• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Experien

Hit it with some varnish and everything will be just fine. If your figs get heavy play, hit them again every once in awhile with more varnish if you're worried about wear. If you use the dip method and choose Army Painters, that stuff puts a bulletproof coating over everything. You still need to hit it with a matte varnish to knock the shine off though.

Zombicide has trays for all it's miniatures. My other games are not so lucky. I actually put them in displays for my office and game room. My stuff does not travel. People come to me!

People come to me as well and only my smaller stuff travels. I'll take a picture of my Zombicide case when I get home tonight. But these are nice tips!

joelseph

My "minis and skinnys"

UdMd6S7.jpg

Tarsul

Hi everyone,

Three of my friends and me are playing Descent, 2nd edition since the beginning of the year and with all the addons that are available there is enough to keep us going (especially since everyone wants to play the overlord sometime). However, I am looking for alternatives. I think what really motivates us about Descent is that it has a campaign where you grow stronger over time. You're always looking forward to new items, new skills. 2 of my friends think that also the motivation comes from playing against each other so I have trouble convincing them to buy the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (since that is co-op only, no human enemy). Also, one thinks it is not as tactical.. well, I think that's difficult to judge without having played it.

So my questions are: what games would you suggest for us? Is Pathfinder good for us or not? Do we really need a campaign to keep us motivated in the longterm? What other games offer campaigns?

joelseph

How is Card of the Dead?

Would be a pass for me now. Bought it under the spell of Seiji Kanai and Love Letter. My thought process at the time was it's AEG and Japanese so it must be good.

It held my attention for a few plays but I found it's too luck based for a "take that" style game. It boils down to what you flip over and who you want to screw with it.

Only time I sneak it out is when we are out in public waiting to do something. It's a good pickup filler that you can talk over and not take too seriously.

Hi everyone,

Three of my friends and me are playing Descent, 2nd edition since the beginning of the year and with all the addons that are available there is enough to keep us going (especially since everyone wants to play the overlord sometime). However, I am looking for alternatives. I think what really motivates us about Descent is that it has a campaign where you grow stronger over time. You're always looking forward to new items, new skills. 2 of my friends think that also the motivation comes from playing against each other so I have trouble convincing them to buy the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (since that is co-op only, no human enemy). Also, one thinks it is not as tactical.. well, I think that's difficult to judge without having played it.

So my questions are: what games would you suggest for us? Is Pathfinder good for us or not? Do we really need a campaign to keep us motivated in the longterm? What other games offer campaigns?

Pathfinder Card game has little tactics, you can plan your scenario out amongst players, but the game also has a high luck factor due to the random cards you make the decks out of, so best laid plans often will get ruined by your group not having the right or enough of a particular skill check to make.

A Descent like game that has campaign like play that might be worth a look would be Level 7 [Omega Protocol]. It's like sci fi Descent, though with less loot and progression options.

joelseph

Hi everyone,

(click through for details nvm site is horrible, check them out on KS)

joelseph

I found the lack of overload to be refreshing but I can also totally understand not liking pure coop.

What SoB does do right is character growth over multiple games.
Also a pro for me, unlike Decent, there is no setup to configure a predetermined board, it grows randomly as you go.

Dragoshi1

Target now carries King of Tokyo, for $39.99, which is pretty cool.

They also had some games with a sticker saying "This game was backed by Kickstarter!".

Anyway, is Krosmaster Arena any good?

Tarsul

Thanks for the answers!

It's quite difficult to find the right infos about the games. E.g. where could you buy shadow of brimstone (in Europe). Also, there seems to be different versions, quite irritating.

About Level 7 [Omega Protocol]: How much progression is there? How long is a campaign?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks for the answers!

It's quite difficult to find the right infos about the games. E.g. where could you buy shadow of brimstone (in Europe). Also, there seems to be different versions, quite irritating.

About Level 7 [Omega Protocol]: How much progression is there? How long is a campaign?

BGG pretty much has all the answers. For Kickstarters it gets messy sometimes because they make 18,000 versions but to me that's on the publisher, not the internet. In any event, you can definitely ask pretty much any such questions on the SoB General forum and BGG and usually get exactly the answers you need. BGG is pretty amazing for questions. Half the time you ask a decent rules question, you'll get one of the designers weighing in at some point. :p

Experien

Thanks for the answers!

Well Shadows of Brimstone DOES have two different versions and has nothing to do with Kickstarter. Both have you start in western mines but then you can go through portal to either snowplace or swampplace. Each box has different heroes, enemies, and cards but are the same game. Buy the locale/miniatures you like the best or both and combine them. But the game isn't going to be officially out until November at least.

Thanks for the answers!

Campaign is a booklet of mission tied by a story essentially, with progression being simply simply part of the bonus where all players survive the scenario, they get a point that one of the players can use to buy additional or new cards from their kit selection. Progression is very lite in Omega Protocol.

So how does everyone here store their games? I hate stacking due to box wear, but it's the most space efficient. I hate putting opened games sideways because generally everything parts to the bottom, becomes unsorted (even if bagged), and the bottom of the box bows. Anyone have a unique solution?

Stack big box games, vertical for smaller/card/dice games. I have them set up kind of to display them in the library.

I keep my miniatures seperate in bags, painted miniatures in display cases, and keep expansions with main games.

The one thing I do that may be unique is that I keep all my instruction books seperate in a desk drawer, as well as a digital copy on my ipad.

tm24

My brother is an instructor at this model UN private after school thing for kids 8-18. I sent him a copy of Diplomacy. How evil am I?

Hi everyone,

The new shadow run crossfire game might be a better option than pathfinder for scenario play and character progression.

And you use stickers for the progression stuff? Is that true? Guy at the Catalyst booth was all excited about it and like and you can buy the character packs for more stickers if you run out. errrr

Phthisis

So how does everyone here store their games? I hate stacking due to box wear, but it's the most space efficient. I hate putting opened games sideways because generally everything parts to the bottom, becomes unsorted (even if bagged), and the bottom of the box bows. Anyone have a unique solution?

Heavy, sturdiest boxes on the bottom, go lighter and thinner as you pile on. Works for me with no adverse effects (it's just a little like playing Tetris to make sure the box sizes aren't weird).

Hold up - stickers in a game? I gotta see this.

They're more like the removable stickers that were on colorforms or whatnot. The character cards are also dry-erase friendly.

Definitely try the game before you buy it. I did not like it.

Just wondering, did you play a full mission or just demo it? I'm only asking because our entire group loved it enough that the three of us that hadn't purchased it made it a point at Gen Con to buy our own copies.

Experien

I played Impulse last night...probably not the best idea to teach 5 people to play it at the same time. Took about 2 hours to get to 15 points so we called it quits then...part of the delay is that everyone waits until last minute to decide what they are going to put in the impulse, etc, so not a knock against the game. Power can shift quickly in that game though.

Target now carries King of Tokyo, for $39.99, which is pretty cool.

King of New York completely replaces King of Tokyo now. So I wouldn't recommend buying that at that price at all. Not to mention it is $27.99 on Coolstuff. Not to not to mention King of New York is $34.99 there as well.

If you already own King of Tokyo, you can use it as an easier teaching variant to non-gamers or at occasions when you want something slightly simpler or something. Other than that, until they add power-up cards to the King of New York monsters, you don't even need King of Tokyo for completionist OCD.

Check Miami Dice, Episode 142 - King of New York for more details.

hat_hair

King of New York completely replaces King of Tokyo now. So I wouldn't recommend buying that at that price at all. Not to mention it is $27.99 on Coolstuff. Not to not to mention King of New York is $34.99 there as well.

If you already own King of Tokyo, you can use it as an easier teaching variant to non-gamers or at occasions when you want something slightly simpler or something. Other than that, until they add power-up cards to the King of New York monsters, you don't even need King of Tokyo for completionist OCD.

Check Miami Dice, Episode 142 - King of New York for more details.

Gah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy that, but I suppose it was inevitable.

zulux21

so.... I bought tau from spark games and they sent me their new game as well Hypocrisy

I was wondering if anyone at gencon tried this game out and if so they could go into detail about how it is played as... I don't really get it ><;

daevv

so.... I bought tau from spark games and they sent me their new game as well Hypocrisy

I was wondering if anyone at gencon tried this game out and if so they could go into detail about how it is played as... I don't really get it ><;

I bought Tau at Gen Con but didn't get Hypocrisy. I have not played Tau but I think I understand it or were you asking about Hypocrisy?

Hold up - stickers in a game? I gotta see this.

Yea no idea as the Catalyst guy told me they were stickers that you essentially put on your character sheet as you earn upgrades for your character and you customize them. Didn't mention them being removable or see how well this all works out, but seemed kinda odd when he described it.

Karkador

Banned
Yea no idea as the Catalyst guy told me they were stickers that you essentially put on your character sheet as you earn upgrades for your character and you customize them. Didn't mention them being removable or see how well this all works out, but seemed kinda odd when he described it.

It sounds awesome to me. I don't know why board games aren't all about more traditional physical media like stickers and stamps.

XShagrath

It sounds awesome to me. I don't know why board games aren't all about more traditional physical media like stickers and stamps.
Because you might want to play something multiple times, and stickers and stamps will fuck that up?

If it's "colorforms" or dry-erase type stuff, that's totally different because it's removable.

I heard that there will be enough copies of the stickers coming with the 'Shadowrun: Crossfire' and 'Shadowrun: Crossfire – Character Expansion Pack 1' to last a long while and that the character boards are durable enough to handle applying and removing those stickers many times.

Worst case, if you love the game so much to play it enough to ran out of stickers, you can get more printed for quite cheap at any print shop (an A4 sticker sheet gets printed for around $0.25 here) .

XShagrath

I guess I just care too much about keeping things in perfect condition (or as close to it as possible). I sleeve pretty much any game that requires any amount of shuffling, and I sure as hell didn't mark off my skill bonuses on my Pathfinder cards. I printed out character sheets and marked those instead.

Different strokes for different folks.

Karkador

Banned
Because you might want to play something multiple times, and stickers and stamps will fuck that up?

If it's "colorforms" or dry-erase type stuff, that's totally different because it's removable.

You can make it a campaign-type of game that plays out over several sessions, or just make the stampable/stickerable bits refillable (like a paper pad or something).

I get the desire to want to protect your games, but there is fun in "using" things, too, if that makes sense. I haven't played Risk Legacy, but it sounds like a pretty fun time.

The spoils!

2786707C-818E-44F5-BE54-868F8ADAB9DA.jpg

I'm going through them tonight while watching bad TV with my wife. It will be a week or two before we can play due to vacation plans, but I can read instructions and such until then.

Neverfade

We played a game of Betrayal and I think I've been too hard on it. Sure, it's sort of a lousy game based simply on mechanics, but I have to admit: the flavor text, coming up with silly reasons for absurd house layout, the stupid characters, rolling 4 deep into the room with the traitor's monster only for everyone to scatter like roaches when that bastard swings a 12 damage might attack and turns one player to jelly -- it was a lot of fun. A couple years away from it is exactly what I needed.

However, there is a giant typo (via omission) that brings Haunt #29 to a screeching halt. That sucked.

Angst

The spoils!

2786707C-818E-44F5-BE54-868F8ADAB9DA.jpg

I'm going through them tonight while watching bad TV with my wife. It will be a week or two before we can play due to vacation plans, but I can read instructions and such until then.
Nice games!

Is that your second kitchen or something? My wife wouldn't be very happy with me if I filled our kitchen with Lego... :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I didn't feel it. It just doesn't seem like it stands apart from other bluffing games. It's got really nice art though.

Did anyone else demo this at Gen Con?

I bought it but haven't played it yet.

Nate at IDW couldn't stop singing it's praises and I feel I will probably like it.

That said, really really mean games are my favorite variety so pretty much any bluffing will likely go well with me.

Flynn

Looks like Vlaada Chvatil's Prophecy is finally back in print. Z-Man has been promising this one for a long time.

When I played it years ago I found it to be much like Talisman except good.

Top Bottom