.

But I still need almost all of waves IX and X for xwing.

Top Bottom