• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Aaron

I simply cannot decide between Scythe, Cry Havoc and Terraforming Mars.
Any of you guys have some insights on how two player is in these? The impressions from BGG are all over the place for these games.
Cry Havoc ranges from unbalanced game where you have almost zero depth to a Kemet killer.
Scythe goes from fantastic to super dry and repetitive.
And with Terraforming mars it goes from best game ever to way too long and shitty components.

Quiet frankly I trust you guys a lot more then most bgg users and reviews. Hope you can help me decide.
I've only played Terraforming Mars, but didn't like it. The components are ugly, and there's so many fiddly bits that are hard to keep track of when it's vaguely abstract. I get the theme and purpose, but the elements don't fit together as nicely as I'd like. Also the person who one had a massive starting advantage that the game never really gave us the chance to overcome.

Neverfade

Cheers! That's what I was thinking. Have you tried Scythe with two?

I haven't. Scythes rules don't create a faction advantage in the same way Cry Havoc's does in a 2 player game though. With two in CH I just don't see how you'd focus on your factions ideal strategies AND keep someone else in check. Actions are at a premium and diluting them even just a bit makes for a much less enjoyable game.

Combat is Scythe is much less a factor and it's more about building your engine faster, so I just don't see Scythe being that different of a game even with 2.

There is a thing that I realized still bothers me with Fantasy Flight LCGs while digging through my copy of Arkham Horror TCG, it's this thing that if you want a full collection of some cards in a Core Set, you have to buy another or multiple Core Sets, take those specific cards out and then just toss the rest away.

I dunno if FFG have changed this recently but have they announced or ever done something similar to Mage Wars' core set packs where they sell those extra cards in smaller packs containing the exact amount of each card to get a full set of every with the regular Core Set? Or have they commented on why/why not?

EDIT:
Shut Up & Sit Down have released a review of Kingdom Death: Monster in regards to the currently open Kickstarter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3VzOayLcYs
Watching it right now (it is long).

They did the same thing for Warhammer Conquest. You needed 3 core sets to have a full set but they're weren't many cards that you needed 3 sets to have a full complement of for deck building. Just the ones you really wanted 3 of in a deck though.

On the topic of giving FFG way too much money, I'm finally getting a Star Wars Destiny booster box this week!

Blizzard

Banned
I simply cannot decide between Scythe, Cry Havoc and Terraforming Mars.
Any of you guys have some insights on how two player is in these? The impressions from BGG are all over the place for these games.
Cry Havoc ranges from unbalanced game where you have almost zero depth to a Kemet killer.
Scythe goes from fantastic to super dry and repetitive.
And with Terraforming mars it goes from best game ever to way too long and shitty components.

Quiet frankly I trust you guys a lot more then most bgg users and reviews. Hope you can help me decide.
Answers will vary, but I've only played Scythe from that list and it works okay with 2 players. It's more solitaire-ish unless you choose to be super aggressive with 2.

Of course the right answer is to get Feast for Odin instead. :p

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
well it seems that CSI only sold presumably what they were allocated. They went OOS on their Destiny booster listing yesterday morning.

So should have my 4 boxes the week of xmas.

Really mixed on Destiny (yeah I know.. then why did I buy 4 boxes!?!?!). I think the game is great. I mean theme, both CCG and LCG are better Star Wars games.. but competitively I think Destiny will easily be as competitive as CCG/XWing/etc. I'm mixed because I think the product itself has long term issues. Ultimately all that really matters are the dice.. You can pick up a full common and uncommon set (doubles) for like $40. Beyond that all that matters are the dice of which you only get 36 per box and are strictly divided between 6 LG and 30 rare. To me it seems like an awfully poor product pitch for blind buys.

and as said.. thematically it's pretty poor. Kylo Ren teaming up with Jabba and Dooku.. fighting Kylo, Vader and Dooku (I know not literally, but you get the picture). It's basically like a Star Wars CCG mixed with Super Smash Bros.. but again, the gameplay itself is solid as hell and throwing theme out the window, could really turn out to be something big competitively. Just the way it's sold and the way it's presented rub me the wrong way. /rantover

jealous, MM won't send me my booster box :(

presumably this week. unless MM sold all of their 22nd stock. Apparently FFG is telling distributors (who are telling their stores) that January will be "buy as much as you want". Then again the game appears to be insanely popular. So maybe not literally as much as you want.. but buying a box here or there shouldn't be a problem by January.

well it seems that CSI only sold presumably what they were allocated. They went OOS on their Destiny booster listing yesterday morning.

So should have my 4 boxes the week of xmas.

Really mixed on Destiny (yeah I know.. then why did I buy 4 boxes!?!?!). I think the game is great. I mean theme, both CCG and LCG are better Star Wars games.. but competitively I think Destiny will easily be as competitive as CCG/XWing/etc. I'm mixed because I think the product itself has long term issues. Ultimately all that really matters are the dice.. You can pick up a full common and uncommon set (doubles) for like $40. Beyond that all that matters are the dice of which you only get 36 per box and are strictly divided between 6 LG and 30 rare. To me it seems like an awfully poor product pitch for blind buys.

and as said.. thematically it's pretty poor. Kylo Ren teaming up with Jabba and Dooku.. fighting Kylo, Vader and Dooku (I know not literally, but you get the picture). It's basically like a Star Wars CCG mixed with Super Smash Bros.. but again, the gameplay itself is solid as hell and throwing theme out the window, could really turn out to be something big competitively. Just the way it's sold and the way it's presented rub me the wrong way. /rantover

presumably this week. unless MM sold all of their 22nd stock. Apparently FFG is telling distributors (who are telling their stores) that January will be "buy as much as you want". Then again the game appears to be insanely popular. So maybe not literally as much as you want.. but buying a box here or there shouldn't be a problem by January.

The game is similar in theme to the popular mobile game Star Wars Heroes. It's essentially alternate universe (in mobile games you playing in Cantina hologram game) where you pitch all Star Wars legends against one another.

I don't know if I want to get suck into this as LCG/CCG when I don't have regular people to play against.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The game is similar in theme to the popular mobile game Star Wars Heroes. It's essentially alternate universe (in mobile games you playing in Cantina hologram game) where you pitch all Star Wars legends against one another.

I don't know if I want to get suck into this as LCG/CCG when I don't have regular people to play against.

It's funny we're all waiting on our Destiny orders and yet there's a dude on YT and with a podcast who's like months in to analyzing the game thanks to Tabletop Simulator piracy. Not totally sure how I feel about that. Back in Netrunner launch days the meta sorta developed organically in local scenes because there wasn't a widespread online-play tool prior to launch and I think I prefer that. Then again what I'm probably going to do is just make some evenly matched decks and play those with friends and family, and at most maybe go to a monthly tournament at FLGS so not TOO concerned either way.

lordxar

So playthrough number two of Arkham cards went a lot better. I dropped the chaos bag to easy which helped. Also figured out each agenda card has a cost. Somehow I thought three doom on each advanced it the first time so that slowed way down. Got some other errors ironed out I think and I got the cellar and attic done which did tick the agenda forward based on mythos and spawned that red asshole who commenced to beating the shit out of Roland. I whacked it once...just once. Pulled the red chaos token of instafail on action 2 which red guy has retaliate, so that hurt but got mitigated a tad. Final action failed with the good ole if a ghoul is in your area you get beat harder. Then the ghoul attacked and it was game over.

Side note. I was trying to figure out how to put two core sets together and finally found out that on their website is a pdf that details each characters starting set which explains what you do.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So playthrough number two of Arkham cards went a lot better. I dropped the chaos bag to easy which helped. Also figured out each agenda card has a cost. Somehow I thought three doom on each advanced it the first time so that slowed way down. Got some other errors ironed out I think and I got the cellar and attic done which did tick the agenda forward based on mythos and spawned that red asshole who commenced to beating the shit out of Roland. I whacked it once...just once. Pulled the red chaos token of instafail on action 2 which red guy has retaliate, so that hurt but got mitigated a tad. Final action failed with the good ole if a ghoul is in your area you get beat harder. Then the ghoul attacked and it was game over.

Side note. I was trying to figure out how to put two core sets together and finally found out that on their website is a pdf that details each characters starting set which explains what you do.

Here's a good guide to combining sets in case you still wanted some info: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670579/what-you-do-not-need-your-duplicate-copies-include

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I need to decide if I want to binder my Arkham cards or organize in a box. Want to make it as organized and as efficient as possible.

XShagrath

I need to decide if I want to binder my Arkham cards or organize in a box. Want to make it as organized and as efficient as possible.
I'm going with a box and dividers on cardstock. There's a couple different people doing dividers on BGG. I find a box much easier to maintain than binders, where I'd be constantly re-organizing my player cards when new sets came out.

I picked up my game of Mage Knight. I had started up a solo conquest last weekend and still haven't finished it. I finally made it to two cities but I don't feel that I can comfortably take either on. I still have one full day after the current (night) round. I don't know what I should be doing to get stronger. Moving around is so costly and my hand limit is still 5 limiting combo potential. :| I am close to a mage tower, should I be camping there to get spells? I just got demolish which does me no good against a dragon with cold fire resistance.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm going with a box and dividers on cardstock. There's a couple different people doing dividers on BGG. I find a box much easier to maintain than binders, where I'd be constantly re-organizing my player cards when new sets came out.

Pretty much same, though I did splurge on a cool wood box to store everything. I went with binders for Netrunner and although it looks really cool and is way more fun to flip through, boxes are just so much more convenient. I don't really have a need to flip either with tools like arkhamdb around.

Experien

What do people do when they buy a game they thought they'd love and when they get to play it, they hate it? I am struggling with that right now. Like I don't know if I want to play it again and might want to sell it.

Do you try to replay it again or just give up on it since life is too short and plenty of other games in the sea?

Well they probably could've shipped another box out if they didn't sell individual cards. Unless FFG sends multiple companies individuals of all the cards/dice.

I pre-ordered and mine said (still does) mid/late december, hope they set aside my Kylo before they sold out. This all just seems like it was poorly executed.

Captain Sonar is fun as hell.

I just thought I would come say that.

I respectfully disagree, terrible game.

I played the newest oink game, pyramid deadline and it's pretty good!

Players compete to complete a pyramid before the pharaoh dies. Incomplete pyramids score nothing and if you trigger the pharaoh's dead you score last place. Nice mix of push your luck and spatial elements.

XShagrath

What do people do when they buy a game they thought they'd love and when they get to play it, they hate it? I am struggling with that right now. Like I don't know if I want to play it again and might want to sell it.

Do you try to replay it again or just give up on it since life is too short and plenty of other games in the sea?
It really depends. If I can see some upsides to it (other people at the table had fun, I had a bad strategy and will do better next time), then I'll definitely give it another shot. However, if I'm not seeing anything like that, then it's going in the closet for math trade fodder.

I've got quite a few games there now, and I've just been lazy in putting them up for trade. I'll definitely be trying to hit up the next one though. Some of the games I've got in the closet are ones that a lot of people think pretty highly of, but just don't work for my group.

I am getting major analysis paralysis with Mage Knight. ADHD meds wearing off doesn't help. :( Every turn here towards the end is so heavy with decisions.

Edit: Ended up quitting. No way I was going to be able to take on a city, let alone two. After a proper scenario, I have mixed feelings about the game.

Players compete to complete a pyramid before the pharaoh dies. Incomplete pyramids score nothing and if you trigger the pharaoh's dead you score last place. Nice mix of push your luck and spatial elements.

Interested to know why it is terrible?

My main complaint are the dry-erase markers they ship with. I've played it a few times. Didn't blow me away, but was fun as an "activity" game.

Yeah, pretty terrible quality markers.

Well thats too bad. Im glad I had a different experience! All 6 of us that played it enjoyed it a bunch.

Blizzard

Banned
I got my girlfriend the 7 Wonders Duel Pantheon expansion for Christmas. She got me Castles of Burgundy, which I think I played many years ago but never owned. It's got good ratings. :)

Aaron

Only two roles are moderately fun, the captain and the radio operator. Other roles suck, the mini games in general suck, going to the surface, shooting, etc. It's too chaotic for it's own good and leads to a lot of frustration.
Yeah I played Sonar as the first mate role, and was just bored the whole game. Poor guy in the engine room was forever confused. They should probably confine those roles into something a little more interesting than what's currently there for them.

Only two roles are moderately fun, the captain and the radio operator. Other roles suck, the mini games in general suck, going to the surface, shooting, etc. It's too chaotic for it's own good and leads to a lot of frustration.

Yeah I played Sonar as the first mate role, and was just bored the whole game. Poor guy in the engine room was forever confused. They should probably confine those roles into something a little more interesting than what's currently there for them.

I can understand these complaints. We only had six, so one person was captain and first mate, which made that role better. Plus we enjoyed having secret conversations without a lot of talking between the Captain and Engineer about which directions to go to fix issues and which things to damage so that we could do the attacks that we wanted too.

Radio operator is definitely the most fun to play though.

Slathe

I normally try two or three games, especially if I feel like I didn't get the mechanics right or had an anomalous game. But that is usually driven by a desire to love a game.

If I'm sure I had everything right and i don't have the desire to try again, then I naturally won't and the game will sit until it gets sold.

Example of the former for me was assault on doomrock. Tried sui hard to like it and just couldn't get over what felt like busted mechanics. Example of the latter was Five Tribes. Just didn't excite me enough to try again.

So, you guys remember that Miniature Market sale, I think it was in the middle of October?
I ordered a few little things, mainly to pimp my copy of Chaos in the Old World and choose the quite cheap Fedex shipping.

I had mostly forgotten about it, and thought it was probably delayed by our notoriously inefficient postal service in customs. I finally got a slip to pick it up today and I go down to the post office. I pick it up, and see it wasn't delayed by customs. In fact it didn't even have any tax added. Instead, this was stamped on the box:

Mis-sent to Taipei.

I live in South Africa.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can understand these complaints. We only had six, so one person was captain and first mate, which made that role better. Plus we enjoyed having secret conversations without a lot of talking between the Captain and Engineer about which directions to go to fix issues and which things to damage so that we could do the attacks that we wanted too.

Radio operator is definitely the most fun to play though.

Yeah I think Sonar is one of those super-high-variance games in terms of quality of experience. Play w/ your regular game group who's pretty competitive and serious? Or play with fewer than 8? Probably absolute nightmare. Play at a con w/ 8 or just w/ people who don't really give a shit and treat more as an experience than a game? Probably OK or even great. I think some of the backlash is from the reviews that don't acknowledge this possible disparity though, but in EOY lists I am seeing Sonar take a hit mostly so the new-game shine has worn off a touch. I could see it being a Con hit for years to come though.

No one has truly cracked the nut of real-time multi-role co-op or teams though. X-Com (which I actually enjoy pretty well) suffers from a similar problem to Sonar where each role is just fairly dull because they have to be dumbed down enough that everyone can learn every role as required to have any sense of strategy and teamwork.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Random but family's visiting in-laws currently and not back until Saturday and I have literally zero plans for Friday, so if any thread regulars I know are up for coming down to San Jose to play games on Friday PM me.

Protome

I feel like it's impossible for me to enjoy games like Captain Sonar because I worked at a company for a couple of years whose main product were gamified DevOps training tools which were basically that similar style of game (imagine each of the roles expanded out to different teams in a business) but with a really old looking janky program that a guy running the training would interact with. I had to test the software side of them and man that sours you on that kinda thing.

Also I played Fabled Fruit again and despite being an incredibly light game I absolutely adore it.

Experien

MM decided to email me to let me know a product was in stock. a product that I pre-ordered and had already been in stock a week ago but wasn't shipped cause another "pre-order." Are they just teasing me now?

Brohan

It's more like a big puzzle, I don't know if I would recommend for a group that rarely play board game especially modern hobby board game.

What experience/playstyles/"moments" are you looking to get out of it? And what sort of play time/player count do you need?

I was looking for a cooperative game since we have never played something like that before. If we play a boardgame it's usually risk and sometimes the Game of thrones boardgame but the latter is too slow, too rule heavy and requires a bit too much focus for a game that can easily last three hours. Which is a reason it rarely gets played.

So usually we fight eachother and i thought it would be fun to work together instead.

Keasar

YEAH

Mechs Vs Minions has been sent.

CHRISTMAS IS COMING EARLY MOTHERFUCKERS! :D

Much excitement, got my copy sent as well.

One problem, it's UPS delivering it.

UPS in Sweden does not work to our comfort, I don't want them delivering the package to my door when I am not at home and then call me and ask if there is a time between 10-16 when they can deliver it.

The time when everyone is at bloody work!

Spookie

Much excitement, got my copy sent as well.

One problem, it's UPS delivering it.

UPS in Sweden does not work to our comfort, I don't want them delivering the package to my door when I am not at home and then call me and ask if there is a time between 10-16 when they can deliver it.

The time when everyone is at bloody work!

That would normally be a huge problem but not only am I off from the 22nd to the 29th but in the UK we can have it delivered to a store. Is that not the same where you are? :s

Top Bottom