• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Neverfade

While roll-and-move is technically a pretty large catch-all, I'd say there's a good argument against "rolling = your movement" necessarily being a roll-and-move game.

joelseph

Got 3 games of KoNY and 2 games of Camel Up in last night. Great fun was had by all. Camel Cup is turning out to be a gem every time I table it.

Board game night tomorrow with a couple that we've had a few games with. We're into the dangerous part of our gaming relationship, where we've played a few gateways and they have had a good time, but I now run the risk of going too hardcore too quickly. Hope I don't screw this up!

Board game night tomorrow with a couple that we've had a few games with. We're into the dangerous part of our gaming relationship, where we've played a few gateways and they have had a good time, but I now run the risk of going too hardcore too quickly. Hope I don't screw this up!

"Have you heard of Space Hulk?"

What has been your progression?

What are you gonna choose next? Stone age, 7w?

Advanced Squad Leader bitches, now you are in the big leagues. *drop 5 inch thick binder on table*

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We did 7 Wonders with them already, but I can't remember what we did before that. I was thinking of trying either Kingsburg or Castles of Burgandy next.

Though I do have an unplayed copy of Terra Mystica burning a hole in my board game closet,,,

You have to be careful with player counts on both Kingsburg and CoB. I wouldn't play either with more than 3 tbh.

Phthisis

Advanced Squad Leader bitches, now you are in the big leagues. *drop 5 inch thick binder on table*

"Now that you've mastered ASL, I want to introduce you to the Operational Combat Series. Please step into my warehouse."

pic1417899_lg.jpg

I think you live in a different hemisphere, don't you?

Yes, but I've been living/working in the SF bay area for a couple of years now. I'm going back to South America this december.

That's why I was out of the hobby for the last two years, all my games are back home and not enough time to play. Trying to get back into it and bring some games with me by the end of the year. I just placed some massive orders on CSI and MM. Gonna go through them this weekend :D

Yes, but I've been living/working in the SF bay area for a couple of years now. I'm going back to South America this december.

Then I think you are stuck playing with AstroLad before you head for home. Unless you plan on coming to Seattle for PAX next weekend, then we might be able to game a bit.

Phthisis

Mail day is the best day.

10551717_674550095964050_12360429743861264_o.jpg

Won by the Sword in particular is going to be so much my jam. I was in Wurttemberg a couple weeks ago and went to the Landesmuseum in Stuttgart, and they had some interesting exhibits on the 30 Years War and how irt affected the region, so with now some inkling of historical background, I am really excited to get it on the table. CDGs are my favorite genre, and the rulebook is a svelte 12 pages.

daevv

Mail day is the best day.

Won by the Sword in particular is going to be so much my jam. I was in Wurttemberg a couple weeks ago and went to the Landesmuseum in Stuttgart, and they had some interesting exhibits on the 30 Years War and how irt affected the region, so with now some inkling of historical background, I am really excited to get it on the table. CDGs are my favorite genre, and the rulebook is a svelte 12 pages.

Sweet games! I see D-Day in the pic too!
My Fire in the Lake page still says "Not yet shipped". :(

Musan

I have been going to various board game groups in the bay area for several years now, so I'd be up for some games as well.

Doombear

Swung by and spent a gift certificate that had been burning a hole in the collective pockets of my daughter and I. I grabbed A Few Acres of Snow hoping to get my wife in on some games, and she grabbed Gloom. Should be a fun weekend. On top of those we rented Miskatonic School for Girls and Memoir '44.

Wargames and Cthulhu.

Phthisis

Yeah, I just got D-Day the other day. Haven't had much time to get into it, but with this new arrival, it's going to be a bit. I did get it punched and sorted, though, and framed the map. I hear good things.

The partially punched counter sheet on top is actually the Soviet forces from The Mighty Endeavor, another game I got this week. Been playing the western front of that one solo on my kitchen table. Really fun, interesting strategic game.

zulux21

I finally got a chance to play tragedy looper...
must say... I can't remember the last time i played a board game for 2 hours and it only felt like 30 minutes @_@

I picked up Legendary Encounters, which is the Alien version of Marvel Legendary, yesterday. I also ran through a solo game using the Alien scenario and I had a good time. The game felt different enough from Marvel to not feel the same, but it's familiar enough that if you've played Marvel you can jump right into this with very little instruction.

You should get it soon, I got mine yesterday. GMT games are pretty bad with updating their status page, but they are fast shippers. When I was living in L.A. I used to get the games before they even sent me my notice that it had shipped.

daevv

You should get it soon, I got mine yesterday. GMT games are pretty bad with updating their status page, but they are fast shippers. When I was living in L.A. I used to get the games before they even sent me my notice that it had shipped.

Good news! Hopefully it will get here in the next week or so as I'm in Canada.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
You know what's awesome?

When your wife writes a blog post using SEO techniques from 5 years ago without telling you and gets you in google's penalty box for that big new game you have coming out in two weeks.

Wait, why did you link internally only? Why did you use the word like 50 thousand times?

We were already second, did you think you were going to jump BGG?

:SUPER ANGRY FACE:

You know what's awesome?

When your wife writes a blog post using SEO techniques from 5 years ago without telling you and gets you in google's penalty box for that big new game you have coming out in two weeks.

Wait, why did you link internally only? Why did you use the word like 50 thousand times?

We were already second, did you think you were going to jump BGG?

:SUPER ANGRY FACE:

I'm assuming the word like was used that much because it's awesome!

Apenheul

Star Realms is pretty decent, I'm not big on deckpooling games (e.g. Dominion, Ascension, Trains) but at around 15 Euro's it's a good purchase if you're even remotely interested in this type of game. Basically it plays like Ascension but against another player instead of a common set of enemies. Every player starts with 50 authority (life) and a deck containing 8 scouts (1 monetary resource) and 2 vipers (1 combat resource) and just like Ascension you purchase from a selection of cards that come from a shuffled deck each turn, and you can do direct damage to the other player or to one of his bases. A new thing and one that's been inspired by Heartstone is the 'output' trait of bases, which means that they need to be destroyed first before you can target the other player again. All in all this 15 Euro game feels just as 'complete' as the 35 euro Ascension even though it comes in such a small box. I don't really know how balanced it is since I've only played two sessions but it was quick (around 30 minutes) and enjoyable.

Played in my first TtR tourney today. Just a local thing, with 19 people.

Lost all 3 rounds (last was due to a big error on my part), but still had a blast, met some new people, and looking forward to the next one, whenever that will be.

Gopher. I generally check there first because Dave has always been cool with Volition people. Goat is kind of killing everyone in town, though.

True, though Dragon's Table has been having a 25% off "moving" sale for like 2 or 3 months now. The Goat definitely has the best lighting and table space, though.

Karkador

Banned
I finally got a chance to play tragedy looper...
must say... I can't remember the last time i played a board game for 2 hours and it only felt like 30 minutes @_@

So, I played Tragedy Looper today....

This game exists somewhere between Whitechapel, Mr. Jack, and a RPG with a GM. That is to say, it's really interesting. Even though we played the intro scenario, I could already start to see how the Mastermind can make this game tricky and twisted. I want to play it again.

Star Realms is pretty decent, I'm not big on deckpooling games (e.g. Dominion, Ascension, Trains) but at around 15 Euro's it's a good purchase if you're even remotely interested in this type of game. Basically it plays like Ascension but against another player instead of a common set of enemies. Every player starts with 50 authority (life) and a deck containing 8 scouts (1 monetary resource) and 2 vipers (1 combat resource) and just like Ascension you purchase from a selection of cards that come from a shuffled deck each turn, and you can do direct damage to the other player or to one of his bases. A new thing and one that's been inspired by Heartstone is the 'output' trait of bases, which means that they need to be destroyed first before you can target the other player again. All in all this 15 Euro game feels just as 'complete' as the 35 euro Ascension even though it comes in such a small box. I don't really know how balanced it is since I've only played two sessions but it was quick (around 30 minutes) and enjoyable.

I found that it loses its appeal quite fast due to unbalanced cards and design issues of the dynamic central tray. I'd rather pay more to get a better, lasting game if price is a matter.

Lyng

This game exists somewhere between Whitechapel, Mr. Jack, and a RPG with a GM. That is to say, it's really interesting. Even though we played the intro scenario, I could already start to see how the Mastermind can make this game tricky and twisted. I want to play it again.

Yeah ever since hearing Eric Summerer talking about it, I have been intrigued. How does a turn play off? What kind actions can the MM and the players take?

zulux21

yeah I still haven't played past the intro stuff, and I was lucky enough to have someone who was trained by z-man games themselves teaching me to play it. even through it was the intro mission we still have a lot of talking between players and debating about the best move.
Yeah ever since hearing Eric Summerer talking about it, I have been intrigued. How does a turn play off? What kind actions can the MM and the players take?

this is one of those games that once you know what is going on isn't so bad but actually learning what is going on can take a bit.

Either way the answer to your question at heart isn't that complicated.
Each day the mastermind gets to play 3 cards (either on NPCs or a location) and then the players get to each play 1 card (assuming you are playing with 4 players which is what the game is designed for, though there are rules for playing with just 2 or 3) after that the cards are resolved. The mastermind then has a chance to use special abilities that are tied to roles and the scenario, and then you resolve the end of day stuff (which will vary depending on roles and events that are to take place on that day)

As for what the cards do, well in general they are just stuff like move a character, make a character more paranoid, players can grant goodwill, mastermind intrigue and these all do different things depending on what NPC with what role and what day it is. (the nice part is the mastermind cards don't really feel powerful compared to the player cards, there are a little more powerful, but nothing that the players shouldn't be able to handle if they know what is going on) The game has a ton of systems that are each in themselves fairly simple, but together add quite a bit of complexity and flexibility to the game, resulting in people being able to create brand new scenarios for the game, which is a good thing because you can't really play the same ones again (since all of the NPC roles and events are defined by the scenario)

hopefully that helps (just got home from my local con thus am a little tired :p)

Karkador

Banned
Yeah, to expand on what zulu said -

It's important to understand that the game is scripted, but not entirely. The script has bad, unfortunate things happening to the NPCs in the game, and it's the players' jobs to try to avert that fate for the NPCs.

So what's interesting about the game is that the players begin with almost no information about what the scenario is - not even how to lose. They have to experiment and do a little trial and error (and be VERY attentive) to figure out what's going on. If you mess it up and lose (which you should, to get some idea of what's going on in this microcosm)? That's what time-travel and resetting back to Day 1 is for - but you only have a few tries to Loop back in time.

Meanwhile, the Mastermind has almost "full" information about what's going, because they're running the entire game - but they have one big unknown, and that's what the players will do to change 'fate'.

So it can become this battle of wits, as both the Mastermind and the players are manipulating the NPCs to get the desired outcome.
It's possible for the Mastermind to trick you into thinking something happened because of one coincidence, when it really happened because of something else that happened at the same exact time, and that might throw your entire game off. It's possible to bluff just by the way the cards are played, too.

The very exciting thing is that unlike Whitechapel or Mr Jack, the different scenarios in the game propose different mixes of rules and situations and hidden roles for characters that really change the game up, and the game is setup for players to create their own scripts, too - I love when board games give you some space to be creative with them. It feels very interesting middle ground between a deduction board game and an RPG.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was at local store which carries all kinds crap, clothes, games, art...and I came across Conflict of Heroes Storm of Steel for $25. I already have a lot of WW2 games, but I couldn't pass it up.

The rulebook looks daunting, or is it easier than it looks?

Top Bottom