• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Awesome thank you I will definitely look into these.
I'll throw in my 2 cents regarding Citadels. I've got it and enjoy the game, but I feel it can drag on too long and have too much downtime between turns with that many players.

Dixit and The Resistance (I've got Avalon myself) tend to keep players engaged quite a bit more.

Bought this at Savers for $6. The box was beat up but the components inside turned out to be unused when I got home and opened the box! I guess it's called Ikusa now.
Cool find. While Ikusa is newer with marginally better components, this version is kind of prized for the swords alone.

I'll throw in my 2 cents regarding Citadels. I've got it and enjoy the game, but I feel it can drag on too long and have too much downtime between turns with that many players.
Agreed. Citadels is absolutely terrible with too many players. I had a game last well into the 2 hour mark with the full compliment players. Citadels shouldn't be played for that long, it's so boring.

joelseph

Board Gaming GAF I need some help! I've been looking for a game that fills a a little more difficult requirement than I expected. I've been looking for a board or card game that will play 6 - 8 players in the beginner to experienced range. So far everyone in the group has been pretty outgoing to try what ever I can find. So genre and setting shouldn't be a big factor, I just haven't been able to find a ton of games (apart from some mainstream ones) that will accommodate 6 - 8 players at the given skill level. I really appreciate any help / advice you can give!

Easy to teach gambling game.

EYEL1NER

Cool find. While Ikusa is newer with marginally better components, this version is kind of prized for the swords alone.
Yep. I love my copy of Ikusa and all, but long before I bought it I knew I would have to buy a copy of Shogun or Samurai Sword at some point to get those swords. I mean, they through those awesome planning trays and reference sheets in (at least I am pretty sure that setup was new to Ikusa) but remove the sweet-ass swords?t

Apenheul

Played my first megagame last weekend: Operation Market Garden. I was in the position of logistics officer for XXX Corps. It was a very daunting task to do the planning for the supplies with so many unknown variables and extensive use of jargon. But that, of course, was part of the game. On the day itself; nothing but stress, anxiety, surprise, frustration, and a general feeling of slowly gaining control over what happens. It was way different from Watch the Skies that was featured by ShutUpAndSitDown; much more complex in terms of variables and attributes, less open-ended and more structured but not really like a tabletop wargame. The game ended abruptly, I wasn't sure why if who'd won at the time but I felt like we won. It was an incredible experience and a quick lesson in adhoc teamwork. Bravo Jim Wallman!

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Citadels is absolutely terrible with too many players. I had a game last well into the 2 hour mark with the full compliment players. Citadels shouldn't be played for that long, it's so boring.

I know they're not exactly the same, but since they're both kinda role-deduction games, I can't help but think Love Letter has displaced it in my library. Citadels can hold more, but shouldn't. Citadels also has city building, but again, in terms of role-deduction/casual, I've had a hard time pulling Citadels back out

I know they're not exactly the same, but since they're both kinda role-deduction games, I can't help but think Love Letter has displaced it in my library. Citadels can hold more, but shouldn't. Citadels also has city building, but again, in terms of role-deduction/casual, I've had a hard time pulling Citadels back out
Oh, I got rid of Citadels after that long game. It made me realize, that it really isn't that great a game and I'd rather be doing literally anything else with my time. Love Letter is a good replacement because it takes the best part of Citadels (the role guessing) and gets rid of the city building. Plus it's fast.

Apenheul said:
Played my first megagame last weekend: Operation Market Garden. I was in the position of logistics officer for XXX Corps. It was a very daunting task to do the planning for the supplies with so many unknown variables and extensive use of jargon. But that, of course, was part of the game. On the day itself; nothing but stress, anxiety, surprise, frustration, and a general feeling of slowly gaining control over what happens. It was way different from Watch the Skies that was featured by ShutUpAndSitDown; much more complex in terms of variables and attributes, less open-ended and more structured but not really like a tabletop wargame. The game ended abruptly, I wasn't sure why if who'd won at the time but I felt like we won. It was an incredible experience and a quick lesson in adhoc teamwork. Bravo Jim Wallman!
Man, I really wish they did this in the states. This sounds like something I'd really get in to.

ultron87

That sounds really cool. I'm very jealous none of such things are happening near me. They run a few big political simulations at Gen Con every year using the NDSM system which sound like Mega Games, so I might try and get in on one of those next year.

Board Gaming GAF I need some help! I've been looking for a game that fills a a little more difficult requirement than I expected. I've been looking for a board or card game that will play 6 - 8 players in the beginner to experienced range. So far everyone in the group has been pretty outgoing to try what ever I can find. So genre and setting shouldn't be a big factor, I just haven't been able to find a ton of games (apart from some mainstream ones) that will accommodate 6 - 8 players at the given skill level. I really appreciate any help / advice you can give!

7 Wonders is great, and seats up to 7. Drafting based city buildy game.

The Resistance should work great at those numbers. Deductive traitor social game.

Dixit goes up to 6 I think, and is a nice little social/arty/low-intensity game.

With 8, I've also had a lot of luck with little tournaments of shorter 4 player games. I did this with Dominion quite a few times (separate 4 player games then move players around and start anew).

I like Citadels a lot, especially with 3-5. /hansmoleman

*First Bump*

Karkador

Banned
So what's generally considered to be the modern version of Clue? I've got Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, but I'm not sure if that would satisfy players who "love Clue". Maybe if I dress it up with tokens and stuff to represent people/places/things on the map?

So what's generally considered to be the modern version of Clue? I've got Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, but I'm not sure if that would satisfy players who "love Clue". Maybe if I dress it up with tokens and stuff to represent people/places/things on the map?

Mystery Express? Haven't played it but seems pretty similar.

Mystery Express? Haven't played it but seems pretty similar.
Yeah, Mystery Express is like hard Clue. Instead of one of each type of card, there are two. You have to make sure you see both cards in a round before ruling it out. It takes out the roll and move as well and gives people so many actions a round instead.

I personally like it, and recommend it as a Clue alternative.

Another game supposedly similar to Clue (I've never played it though) is Mystery of the Abbey. People seem to like that one quite a bit. The downside I've heard is that the game can be ruined if someone messes up. With Mystery Express you really can't ruin the game in that way, so I guess it might be better for new players.

daevv

Had a very last minute bachelor party at my house Sunday night. We are all gamers in our 30's. After a Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 tournament we played some 8 Player Resistance. For those who didn't play it before we described it to them as a card game where you are randomly good or bad, then sit around calling each other fuckers till one side wins lol. Since everyone playing has known each other for 20+ years it was great!

We also played another 5 player drafting card game called Greed. It was cool but not enough attacking or screwing over of other player cards to mount any comebacks.

I also picked up Trivial Pursuit Party (in a clearance bin for $6, reg $20) and it was great! We are all trivia buffs and this version plays very quick. Need only 6 right answers no matter the color, can ask a friend and both get a piece if right. It also has a buzz in type of space where once the question is read the first person to say "got it" gets to answer if the player who lands there gets it wrong. If the Got it person gets it wrong they loss a piece though. Takes 20-30 mins.

hat_hair

I'm a fan of Inkognito.
It has a similar gameplay concept of revealing cards to other players in response to questions, but you also have to work out which other player is on your team while concealing information from the players who are not on your team.

So what's everyone take on Greed and Five Tribes? They look ok, but that theme is absolutely not tastefully done.

For those that don't know, in FT you use slaves as a commodity. There are also assassins and evil genies, but the presentations of those is pretty mild. Greed is the new Donal X Vaccarino game that has you hiring, thugs, selling drugs and pimping prostitutes.

I'm not against theme, but those games are almost family level simple and it just feels unnecessary.

Five Tribes is all the rage and everyone's screaming about it everywhere. I just don't see the point. Then again I don't find Camel Up even slightly interesting and apparently it is the pinnacle of boardgame design. So I guess my tastes do not mesh with the general public these days.

EYEL1NER

What are people's thoughts on Descent 1E vs 2E? I'm not really looking for a 'buy' recommendation right now, just wondering which side people fall on. I've read a lot of reviews that just come off as humorous, like if Descent is Dark Souls, the second edition would be some kind of Angry Birds-esque game for filthy casuals.

I have been wanting to get 2E for a while but I keep looking at Sea of Blood, which is not compatible with 2E, and thinking it looks awesome. Ideally I will own all of 1E and 2E at some point though.

fenners

So what's everyone take on Greed and Five Tribes? They look ok, but that theme is absolutely not tastefully done.

For those that don't know, in FT you use slaves as a commodity. There are also assassins and evil genies, but the presentations of those is pretty mild. Greed is the new Donal X Vaccarino game that has you hiring, thugs, selling drugs and pimping prostitutes.

I'm not against theme, but those games are almost family level simple and it just feels unnecessary.

First I've heard of Greed.

Numerous Euros involve trading slaves/natives etc, they just usually represent these forced workers as little brown discs/cubes etc. Hi Puerto Rico! I think the fuss over Five Tribes is a little overblown, but hey, I understand if it's enough to make people not want to play it.

What are people's thoughts on Descent 1E vs 2E? I'm not really looking for a 'buy' recommendation right now, just wondering which side people fall on. I've read a lot of reviews that just come off as humorous, like if Descent is Dark Souls, the second edition would be some kind of Angry Birds-esque game for filthy casuals.

I have been wanting to get 2E for a while but I keep looking at Sea of Blood, which is not compatible with 2E, and thinking it looks awesome. Ideally I will own all of 1E and 2E at some point though.

I think 1E is better, and was a more meaty game experience. The campaign system was also very robust and was very RPG-esque.

2E was really really streamlined, smaller scale everything to make the game quick to play, with a built in scenario like campaign system that wasn't as complex as 1E. The Overlord player was greatly changed and simplified to make it feel like another player with very limited choices to make, while in 1E the Overlord player had alot more options and was more like a DnD DM. 1E Descent was closest to DnD lite you were gonna get, and had tons of content released for it.

2E has been having alot added to it via it's expansions which seem to go against the idea of the quicker playing streamlined game. Essentially adding in stuff from 1E and making them optional expansion rules with each expansion set.

A decent sized dungeon run in 1E could take a few hours, while in 2E you can run through a scenario in less than 45min.

Chorazin

My first BGG trade worked out awesome, Got sealed copies of Tzokl'in and Tokaido: Crossroads for my copy of Kanzume Goddess. I'm really stoked to play Tzokl'in, it looks fantastic!

Five Tribes is based on the Tales of the Arabian Nights. Slaves were a huge part of those tales. Doesn't bother me at all.

As for Greed, so what? Unless they're hiding the content, what's wrong with a "family level simple" game for adults? Sometimes you just need a filler game, and it doesn't have to be kiddie. The incredible success of Cards Against Humanity proves that pretty well.

EYEL1NER

Another question I wanted to ask: Is anyone thinking about throwing any money at Dragon Tides on KS, the Bruce Lee minis game? I initially didn't think much of it but have started considering it after seeing that there are characters based on Jet Li and Donnie Yen. I need to do some more research on who these designers are though and what they have done in the past. Not instantly recognizing their names has given me a bit of pause.

I'm gonna try not to wait too long to decide though. I have been waiting until the last day for some Kickstarters and it has been biting me in the ass. I forgot about the end time for N3on City Rumble while at work and logged on an hour late. Even more recently I fell asleep for a bit and missed Agents of Smersh by two hours. Gotta stop doing that...

fenners

Another question I wanted to ask: Is anyone thinking about throwing any money at Dragon Tides on KS, the Bruce Lee minis game? I initially didn't think much of it but have started considering it after seeing that there are characters based on Jet Li and Donnie Yen. I need to do some more research on who these designers are though and what they have done in the past. Not instantly recognizing their names has given me a bit of pause.

You really should give this thread a read & do some research.

The actual designers they've got linked (Kevin Nunn etc) are solid people with histories in the industry. The actual /company/ behind the kickstarter? Not so much.

EYEL1NER

You really should give this thread a read & do some research.

The actual designers they've got linked (Kevin Nunn etc) are solid people with histories in the industry. The actual /company/ behind the kickstarter? Not so much.
Well damn. That is all a bit off-putting. Yeah, I do have more research to do.
This Fairytales game is a game I have seen mentioned a lot in threads on the 'Geek where people are complaining about delayed projects or long waits, but I didn't draw the connection when first reading the KS page for their new game.

I'm definitely leaning towards not backing now. At least they contributed Bruce Lee to the BattleCon promos I guess, so I'll receive one of those.

joelseph

Freaking finally! Still love Dice Hate Me

WILA9ln.jpg

Karkador

Banned
Mystery Express looks like a good Clue update, but it's apparently out of print :c

Likewise, Mystery of the Abbey seems good, too, and is currently not out of print..

Neverfade

There's a single digit number of copies of Tragedy Looper available at CSI. I know jack shit about the game, only that its selling fast and its Z-Man. By the time I research it it'll probably be gone until late summer 2015. So I'm going to say this is a low risk venture when it turns out Z-Man probably pulled more of their tiny print run shenanigans.

There's a single digit number of copies of Tragedy Looper available at CSI. I know jack shit about the game, only that its selling fast and its Z-Man. By the time I research it it'll probably be gone until late summer 2015. So I'm going to say this is a low risk venture when it turns out Z-Man probably pulled more of their tiny print run shenanigans.

Ahrg, I spent too much money already but I know it's gonna be months until the next reprint.

20+ on CSI, 0 on MM.

While the product page says 20+, you can currently only add 8 to your cart, so it hasn't updated.

Also someone on BGG got an email from MM saying they were only allotted their preorders so lord knows if or when they'll get more.

Z-Man!

Maybe there's a limit on how many you can buy?

zulux21

Ahrg, I spent too much money already but I know it's gonna be months until the next reprint.

20+ on CSI, 0 on MM.

I'm quite happy with the $40 I spent on tragedy looper the $27 it is on coolstuff is a solid price (I don't even feel bad I paid $40 two weeks ago :p)

note: while I enjoy the game quite a bit, I haven't a clue if you will i am just trying to get you to buy a copy to increase the odds of expansions coming out :p

Neverfade

I always took that as someone else had it in their cart but hasn't checked out yet.

Definitely not the case as apparent by the fact that things can sell out with an item in your cart. Taking them off the stock count for carted items would make "in stock" items impossible for someone else to add to their cart.

Karkador

Banned
No clue. How is it supposed to work now? And what's the point of having a stock count anyway if it uh...doesn't count stock?

It's something I remember reading on BGG recently, but I forgot the details. Just something about how CSI noticed that people were doing the cart-adding trick on their site and did something to foil that trick.

I agree that a functional stock thing would be preferable to the nebulous "20+"

Palmer_v1

So I finally read up on Tragedy Looper and I'm kind of excited for it now. It sounds like Zero Escape/999. How accurate is that? Can someone who's played those games compare it to this?

I've already bought it on CSI anyway!

Karkador

Banned
So I finally read up on Tragedy Looper and I'm kind of excited for it now. It sounds like Zero Escape/999. How accurate is that? Can someone who's played those games compare it to this?

I've already bought it on CSI anyway!

That's what it reminded me of, too. Well, there are a handful of noteable videogames that use time travel in some kind of Adventure Game fashion, and Tragedy Lopper feels somewhere along that vein.

It resembles 999 in the way that you replay the game (learning the mistakes along the way) to get the "good ending", but one game of Tragedy Looper will encompass 3-5 of those replays (and it's not as long as a play through of 999). The interesting bit is the metagame, in that the Mastermind player is actively listening to your plans and reacting.

Sadly, the whole thing with the bracelets and splitting up the party based on the different ways people's #s add up to 9 is not something I've found in a board game yet. I think 999 would make a really cool board game. Perhaps Room 25 is the closest we've got to it (I'd really like to try that one).

Apenheul

Oh man, this weekend and next Thursday are going to be so awesome. This weekend we're planning to play:
-Archipelago
-Arkham Horror (+Dunwich + Innsmouth +Miskatonic)
-Civilization (+Wisdom and Warfare +Fame and Fortune)

And on Thursday for the first time in my life:
- Twilight Imperium 3

I'm considering buying Shattered Empires for my first game because I've read it fixes the base game, any opinions?

ParityBit

Bought this at Savers for $6. The box was beat up but the components inside turned out to be unused when I got home and opened the box! I guess it's called Ikusa now.

Hey I have that game from way back! Very well loved when I played it as a kid :)

Is Savers normally a good place to get used games?

Neverfade

I'm considering buying Shattered Empires for my first game because I've read it fixes the base game, any opinions?

You could make a quick proxy token for the #8 action replacement instead (that's the game fixer). I highly recommend at least doing that. Otherwise you're pretty much forced as the #2 player to take the action that lets you be the number 1 player next round so you can take #8 (which gives you a VP automatically). You let someone snatch that a couple times in the row and it's already over (assuming they're not complete boneheads).

Oh man, this weekend and next Thursday are going to be so awesome. This weekend we're planning to play:
-Archipelago
-Arkham Horror (+Dunwich + Innsmouth +Miskatonic)
-Civilization (+Wisdom and Warfare +Fame and Fortune)

And on Thursday for the first time in my life:
- Twilight Imperium 3

SE makes game better, but also makes it take longer to play hehe

Apenheul

Thanks guys, I guess I'll proxy the card and after my first game determine whether the expansion(s) are worth it. The game's going to be played over a couple of evenings since I play it after work with colleagues. Contrary to my expectations I found 6 people willing to play it in no time :)

Phthisis

Thanks guys, I guess I'll proxy the card and after my first game determine whether the expansion(s) are worth it. The game's going to be played over a couple of evenings since I play it after work with colleagues. Contrary to my expectations I found 6 people willing to play it in no time :)

The real trick is keeping them at the table until the game is done. I highly recommend you play with the accelerated early turn variant rules. It has made my TI experiences with new players vastly better by cutting out the slow plodding first few rounds.

Also, I am jealous of your weekend. That is a 4X-splosion of goodness.

Apenheul

The real trick is keeping them at the table until the game is done. I highly recommend you play with the accelerated early turn variant rules. It has made my TI experiences with new players vastly better by cutting out the slow plodding first few rounds.

Also, I am jealous of your weekend. That is a 4X-splosion of goodness.
Thanks, that sounds like a good suggestion. putting together the galaxy doesn't seem like the most interesting aspect of the game if you don't yet know how it influences everything. And yeah, I hardly get to play some of these longer types of games so I'm really looking forward to this weekend.

Top Bottom