• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

fenners

Great looking zombies! I've no patience/skill to do mine, but I utterly admire the folk that do & do a great job like in those pics.

Another day of Lords of Waterdeep at lunchtime. I think five players is just too long as we tend to start late (waiting for /someone/ to grab lunch). Fun conversation among the players afterwards about how much they want to buy it, but can't justify the price + tax + shipping from Amazon & how eBay might be cheaper, how Ticket To Ride is just too expensive for the amount of plastic etc... Right before lunch, I spent ~$130 on a CSI order, including a couple of games that'll be perfect for that crowd at lunch, lol. I said nothing.

I've got just under a 100 games (plus a bunch of expansions on top of that) & there's been some unknowing comments over lunch before about how 100 games is "ridiculous". My regular gaming buddies have been into games for years & years & have hundreds upon hundreds - they're always bringing out old obscure games from before my time gaming that are old familiar games to them. For this crowd at work, I'm filling that role when I bring in "Hey! That's My Fish!" or "Felix The Cat In The Sack"... I find it amusing for sure, but I'm glad to have the regular lunchtime games again.

And came home from work to a bored six year old - "Can we play King of Tokyo, Daddy?". Yes, yes we can.

Great looking zombies! I've no patience/skill to do mine, but I utterly admire the folk that do & do a great job like in those pics.

Another day of Lords of Waterdeep at lunchtime. I think five players is just too long as we tend to start late (waiting for /someone/ to grab lunch). Fun conversation among the players afterwards about how much they want to buy it, but can't justify the price + tax + shipping from Amazon & how eBay might be cheaper, how Ticket To Ride is just too expensive for the amount of plastic etc... Right before lunch, I spent ~$130 on a CSI order, including a couple of games that'll be perfect for that crowd at lunch, lol. I said nothing.

I've got just under a 100 games (plus a bunch of expansions on top of that) & there's been some unknowing comments over lunch before about how 100 games is "ridiculous". My regular gaming buddies have been into games for years & years & have hundreds upon hundreds - they're always bringing out old obscure games from before my time gaming that are old familiar games to them. For this crowd at work, I'm filling that role when I bring in "Hey! That's My Fish!" or "Felix The Cat In The Sack"... I find it amusing for sure, but I'm glad to have the regular lunchtime games again.

And came home from work to a bored six year old - "Can we play King of Tokyo, Daddy?". Yes, yes we can.

Welp, it's still a niche hobby. I can totally perceive the value of a $80 game, but it's not for everyone.

Thanks for sharing.

fenners

Welp, it's still a niche hobby. I can totally perceive the value of a $80 game, but it's not for everyone.

I'm in game development & all of the people I work with are relatively geeky to /some/ degree - they all have their personal hobbies they're willing to drop cash on, from games/figures/beers/food to whatever; within the particular group of people I'm playing with regularly at lunch, they're trying hard /not/ to cross the "threshold" of buying new games.

They're utterly desperate to try new experiences and widen their horizons, but don't have the "depth" of experience yet because they haven't /played/ a lot of games outside of the ones suggested by Tabletop.

I'm in game development & all of the people I work with are relatively geeky to /some/ degree - they all have their personal hobbies they're willing to drop cash on, from games/figures/beers/food to whatever; within the particular group of people I'm playing with regularly at lunch, they're trying hard /not/ to cross the "threshold" of buying new games.

They're utterly desperate to try new experiences and widen their horizons, but don't have the "depth" of experience yet because they haven't /played/ a lot of games outside of the ones suggested by Tabletop.

Ugh, I guess you can always introduce them SU&SD, untitled flash based review thing and other reviewers with mainstream appeal. Maybe convince them to take the plunge on cheap microgames?

Just browsing BGG makes me want to get more games and get new ones!

Faiz

DD78A377-5FFD-49D4-9CBB-CC1EA7D3A91A.jpg

Man they look really great.

I'm going to start my first miniature painting attempt soon with Battlelore 2nd and planning on a similar scheme for the sides (variation on the base color from head to toe).

How the hell did like half of GAF get this game? There are like 20 copies in existence at this moment and I have at least 6 of them.

Did Nate trade you for a copy of Sheriff of Nottingham by chance?

I can't remember who mentioned that he also got a copy at Gen Con. I saw that Saturday night and made it my mission to find you Sunday. Funny thing too because I tried to find you Thursday, but Pandasauras Games wasn't on the map, so I didn't know you were there.

Oh, and you don't want to know what I traded for one of only 20 copies of Machi Koro in existence. You'd think it'd be exotic, hard-to-get, worth a pretty penny thing like Dead of Winter turned out to be, so if I said what it actually was, it'd shatter your world:

I traded it for Coup and it's expansion, picked up two aisles down from where you were. But hey, it was the first print run of the combo box, so his money tokens were shiny

XShagrath

Man, you guys are getting me hype for Machi Koro. I watched a couple vids on it a few weeks ago and thought it looked okay, but nothing fantastic. Now I kinda want it.

Faiz

Stooge, could you clarify the circumstances with the Machi Koro Playmat? It's a seperate item and it will only be available through retailers who purchase from GTS distribution? Is that right?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Stooge, could you clarify the circumstances with the Machi Koro Playmat? It's a seperate item and it will only be available through retailers who purchase from GTS distribution? Is that right?

GTS made the mats, so they are the only source for them.

I think they have the machine that allows them to make them, so they like to make mats for card games and retailers can get them through GTS. I think they've done it for some past games as well.

I actually don't have a mat :(

Chorazin

Played Sentinels Tactics on Monday, that was shockingly fun. I'm meh overall on Sentinels of the Multiverse, but Tactics really shined. Super easy to get into, clear and concise rules, and it felt really balanced. I played as the villian and had one hit point left (of my second life) when I captured the last objective I needed to win. Everyone felt the powers their character had were poweful, thematic and neat. Can't wait to play it again!

We also played Mai-Star as well, and it was a hit. Lots of fun take that gameplay, neat theme that actually felt like we were a bunch of catty geishas competing for money and fame. Definitely worth the $15 or so it runs on Amazon.

Tonight I'll be taking Quantum, Tokaido, and Mai-Star since I just got the first two from Amazon's big weekend sale, and we'll have four people tonight so Mai-Star should be even more fun! Haven't played either of the others but I'm sure Quantum will be a hit. I expect my group to be meh on Tokaido, but that's ok, I wanted it for my collection anyway.

As an aside, waiting for trade responses on BGG is nerve racking, I keep checking for new GeekMail. Need to unload a bunch of doubles that others in my group has, and some games that never caught on (like all my freaking Dominion sets grumble grumble grumble)

Faiz

GTS made the mats, so they are the only source for them.

I think they have the machine that allows them to make them, so they like to make mats for card games and retailers can get them through GTS. I think they've done it for some past games as well.

I actually don't have a mat :(

Ah, I see now makes sense!

Karkador

Banned
Tonight I'll be taking Quantum, Tokaido, and Mai-Star since I just got the first two from Amazon's big weekend sale, and we'll have four people tonight so Mai-Star should be even more fun! Haven't played either of the others but I'm sure Quantum will be a hit. I expect my group to be meh on Tokaido, but that's ok, I wanted it for my collection anyway.

Why do you think they'll be meh on Tokaido? I've been hooked on the game a bit lately, and I think it's a very enjoyable, and rather unusual game.

It's very easy to play it (and the movement mechanic is pretty simple genius), but there is a nice layer of strategy to what you're gonna do on your trip.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
gencon

Also are you and stooge going to bgg this year?

Nope.

Wedding in Austin that weekend.

We need to get a better Con schedule together.

Next year I think we may try and hit up GranCon as well as BGG Con in some sort of official capacity.

Chorazin

Why do you think they'll be meh on Tokaido? I've been hooked on the game a bit lately, and I think it's a very enjoyable, and rather unusual game.

It's very easy to play it (and the movement mechanic is pretty simple genius), but there is a nice layer of strategy to what you're gonna do on your trip.

My group is a little....bloodthirsty, and the relaxed tone of the game might not be a fit. I'm sure no one's gonna hate it, but I'll be shocked if anyone clamors to play it again.

Karkador

Banned
My group is a little....bloodthirsty, and the relaxed tone of the game might not be a fit. I'm sure no one's gonna hate it, but I'll be shocked if anyone clamors to play it again.

FWIW, there is a fair amount of "you fucking asshole, you went where I wanted to go"

If players in your group have a sort of "collection itch", this could be their jam, but it's definitely one of those games where you can't do everything in one game, specializing is key to winning, and getting locked out of something can make a big difference

Chorazin

FWIW, there is a fair amount of "you fucking asshole, you went where I wanted to go"

If players in your group have a sort of "collection itch", this could be their jam, but it's definitely one of those games where you can't do everything in one game, specializing is key to winning, and getting locked out of something can make a big difference

You don't need to sell me on it, I already bought it. :p I'm definitely looking forward to playing it!

Cat Party

Question for y'all:

I have a friend who really enjoys D&D and is bummed that he has no one to play with (he recently moved up to where I live). I have zero interest in D&D, but I like deck building games. Does the Pathfinder card game bridge this gap? I'm having trouble understanding how the game works in terms of the RPG elements.

Question for y'all:

I have a friend who really enjoys D&D and is bummed that he has no one to play with (he recently moved up to where I live). I have zero interest in D&D, but I like deck building games. Does the Pathfinder card game bridge this gap? I'm having trouble understanding how the game works in terms of the RPG elements.

If you can find a video of the game being played, probably best to see what it's like as it's hard to say why a person is into D&D or RPG's in general. For a narrative story telling aspect, Pathfinder is nothing like a RPG. It's more like a board game RPG where you get loot and move on in a campaign format building characters.

It's essentially a deck building game where you have rpg like stats and dice rolls which determine if you get a card or lose cards. There is little narrative attached to each scenario for a rpg lite like experience.

Thank you for the painting compliments guys. It goes a long way when working on a niche within a niche hobby! I have very few people to share my work with IRL, and they've been looking at my miniatures for 25yrs lol.

I'll offer my 2 cents on the $100+ game scenerio. My friends also scoff at those prices. I buy everything and they'll play whatever I buy, so not sure why they would ever complain about prices lol. I buy games I want to play and they play them :p

I don't mind throwing down cash for a game, but it better give me a hell of a lot more than chits and giggles. I want something I can paint/model and house rule to hell and back. I want to get my money's worth, and then some. Space Hulk 3rd edition is a good example. I can use the miniatures with other games, paint and model for hours on end, and everything included in that box was 10/10. Even the "fair at best" game Dreadfleet was more than worth the price for someone like me who sees it as a hobby project first and a game second. Lots of FF games are like this too (and a lot cheaper!).

Games without miniatures or overall incredible packaging, I get on sale. So I buy $40-50 games at or below $25-30. I pick up card and dice games as filler for the most part.

Also, if a game has expansions, I buy them all at once. I don't even hesitate. I gotta have the whole package. It 's a weakness!

Speaking of, my Amazon order arrived last night. I opened the box, sorted the various games, and played Diablo 3 on PS4 with the wife until bedtime. I really look forward to getting elbow deep with the board games tonight. Having a bunch of new games all at once feels like Christmas. I'll post pics later!

XShagrath

Took the plunge on Imperial Settlers today. It looks really cool, but wasn't so hot on the price. I told myself I'd order it if CSI dropped below 20 copies. When I checked this afternoon, they were at 16 and I went ahead and placed my order. I also snagged Biblios, so that I could put myself over the $50 threshold to use their GenCon coupon (CSI10).

I'll be playing both of them on Friday for game night at a friend's place, along with Pandemic (which I snagged from Target last week for $12), and probably Impulse and maybe Euphoria.

Dolan walks out of gencon "everyone was GAF"

I dunno, there seems to be a lot of angst against video gamers on BGG.

On imperial settlers' review Tom Vasel complained that nothing can be called SETTLERS because, of course, it's related to Catan. Not like the game is heavily inspired by The Settlers series of games or anything.

Same with stupid slogans like "real men play board games", like WTF. Thankfully there are a lot of video gamers out there, like Scott Nicholson, that's why he is the best <3

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I dunno, there seems to be a lot of angst against video gamers on BGG.

On imperial settlers' review Tom Vasel complained that nothing can be called SETTLERS because, of course, it's related to Catan. Not like the game is heavily inspired by The Settlers series of games or anything.

Same with stupid slogans like "real men play board games", like WTF. Thankfully there are a lot of video gamers out there, like Scott Nicholson, that's why he is the best <3

Haha is that really a thing? afaict from the podcast both the dice tower guys are actually pretty big video-game fans though in Tom's case I think it's more 16/32-bit era.

Neverfade

Tom has definitely talked about relatively recent games. He's mentioned Skyrim about 400 times since it came out.

I don't think his endorsement of boardgames lessens his view on video games. I have several hobbies and I like and participate in some more than others.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I vacillate. Right now I am ironically in more of a video-game mode though that's rarer the past five years or so.

Experien

Thank you for the painting compliments guys. It goes a long way when working on a niche within a niche hobby! I have very few people to share my work with IRL, and they've been looking at my miniatures for 25yrs lol.

I'll offer my 2 cents on the $100+ game scenerio. My friends also scoff at those prices. I buy everything and they'll play whatever I buy, so not sure why they would ever complain about prices lol. I buy games I want to play and they play them :p

I don't mind throwing down cash for a game, but it better give me a hell of a lot more than chits and giggles. I want something I can paint/model and house rule to hell and back. I want to get my money's worth, and then some. Space Hulk 3rd edition is a good example. I can use the miniatures with other games, paint and model for hours on end, and everything included in that box was 10/10. Even the "fair at best" game Dreadfleet was more than worth the price for someone like me who sees it as a hobby project first and a game second. Lots of FF games are like this too (and a lot cheaper!).

Games without miniatures or overall incredible packaging, I get on sale. So I buy $40-50 games at or below $25-30. I pick up card and dice games as filler for the most part.

Also, if a game has expansions, I buy them all at once. I don't even hesitate. I gotta have the whole package. It 's a weakness!

Speaking of, my Amazon order arrived last night. I opened the box, sorted the various games, and played Diablo 3 on PS4 with the wife until bedtime. I really look forward to getting elbow deep with the board games tonight. Having a bunch of new games all at once feels like Christmas. I'll post pics later!

I'm curious on how durable the paint is on the miniatures. I have a great way to store them but they are just in a pile together...separated by type of course!

Karkador

Banned
Tom is an avowed fan of Final Fantasy Tactics and X-Com, so while he may certainly be more of an "old school gamer" in videogame terms, I don't think he has anything against videogames.

Barmaley

Neo Member
So after I gathered a group of friends today to try out Kemet for the first time, we opened the box and found out that all the troops were missing, yeay! ........evening ruined :(
I didn't want to open it beforehand so everyone invovled could get a good sniff of a freshly opened boardgame, the most expensive drug there is.

Karak

From what I understand, TI3 changed up a lot of the core turn structure and timing of phases significantly. It introduced the Strategy Card mechanic which dictates turn order and what phases of the game happen, and how those phases let other players take actions even when it's not their turn. Also the box art isn't shit.

That's essentially what I gather from people who played 2nd edition; I've never played it myself but it sounds like a much different game. I only know the glory of 3rd.

Thanks very much for the information.

So after I gathered a group of friends today to try out Kemet for the first time, we opened the box and found out that all the troops were missing, yeay! ........evening ruined :(
I didn't want to open it beforehand so everyone invovled could get a good sniff of a freshly opened boardgame, the most expensive drug there is.

Man, that sucks. Great game, though...not that knowing this helps your predicament.

I'm curious on how durable the paint is on the miniatures. I have a great way to store them but they are just in a pile together...separated by type of course!

When you finish painting miniatures, you apply a layer of matte varnish on them to protect the paint. Otherwise it would just come out as you hold it by anywhere but the base. With this, they can handle touching each other, no pun intended, as long as you don't shake the box much. If you are going bacpacking, a little more care is required.

Karkador

Banned
I'm getting pretty interested in this Tragedy Looper game. It sorta looks like a board game manifestation of great DS adventure games like 999 and Ghost Trick.

Lyng

Welp, I take that back then. I was really put off by those "real men play boardgames" comments, it was his "signature" for a long time.

I think its meant as that Real men play Boardgames full stop. Not Real men play Boardgames instead of Videogames.
As mentioned by other users Tom plays Skyrim, X-com etc. Also frequently hear him speak about Civ V.
I also remember him specifically saying he would rather play a videogame than a solo boardgame.

Chorazin

Enjoyed playing Quantum a lot last night, it compresses a lot of extra stuff from more involved space exploration and combat games into a simple format. It's very combat focused, which sometimes blinds you to all the other things you can do, which is why I lost the second game of it we played last night. :( I can't stop thinking about it though, so I hope I can get it on the table again soon.

Tokaido went over about as well as expected!

Experien

When you finish painting miniatures, you apply a layer of matte varnish on them to protect the paint. Otherwise it would just come out as you hold it by anywhere but the base. With this, they can handle touching each other, no pun intended, as long as you don't shake the box much. If you are going bacpacking, a little more care is required.

Nice! Nah, I have too much Zombicide that it is in a huge (yet convenient) box so now throwing that around. Might have to try this one lazy weekend or a day off.

Varnish is not the best protection, it's mainly to protect against finger oils, you still need to keep any painted figures from touching mostly so you would need a storage solution like a figure case or pluck foam trays. The zombicide figures are pretty sturdy at least, but with lot of board game figs it's harder to paint them too since they are often flexible cheap plastic which can cause the paint to chip with basic handling bending the acrylic too much.

I never paint board games with tons of figures because of all the extra space needed for storage you need for it to keep the figs safe.

Hit it with some varnish and everything will be just fine. If your figs get heavy play, hit them again every once in awhile with more varnish if you're worried about wear. If you use the dip method and choose Army Painters, that stuff puts a bulletproof coating over everything. You still need to hit it with a matte varnish to knock the shine off though.

Zombicide has trays for all it's miniatures. My other games are not so lucky. I actually put them in displays for my office and game room. My stuff does not travel. People come to me!

I'm going to start my first miniature painting attempt soon with Battlelore 2nd and planning on a similar scheme for the sides (variation on the base color from head to toe).

The factions do not look overwhelmingly large, so it might be worth it to personalize them a bit more. Regardless, any effort put into painting up your board game is time well spent IMO. A fully painted game is rare and amazing. I have 60 Descent heroes but people only want to use the handful of painted ones I have, lol. When the time comes to paint my Zombicide characters, I will ask each player who they like best, and paint those 4-5 pieces first, along with their zombie versions of course.

Good luck and have fun! It is extremely satisfying to "finish off" a board game by pimping out everything in it. It makes a good thing significantly better.

Top Bottom