• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I have seen this, seems more common in countries were boardgames are more expensive.

Is specially bad for games that are only a couple of cards and dice, like Machi Koro.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I can see how cardgames could get printed. Something like love letters is VERY easy to replicate (but it's also super cheap so w/e)

Rubius

Well Piracy is pretty common for card games like Magic the Gathering where the price of entry is really high. But most board games are fine. Most. Splendor for example is a bunch of Poker chips and a deck of cards in a box 5 times the required size. For 40$ I could see why people would want to not pay that price for the components inside.

Well Piracy is pretty common for card games like Magic the Gathering where the price of entry is really high. But most board games are fine. Most. Splendor for example is a bunch of Poker chips and a deck of cards in a box 5 times the required size. For 40$ I could see why people would want to not pay that price for the components inside.

"Pirated" games are not cheap either, just seach aliexpress. It's just that games a REALLY expensive in other places. I'm leaving the US and taking like 80 games with me, saving for the future.

Rubius

Damn, Dead of Winter will be 80$ in french if I trust the websites I see. I really dont know if I want to pay a 30$ premium for an easier time to play with my friends.

EYEL1NER

I guess StoOge is referring to stuff like PnP of card games using ArtsCow or CowCow? I wouldn't ever be able to get into anything like that because I HAVE to have authentic original components and pieces (among other reasons too, like the ethics behind it). The copy of Manila I bought on BGG is missing two yellow cards and I already have almost a feeling of ants crawling under my skin about having to get either the cards or a whole replacement deck printed up, since they won't be the originals. I personally don't have too much of a problem with rethemes so long as someone bought the game already.

In positive board game news for me, an update on the Yomi Kickstarter from today says that copies are going out at the end of the month and should all be delivered by the first or second week of December. So: YAY!!!

In negative board game news for me, the Dragon Tides KS hit the stretch goals during the campaign for henchmen minis rather than tokens. Then it hit the stretch goal for three different sculpts of the 21 henchmen minis. They opened up voting two days ago for what the henchmen types should be and released results today. In a Bruce and Brandon Lee game that is a tribute to HK martial arts cinema, the powerful criminal empire the Tiger Organization will have henchmen comprised of: Yakuza thugs (rather than Triads), karate masters in gis, and elite henchmen comprised of... female ninjas. I tried to sway people away from ninjas in favor of something that would go better with the theme but "Ninjaz r teh coolest, bro!!!" Has me pretty bummed out :(

In negative board game news for me, the Dragon Tides KS hit the stretch goals during the campaign for henchmen minis rather than tokens. Then it hit the stretch goal for three different sculpts of the 21 henchmen minis. They opened up voting two days ago for what the henchmen types should be and released results today. In a Bruce and Brandon Lee game that is a tribute to HK martial arts cinema, the powerful criminal empire the Tiger Organization will have henchmen comprised of: Yakuza thugs (rather than Triads), karate masters in gis, and elite henchmen comprised of... female ninjas. I tried to sway people away from ninjas in favor of something that would go better with the theme but "Ninjaz r teh coolest, bro!!!" Has me pretty bummed out :(

Just cancel your pledge. That sucks.

Mista Koo

I've done it once for a game to try it before buying it, and another which is OOP.

Although I feel like doing this for text heavy games that I wouldn't play in available languages anyway.

EYEL1NER

Just cancel your pledge. That sucks.
Well I still want the game (and the project has been finished for a week or two already). I'm just super-disappointed that an amazing concept and theme was made and then apparently a unanimous amount of backers say "Fuck the theme, we want ninjas in this game." So lame.....
I'm pretty sure I'll just buy a second pack of 21 henchmen and then proxy more of the MA masters and thugs in place of 7 ninjas, maybe getting them painted (or trying my hand at painting them) different 'darker' colors than the rest to signify that they are elites.

Well I still want the game (and the project has been finished for a week or two already). I'm just super-disappointed that an amazing concept and theme was made and then apparently a unanimous amount of backers say "Fuck the theme, we want ninjas in this game." So lame.....
I'm pretty sure I'll just buy a second pack of 21 henchmen and then proxy more of the MA masters and thugs in place of 7 ninjas, maybe getting them painted (or trying my hand at painting them) different 'darker' colors than the rest to signify that they are elites.

All kickstarters are ruined by unnecessary miniatures and the fools who are rabid for them.

EYEL1NER

All kickstarters are ruined by unnecessary miniatures and the fools who are rabid for them.
Luckily AJG wasn't listening to a bunch of the people in the comments. There was a couple people going on about "PLEASE move up the stretch goal minis from every $5k to every $2.5k. We NEED to unlock more to gain more interest! More stretch goals and you will get more backers! Give us more!!!" Like this was a project on the scale of Zombicide or something. A couple people came in and tried to be the voice of reason, explaining how we weren't gaining many backers when we were unlocking stuff already and more stretch goals sooner would only be purchased by the same people but it didn't matter. These dudes were straight begging and pleading for "more more more."

Then when the campaign ends at around $102k, these people are begging for them to go ahead and unlock the $105k cards that would give each move/attack distinct art. And then they go on about how disappointed they are after the rep says he see if it can be done and then says it isn't feasible now and that they will make them and give them away for free during a KS for the second KS.

This is a company who has two undelivered KS projects already and swore up and down that this one would be different, that they had learned from their mistakes with the others, had a different team on this one, and had a strict contract with the Bruce Lee, LLC. that would force them to keep to their schedules. These dudes whining for more didn't give a damn if what they were asking for could cause AJG any budget or timeline problems. The game is already set for September, which is the furthest out of a project that I have backed. I would rather see it next September than February 2017 or something.

It seems that a lot of those massive Kickstarters have spoiled a lot of people...

Experien

Just got Good Cop Bad Cop, Sheriff of Nottingham, and Nanuk in the mail...my game collection feels complete.

And played two rounds of King of NY tonight and that is just mayhem. I think I am one of the many that prefers if over KoT...but do I prefer it enough to ditch it & expansions & Broken Token insert?!

Chorazin

Just got Good Cop Bad Cop, Sheriff of Nottingham, and Nanuk in the mail...my game collection feels complete.

And played two rounds of King of NY tonight and that is just mayhem. I think I am one of the many that prefers if over KoT...but do I prefer it enough to ditch it & expansions & Broken Token insert?!

Don't you have room for both? Ones a entry game, the other is a bit meatier. IMO they serve different purposes.

Palmer_v1

I've played one game of Sheriff so far, and enjoyed it. Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts. I can definitely say that I like the art style, and the inserts in the box work great. It has nice trays to use for the different coin denominations, as well as a tray to hold the draw and discard stacks as you play. I'll post more after I get some more games in this weekend.

I want to hear more about King of NY! On the fence about it since the balance of the Tokyo one aggravates me sometimes.

Sheriff is awesome game, only negative to us is the snaps on the bags they provide. They are too strong and pulling the snaps apart can easily break the bags. Simply don't use the snaps.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Right.. but someone created that and paid for art, and paid for marketing and production and a million other things.

It's just a bit not fun seeing people playing copies of the game they made themselves in photos at a con when I know how much time and effort (and money) go into making these things.

I mean, there are a lot of things that would be "nice" to not pay full price for, but doing so hurts people who created the thing you covet enough to make for cheap.

I personally don't have too much of a problem with rethemes so long as someone bought the game already.

In theory I don't have an issue. The problem is I've found Facebook pages giving these things away (though, more troubling was the one that scanned the original artwork). DMRA take-downs are becoming a specialty.

If it makes you feel any better Stooge, they were not going to buy your game anyway. I know people say that for videogames all the times, but bg are soooooo much harder to pirate.

The PNP BG market is something worth exploring IMHO.

Yea the amount of trouble to pirate a board game, that person is likely never buying a game. And most people aren't going to go through the trouble.

Experien

Don't you have room for both? Ones a entry game, the other is a bit meatier. IMO they serve different purposes.

Technically I have both shoved in the same box so I do but...I don't know of a time when I would rather pull out Tokyo. I understand it is a very entry level game but if you don't use the tiles, you could almost play Tokyo with New York supplies with no issue.

Also, although I a wall of games, I want to slim down where I can. Like I am considering condensing Tsuro & Tsuro of Seas into one box, save space since I only have a small TV stand for my games before my next move (whenever that is).

I've played one game of Sheriff so far, and enjoyed it. Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts. I can definitely say that I like the art style, and the inserts in the box work great. It has nice trays to use for the different coin denominations, as well as a tray to hold the draw and discard stacks as you play. I'll post more after I get some more games in this weekend.

I want to hear more about King of NY! On the fence about it since the balance of the Tokyo one aggravates me sometimes.

I haven't opened my copy of SoN but I am quite excited.

What was the balance concerns over Tokyo? I think most of the OP cards in NY are pretty darn expensive (ie: Double Damage for $12?). I like how it feels like there is always something to do. Also, I was never found of people just trying to roll numbers to win by points. It feels harder to get the points this time around if you aren't in the right area but you can move around to make it easier. The different areas with buildings and infantry/planes/tanks just seems to add more strategy/depth to the game that is nice.

Karkador

Banned
I don't know, I disagree that the person downloading scans of cards and printing them was 'never going to buy it anyway'. The materials to do that stuff (paper, printer ink, sleeves, etc) still cost money, and it's still coming out of their pocket, in most cases.

I wonder if it's not that they're unwilling to pay, it's that the marketing isn't reaching them. If pirates are willing to print and play some poorly produced copies of card games without any sort of box or anything, maybe they'd be satisfied ordering the standalone deck of cards, professionally produced like the box version, from the publisher at a lower price than the retail version.

EYEL1NER

In theory I don't have an issue. The problem is I've found Facebook pages giving these things away (though, more troubling was the one that scanned the original artwork). DMRA take-downs are becoming a specialty.
Scans of the original art being used to copy a current on-the-shelf game is pretty shitty.

I did find a PnP that I wanted to buy from someone really badly a couple weeks back. An auction on BGG had a beautiful PnP that someone had done of Airborne in your Pocket. The game is never going to see the light of day with all the courtroom drama involving those guys and Up Front, and I wouldn't take the time to make a decent-looking version that I would be willing to play. So that was probably my only chance to play it.

I don't know, I disagree that the person downloading scans of cards and printing them was 'never going to buy it anyway'. The materials to do that stuff (paper, printer ink, sleeves, etc) still cost money, and it's still coming out of their pocket, in most cases.

That's kind of the point. They don't do it because they are cheap, like video game pirates.

To get a copy of Machi Koro in my home country it would cost around $50 - $60 (depending on if you get lucky with customs). Minimum salary is around $400. I can a get a couple of decks printed in artscow for $10 - $15.

Spain seems to do this a lot too, I've seen a few forums where they do this. Sometimes they buy the local editions and pirate the other ones. Considering the unemployment there, it's no surprise.

Karkador

Banned
That's kind of the point. They don't do it because they are cheap, like video game pirates.

To get a copy of Machi Koro in my home country it would cost around $50 - $60 (depending on if you get lucky with customs). Minimum salary is around $400. I can a get a couple of decks printed in artscow for $10 - $15.

Spain seems to do this a lot too, I've seen a few forums where they do this. Sometimes they buy the local editions and pirate the other ones. Considering the unemployment there, it's no surprise.

Right, the point is that they're still buying something; so maybe publishers can offer an 'artscow' option directly?

I've seen some KS projects offer a download of the PNP files as one of their low pledge levels (like $10 or less). It's not really that far out of an idea.

Cat Party

Boss Monster is deceptively dull. It looks great, and the mechanics seem interesting, but then you play it and there's just not much there to draw you back in for another game.

I got this recently and I've enjoyed it, but it does seem uneven. I think the core ideas are solid and the art is obviously great (which is why 90% of us bought it I'm sure). With some rule changes and some more variation in the cards, the game could be great.

daevv

Bit of a binge this week. Picked up Chinatown, Imperial Settlers, Battle Line, Space Empires 4X, and Star Realms for myself. I then paid way too much to get new copies of Castle The Detective game and Firefly Yahtzee for Christmas Gifts for my wife. Thanks Nathan Fillion. :)

ultron87

Sheriff is awesome game, only negative to us is the snaps on the bags they provide. They are too strong and pulling the snaps apart can easily break the bags. Simply don't use the snaps.
Weird, I haven't had any trouble with mine. I think the game would be a bit worse without them too, since the rule about the snap popping being the final call on opening a bag is my favorite thing. "Don't open it I'll give you a *POP*... Damn it."

Experien

Finally played my old couple of Space Cadets...it is fun but it really takes a lot to get the game going smoothly, and hard!

Also got like three rounds of Good Cop, Bad Cop! Now that is a good game but the last game ended with me being the only bad guy :(

Neverfade

Lunacy. The snaps are amazing. I'll never stop snapping.

Weird, I haven't had any trouble with mine. I think the game would be a bit worse without them too, since the rule about the snap popping being the final call on opening a bag is my favorite thing. "Don't open it I'll give you a *POP*... Damn it."

My man. 👊

Xeinok

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm a huge Netrunner player with a weekly D&D5e and Eclipse Phase group too (is this topic for RPGs like those too?).

Anyone involved in Netrunner tournament play at all?

Hey guys, I'm a huge Netrunner player with a weekly D&D5e and Eclipse Phase group too (is this topic for RPGs like those too?).

Anyone involved in Netrunner tournament play at all?
We don't really discuss RPGs here, but I'm sure no one would object. They are tabletop games after all.

We do have a few Netrunner players here. Most Netrunner talk has moved to the official Netrunner thread though. Only downside is it's pretty dead for the most part.

I joined a league for the first time about a month back but have been playing semi regularly for almost two years. Currently I'm running a Blue Sun kill deck that's has gone 5-0 in my league. My runner game is off though. I've been trying to make a Stealth Nasir deck work but it's too slow and requires too many pieces to function. That being said, it's probably the most fun deck I've made. It feels very "board-gamey", like I'm playing this economic engine game in the middle of Netrunner.

Karkador

Banned
I'm thinking about making some foam core inserts for some of my games. I do have a few questions to those who have done it before.

Is this the type of board I should use: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NS4HQY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And would that be enough for maybe 2 board games? I'm thinking of building inserts for the Suburbia and 7 Wonders boxes.

Thanks!

Yes, those are the boards.

I will typically use at least one foam board per game, if it's a mid sized box like those two games.

However, the current price on that page is outrageous. $18 for two boards? You can find them for $5 or less.

Yes, those are the boards.

I will typically use at least one foam board per game, if it's a mid sized box like those two games.

However, the current price on that page is outrageous. $18 for two boards? You can find them for $5 or less.

Yeah, I was wondering why the online prices are so high. Would they be cheaper at an arts & crafts store like Michael's?

Karkador

Banned
Yeah I recently bought the white foam board at Michael's at $4 for two (on sale). If you have one near by, definitely check it out.

I'm going to guess that the online prices are so high because the cost to ship it gets in the way.

Apenheul

20141123_222518.jpg

20141123_222504.jpg

A_nm21ZfpW4-bt-Jb1IrpuTZQKpCWfEndgnpFgI2Sug=w1598-h899-no

I played my first full game of Caverna today. I can see why some people call it Agricola 2.0 because it shares some mechanical similarities with it but the experience is quite different IMO. Almost everything eventually gives you points and there are few penalties; this allows for more diversification in strategies and makes it less painful to change strategies during the game. Still, it's hardly the "sandbox" I was told this game was; we were really paying attention to each others' actions and blocking whenever possible. Also, when investing in yellow buildings (which I believe you have to do if you want to earn a lot of points) you lock yourself into strategies that other players should clearly recognize. Great game and highly enjoyable but I'm not sure if I like it better than Agricola. I want to play it a couple of times more before I make up my mind. But one thing is for sure, I'm keeping both!

Experien

I'm thinking about making some foam core inserts for some of my games. I do have a few questions to those who have done it before.

Is this the type of board I should use: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NS4HQY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And would that be enough for maybe 2 board games? I'm thinking of building inserts for the Suburbia and 7 Wonders boxes.

Thanks!

I went to a local art store (so you know they aren't going to be the cheapest) and got this GIANT board that was bigger than 40x40 for about $5-7. That board was big enough for me to do a full insert for Last Night on Earth: Timber Peak w/Blood in the Forest, a lazy but pretty satisfying insert and mostly complete insert for Shadows of Brimstone AND have a bunch left over.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BGG Impressions
Had a very fun BGG.Con. Hung out with merc from the thread and met some other folks I know from past BGGs and the Bay-area gaming scene. Stray observations:
-Picked up Colt Express (preorder) and Camel Up (Z-Man booth) straightaway. Really enjoyed these games and they're right up my alley.
-Paperback is a really cool word game too. Like Scrabble+Dominion. I preordered that too as I guess it was a KS before. (Hadn't heard of it -- there are just way too many KSes for me to pay attention :p.)
-Open gaming, by far the best part of BGG, is getting a bit tougher unless you have a large enough group to just camp tables all day (which we all did on Saturday). They increased the exhibitor space and decreased the table space so most evenings it could get difficult to find a table (there were still hundreds, but for thousands of people). As a side effect, I feel like there were fewer people just casually grabbing games and putting up "Players Needed/Teacher Wanted" signs because nobody could afford to just give up a table like that while looking for a game. I really hope they add more table space next year.
-Ooh, also won the NR tourney! :D

Planning on going again next year of course (would be my sixth in a row) and hoping Stooge and Flynn can make it out for a reunion. :p

fenners

-Open gaming, by far the best part of BGG, is getting a bit tougher unless you have a large enough group to just camp tables all day (which we all did on Saturday). They increased the exhibitor space and decreased the table space so most evenings it could get difficult to find a table (there were still hundreds, but for thousands of people). As a side effect, I feel like there were fewer people just casually grabbing games and putting up "Players Needed/Teacher Wanted" signs because nobody could afford to just give up a table like that while looking for a game. I really hope they add more table space next year.

Yeah, I had a bit of a crappy evening because of this. In previous years, it's been pretty easy to get into games after the awards ceremony, but not this year. For most of Saturday, I saw relatively few 'players wanted' flags too. And there was definitely a huge shortage of open tables.

2650 people. Too many for the space.

Oh yeah they will. Also michaels hands out coupons like it was candy so you can usually find it for even cheaper.

Yeah I recently bought the white foam board at Michael's at $4 for two (on sale). If you have one near by, definitely check it out.

I'm going to guess that the online prices are so high because the cost to ship it gets in the way.

Cool, there's a Michael's about half an hour away from me. Thanks for all of the tips!

I went to a local art store (so you know they aren't going to be the cheapest) and got this GIANT board that was bigger than 40x40 for about $5-7. That board was big enough for me to do a full insert for Last Night on Earth: Timber Peak w/Blood in the Forest, a lazy but pretty satisfying insert and mostly complete insert for Shadows of Brimstone AND have a bunch left over.

Looks good! How long did that insert take you to build?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks!

While considering what to check out at BGGCON I was kind of surprised that Xcom and Witcher both seem to have pretty bad early impressions. Super disappointed about the latter because I quite like that universe. FFG is generally a pretty sure thing when it comes to good licensed games, but early indications aren't so great for these. I didn't wind up trying either because I wound up prioritizing other stuff.

Top Bottom