• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Experien

CSI has Destiny boxes up for next week it seems. Really debating on 4 but I also want some xwing ships. The big debate is that 4 Destiny boxes and I will pretty much consider myself done with Awakenings.

But I still need almost all of waves IX and X for xwing.

I have Destiny Feed and Kylo still on pre-order from MM, it says ships mid to late december on my receipt but now I am doubting that. Can't really do anything with just a Rey Starter.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Color doesn't matter for attaching upgrades to a card
The problem is the upgrade in question is Villain. So while you can attach red cards to Rey, you can't attach Villain cards. However you can redeploy the rifle to Rey as redeploy specifically ignores deployment restrictions.

v1lla21

Finn's ability says you can attach enemy weapons/vehicles to HIS characters. But it allows you to have those items in your deck.
I Googled it quite a bit and you can add red villain weapons and vehicles to your deck and can be added to any character. The only difference is that if it says it's only for red then you wouldn't be able to apply it to Rey but you could to Finn because you ignore the rule.
latest

Edit: Wait, I guess not?

I ordered both sets on amazon and got them last night. Only thing that I can't get ahold of is the Booster packs.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Right. They key to Finn equipping the rifle is that he can ignore play restrictions. Villain is a play restriction.

So ordered the four boxes. I'll pickup the new xwing minis after the new year. Hopefully they ship next week.

Can anyone recommend a game like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective? A game that isn't to "gamey" (for lack of a better word), meaning no ability cards, tokens, or any of that jazz? Just something that requires reading and deduction. Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Can anyone recommend a game like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective? A game that isn't to "gamey" (for lack of a better word), meaning no ability cards, tokens, or any of that jazz? Just something that requires reading and deduction. Thanks in advance.
There's Mythos Tales, which is basically the Lovecraft version of Consulting Detective.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played Mechs vs. Minions at work today and remembered how fun it is (I do find the way the rules are parsed out over missions every so slightly annoying, but everything else is great). But man is it a good example of the insane rate of Cult of the New these days. I know MvM hasn't shipped fully yet, but honestly you'd think it had come out years ago based on the low buzz it's getting now compared to before. This is always how hype goes, but in games nowadays it's gotten to a pretty crazy point. There's just so much quality stuff coming out at all times. Not a bad problem to have mind you.

The problem is the upgrade in question is Villain. So while you can attach red cards to Rey, you can't attach Villain cards. However you can redeploy the rifle to Rey as redeploy specifically ignores deployment restrictions.

Where in the rules does it state that villain cards can't be attached to a good guy character? From what I recall the restriction of villain only applies to including the card in the deck, not actually being put on a card

Hi, need some suggestion and advice. I'm looking for light hearted games for 3-4 people that are all pretty new with card/board games. I'm a newcomer myself to boardgame and last time I tried sushi go and my friends have a lot of fun with that one. My nephews also love it.

So I'm looking to get another game. And from looking at the store. I'm curious about King of Tokyo and Munchkins. Both have fun sounding theme and premise and seems like easy to get into.

Also regarding Munchkins, there's so many of them. Which one should i get if I decide to go with Munchkins? They even have Munchkin Marvel edition.

Other that caught my interest is Boss Monster.

Also if anyone have recommendation other than those 3, that would be appreciated. I'll see if the store have it.

Thanks

Neverfade

Witness is what you're looking for.

Note: It requires exactly 4 people.

So I'm looking to get another game. And from looking at the store. I'm curious about King of Tokyo and Munchkins. Both have fun sounding theme and premise and seems like easy to get into.

Also regarding Munchkins, there's so many of them. Which one should i get if I decide to go with Munchkins? They even have Munchkin Marvel edition.

Munchkin is super rules light and quick. We use it when we are winding down. It's fun to mess around with.

Boss Monster is considerably more complicated but still light.

Karkador

Banned
Hi, need some suggestion and advice. I'm looking for light hearted games for 3-4 people that are all pretty new with card/board games. I'm a newcomer myself to boardgame and last time I tried sushi go and my friends have a lot of fun with that one. My nephews also love it.

Also if anyone have recommendation other than those 3, that would be appreciated. I'll see if the store have it.

Thanks

Gonna concur with the above suggestion - from what you've looked at, Munchkin seems like the best fit. King of Tokyo and Boss Monster are more complex than they appear, and they can bog down a bit.

If you want some other suggestions for "simple to play" that are still certifiable hits, consider these (ordered from simplest to less simple):

Love Letter: It's a game about trying to guess other people's cards and playing cards to take special actions. The entire game is just 18 cards, but it makes for a good amount of fun for new gamers.

Splendor: Simple, addictive gameplay where you're trying to balance your turns between picking up chips to buy cards, or buying cards that give you discounts on future cards.

Hanabi: Deduction/logic co-op game where you all try to play cards together into specific sequences - but the twist is that you can't see your own cards, and have to clue each other on what you're holding, and hope you play the right one.

Machi Koro: Roll dice and build up your little "town" to reap as much reward from different dice results. Neat, colorful graphics and a good mix of gameplay between classics Catan and Dominion (two bigger, more complex games)

Ra: This one is like Sushi Go in that you collect sets of things to score points, but rather than pass cards around, you win the items by an interesting auction system.

Cappa, if you're still reading the thread...

I kind of made a similar 'mistake' and tried to get into FFG LCGs when getting into board games last year. I found difficulty spike was such that I didn't have enough time to learn them, so I was forced to look for games with simpler rules.

So having said that, these are the games I'd recommend:

- Baseball Highlights 2045. A lot of fun, even if you hate baseball.
- Twilight Struggle. Fun, fairly complex. Great if either of you enjoy 20th Century history.
- Memoir '44.

Don't let the genres turn you off - these are all fun and fairly easy to learn games.

Gonna concur with the above suggestion - from what you've looked at, Munchkin seems like the best fit. King of Tokyo and Boss Monster are more complex than they appear, and they can bog down a bit.

If you want some other suggestions for "simple to play" that are still certifiable hits, consider these (ordered from simplest to less simple):

Love Letter: It's a game about trying to guess other people's cards and playing cards to take special actions. The entire game is just 18 cards, but it makes for a good amount of fun for new gamers.

Splendor: Simple, addictive gameplay where you're trying to balance your turns between picking up chips to buy cards, or buying cards that give you discounts on future cards.

Hanabi: Deduction/logic co-op game where you all try to play cards together into specific sequences - but the twist is that you can't see your own cards, and have to clue each other on what you're holding, and hope you play the right one.

Machi Koro: Roll dice and build up your little "town" to reap as much reward from different dice results. Neat, colorful graphics and a good mix of gameplay between classics Catan and Dominion (two bigger, more complex games)

Ra: This one is like Sushi Go in that you collect sets of things to score points, but rather than pass cards around, you win the items by an interesting auction system.
Well it's not like I'm against a more complex rules. I guess the more complicated game will be barrier for my nephews, but I'm sure the group I played with will have no problem.

Anyway munchkin do looks fun. Any advice which one should i get? The first one?

I've tried a little Splendor before, just enough to know the basic rules, I'm very interested, but not sure my friend will like the theme. I'll have to bring it up to them first for that one.

Machikoro is another one that i often see in store and the box art really do catch my eyes. Somethijg Ild love to try in the future.

How long does a game of munchkin typically go? Let's say its for 4 player

Blizzard

Banned
Munchkin goes on until everyone hates the game enough to let someone win.
Pretty much. I played a game with maybe 5 people thast lasted 2+ hours. The last time I played wasn't so bad, since we actually enforced an arbitrary timer -- once it hit 1 hour or whatever, we end the game after the current turn/round.

Typically almost everyone burns their cards on the first person about to win, and then the rest of the players burn their cards on the second person about to win, and finally the third person (or possibly the first person again) wins.

zulux21

amazon is quietly running a board game sale (prices subject to change as they sell out or as random sale ends) Deals taken from slick deals, no links to games because slickdeals uses commission links and neogaf doesn't like people who post those.

Escape Big Box Family Dice Board Game
$35.80 Full Price $89.50 Save $53.70 (60%)

Glux Board Game
$15.96 Full Price $39.90 Save $23.94 (60%)

Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters Board Game
$19.24 Full Price $34.99 Save $15.75 (45%)

Monarch Board Game
$9.00 $29.25 Save $20.25 (69%)

Push a Monster Game
$12.00 $32.87 Save $20.87 (63%)

Vikings On Board Game
$9.00 $36.33 Save $27.33 (75%)

Alhambra Board Game
$13.47 $34.76 Save $21.29 (61%)

Alhambra: Big Box
$32.00 $79.99 Save $47.99 (60%)

Risky Adventure Family Dice Board Game
$11.98 $59.90 Save $47.92 (80%)

Fresco With Expansion 1 2 3
$18.89 $40.00 Save $21.11 (53%)

Batavia Board Game
$9.98 $42.40 Save $32.42 (76%)

The Grizzled Cooperative Card Game
$13.00 $24.99 Save $11.99 (48%)

Risk Legacy Game
$24.99 $59.99 Save $35.00 (58%)

Thames & Kosmos
Tally Ho!
$5.99 $19.95 Save $13.96 (70%)
Add-on Item

Shogun Big Box Strategy Board Game
$43.62 $89.50 Save $45.88 (51%)

Sons of Anarchy Men of Mayhem
$16.24 $49.99 Save $33.75 (68%)

The Rose King Game
$7.98 $15.88 Save $7.90 (50%)

Steam Time Board Game
$24.00 $59.99 Save $35.99 (60%)

Tumult Royale Board Game
$12.08 $39.99 Save $27.91 (70%)

Spyfall - $14
Lancaster Big Box - $44
Magic The Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers Shadows Over Innistrad Game​ - $9
Chicago Express - $13
Legends of Andor: Journey to The North Expansion Pack -$24.98

Pretty much. I played a game with maybe 5 people thast lasted 2+ hours. The last time I played wasn't so bad, since we actually enforced an arbitrary timer -- once it hit 1 hour or whatever, we end the game after the current turn/round.

Typically almost everyone burns their cards on the first person about to win, and then the rest of the players burn their cards on the second person about to win, and finally the third person (or possibly the first person again) wins.
That... Doesnt sound like a fun end game portion of the game, any tips or additional rules I should add to avoid that? Last thing I want is for the group to left in a bad mood.

zulux21

That... Doesnt sound like a fun end game portion of the game, any tips or additional rules I should add to avoid that? Last thing I want is for the group to left in a bad mood.

Never ever play munchkin with more than 4 players is a good one for starters :p

beyond that you just need to figure out how to get people not to save up and pile on a bunch of cards on a player trying to go out.

as long as you are playing 3-4 players it should result in a case where someone trying to go out will eat up most of the cards and people won't be able to restock before someone else goes.

with more than that it is just to easy for the group to collect cards to stop it.

fenners

amazon is quietly running a board game sale (prices subject to change as they sell out or as random sale ends) Deals taken from slick deals, no links to games because slickdeals uses commission links and neogaf doesn't like people who post those.

[/q]

That's a right good deal there. Tons of expansions to spice up the game in the Big Box, not all of which you need to play all at once.

zulux21

[/q]

That's a right good deal there. Tons of expansions to spice up the game in the Big Box, not all of which you need to play all at once.

yeah
i picked up that and the andor expansion...
now to play andor once :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I bought Treasure Hunter at $20 on Amazon. Haven't had the chance to play it yet and it's already down to $15. Crazy.

It's a fun game. Well worth it to me even at the higher price. Super light and swingy but as long as you know that's what you're getting into.

Thanks for the munchkins advice. Already bought it, didn't find the deluxe version though.

I'll let you guys know how it go next time I had a meet up with my friends

XShagrath

Had a nice gaming day with a friend of mine and played some new stuff and old stuff.

Viticulture

While the mechanics of this are pretty pure worker placement, it has a very interesting twist with the fact that certain actions only happen in specific seasons. While it was obviously very euro, pretty much everything felt strong thematically, with the exception of not having to pay your workers. I'm okay with slave labor in games though. I don't need that added level of stress. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and am looking forward to playing it again.

Grand Austria Hotel

Another euro centered around dice drafting. This one is themed after being a hotelier, and works pretty well thematically as well. It's definitely a lot lighter than Viticulture, but still held some interesting decisions. My one complaint about this game is that some of the iconography is a little bit obtuse. Overall, a pretty enjoyable experience, and I'm glad I added it to my collection.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

What do I need to say? This game is still amazing, even though I've played through the core scenarios several times already. We ran through the first two scenarios, since my friend hadn't seen the second one yet, and we royally screwed things up the first time we played and botched the "per investigator" rule, which made things way too easy. We did things mostly right this time (think we screwed up one or two minor things), but I feel we were pretty successful and in good shape to take on the last scenario next time we get together.

Had a nice gaming day with a friend of mine and played some new stuff and old stuff.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

What do I need to say? This game is still amazing, even though I've played through the core scenarios several times already. We ran through the first two scenarios, since my friend hadn't seen the second one yet, and we royally screwed things up the first time we played and botched the "per investigator" rule, which made things way too easy. We did things mostly right this time (think we screwed up one or two minor things), but I feel we were pretty successful and in good shape to take on the last scenario next time we get together.

Can you (and anyone else) say more on your experience with this game? As a person who has played Arkham Horror once, and Elderitch Horror twice, I enjoyed my experiences, though I definitely see both games, (especially Arkham Horror) being played rarely just because it's hard to find others to have the patience for dealing with the game experience and it's infamous "fiddly" nature.

Karkador

Banned
Can you (and anyone else) say more on your experience with this game? As a person who has played Arkham Horror once, and Elderitch Horror twice, I enjoyed my experiences, though I definitely see both games, (especially Arkham Horror) being played rarely just because it's hard to find others to have the patience for dealing with the game experience and it's infamous "fiddly" nature.

It's based on the LOTR LCG, so there's a deckbuilding aspect to it (as in Magic the Gathering) - I imagine the game asks for more of a player commitment than the board game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I think mechanically Arkham LCG is a better game than both, and actually probably has the best narrative structure of the three (because the progression is more scripted). If you consider one game to be a single scenario (which I do), it's also at least an hour or two quicker than both, but the level of rules to process is not unlike Eldritch (though easier than Arkham), and it has a deckbuilding element too which might scare people off. Now you can pre-build a team for everyone (though people should at least upgrade cards between scenarios as provided for per their resolutions) but even then the experience is not too dissimilar in terms of what it demands from players (though I think all three games stand on their own).

While not a strict review, Shut Up & Sit Down did a great playthrough of the first scenario that will really give you a sense of what you're getting into: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBTBGwI1X0

Now having played them all, I would probably rank the Arkham games as:

1. Arkham LCG
2. Eldritch Horror
3. Elder Sign
4. Arkham Horror
5. Mansions of Madness

I like absolutely all of them, but 4 and 5 are higher variance in terms of player experience whereas I consider 1-3 good to great games, period. (To be clear though, that's only true for Elder Sign w/ either Gates of Arkham or Omens of Ice expansions, otherwise I'd put it at 4.)

Ah, so it's a living card game, not a deck builder. That implies that one should play regularly with the same folks to maximize the experience, especially if it's still a co-op experience? (IS it still a co-op experience?)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ah, so it's a living card game, not a deck builder. That implies that one should play regularly with the same folks to maximize the experience, especially if it's still a co-op experience? (IS it still a co-op experience?)
It is co-op. I suppose all things equal it's good to have the same group, but since it's co-op it's really not necessary. The one thing you do want is the same group over a campaign (which is 3 scenarios). There are also standalone scenarios you can play that don't persist through a campaign (though you can add them as sidestories). There's a lot of flexibility built in. I've played it w/ my wife and w/ two different groups at work so far. People building their own decks, me building decks for them, w/e. It's not a simple game though. While quite different from Eldritch, I'd be fairly hesitant to play it w/ someone scared off by Eldritch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dang Astro Arkham LCG over Eldritch?

Haha, well OK a few notes:
-It's probably silly to rank all the games to begin with since they satisfy completely different needs in most cases (though they sure do share a lot of art, and occasionally mechanics :p).
-Probably have to deduct a few cult of the new points I subconsciously added.
-I really dig LCG's gameplay, and am giving it credit not just for its core experience (+Rougarou), but for its potential.
-Even the 5th-place game is one I quite like! Really wish LCG had stolen MoM's variable card-driven insanity and damage. Such a damn good mechanic. Though I'm not sure I'll ever be up for that five-hour campaign as much as I love tapping on investigation/explore tokens in the app. :p

i'm so into their arkham stuff rn that i'm seriously considering making arkham nights my BG trip next year

unrelatedly, i am now in possession of a rotatrim cutter. that + my new laser printer + card stock + laminator = some damn fine player aids and assorted game add-ons

Lyng

I simply cannot decide between Scythe, Cry Havoc and Terraforming Mars.
Any of you guys have some insights on how two player is in these? The impressions from BGG are all over the place for these games.
Cry Havoc ranges from unbalanced game where you have almost zero depth to a Kemet killer.
Scythe goes from fantastic to super dry and repetitive.
And with Terraforming mars it goes from best game ever to way too long and shitty components.

Quiet frankly I trust you guys a lot more then most bgg users and reviews. Hope you can help me decide.

SumGamer

Any of you guys have some insights on how two player is in these? The impressions from BGG are all over the place for these games.
Cry Havoc ranges from unbalanced game where you have almost zero depth to a Kemet killer.
And with Terraforming mars it goes from best game ever to way too long and shitty components.

Quiet frankly I trust you guys a lot more then most bgg users and reviews. Hope you can help me decide.

Haven't played any of those but watching several gameplay video on Youtube I kinda dig Scythe the most. That said, don't trust me ;P

I haven't played any of them but my thoughts:

Cry Havoc is very highly regarded by the Dice Tower team and they have been pushing it a lot. So it is probably garbage.
Scythe seems to be the type of game that looks really nice, but is too dry and boring to play more than once. However every game you are likely to buy is probably too dry and boring to play more than once, so at least it looks nice.
Terraforming is the best game every, but it is way too long and the components are shitty.

Personally, I would go for Mechs and Minions because it is way newer.

Lyng

I haven't played any of them but my thoughts:

Cry Havoc is very highly regarded by the Dice Tower team and they have been pushing it a lot. So it is probably garbage.
Scythe seems to be the type of game that looks really nice, but is too dry and boring to play more than once. However every game you are likely to buy is probably too dry and boring to play more than once, so at least it looks nice.
Terraforming is the best game every, but it is way too long and the components are shitty.

Personally, I would go for Mechs and Minions because it is way newer.

Hahaha perfect answer honestly :D

Neverfade

Only played Cry Havoc and Scythe. I liked both, with Scythe edging out CH. These were higher player counts. With two it's not even a question, steer clear of Cry Havoc.

XShagrath

Astro answered your questions pretty well. I'll add that this game is absolutely playable as a solo game with one investigator. There are also multiple different difficulty levels, so you can always scale the game to fit your level. The deck-building is really quite nice, and is a great departure from LotR's "build a deck from scratch every quest." I also really like that you continue your campaign, even if you didn't "beat" the scenarios, as there are several paths to an ending, all of which will dynamically affect the game in upcoming plays.

Keasar

This is something FFG have always done, and it's always discussed ad nauseam on BGG. Their reasoning (at least from what I gather) is that they want to provide the best variety and experience out of the core set. I'm sure research has been done that shows they'll make more profit by not selling "completion" packs, and that people who are really into the game will buy multiple cores, although they've never come out and officially said why they don't offer these packs.

I'm just going to stick with one core and see where things lead as the card pool expands. If these core cards end up being "essentials" after a few mythos packs, then maybe I'll try to pick up another one.

Well that is a bloody given because people have to buy 1 or more regular core sets which is more expensive . :p

I however think it would be a lot better if they actually tried to do some good will like Mage Wars, where I bought both Core Card Packs easily.

Top Bottom