• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Draxal

Could someone ELI5 the 'strategy' of Doomtown? Own it and read over the instructions and I don't grok anything. Feels like a FFG LCG, overly complex keywords and mechanics. (Not a bad thing, I just need a hand getting into it!)

Build your deck around making a specific poker hand and playing to your faction traits.

http://www.gomorragazette.com/category/strats/

Here's a site with some primer articles. In particular this one.

http://www.gomorragazette.com/editorial/an-overview-of-doomtown-reloadeds-four-base-decks/

So my son and I play a few games of Warmachine High Command (Faith & Fortune) and we really enjoy it. I check out review of the previous entry in the series and they seems to have pretty bad reception from gamers and I am not sure why. Perhaps the game become repetitious but I find battle aspect a nice twist in the deck building genre.

So my son and I play a few games of Warmachine High Command (Faith & Fortune) and we really enjoy it. I check out review of the previous entry in the series and they seems to have pretty bad reception from gamers and I am not sure why. Perhaps the game become repetitious but I find battle aspect a nice twist in the deck building genre.

What i've heard from several people who played it, is that after a while it does get repetitive as the deck builds for specific warcaster/warlocks end up always playing out the same

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played 5 games of Betrayal at House on the Hill this weekend. It was a big hit with the group I play at the store with. I wish there were more omen and event cards, though.

EYEL1NER

Played 5 games of Betrayal at House on the Hill this weekend. It was a big hit with the group I play at the store with. I wish there were more omen and event cards, though.
Lucky...
I get home to the country Friday and can finally check out all of my games I have been ordering for months. In that massive pile is Betrayal. And I only have...my wife to play it with. I don't think playing it with only two people will make for the best experience.

Lucky...
I get home to the country Friday and can finally check out all of my games I have been ordering for months. In that massive pile is Betrayal. And I only have...my wife to play it with. I don't think playing it with only two people will make for the best experience.

I think you could pretty easily play it with two people with each person playing two characters and when the traitor appears have the other player take over the third player character. There are a few scenarios where this probably wouldn't work, but otherwise I think it could be doable.

I played My Happy Farm this weekend, its a quick filler but it's super enjoyable. Who doesn't like a game about stretching animals.

Cute art, plays fast, little interaction but it's fun and kid friendly. Bonus points for having a small box, I kinda wish all games boxes were much smaller, A4 at most. Those damn Square boxes drive me nuts.

Xater

Hmm Black Fleet looks interesting to me. None of you guys has played that yet right? As far as I understand it has not been at any Con but i might be wrong.

Neverfade

kTpqNHO.jpg

Shipped! Longest 2 days ever start now.

Insane if true, but the sources look dubious at best. I'm glad I have a copy, even if it doesn't hit the table as often as I'd like.

I should also add, I wouldn't mind seeing a reprint of the expansions and campaign book.

joelseph

I take the stores word, it's a more well known store, just kinda weird how there is no info online.

I already own a 3rd edition copy. If this somehow does happen I will offload the second copy to a gaffer.

Called, guy working didn't know much.

Can't find any info online.

Went ahead and put my name on the reserve list.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/613787.page

Relevant discussion, including a video.

I think it will be a new release, without the custom Blood Angel miniatures. If you freeze frame the video, you see some psycher action going on, so perhaps a new chapter along with new rules/hybrids or something?

It's worth noting that this year will be the 25 year anniversary of the release of Space Hulk .

joelseph

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/613787.page

Relevant discussion, including a video.

I think it will be a new release, without the custom Blood Angel miniatures. If you freeze frame the video, you see some psycher action going on, so perhaps a new chapter along with new rules/hybrids or something?

It's worth noting that this year will be the 25 year anniversary of the release of Space Hulk .

From Cat and Mouse "this edition will have the same models and rules, but it will come with new missions and boards."

daevv

Got my copy of Fire in the Lake yesterday! Kinda torn as I want to setup the tutorial for that (my first COIN game) but also want to play thru the scenario of Doomtown with the pre-constructed decks. Perhaps I can take up all the tables in the house. ;)
I've realized that I've become more and more of a solo gamer as my group had a busy summer and didn't get many sessions in. Have a growing collection of war games that play solo and then my go to solo game LOTR LCG.

Tangeroo

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but has anyone had a chance to try Tragedy Looper yet? What are your impressions? The premise sounds pretty awesome but the cover artwork is a pretty major turn-off.

1607_2352.jpg

zulux21

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but has anyone had a chance to try Tragedy Looper yet? What are your impressions? The premise sounds pretty awesome but the cover artwork is a pretty major turn-off.

https://www.filofilo.com/imagedb/gallery/1607_2352.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

top of [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825268&page=42"]this page has quite a bit of info[/URL]

the anime theme doesn't play into anything more then the types of characters though as while there are scenerios the players don't get to know the story until after they are done with a game :P

Well, there's no doubt about it now. Space Hulk is getting a re-release with 4 new missions and a couple of new tile pieces. It will have the same miniatures as the 2009 release. I'm really happy that more people get a shot at owning this game. I don't mind at all that my sealed copy just dropped significantly in price. I've been playing with the idea of keeping it for a second set, and it looks like my mind was made up for me!

Terminator squads on deck for painting:

Space Hulk Blood Angels x10

Dark Vengeance Dark Angels x5

Ultra Marines x5

Space Wolves x 5

Grey Knights x 5

I also have a few random heroes in Terminator armor (Captain, Chaplin, Librarian) that I'll probably put in with the Blood Angels as well.

Super happy about the SH reprint.

I know it's not feasible to keep a game in the market forever, so it's good to have these reprints every few years. I just wish companies were more open about their intentions. DoW says that TTR HoA is out of print, so I bought a really overpriced copy on ebay a week ago and now some stores are receiving some stock.

Also, fuck speculators.

I'm looking for a spooky-themed game for five people. We already own some versions of Werewolf, as well as Mansions of Madness.

Something strategic, ideally. And something party-ish would be good.

zulux21

I'm looking for a spooky-themed game for five people. We already own some versions of Werewolf, as well as Mansions of Madness.

>.>
ghost stories with the black moon expansion >.>

ghost stories is a 4 player co op game where you are trying to exorcise ghosts and demons from the town (you need lots of strategy on any setting that isn't the easiest and since it's co op i consider it partyish :p)

the black moon expansion allows someone to take control as the mastermind of the monsters as well as giving the players some new weapons..... though since ghost stories likes to make people cry I tend to just play with the black moon expansion by committee (aka the players decide what the best move for the mastermind would be and then try to counter it) if you decide you have someone be the mastermind make sure they are someone you either really like and wouldn't hate if they are jerks... or someone that you hate already so if you hate them more it isn't a big deal :p (if you do go with ghost stories I can fill you in on my house rules that increase your odds on easy to around a 50/50 win percent with a new group)

beyond that Betrayal at House on the Hill is spooky themed and the end game it can require strategy. it's more partyish though as it's more just a fun little romp until the end game.

Mista Koo

So this is my first post in this thread. Great job on the OP btw (although it has too many train games and too few game names).
The reason I haven't posted all this time is because my gaming group is a school thing and I've been back home for the entire summer. I've had one or two proper game nights during the entire summer and many efforts (both successful and not) of introducing my family to board games, but that's a (long) topic for another day :p

During the past three weeks I've played:
  • Avalon: We played a hell lot of Avalon, we barely played anything else that night. It was with a new group of people and I was almost always a good guy so it was a different experience than usual (I really don't like being a good guy). The addition of Mordred and Oberon made the game refreshing though (I never made them for my vanilla Resistance).
  • Cosmic Encounter: This was my first time playing this kind of game and I wasn't so sure of the rules. I was the last player in turn. I made a deal with the first player and ended up trading two planets of mine with two of his. By the time it reached my turn everyone forgot I was already at 4 points and ended up winning the game in the most anti-climatic way possible xD
  • Sushi Go: I've bought this game after watching it played on BGGTV. Very cool set collection 7 Wonders-style drafting game. Also the artwork is super adorable.
  • X-Wing: So this is the poster boy of not my kind of game: I'm not into Sci Fi, only watched 2 Star Wars movies, and not into war games. But it was the only game on the table at the time. We played 3 vs 3 with one player playing each ship. After one of our ships was defeated me and my other teammate fled :p It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, probably wouldn't mind playing it again.
  • Dominant Species: This has to be one of the most intimidating games I've played so far. You have like 12 actions you can choose from, and by the end of the game I'm still asking what some of them did. Also it takes pretty much double the time I would've liked it to. The interesting thing about it is how you can always make a comeback. After the first two or three rounds I felt like giving up, but then I got a card that pushes me forward and pulls everyone else backwards. And at the end of the game even though I was in 4th place (out of 5), I ended up jumping to 2nd place with one point away from the winner! (I had 3 ocean/sea tiles and 2 jungles at the end of the game). I would definitely play it again, although the shorter version.
I've also recently bought Coup but only played it with 3 players so far and it felt like the wrong number of players.
I really need to stop buying all these filler games. I only have Alien Frontiers and Ticket to Ride: Europe in the category of games that take more than 30 mins (or games in a big box). My collection is definitely lacking in that area, although I don't mind it much as long as I'm with my gaming group as their games easily fill the gap.

Fearsome Floors? It's a light family/party-ish game.

Fearsome Floors is an awesome recommendation.

So Eclipse is on sale for $40 on MM today. I don't know if I'll ever play it but for $40 I'm gonna take a risk.

Neverfade

Well it took him like a dozen titles and 4 (more?) iterations of the same game, but I finally found a Trewiczek I enjoy.

Imperial Settlers = thumbs up.

Madrin

I'm going on vacation with my family later this month and was wondering if I could get some recommendations for board/card games. I'm looking for something that's easy enough for an average person to play, requires strategy, and inspires in-game discussion.

I like Risk, for example, because there's a lot of persuasion and conspiring that goes on between us. The biggest downside is that there's too much luck involved and we've played the game a hundred times now. I also really enjoy Mafia for the interactions it creates between players, even though that's not technically a board game. Any recommendations?

JesseZao

I'm going on vacation with my family later this month and was wondering if I could get some recommendations for board/card games. I'm looking for something that's easy enough for an average person to play, requires strategy, and inspires in-game discussion.

I like Risk, for example, because there's a lot of persuasion and conspiring that goes on between us. The biggest downside is that there's too much luck involved and we've played the game a hundred times now. I also really enjoy Mafia for the interactions it creates between players, even though that's not technically a board game. Any recommendations?

Avalon/Ultimate Werewolf for discussion/interaction short game (15min or so)
Citadels for a bit more strategy but still a quick game (45min usually)
Battlestar Galactica for that, but longer (2hrs usually)

Mista Koo

Small World is a good Risk-like game without the dice*. It takes ~80 mins.

I was definitely going to suggest this. Board Game of Thrones is also like risk but with card play instead of dice rolling. Each house has their own deck with special abilities. I highly recommend it.

Spartacus is another fun game with a lot of interaction but depending on how old your kids are there is some mature content. It's all language, though. One of the cards is called "Jupiter's cock." Look for videos by dice tower on these games to get a sense for them.

Karkador

Banned
I can appreciate the simplicity and accessibility of Machi Koro, and it's a nice "play around with randomness, not play in spite of it" type of game.

However, if you're looking for a card game along those same lines, but with more meat, and specifically for 2, I just recently discovered The Rivals for Catan. It's got dice rolling for resources and stuff, but also more complex combo-building, and more of a spacial element, as well as differently themed decks to play in different ways, right in the box.

We played some 6 player games of Survive! with squid+dolphin+dive dice. It was utter carnage. This game is amazing and never gets old. What was interesting was the cut throat rivalries that sprung up during these particular games. It was amazing to see. We played 2 games yesterday and 2 today. I won 2 of them. During the last game, a dolphin guided my winning meeple from shore to island while he was surrounded on all sides by all manner of creature waiting to kill him. I played my creature dice roles in a defensive way, trying to keep everything at arms length! I think the key to winning is to get your meeples to the shore ASAP before the seas are boiling over with all manner of monsters. Before the squid expansion, it was pretty viable to tag along on someone else's boat for a ride but the squid were picking off tag along riders left and right!

The game is perfect with all the expansions. It's an utter shame they make you buy everything separate when it could easily be included in the main boxed game. That's my only complaint about the game.

Madrin

Avalon/Ultimate Werewolf for discussion/interaction short game (15min or so)
Citadels for a bit more strategy but still a quick game (45min usually)
Battlestar Galactica for that, but longer (2hrs usually)

I was definitely going to suggest this. Board Game of Thrones is also like risk but with card play instead of dice rolling. Each house has their own deck with special abilities. I highly recommend it.

Spartacus is another fun game with a lot of interaction but depending on how old your kids are there is some mature content. It's all language, though. One of the cards is called "Jupiter's cock." Look for videos by dice tower on these games to get a sense for them.

Thanks for the recommendations! I know someone who owns Small World so I'll check that out. All the other games sound really fun but I think Citadels might be the sweet spot in terms of length and complexity. I also came across the game Dominion and I'm considering that as well.

Top Bottom