• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Xater

By keeping the scoring straightforward they can effectively make a gateway negotiation game because it's relatively obvious what you want and what other players want.

I'd rather play Tammany myself (no bias there), but I appreciate that the non-obviousness of who is winning and what you want to be doing is a limiting factor for players new to the hobby.

I think SoN is a nice negotiation game that can also be a gateway game.

I don't think you can get away with that... ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I forgot that these sorts of things happen in this game industry, too.

Haha seriously. I feel like Asmodee generally have quite good quality too so it doesn't worry me too much. It feels a little like DoW has fallen off a bit in terms of quality of actual game design in the past few years so maybe it will help. TTR Asia is an incredible game and value though for a light/mediumweight.

Haha seriously. I feel like Asmodee generally have quite good quality too so it doesn't worry me too much. It feels a little like DoW has fallen off a bit in terms of quality of actual game design in the past few years so maybe it will help. TTR Asia is an incredible game and value though for a light/mediumweight.

Yep, the had a lot of good games back to back with SoC, TTR, Smallworld and M44. Everything went downhill after Mystery Express.

Guess it's time to buy those missing M44 expansion in case anything happens to that line.

KingErich

Banned
Whooray! Booked the hotel for BGG.Con. Ended up at the Hyatt overflow hotel. Now all I need is Con tickets. Probably gonna book the flight tonight.

May be X-Wing GAF can help me. We are playing a game today and a little confuse with Ion Cannon, it said if the attack "hit", what qualify as a hit? Is it if the damage card get dealt? (ie Hull is hit) or if it still consider a "hit" if the defender have to discard a shield? I think it's the latter but my opponent said it didn't hit because the "shield" cancel it.

Thanks.

Neverfade

May be X-Wing GAF can help me. We are playing a game today and a little confuse with Ion Cannon, it said if the attack "hit", what qualify as a hit? Is it if the damage card get dealt? (ie Hull is hit) or if it still consider a "hit" if the defender have to discard a shield? I think it's the latter but my opponent said it didn't hit because the "shield" cancel it.

Thanks.

It's a hit if you roll more 'hit' icons on the attack dice than the defenders rolls 'evades'.

If you would deal any damage, instead deal 1 and give the attacked ship an ion token.

It doesn't matter if the damaged is resolved via taking hull damage via cards or if it has to discard a shield token, ionization happens either way.

Kitbash

It is quite easy to use foamcore but I was having trouble with some straight/smooth lines. Any tips? I got a metal ruler (might get a smaller one too) and craft knife.
Cutting straight/smooth lines is giving me trouble too, but I think it's partially due to the old x-acto knife I'm using. Crooked cuts go in the scrap pile, which then gets raided for smaller pieces like the walls of a token tray.

Check out this 3-part tutorial for some good tips. Use pins to support joints while the glue is drying, etc.

fenners

I've tried making foamcore walls for my Arkham horror & it was a nightmare of non-90 degree angles & not quite straight cuts, even with a large metal ruler & a good knife.

Karkador

Banned
Y'all need a t-square

Actually, when I worked on a foamcore insert, I would line the ruler up to the lines on the cutting mat. I also found that wider blades are a bit easier to cut the board with than the standard pointy one. But it also helps to buy a pack of blades and refresh them often

JSR_Cube

I just got Imperial Settlers today in the mail. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. I like Ingacy's games generally. Any impressions of it yet?

Also, Gencon seemed to have a ton of interesting games this year. Panamax is on order. I pre-ordered Dead of Winter and like it so far. I'm dying to get my hands on Five Tribes and Hyperborea (to a lesser extent) too. Castles of Mad King Ludwig looks like something I want to play before I buy.

XShagrath

I just got Imperial Settlers today in the mail. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. I like Ingacy's games generally. Any impressions of it yet?
I played one two-player game of it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the puzzle of trying to figure out how to make the best use of all of your resources each turn, since they go away after each round.

Chorazin

Got a nice stack of games in today! Rampage, BraveRats, Cheaty Mages, Say Bye to the Villains, and Lost Legacy: Starship. Lost Legacy is definitely different enough from Love Letter, hopefully it's as fun!

EYEL1NER

Got a nice stack of games in today! Rampage, BraveRats, Cheaty Mages, Say Bye to the Villains, and Lost Legacy: Starship. Lost Legacy is definitely different enough from Love Letter, hopefully it's as fun!
Those are a couple good buys. I am looking forward to getting Lost Legacy and a version of BraveRats.
I won't be picking up the actual BraveRats release, because I dislike the cartoony rat theme. R, the original themed version only in English was sold at GenCon but that didn't do me much good. There is a post on BGG though saying that 50 copies of R were sent to BGG for listing on the store. So I am definitely gonna try to get one of those.

Anyone have any experience with or impressions of The Agents? I love the artwork of the cards and the theme but haven't really read too many reviews yet. I'm looking at a couple listings on eBay and am trying hard not to blind-buy it.

parasight

Looks great! I was also hit with the foamcore bug recently and started with this one for Dead of Winter:

Next in the queue (after I find a sharper blade) is Flash Point, followed by A Study in Emerald. I think we'd see a lot more of these if people realized just how easy they are to make. And oddly satisfying!

I must do this...

I just recently tried my first foamcore insert for Cosmic Encounter and now I can fit all 5 expansions snugly in the box. Definitely doing Dead of Winter next. Are you cards sleeved?

They always recommend 5mm foamcore on these tutorials and whatnot but I find 3mm better. I'm not sure if I really need the extra strength the that 2mm brings, it looks noticeably uglier to me, each wall being that much thicker.

fenners

Two gaming anecdotes from today.

For the lunchtime crew at work, brought in Pandemic. Four player game, I'm the only one who has played it but they've all seen it on TableTop (of course). We have some terrible luck with the red disease on the first few turns. Make it around to the first player. He completes his second turn, draws two cards & blam, a chain reaction of outbreaks cause us to run out of red cubes before I even get to play for a second time. 15 minutes including rule explanation. They *loved* it. A couple of people walked by & asked about my funky edition of it - I'm old school with the original printing + expansion. Sigh. :)

At home, my six year old son is sitting beside me ostensibly watching Teen Titans on TV while I chill & mess around with Agricola on the iPad. He keeps asking about what's going on in the game, observing my resources fluctuating, commenting on the seasons changing & me adding on to my farm. The boy loves farms. After the show's over & it's time to start chillaxing before heading up for bed, he asks if he can play it tomorrow on the iPad while I'm at work (duh, good luck, school!). Of course I have to take him into my office & show him the real game. Of course I end up with both kids asking to try it out on the weekend.

I'll have to simplify it a fair bit - my son's reading is rough - but it'll be doable. They're used to working towards completing "something" & sometimes playing games without a score (that's how I got them playing Carcassonne), and they're familiar with separate boards from Zooloretto so I should be able to whip some simple rules without the minor/major cards. He was so damn /excited/ to see the farm boards & cubes with lil' googly eyes for the animal resources (thanks, previous owner!).

EYEL1NER

Machi Koro delayed a few weeks. Nooooooooo!
Well that sucks. I have that and King of New York holding up a CSI order. I get back home to the states in two weeks for vacation and then leave again mid-Oct. I'm thinking I might just cancel both of those items so I can guarantee I get the rest of the order in time to bring it back with me. I'm sure some coworkers wouldn't mind filling up the rest of my order with MtG cards for free shipping.

I asked for impressions of The Agents and while I still want it, I will hold off for now. I nabbed Revolver and all five expansions last night on BGG and am pleased with that purchase for now, even if a secret agent theme does happen to be cooler than a western.

I also finalized a transaction for Okko along with the Kerasu expansion. Really pumped for that one, because that ninja theme looks too cool. I haven't played Dungeon Twister at all but I like that style of modular board and it seems like the it works well with Okko's shadows and lanterns, looking like an old Tenchu game. As shitty as the minis are supposed to be, I am thinking about buying some of them for attempted assembly and painting. I saw a cool blog with Zombicide zombies painted in monochrome and other colors and want to replicate it, so maybe I will start painting some Okko minis to practice painting. If I can get the minis assembled, that is.

Ohnonono

Man my FLGS owner seems to be really burning out. I don' think the store is going to close or anything because he is making money, but if you ask him to pre-order anything for you (I had stuff from Gen-Con I wanted and wasn't there) he basically is just like "I don't fucking know when anything is coming out." At one point I asked him about Run Fight or Die and he said that I would have to buy it direct from the company because it wont be released retail (this does not actually seem to be the case.) He also said anything that is a big expensive box from gencon (Shadows of Brimstone type stuff) he isn't even going to carry because the loss is too much when no one buys it.

Seems super crazy to me but its just making me get shit online. He seems to be getting real pissed about kickstarter basically taking every game and making it a 90$ affair that a lot of interested people own already. I don't like to take stuff up there that I don't buy from him that I now he can get but at this point CSI seems like my only hope for actually getting this shit. Seems like if a game is more than 50 or 60$ or is a kickstarter game he just gets annoyed by it. I think he makes enough off magic and miniature games to keep it all running but as a board game guy it makes it ROUGH.

EYEL1NER

he basically is just like "I don't fucking know when anything is coming out."
I don't know, I am still kind of a board game noob, but it seems to me like that might be a common thing in the industry. It was certainly what I saw when asking about games in stores when I was in SC and MO in the spring. Seems like there aren't firm dates for amything on any OLGS sites. And devs/producers on BGG are kind of like "Eh, whenever it gets put on the boat I guess."

I do get that everything is getting made in China and then comes over by slow-ass boats and there can be production delays that people stateside don't find out about for a while and all that. I fully understand why things are how they are. It was still kind of jarring though, coming from the video game world where everything has a street date and people find out when games go gold and reach stores.

Man my FLGS owner seems to be really burning out. I don' think the store is going to close or anything because he is making money, but if you ask him to pre-order anything for you (I had stuff from Gen-Con I wanted and wasn't there) he basically is just like "I don't fucking know when anything is coming out." At one point I asked him about Run Fight or Die and he said that I would have to buy it direct from the company because it wont be released retail (this does not actually seem to be the case.) He also said anything that is a big expensive box from gencon (Shadows of Brimstone type stuff) he isn't even going to carry because the loss is too much when no one buys it.

Seems super crazy to me but its just making me get shit online. He seems to be getting real pissed about kickstarter basically taking every game and making it a 90$ affair that a lot of interested people own already. I don't like to take stuff up there that I don't buy from him that I now he can get but at this point CSI seems like my only hope for actually getting this shit. Seems like if a game is more than 50 or 60$ or is a kickstarter game he just gets annoyed by it. I think he makes enough off magic and miniature games to keep it all running but as a board game guy it makes it ROUGH.

Known other local store owners who essentially feel same way. Kickstarters are all the rage and it's a big risk for them to buy these big expensive games, especially if they flop. Like Sedition Wars was a huge flop, few months after the KS was delivered stores everywhere online where putting it on clearance, but you got all these retailers who paid more than the clearance prices to just stock the stupid game. Kickstarters are also giving first dibs to backers and all kinds of exclusive content, again screwing over retailers.

Lot of local retailers want to focus on smaller games and stuff that actually has players coming in to the stores to play, like CCG's. Board games are just an extra product that you have to put on the shelfs if you got space for and might make a little extra on.

CSI has multiple locations and keep expanding, but you know, they have garbage for inventory at all of them except their main store/warehouse. All their locations are essentially CCG game stations, and if you want board game product, you have to special order it from their warehouse in Orlando.

As for saying a game might not be released at retail, it could just mean it's not going to be made available through his normal distributor channels, and require going through direct or specific distributor they don't use. Lot of stores don't like to use multiple distributors since they have order minimums to make and discounts are based off size of orders. With all in one distros, store can put their big order for everything from one source and save money, having to go through multiple distros reduces sizes of their orders and amount of discounts they get on the products.

Karkador

Banned
CSI has multiple locations and keep expanding, but you know, they have garbage for inventory at all of them except their main store/warehouse. All their locations are essentially CCG game stations, and if you want board game product, you have to special order it from their warehouse in Orlando.

The CSI store in Hollywood, FL *is* largely a CCG venue, but they do have a fairly good selection of games to buy, too.

The CSI store in Hollywood, FL *is* largely a CCG venue, but they do have a fairly good selection of games to buy, too.

They carry some common hits or new releases, but not much at all whenever I go there. Comic book store on University nearby has like 6 times the inventory and other game stores in the area have far more board game inventory than CSI's store. They can't compare in price of course. I don't even bother looking for games at the CSI Hollywood store, I just do store pickup as the pickings are so slim. It's funny how their is usually more stock behind the counter reserved for pickup, than actually on shelves for sale.

Known other local store owners who essentially feel same way. Kickstarters are all the rage and it's a big risk for them to buy these big expensive games, especially if they flop. Like Sedition Wars was a huge flop, few months after the KS was delivered stores everywhere online where putting it on clearance, but you got all these retailers who paid more than the clearance prices to just stock the stupid game. Kickstarters are also giving first dibs to backers and all kinds of exclusive content, again screwing over retailers.

Lot of local retailers want to focus on smaller games and stuff that actually has players coming in to the stores to play, like CCG's. Board games are just an extra product that you have to put on the shelfs if you got space for and might make a little extra on.

As for saying a game might not be released at retail, it could just mean it's not going to be made available through his normal distributor channels, and require going through direct or specific distributor they don't use. Lot of stores don't like to use multiple distributors since they have order minimums to make and discounts are based off size of orders. With all in one distros, store can put their big order for everything from one source and save money, having to go through multiple distros reduces sizes of their orders and amount of discounts they get on the products.

You are hitting the nail on the head, as a former business owner it's only make sense to stock only what going to keep customer coming back and buy more products like CCG (mostly Magic). My local gaming shops, their breads and butters are Magic and YuGiOH! (I am shock people still playing this game, it's been a long time since I am out of CCG gaming). I don't know how they feel about Fantasy Flight Living Card Game style, I am sure stores would much rather prefer blind booster pack.

On that note, any of you guys order or pre-order from Miniature Market? How is their service, mostly do they ship products out quickly? Thanks you.

I hope there is not much left over from GenCon at PAX because I am already breaking my budget this month on gaming.

Draxal

You are hitting the nail on the head, as a former business owner it's only make sense to stock only what going to keep customer coming back and buy more products like CCG (mostly Magic). My local gaming shops, their breads and butters are Magic and YuGiOH! (I am shock people still playing this game, it's been a long time since I am out of CCG gaming). I don't know how they feel about Fantasy Flight Living Card Game style, I am sure stores would much rather prefer blind booster pack.

On that note, any of you guys order or pre-order from Miniature Market? How is their service, mostly do they ship products out quickly? Thanks you.

I hope there is not much left over from GenCon at PAX because I am already breaking my budget this month on gaming.

LGS magic/pokemon/vanguard/yugioh are their bread and butter. They do stock all the living card games and I honestly think they prefer than any of those non four above.

CCGs are a much riskier venture for them compared to the living card game format.

The big thing that I've noticed in the other lgs, is how they phased out of Warhammer completely.

XShagrath

I can understand retailers' frustration with Kickstarter as well. It eats into their guaranteed pre-orders on stuff.

I personally won't back any Kickstarters because I feel most companies are using it strictly as a pre-order campaign. In my mind, there's absolutely no reason a large boardgame company like Queen Games or Tasty Minstrel should be doing a game via Kickstarter. They should have the capital to go ahead and fund those games themselves. If it's from an established designer, there's absolutely no reason they won't make their money back.

I've got enough games kicking around that I don't need to get something right away and can wait the few months for something to show up at CSI and I can pick it up for 30% (or more) less than what the KS backers paid for it.

LGS magic/pokemon/vanguard/yugioh are their bread and butter. They do stock all the living card games and I honestly think they prefer than any of those non four above.

CCGs are a much riskier venture for them compared to the living card game format.

The big thing that I've noticed in the other lgs, is how they phased out of Warhammer completely.

Most stores phased out warhammer because you have to buy direct from Gamesworkshop, and they don't let you just buy inventory you want, you have to buy a whole store set up package that they choose for you and it's thousands in investment just for the smallest set up. Then once you are established you can order products but all following their strict rules and the savings is not much unless you buy massive quantities. Most small retailers ain't putting up with their shit anymore.

Machi Koro delayed a few weeks. Nooooooooo!

I never heard of Machi Koro before but you got me interested so I check them on on Watch It Played and it look like something my daughter and my wife would enjoy. They sometimes get burn out on super-heroes and battle game my son and I enjoyed. I am a bit annoy that the "board" is sold separately, I think games should at least basic playing board if they have a lot of cards set up like this game. They can sell playmat as addition but should at least include a basic board.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I never heard of Machi Koro before but you got me interested so I check them on on Watch It Played and it look like something my daughter and my wife would enjoy. They sometimes get burn out on super-heroes and battle game my son and I enjoyed. I am a bit annoy that the "board" is sold separately, I think games should at least basic playing board if they have a lot of cards set up like this game. They can sell playmat as addition but should at least include a basic board.

The game would have to increase in price by at least 15 dollars for that to be economical and the box would probably need to move up to a full size game box for this game given the number of cards that need to be layed out.

The mat is a promo made by a distributor and not by the original designer or publisher.

The game would have to increase in price by at least 15 dollars for that to be economical and the box would probably need to move up to a full size game box for this game given the number of cards that need to be layed out.

The mat is a promo made by a distributor and not by the original designer or publisher.

I can understand trying to keep the price down. It is good incentive for people to buy game at lower price point but I can't help but feel playing board would add a lot of value to the box. Anyway, game looks fun and something may be my wife and daughter will play, I could never get them to play 7 Wonders so here hoping this game will gel with them as I really enjoy construction game.

EYEL1NER

I hadn't heard anything about the mat yet and had missed all news concerning it. After reading up on the situation now and seeing how cool it looks, I am already dreading trying to get one for a reasonable price on eBay...

Neverfade

A board/mat for MK is a waste of money. Why clutter up simplicity you monsters?

Also, Astro, check your mailbox in Diablo, I got one of those packages that drop for people on your friends list addressed to you.

Top Bottom