• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I was at local store which carries all kinds crap, clothes, games, art...and I came across Conflict of Heroes Storm of Steel for $25. I already have a lot of WW2 games, but I couldn't pass it up.

The rulebook looks daunting, or is it easier than it looks?

For a wargame, it's not much more complex than something like Tide of Iron. It looks daunting because of how the rulebook is set up and the components make it look like a real fiddly meaty historical wargame, but in reality it's a pretty simple system that plays real well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For a wargame, it's not much more complex than something like Tide of Iron. It looks daunting because of how the rulebook is set up and the components make it look like a real fiddly meaty historical wargame, but in reality it's a pretty simple system that plays real well.

Nice. Looks like there are a few solo missions, which is good since it may be tough to get another war game in the rotation with friends.

So looks like Mantic's Dungeon crawler kickstarter got called out for their blatant copy of Felicia Day The Guild mini, no longer part of a stretch goal heheh.

Experien

First attempt at foamcore and am pleased with the results. Last Night on Earth has TOO many expansions so I decided to put the latest two together.

CquzwWM.jpg

All the boards & 2 instructions fit just a few mm's above the top of the box. I MIGHT go back and shave some parts down or just leave it as is. The corner pieces are swirling around (blank spot in one corner and then the next and then the next) so it is pretty flat laying down.

All pieces in their spot. The top row/section have the Day Tracker which means I couldn't divide that section up. I could put the tracker on top of the card section so I could divid up the big section but aside from the figures, the top part only contains in-game options.

I feel this is where it really shines. The token tray has separate sections for wounds & XP as well as small tokens like generators, spawns, objective markers. Pull it out and grab the necessary pieces.

And as you see the card tray. To save room I have Hero Deck on left, Hero Upgrades (all 3, each separated by the 3 turn guides) next to it and then Zombie Upgrades and Zombie Deck. Can easily take the Zombie stuff out and fill out the remaining two slots with the stacked Hero Upgrades.

It could be ironed out more but for my first attempt, I am quite pleased with how this turned out. Can't wait to try another game...hmmm, which will it be.

Hey guys,

how's Rex: Final days of an empire? It seems like a great fit into my collection. (Decided against ordering Twilight Imperium, but I am intrigued of the TI universe). We all love Cosmic Encounter and reading that Rex is based on the Dune board game which is developed by the Cosmic Encounter creators rises my urge to get it.

Did any of you guys play it?

Karkador

Banned
Hey guys,

how's Rex: Final days of an empire? It seems like a great fit into my collection. (Decided against ordering Twilight Imperium, but I am intrigued of the TI universe). We all love Cosmic Encounter and reading that Rex is based on the Dune board game which is developed by the Cosmic Encounter creators rises my urge to get it.

Did any of you guys play it?

If you guys love Cosmic Encounter, you will probably love Rex. Although, don't go into it expecting there to be zillions of different races to play, though the ones in the game are supposed to be very different from each other.

Rex is real good, bit of a wargame in part and there is alot of theme built into the game, while it stays pretty solid overall. They did a nice job also with the manual and building in a narrative to the game connecting it to the history of the TI universe.

Makes me wonder if FFG will ever decide to make an original RPG using their own setting. Terrinoth and TI would make great settings for them to create their own RPGs. But they seem to be hands full with the licensed games right now.

Kitbash

It could be ironed out more but for my first attempt, I am quite pleased with how this turned out. Can't wait to try another game...hmmm, which will it be.
Looks great! I was also hit with the foamcore bug recently and started with this one for Dead of Winter:
Next in the queue (after I find a sharper blade) is Flash Point, followed by A Study in Emerald. I think we'd see a lot more of these if people realized just how easy they are to make. And oddly satisfying!

So tell me where I can find out more about this "foamcore". I've dolled up boxes for a ton of my games, most recently with Machi Koro (which can't hold sleeved cards).

I like my work with cardboard, but hate the huge amounts of tape I have to use to hold it together.

So tell me where I can find out more about this "foamcore". I've dolled up boxes for a ton of my games, most recently with Machi Koro (which can't hold sleeved cards).

I like my work with cardboard, but hate the huge amounts of tape I have to use to hold it together.

Any craft store will have it, often in various colors. I believe even WalMart will have it in limited sizes. Just make sure your knife is sharp as hell, and change the blade often. Styrofoam murders razor knives.

You might want to get 5mm thick foamcore for these types of boardgame uses, especially if you are going to deal with tokens and such. I personally use 3mm for dividing walls and plano boxes for tokens. Also getting a cutting mat is useful. Other than that you just need a razorblade, glue and metal ruler for both cutting and measuring. Foamcore is extremely cheap and the rest you'll keep re-using for a long while.

ultron87

Cosmic Encounter is up near the top in my board game pantheon. I absolutely adore it. It is a little random at times, but the variety of the giant pile of aliens and the way the players self balance it is just great.

As far as negotiation games go, I've played better.

I agree, but I consider it more of a hand management game and "special powers" type game. It's definitely not a pure negotiation game and wanting to play that kind of game should not draw you to cosmic encounter given that there are many stronger pure negotiation games out there.

I finally got a copy of Marvel Dice and had a quick go of it today. Seems like fun. I reckon it's something my son and I will enjoy together when he's a few years older. Now I should go invest in some dice bags and booster packs.

Flynn

It can be fun with the right kind of people. I think it suffers from having so many expansions that mostly add stuff you'd never want to play with.

It can be fun to just accept the insanity. You just have to make sure everybody has the same expectations: that one person might get a power that seems insanely broken. If you roll with it and have fun trying to combat the brokenness with good nature, it's a good time.

Icefire1424

"Now that you've mastered ASL, I want to introduce you to the Operational Combat Series. Please step into my warehouse."

Good. God. Man.

I get that wargamers are a very special breed of gamer, but that is insane. Looks like you have the entirety of Europe spread out on that table.

..how in the hell do you actually move anything in the center of that board, anyways?

Lyng

also while the price isn't up on coolstuff last i looked... it was $40 at gencon so it doesn't exactly break the bank which is nice.

Yeah contacted one of the online retailers I usually use. So have it pre ordered now.

Wonder what the price for us europeans will be.

fenners

Broken token stuff is awesome, and being wood it adds some extra strength to the boxes for storage. Real good and well prices.

I've always liked the look of it but hadn't seen any "real" reviews outside of their site.

Anyone have any idea how many sleeved LCG cards I could hold in something like this? I've got a bunch of sleeved LOTR cards I'd love to get organized.

I wonder if they'll come up with something for Arkham + expansions :) Mind you, I don't think all the cards for Arkham will even fit in one big box.

Another organizational option is Broken Token . They are adding more games constantly.
Can I request something for Cosmic Encounter please?

Any opinions on Cosmic Encounter? I've actually never played it, but it seems like something some of the people I play with would enjoy.
Best board game purchase ever. The game is pure fun if you can accept what other people said above me. There are some Alien powers which are simply overpowered, but that's the one reason why the game is so interesting: One Alien can change the whole game dynamic. Each game sessions is different. And I would not count it as a negotiation game. To be honest, we hate the standard negotiation rules like "You get one colony, if I get a colony".

But yes. It gets my highest praise. And yes. I bought the core game in April, and played the game in June for the first time. I bought the first two Expansion kits after my first session. I regret nothing. Furthermore the last three are on my way.

I've always liked the look of it but hadn't seen any "real" reviews outside of their site.

Anyone have any idea how many sleeved LCG cards I could hold in something like this? I've got a bunch of sleeved LOTR cards I'd love to get organized.

I wonder if they'll come up with something for Arkham + expansions :) Mind you, I don't think all the cards for Arkham will even fit in one big box.

Quality and price is good. Some of the assembly of the corner pieces can be a bit annoying but if you sand down the joining puzzle piece like edges, they usually go together smooth. They tell you to use little white glue as well when putting it together but never bothered and find it all sturdy.

Dont have them sleeved, but got every Star Wars LCG card in one box now with all counters and tokens using the broken token LCG set.

joelseph

High quality wood inserts. I had small issues with the more complicated builds but nothing that I couldn't fix myself. The strength and weight they add to the box is great for storing and displaying. The best thing about Broken Token is they are new, small and super friendly. I got to meet them at GenCon, super nice couple.

Experien

Looks great! I was also hit with the foamcore bug recently and started with this one for Dead of Winter:

Next in the queue (after I find a sharper blade) is Flash Point, followed by A Study in Emerald. I think we'd see a lot more of these if people realized just how easy they are to make. And oddly satisfying!

That is nice. I think games are easier/looks nicer if they have less pieces. It is quite easy to use foamcore but I was having trouble with some straight/smooth lines. Any tips? I got a metal ruler (might get a smaller one too) and craft knife.

I want to do Eldritch Horror but feel I should wait for the next expansion since it adds a new board.

Another organizational option is Broken Token . They are adding more games constantly.

I got their King of Tokyo and it like it, I hope it can fit King of New York in there too.

And are they adding more? Either they are new or they've had the same stuff for a long time. Never got the impression that they add many things to their list.

Another organization option is the Esoteric Order of Gaming (please view using a computer, not a portable).

I stumbled upon them a few years ago because they make awesome summary sheets for rules for games. Then last night, I watched one of their members wing the foamcore box for Descent: 2nd Edition and they mentioned they have made plans for some games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Woohoo just ordered from those guys. My KoT desperately needs something like that. I don't imagine KoNY will fit in it though because they're supposed to be separate games so I imagine there's too much in the KoNY box?

Draxal

Woohoo just ordered from those guys. My KoT desperately needs something like that. I don't imagine KoNY will fit in it though because they're supposed to be separate games so I imagine there's too much in the KoNY box?

Well, it probably would also fit in the KoNY box (looking at the Miami Dice Tower review the boxes look exactly the same), if he was asking that.

fenners

Another organization option is the Esoteric Order of Gaming (please view using a computer, not a portable).

I stumbled upon them a few years ago because they make awesome summary sheets for rules for games. Then last night, I watched one of their members wing the foamcore box for Descent: 2nd Edition and they mentioned they have made plans for some games.

Yeah, that's "UniversalHead"'s own website. Fantastic guides to games.

And are they adding more? Either they are new or they've had the same stuff for a long time. Never got the impression that they add many things to their list.

They been adding little bit at a time. They are small time operation, believe it's only a couple that runs the company.

joelseph

They been adding little bit at a time. They are small time operation, believe it's only a couple that runs the company.

Very nice couple. Here is Greg with Antoine Bauza at GenCon 2014. He gave me a couple coupons with discount codes, if I kept them I will post them tonight.

BvCqivyCQAEmbce.jpg

Phthisis

Good. God. Man.

I get that wargamers are a very special breed of gamer, but that is insane. Looks like you have the entirety of Europe spread out on that table.

..how in the hell do you actually move anything in the center of that board, anyways?

Very carefully ;)

The best part about that picture is that it's ONLY Case Blue spread out there (which is basically the southern part of Russia near the Black Sea: Sevastapol and the Astrakhan oil fields). You can combine the game with MMP's other Eastern Front monster, Guderian's Blitzkrieg II, to have a whopping 12+ maps that covers almost the entire Eastern front, from Moscow all the way to the Urals west-east. What I find fascinating is that the maps are all to relative scale (which is why it's so damn huge).

This guy has been doing a playthrough of that combo on his YT channel for almost a year. It's insane. He built tables and filled up his gaming room specifically so he could play it all.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If you want a solid negotiation game, get Sheriff of Nottingham pre-ordered.

It's real, real solid.

Given the time it takes to play (60 minutes) it's really hard to beat.

Karkador

Banned
If you want a solid negotiation game, get Sheriff of Nottingham pre-ordered.

It's real, real solid.

Given the time it takes to play (60 minutes) it's really hard to beat.

Myself and the other players I played with thought the game was mechanically kind of 'blah', but I really enjoyed that you can get creative with the negotiations. I would lock people into Prisoner's Dilemma type of situations by pairing up the bags and threatening to open the pair of bags that paid me the least money. Every time I was the Sheriff, I would throw some weird new mini-game into the mix.

As a result, no one trusted my bag contents ever :p

StoOgE

I just wish it played more.

I do and don't. I would like a 6 player version of it, but I do wonder if it would drag too much.

Myself and the other players I played with thought the game was mechanically kind of 'blah', but I really enjoyed that you can get creative with the negotiations. I would lock people into Prisoner's Dilemma type of situations by pairing up the bags and threatening to open the pair of bags that paid me the least money. Every time I was the Sheriff, I would throw some weird new mini-game into the mix.

As a result, no one trusted my bag contents ever :p

What I like about the game is the mechanics FORCE negotiation. I've played games of both Tammany and Cosmic that have had little or no negotiation going on in the game because you *can* play them that way. The bluff mechanics here aren't the best I've seen, but the forced negotiation and meta-gaming is fantastic.

I too have used the "whoever pays me the least gets there bags opened this turn and the next turn"

joelseph

I do and don't. I would like a 6 player version of it, but I do wonder if it would drag too much.

I can't think of any other reason they didn't go 6 other than it drags.

To harp on what Kark is saying about the game, the mind games you can invent are ruthless. If you are a mean sheriff though you then have to start playing safe because you will be checked constantly. Such a glorious implementation of the mechanic.

Karkador

Banned

What I like about the game is the mechanics FORCE negotiation. I've played games of both Tammany and Cosmic that have had little or no negotiation going on in the game because you *can* play them that way. The bluff mechanics here aren't the best I've seen, but the forced negotiation and meta-gaming is fantastic.

I too have used the "whoever pays me the least gets there bags opened this turn and the next turn"

Yeah, that much is good. Sometimes, people avoid negotiating in negotiation games, and it just kind of hands the game over to another player.

My comment about the mechanics was more in that the set collection stuff is kind of barebones, and the contraband cards are not that interesting to take (other than to score a few more points). I'm not sure how I feel about the game letting you keep the stuff you declared legally if you had something else in there. That seems a bit too nice?

But I saw that the game has some other contraband cards that do a bit more (not sure if those were an included expansion, or promos).

Also, I like that the rulebook calls card-counters "annoying" and has a variant to dissuade them.

StoOgE

Yeah, that much is good. Sometimes, people avoid negotiating in negotiation games, and it just kind of hands the game over to another player.

My comment about the mechanics was more in that the set collection stuff is kind of barebones, and the contraband cards are not that interesting to take (other than to score a few more points). I'm not sure how I feel about the game letting you keep the stuff you declared legally if you had something else in there. That seems a bit too nice?

On the other hand, I like that the rulebook calls card-counters "annoying" and has a variant to dissuade them.

By keeping the scoring straightforward they can effectively make a gateway negotiation game because it's relatively obvious what you want and what other players want.

I'd rather play Tammany myself (no bias there), but I appreciate that the non-obviousness of who is winning and what you want to be doing is a limiting factor for players new to the hobby.

I think SoN is a nice negotiation game that can also be a gateway game.

Top Bottom