• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Karkador

Banned
You can try Deus on Boite a Jeux (online boardgaming site).

I think the game is pretty good, although I can see what people are saying by the game being a little too luck-dependent. It just becomes a bit frustrating when you use up a turn to draw up cards that still do nothing for you.

Still, I like the restrictive spaces the game puts you in. Getting the right resources to get a card out can be a tricky task, but the game rewards you with the cascading effect of the prior cards you played.

hort

Neo Member
I received a copy a few days early for my birthday and played it last night with my wife and parents. So good. I am a big Pandemic fan, and I'm shocked to admit that I prefer The Cure. The dice add an element of randomness and risk/reward that isn't in the original game.

I agree, I think I will almost always pick The Cure over regular Pandemic. At least until we get some more Pandemic expansions. The Cure manages to make almost every aspect of Pandemic more enjoyable for me.

UncleO

What are your thoughts about home-brewing a Scenario that includes X-Wing and Imperial assault?

That feels like a great way to kill a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Experien

What are your thoughts about home-brewing a Scenario that includes X-Wing and Imperial assault?

That feels like a great way to kill a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Rebel scum try to steal Imperial plans and jump into their X/Y/etc Wings & Rebel Transport and try to escape an Imperial blockade of Decimator/Defenders/etc but soon after escaping that front, find themselves wrapped up in a fight to the death with a Victory-class Star Destroyer in Armada!

Finally got a chance to mess around with some foam core over the weekend. Made some inserts for Castles of Burgundy based on this guy's design: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/115468/item/3469402#item3469402

I still made the trays on the fly without following specific measurements. Had a couple of missteps including making the bottom tray too tall. I can still shake the closed box to shuffle the tiles, but the hexagonal ones have enough room to flip over. I also decided it wasn't worth it to make another mini-tray for the silverlings and worker tiles. Anyway, here are some pics:

mSd7lH5.jpg

k4ecLlh.jpg

The cutting is the hardest part of all of this. My aluminum ruler would sometimes slide while I'm slicing causing skewed lines. Or I would slice at an angle and cause non-90 degree edges. Other than those, I thought it was a good first effort.

hort

Neo Member
Finally got a chance to mess around with some foam core over the weekend. Made some inserts for Castles of Burgundy based on this guy's design: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/115468/item/3469402#item3469402

I still made the trays on the fly without following specific measurements. Had a couple of missteps including making the bottom tray too tall. I can still shake the closed box to shuffle the tiles, but the hexagonal ones have enough room to flip over. I also decided it wasn't worth it to make another mini-tray for the silverlings and worker tiles. Anyway, here are some pics:

mSd7lH5.jpg

k4ecLlh.jpg

The cutting is the hardest part of all of this. My aluminum ruler would sometimes slide while I'm slicing causing skewed lines. Or I would slice at an angle and cause non-90 degree edges. Other than those, I thought it was a good first effort.

Looks a lot better than my first attempt! I tried to do an Elder Sign insert the first time. It fits the box and the components, but it is ugly as hell.

My second attempt with Pandemic went better. The insert looks nice, but I found out that I cannot fit a set of Pandemic + OTB cards (sleeved) and the disease trays that come with OTB in one box. So the disease trays are sitting out, on top of the box now :(

I got a better ruler and better foamcore for the second one. If anyone is looking to do this, get good materials before you start.

I want to redo my Elder Sign one now that I have the expansion for it, and maybe try Eldritch Horror next.

daevv

Canadian boardgamers should check their local Targets. I found Star Trek Catan today on clearance for $16.49 (reg $55). I also found Wits and Wagers Party for $10.49 (reg $35). They were mixed in with all the clearance toys in the Christmas clearance section.

So I played in an epic-ly long game of Eldritch Horror over the weekend. I really like the game, but the Omen of Devastation mystery associated with Azathoth can die in a fucking fire, as it literally added at least 3 hours to the game by itself.

Looking forward to getting my Xia: Legend of a Drift System this week.

UncleO

Rebel scum try to steal Imperial plans and jump into their X/Y/etc Wings & Rebel Transport and try to escape an Imperial blockade of Decimator/Defenders/etc but soon after escaping that front, find themselves wrapped up in a fight to the death with a Victory-class Star Destroyer in Armada!

I forgot about Armada, Holy crap is my wallet going to scream this year. I need to rework the budget.

Neverfade

So I played in an epic-ly long game of Eldritch Horror over the weekend. I really like the game, but the Omen of Devastation mystery associated with Azathoth can die in a fucking fire, as it literally added at least 3 hours to the game by itself.

Looking forward to getting my Xia: Legend of a Drift System this week.

Is that the one that shuffles a completed mystery back into the deck?

Cause that card can definitely go.

No no, you first start with the RPG, have your group take on a mission to steal plans, then battle breaks out using Imperial Assault. Follow up has the group get in fighters for an X-Wing game, which eventually leads to an all out war in Armada

Is that the one that shuffles a completed mystery back into the deck?

Cause that card can definitely go.

It's the one that requires Eldritch Tokens equal to the number of investigators to solve, and you can only put a token on it by closing a gate that corresponds to the current omen on the Omen track. Since it came up as the last mystery, the doom track was already low, so we had to be continually closing gates of the NEXT type on the omen track, just so the doom track wouldn't go down, and then we had to hope that the card would spawn gates and hope the gates that spawned were of the type we'd just moved the omen track to. It was really, really bad.

But yes, that other card can gtfo as well.

Blizzard

Banned
I always get the impression that Eldritch Horror is like Elder Sign, but with some complexity and 4 hours added on. I'm a wimp and it's definitely easier to find people for shorter games.

That one 4-player Eclipse game I played a month ago was probably the only time in the last year I've participated in a 3-5 hour game. It was basically like, the stars aligned, we were at least somewhat willing to give it a shot, the homeowner's wife went to sleep, and the rest of us buckled in for the long haul.

I always get the impression that Eldritch Horror is like Elder Sign, but with some complexity and 4 hours added on. I'm a wimp and it's definitely easier to find people for shorter games.

That one 4-player Eclipse game I played a month ago was probably the only time in the last year I've participated in a 3-5 hour game. It was basically like, the stars aligned, we were at least somewhat willing to give it a shot, the homeowner's wife went to sleep, and the rest of us buckled in for the long haul.

Its more like streamlined Arkham Horror

Xater

Care to speak on it's qualities? I'm big into tableau builders currently, and see this pop up on recommendation lists.

It's just super elegant design. Easy to learn and teach. Board and card interaction is fun and it's just great to figure out new engines with different card combinations every time.

My second attempt with Pandemic went better. The insert looks nice, but I found out that I cannot fit a set of Pandemic + OTB cards (sleeved) and the disease trays that come with OTB in one box. So the disease trays are sitting out, on top of the box now :(

I got a better ruler and better foamcore for the second one. If anyone is looking to do this, get good materials before you start.

I'm thinking of doing Pandemic too because the sleeved cards don't fit the insert that came with OTB. Though I might wait until I get In the Lab so that I can properly plan it out. But yeah, good materials are definitely key.

On another note, I tried out Ghost Stories solo last night to test it out before having people over. Man, that game is relentless even on initiation difficulty. Ended up losing and I felt like I was always exorcising ghosts. I didn't get enough opportunities to request help from villagers and prepare for incoming ghosts.

Icefire1424

Looks a lot better than my first attempt! I tried to do an Elder Sign insert the first time. It fits the box and the components, but it is ugly as hell.

I want to redo my Elder Sign one now that I have the expansion for it, and maybe try Eldritch Horror next.

Where does one acquire foamcore anyways - assuming like a hobby shop or somewhere similar? I think I'm well past due in creating a better storage solution for my Star Wars Card Game collection, need a better way of dividing up those factions and objectives.

Edit: Aaaaaaaand answered my own question. Listed as foam board at Michaels arts and crafts in the US, and they have it at Office Depot. Disregard!

y2dvd

Anyone ever played Talisman? I don't really play board games, but we played Talisman 4th Edition with an expansion pack and it was a lot of fun. Early impressions are that the Amazon is pretty broken.

joelseph

Learning rftg on ba and keldon

Keldon is great because I can see the full action card and it really helped me map everything out that was happening.

I have a question though. Playing on keldon against AI in a 2P Advanced game. Why would the game split settle into two phases if we both choose settle and why would he get a settle decision on the first and second but I was only allowed to settle on the second?

Learning rftg on ba and keldon

Keldon is great because I can see the full action card and it really helped me map everything out that was happening.

I have a question though. Playing on keldon against AI in a 2P Advanced game. Why would the game split settle into two phases if we both choose settle and why would he get a settle decision on the first and second but I was only allowed to settle on the second?

Love Keldon. The RFTG AI is absurdly good, and really helps you learn proper strategy for 2 players (or at least have an inkling of why you lost badly to the AI).

As for your settle question, the AI chose two settles which means that both of you could settle worlds twice. The AI will get two bonuses if he does, and you'll get one if you do.

Dragoshi1

Okay, guys, I'm looking for a new game to get.

One I was fond of, and one that was fun with 2+ people, was D&D Minis, or the battle game for it, I remember picking up the 2 player starter pack at a Borders, and enjoying the warriors vs monsters dynamic, along with the detailed figures and tile maps.

I believe they were discontinued as of now, as I cannot find them anywhere, and mine were all sold off a while back.

What I want is a game similar to that, with nice miniatures, pvp against 2+ people, and cool maps with which to battle. I've tried Heroclix(it didn't click with me), and Mechwarrior(sorta clicked, but only the lite version of the rules), and Monsterpocalypse(got more complicated the deeper you get into it for me, like the dozens of different actions a monster could take per turn).

joelseph

One I was fond of, and one that was fun with 2+ people, was D&D Minis, or the battle game for it, I remember picking up the 2 player starter pack at a Borders, and enjoying the warriors vs monsters dynamic, along with the detailed figures and tile maps.

I believe they were discontinued as of now, as I cannot find them anywhere, and mine were all sold off a while back.

What I want is a game similar to that, with nice miniatures, pvp against 2+ people, and cool maps with which to battle. I've tried Heroclix(it didn't click with me), and Mechwarrior(sorta clicked, but only the lite version of the rules), and Monsterpocalypse(got more complicated the deeper you get into it for me, like the dozens of different actions a monster could take per turn).

hort

Neo Member

I don't know if this is what you are referring to trying already and getting canceled, but have you checked out DnD dungeon command?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/18299/dungeon-command

Also, it doesn't have a "map" per se, but X-wing is a great miniatures game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103885/star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-game

There is a DnD version of it too. (Made by the people who make Star Trek Attack Wing, not X-wing)
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155689/dungeons-dragons-attack-wing-starter-set

Deadstar

Should I get crazy and sleeve my entire dominion set? I prefer the feel of the cards without sleeves but I want to preserve the cards so they don't get trashed after many plays. Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I wish the cards were higher quality so I didn't have to worry about it.

Dragoshi1

I forgot to mention I have Krosmaster Arena, since I remember it being described as a FF Tactics style game, but it also didn't click with me and my gaming group.

Super Dungeon Explore, however looks interesting, I always love some good chibi art. And it's a dungeon crawler style game with RPG elements? Sweet. How difficult is it to construct the miniatures, do you know?

I don't know if this is what you are referring to trying already and getting canceled, but have you checked out DnD dungeon command?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/18299/dungeon-command

Also, it doesn't have a "map" per se, but X-wing is a great miniatures game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103885/star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-game

There is a DnD version of it too. (Made by the people who make Star Trek Attack Wing, not X-wing)
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155689/dungeons-dragons-attack-wing-starter-set

I have X-Wing! Had to dig it out to make sure, but yeah, I have it. The DnD Attack Wing set looks awesome, basically the same thing but with dragons, right? If so, that already sound great.

This came out already? Is it fun at all?

hort

Neo Member
I have X-Wing! Had to dig it out to make sure, but yeah, I have it. The DnD Attack Wing set looks awesome, basically the same thing but with dragons, right? If so, that already sound great.

There are dragons, and ground units like soldiers, trolls, etc etc. Its very similar but has some interesting twists to it. I haven't played it my self, but some parts of it look kind of cool.

Came out a couple of weeks ago. No idea on fun, haven't played it.

Experien

No no, you first start with the RPG, have your group take on a mission to steal plans, then battle breaks out using Imperial Assault. Follow up has the group get in fighters for an X-Wing game, which eventually leads to an all out war in Armada

But where do you put the LCG?

Phthisis

Super Dungeon Explore, however looks interesting, I always love some good chibi art. And it's a dungeon crawler style game with RPG elements? Sweet. How difficult is it to construct the miniatures, do you know?

It's not too bad. I don't do any sort of miniature gaming, and I was able to assemble everything okay. It's also worth noting that only the core set requires assembly; all the expansions and the upcoming big box expand-alone come with pre-assembled minis.

Karkador

Banned
I played Witness last night, such a charming game! It's a new game coming out soon, and it's a light mystery/case-solving game for exactly 4 players, published by Ystari/Asmodee (the same people who currently put out Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective).

The game is essentially a set of books that present 64 different crime-themed mysteries, many of them are like puzzles you'd find in a Professor Layton game (likewise, the style of the game is like a comic book, and the puzzles have nice clean illustrations). Each player gets their own companion book, giving them a unique clue for each mystery that they have to pass on to the other players.

So the fun part of the game is that you can only share this information via whispering to your neighbor - and they whisper their clue (along with yours) to their neighbor, and so on....until all the clues have finally Telephoned their way back to you. With all four pieces of the puzzle (hopefully) intact, you can try to answer the questions individually, then score collectively.

What makes the game is that its' up to you to think of how you're going to codify the clue to pass it on, because there are sometimes unnecessary red herrings and word play involved that will confuse the other player - or if you're describing something in a different manner from your neighbors, it's going to confuse everybody and make everything harder to memorize.

I know this thread has a few fans of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, and I'd say that this is something you should definitely check out if you like that game.

Steenbock

Neo Member
It's not too bad. I don't do any sort of miniature gaming, and I was able to assemble everything okay. It's also worth noting that only the core set requires assembly; all the expansions and the upcoming big box expand-alone come with pre-assembled minis.

It's also worth pointing out that the new big box version, "Forgotten King", not only offers a heavily revised rule-set, but also rules for running head to head battles with 'warbands', as well as a completely co-operative mode. So, if you're interested in the game, you may want to wait a few months for that version to hit the shelves before jumping in.

IIRC Soda Pop minis come preassembled.

I don't know about later editions, but the original game (the main set) came in pieces that you had to glue together. Didn't mind it though. The later expansions come pre-assembled or at least all in single pieces.

I'm looking to sell mine plus the two expansions, so hopefully the fact it's pre-assembled helps the sale.

Icefire1424

Ugh, speaking of X-Wing, I don't think I'm patient enough for the reprint of the early wave stuff. Actually was at my FLGS yesterday, and they're out of pretty much everything, including the core set. Well, except some of the aces and the transport.

On a plus note though, finally got around to picking up the original Pandemic and the Edge of Darkness expansion for SW:LCG over the holidays. Wife even asked to play something, so broke out Dominion, and she really seemed to like it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ugh, speaking of X-Wing, I don't think I'm patient enough for the reprint of the early wave stuff. Actually was at my FLGS yesterday, and they're out of pretty much everything, including the core set. Well, except some of the aces and the transport.

On a plus note though, finally got around to picking up the original Pandemic and the Edge of Darkness expansion for SW:LCG over the holidays. Wife even asked to play something, so broke out Dominion, and she really seemed to like it.

Oh man I need to sell my xwing stuff then. I have a pretty huge set up through wave 2 and lots of little chrome haha.

XShagrath

Should I get crazy and sleeve my entire dominion set? I prefer the feel of the cards without sleeves but I want to preserve the cards so they don't get trashed after many plays. Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I wish the cards were higher quality so I didn't have to worry about it.
Preserving the cards is really the secondary reason why you would sleeve Dominion, as the game itself is relatively cheap. The real reason is that shuffling sleeved cards is way easier.

I sleeved all my Dominion cards with FFG sleeves, and adds about 50% to the cost of the game. Definitely not worth it monetarily, but damn if shuffling those sleeved cards doesn't feel good!

All of my 9 sets of Dominion + promos are sleeved, but I used the cheaper Mayday ones. Certainly added a shit ton to the cost, but in my case, it's definitely to preserve them. One base box of Dominion isn't expensive, I agree, but add the 8 expansions then yeah I'm going to protect all 3000 of those cards.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I played Witness last night, such a charming game! It's a new game coming out soon, and it's a light mystery/case-solving game for exactly 4 players, published by Ystari/Asmodee (the same people who currently put out Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective).

The game is essentially a set of books that present 64 different crime-themed mysteries, many of them are like puzzles you'd find in a Professor Layton game (likewise, the style of the game is like a comic book, and the puzzles have nice clean illustrations). Each player gets their own companion book, giving them a unique clue for each mystery that they have to pass on to the other players.

So the fun part of the game is that you can only share this information via whispering to your neighbor - and they whisper their clue (along with yours) to their neighbor, and so on....until all the clues have finally Telephoned their way back to you. With all four pieces of the puzzle (hopefully) intact, you can try to answer the questions individually, then score collectively.

What makes the game is that its' up to you to think of how you're going to codify the clue to pass it on, because there are sometimes unnecessary red herrings and word play involved that will confuse the other player - or if you're describing something in a different manner from your neighbors, it's going to confuse everybody and make everything harder to memorize.

I know this thread has a few fans of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, and I'd say that this is something you should definitely check out if you like that game.

That sounds pretty cool!

We played Imperial Assault for the first time this Saturday. Everyone loved it so much that we only played that the whole day. And I was sad that we can't play any more until the next Saturday, talked with one of the guys and he said that he wondered that night if we can gather to play the Sunday as well. ^^;

I tried almost every table top RPG proxy board & card game and this was the one that the whole group had the most fun. If that is what you are seeking, I would recommend it wholeheartedly. Or if you are looking for a skirmish game. If you are looking for anything else, look elsewhere.

Top Bottom