• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Lyng

We played Imperial Assault for the first time this Saturday. Everyone loved it so much that we only played that the whole day. And I was sad that we can't play any more until the next Saturday, talked with one of the guys and he said that he wondered that night if we can gather to play the Sunday as well. ^^;

I tried almost every table top RPG proxy board & card game and this was the one that the whole group had the most fun. If that is what you are seeking, I would recommend it wholeheartedly. Or if you are looking for a skirmish game. If you are looking for anything else, look elsewhere.

Yeah. Played it with my wife when I received it monday. And we have been playing it every night since.
Normally I dont like any games with dice combat in it, but this just hits all the right spots for me.
Fantastic game and feels very streamlined.

Big One

Banned
Just got IMperial Assault and figured out the rules (not all but I'm getting there) and played a couple of missions in the Campaign...and wow, I really enjoy it. It makes me wonder why I never played Descent...maybe it's Star Wars.

The Skirmishing is going to make the game last a very long time for me. I'm already tempted at buying a second copy of the set to get more copies of things like Force Lightning so I can build more Command decks.

Which speaking of am I the only one who finds it weird I can play Lure of the Darkside and Force Lightning in a Rebel Command deck?

Experien

Finally getting some people over tonight to play Imperial Assault. The Rules seem incredibly simple (outside of building Agenda/Mission decks) but is there any tips that would be helpful?

I am hoping to get home early to set up stuff and glance and some things to prepare.

JesseZao

Didn't get to play it, but a guy brought alchemists to the gaming group yesterday. Looks fun. Hopefully we can play it next week. He paid a pretty penny to import an Essen copy.

We did play cosmic encounter. I think it might be partly the people I played it with, but it was underwhelming. Probably need to see more if the cards to discover different strategies and choices. I was Zombie, so all I did was attack and never die.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Didn't get to play it, but a guy brought alchemists to the gaming group yesterday. Looks fun. Hopefully we can play it next week. He paid a pretty penny to import an Essen copy.

We did play cosmic encounter. I think it might be partly the people I played it with, but it was underwhelming. Probably need to see more if the cards to discover different strategies and choices. I was Zombie, so all I did was attack and never die.

Hm, sucks to hear about cosmic encounter. I am still looking forward to trying it myself. Hope we get a different experience.

Regarding Alchemists: Be sober and focussed, make sure there is someone who learned the rules beforehand and explains it to you, reading the manual is really not optimal for the game. This game has some seriously devious thinking going on.

JesseZao

Hm, sucks to hear about cosmic encounter. I am still looking forward to trying it myself. Hope we get a different experience.

Regarding Alchemists: Be sober and focussed, make sure there is someone who learned the rules beforehand and explains it to you, reading the manual is really not optimal for the game. This game has some seriously devious thinking going on.

Three of us were new, so the negotiating/deal making portion of the game just went flat by default. The person who brought the game isn't an expert strategy guy, so we didn't get any good ideas from him. It just turned into "how bout we just each put a ship on one new colony. Deal?" We didn't know enough about the cards (and I had terrible ones) to make deals involving anything else. I'd read up on some strategy before playing it again.

We just played vanilla with four people. I have no idea what the expansions add.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Three of us were new, so the negotiating/deal making portion of the game just went flat by default. The person who brought the game isn't an expert strategy guy, so we didn't get any good ideas from him. It just turned into "how bout we just each put a ship on one new colony. Deal?" We didn't know enough about the cards (and I had terrible ones) to make deals involving anything else. I'd read up on some strategy before playing it again.

We just played vanilla with four people. I have no idea what the expansions add.

Expansions? Did you play the old basic version? I only have the new "remake" lying around, which apparently includes some ideas from the expansions of the old game (like technologies), which sound like they might make the game much more intriguing.

But yeah, I plan on playing this game with VERY competetive and strategic people, so that shouldnt be much of a problem :)

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
Hi Board Game Gaf,

I'm thinking of getting into the attack wing series, particularly the D&D variant. Always wanted to get into the Wargaming environment but never had the time or money to work on my own miniatures. D&D Attack Wing seems like a good introductory way for me to play alongside with some other friends who also do not cannot invest into wargaming.

Anybody tried it out? Does it have good replay value?

I'm also thinking of buying/making some good battle terrain for the game. I think it'd be lots of fun. Any recommendations on good terrain mats or fields? The ones that they sell at games workshop (the metal based ones) are way too expensive. I think a nice rollup mat + some trees and Styrofoam hills would be sufficient.

JesseZao

Expansions? Did you play the old basic version? I only have the new "remake" lying around, which apparently includes some ideas from the expansions of the old game (like technologies), which sound like they might make the game much more intriguing.

But yeah, I plan on playing this game with VERY competetive and strategic people, so that shouldnt be much of a problem :)

It was the most recent reprint. The guy teaching it is mostly into cooperative games, so if I played it with a few of the other people there, it probably would've been more enjoyable for me.

Neverfade

My group is into just about every negotiation game under the sun and Cosmic Encounter is just a flat brown note for us. I personally think it falls in that Diplomacy catagory where there not enough game and too much "Hey kids, just go wild!" Factor.

Toma

My group is into just about every negotiation game under the sun and Cosmic Encounter is just a flat brown note for us. I personally think it falls in that Diplomacy catagory where there not enough game and too much "Hey kids, just go wild!" Factor.

Its not even mainly a negotiation game, is it? I mean the negotiation part is one outcome of the battle that could happen, but in most cases there wont be any negotiation at all, right?

joelseph

Its not even mainly a negotiation game, is it? I mean the negotiation part is one outcome of the battle that could happen, but in most cases there wont be any negotiation at all, right?

You negotiate with the other players to try and get them to help attack or defend with you. Usually people don't grok this mechanic and invite everyone to help attack.

Steenbock

Neo Member
Hi Board Game Gaf,

I'm thinking of getting into the attack wing series, particularly the D&D variant. Always wanted to get into the Wargaming environment but never had the time or money to work on my own miniatures. D&D Attack Wing seems like a good introductory way for me to play alongside with some other friends who also do not cannot invest into wargaming.

Anybody tried it out? Does it have good replay value?

I'm also thinking of buying/making some good battle terrain for the game. I think it'd be lots of fun. Any recommendations on good terrain mats or fields? The ones that they sell at games workshop (the metal based ones) are way too expensive. I think a nice rollup mat + some trees and Styrofoam hills would be sufficient.

I've only had a chance to play it a couple of times, but I like the mechanics quite a bit. I've played Wings of War, X-Wing Miniatures and Star Trek Attack Wing, and each system has felt like a better version of the previous.

One thing to think about with terrain; You're going be moving over it a lot with flying units, and you're going to need to be able to stop within it as well. Personally, I've been using my Warhammer:Diskwars terrain. It's flat, looks very nice, there's a decent variety, it's already fantasy themed and it's heavy enough to stay in place.

JesseZao

I personally think it falls in that Diplomacy catagory where there not enough game and too much "Hey kids, just go wild!" Factor.

That's certainly describes my experience. It seemed like a game for veterans. I had heard good things about the game too, so I was excited to try it.

"Anyone to help defend/attack?" and boring deals made it feel like we were playing a scripted tutorial.

It certainly didn't help that my hand was clogged with 4-5 negotiate cards and I never saw a special power card besides one artifact card.

Neverfade

It's nothing if not a negotiation game. The entire game hinges on the players negotiating to self balance the game.

Ohnonono

Played Pandemic:The Cure last night. Had a ton of fun. I lost twice but I was pretty close both times. Definitely a balancing act trying to cure stuff and keeping outbreaks from chaining.

Ordered Legendary Encounters:Aliens today because cool stuff restocked it. I am really hoping that I get all of the components. The BGG forums are a terrifying mess of people missing cards. Someone made a nice master card list though so at least I will know for sure if I am missing something.

Neverfade

Speaking of CSI: anyone know if there's an option to pay a premium and avoid the godawful FedEx SmartPost for the free shipping threshold?

Seems like they only used to use that when the package was shipping to customers out west but I think FedEx's 2015 rates have changed and it seems inevitable to get stuck with this bullshit.

ultron87

Now nearly a year later I slightly question why I backed Fief since I'm not sure if I'd get people to play it, but it sure is purdy.

Neverfade

Speaking of CSI: anyone know if there's an option to pay a premium and avoid the godawful FedEx SmartPost for the free shipping threshold?

Seems like they only used to use that when the package was shipping to customers out west but I think FedEx's 2015 rates have changed and it seems inevitable to get stuck with this bullshit.

Just got off the phone with Anthony from CSI -- he said the easiest way is to note you want FedEx ground in the order notes and if the order will process as SmartPost they'll upgrade it for a few bucks. Strangely he noted that some orders go through as Ground anyway and wouldn't even have an up charge fee at all -- I'm still unclear on what makes an order qualify for one over the other at this point. Adding a large amount of heavy games to cart and checking out seemed to give me Ground, blowing a hole in my large-boxes theory.

Now nearly a year later I slightly question why I backed Fief since I'm not sure if I'd get people to play it, but it sure is purdy.

I've had my shipping number since the 28th, and it hasn't moved. I know they just started getting them in this week but I'm being very impatient now that it's so close.

Karkador

Banned
I know there are some "Ameritrash" fans in this thread who love their Talisman and Arkham and stuff like that - If that's you, friend...I suggest you skip this post. I'm so sorry.

I played Fortune and Glory tonight, and I think I'm done with this insidiously stupid genre of rolling dice to pass check after check of abstract nonsense. It's pushing a boulder up a mountain for an hour, just for someone's bullshit surprise card to send you right back down to the start. I can't believe people find this fun. I can't believe people call this "thematic". What a huge waste of time.

joelseph

After a 7 person BSG game this past weekend, I am all but done with Ameritrash. Agreed on Flying Frog. The thing is, when you are in their booth demoing with the designer it feels amazing. As soon as you get the 100+ dollar box home you realize it's just another dice roller with pretty graphics.

Experien

I know there are some "Ameritrash" fans in this thread who love their Talisman and Arkham and stuff like that - If that's you, friend...I suggest you skip this post. I'm so sorry.

I played Fortune and Glory tonight, and I think I'm done with this insidiously stupid genre of rolling dice to pass check after check of abstract nonsense. It's pushing a boulder up a mountain for an hour, just for someone's bullshit surprise card to send you right back down to the start. I can't believe people find this fun. I can't believe people call this "thematic". What a huge waste of time.

The flavor cards!!!

Haven't played Fortune and Glory but I definitely see your point with Eldritch Horror. I noticed it pretty early on but I still find fun and didn't point it out to people cause they were enjoying it too.

Maybe I am over thinking it or trying to defend it too much but it is almost like playing an RPG? Someone reads/says something happens and you roll to see if you fail or pass. The main people I've played it with do like RPGs, so maybe that is why it works for them/us.

Yeah, Fortune and Glory isn't great. I think Flying Frog's entire library is trash, to be honest.

Despite their 2038 products, they only really have about three games. Not a fan of Shadows of Brimstone?

Xater

Theme < Mechanics in my book when it comes to board games. I'll never get over bad mechanics or a bunch of bullshit just to have a better theme.

I dont see skill checks as bad in any way. If that's all a game is though, then I see that as kinda negative of course. If games have enough variety in choices and play, skill checks are just fine, it's been carried over from RPG's where essentially all you do is make skill checks for every single thing you do.

ultron87

I think skill checks can be a perfectly fine system. The problem comes when you get thrown random skill checks from a deck that you have no control over. If one guy can get good at fighting and then just go fight monsters that is great. But if some random deck can be like "fuck you tough guy you need to do a knowledge check or you get screwed!" it sucks.

XShagrath

I was super hyped for Fortune & Glory when it was first announced.

Then I played it twice, and it's been sitting in my closet ever since, along with half a dozen other games that I thought were hot, but ended up being not.

Palmer_v1

The fun of those games to me is knowing you're on a sinking ship, and seeing just how crazy shit gets before you finally drown. Also makes it far more satisfying when you win. Without skillchecks to force a little randomization, it seems like some co-op games just devolve into one ideal strategy that you follow every time.

Karkador

Banned
Hah, well, I slept off the rage a bit, and can now comment a little more rationally. Mind you, I won the game, and I was still that mad about the game.

The flavor cards!!!

You're not wrong. The first hour or so of the game, I was having a good time. The pulp adventurer theme is fun. I like the way the artifacts are two title cards that combine into one silly name ("The Shadow...of Darkness"...wait, what?). I had fun imagining how the push-your-luck adventures strung together into one narrative.

Even the really corny photo artwork feels fine after settling into it, kind of like we're playing a board game version of a Sega CD FMV game.

The problem is, calling this game "thematic" is a facade, because the game itself is just meaningless randomness on top of meaningless randomness, and it could be a game about anything if you're going to abstract any type of action or event into a dice roll. We might as well just roll 200 dice all at once and figure out a final score from that.

Maybe I am over thinking it or trying to defend it too much but it is almost like playing an RPG? Someone reads/says something happens and you roll to see if you fail or pass. The main people I've played it with do like RPGs, so maybe that is why it works for them/us.

I don't have much RPG experience, but my understanding is that a P&P RPG is primarily about improvising the story as you go along, and the skill checks and dice rolls are there to throw your plans sideways and require you to stay creative. To that end, it seems fine, because the experience is more about taking the story through different twists and turns, not the strictly win/lose of a board game.

I think skill checks can be a perfectly fine system. The problem comes when you get thrown random skill checks from a deck that you have no control over. If one guy can get good at fighting and then just go fight monsters that is great. But if some random deck can be like "fuck you tough guy you need to do a knowledge check or you get screwed!" it sucks.

Yes, that's definitely an indicator of one of the huge flaws of these types of games. You can give every player a different role, but when every action is decided on d6 rolls, whether it's casting a spell, swinging a sword, moving around, or talking to people, then everyone is still doing the same exact thing. The design just subjects every player to the same deck of uneven skill checks because they're all doing the same thing anyway.

The fun of those games to me is knowing you're on a sinking ship, and seeing just how crazy shit gets before you finally drown. Also makes it far more satisfying when you win. Without skillchecks to force a little randomization, it seems like some co-op games just devolve into one ideal strategy that you follow every time.

To be clear, we were playing Competitive Fortune and Glory, not Co-Op. I probably would have enjoyed Co-Op more, because at least I wouldn't have suffered so much unpredictable and unavoidable antagonizing from other players.

Palmer_v1

To be clear, we were playing Competitive Fortune and Glory, not Co-Op. I probably would have enjoyed Co-Op more, because at least I wouldn't have suffered so much unpredictable and unavoidable antagonizing from other players.

Fair enough. My comment was aimed at the talk of Eldritch Horror and other purely co-op stuff.

I haven't actually played Fortune and Glory.

joelseph

Got Arcadia Quest and Legendary Encounters Alien! Alas, got called into work, so no time to sort and set up anything.

Unpacking Legendary for the first time is always the worst. Their printing process must be designed to make it the most difficult for the end user.

Coop and team mode F&G are alot better. Competitive is just like Talisman where things see saw and random too much.

Eldritch Horror is essentially F&G but better in the sense that it's a bit more predictable, and players also know where on the board to go to improve what they are weak in to make up for the skills they lack in. You still get the randomness of the events just like F&G, but you still feel like you have more control being coop and being able to customize your character through in game progression.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Unpacking Legendary for the first time is always the worst. Their printing process must be designed to make it the most difficult for the end user.

Aliens in particular is brutal. Think I would have had a hard time if I hadn't played so many other Legendary titles. And even then I caught a few mistakes at the end. Worst part is the box isn't super great for keeping the cards from getting jumbled, especially if you don't sleeve. Love the series though so oh well. :p

Coop and team mode F&G are alot better. Competitive is just like Talisman where things see saw and random too much.

Eldritch Horror is essentially F&G but better in the sense that it's a bit more predictable, and players also know where on the board to go to improve what they are weak in to make up for the skills they lack in. You still get the randomness of the events just like F&G, but you still feel like you have more control being coop and being able to customize your character through in game progression.

Yeah, I'll second this. Co-op Fortune & Glory is way better then competative. With the co-op component you get the thrill of possible failure, but the make or break randomness is rounded out by having teammates there to help you out.

I'll also agree that Eldrtich Horror is even better for this.

Honestly I do like F&G a lot, but its kind of inspired me to make my own game (we'll see how long that desire lasts), because its got a lot of good ideas, but also some mechanics I don't like, and it is kind of pain to set up.

Xero

my big order from cardhause was supposed to arrive today, and didn't. ;_; little upset about that. Up until midnight UPS still said it was on time to arrive by the end of the day. Its so stupid that its a 20 minute drive away, but they're not open to pick it up on saturdays. Even usps and fedex deliver on saturdays.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah, I'll second this. Co-op Fortune & Glory is way better then competative. With the co-op component you get the thrill of possible failure, but the make or break randomness is rounded out by having teammates there to help you out.

Yeah, I've enjoyed some things of other co-op games that play very similarly (Police Precinct, Darkest Night, Pathfinder: ACG) - if those games were competitive, I'd have thrown this fit much sooner.

Armoured Priest said:
Honestly I do like F&G a lot, but its kind of inspired me to make my own game (we'll see how long that desire lasts), because its got a lot of good ideas, but also some mechanics I don't like, and it is kind of pain to set up.

Well, what the game probably should be is Incan Gold on a world map, with numerous push-your-luck temples to go investigate together for treasure, as well as the major artifacts. Make it so that players have to cooperate with each other to get to these temples, then reverse the flow of the gameplay as players try to play chicken with each other to bail out of the temple and share less of the rewards.

Then keep the "go back to town to sell your goodies and buy powerups" type of stuff, too.

Experien

What's the main difference between GenCon, BGGcon, and Origins? This is obviously outside of price, location, and time of the year.

Just the number of vendors?

What's the main difference between GenCon, BGGcon, and Origins? This is obviously outside of price, location, and time of the year.

Just the number of vendors?

From the outside observer:
GenCon - Might as well be America's Essen game fair. Really big and tons of new releases.
Origins - Mini GenCon
BGG Con - A place where all people do is play games with each other. No other fluff, just games. It also has the distinction to being after Essen so a lot of games that were released there are available to play at BGG Con.

Neverfade

Totally forgot to post some Roll for the Galaxy impressions:

Dig it.

It really feels like Race, but with just enough switched up where I can justify owning both.

Having each tile be double sided with both a development and world is great -- guaranteed to get the type I'm looking for but there can be some really tough choices when deciding between the two: Lots of awesome 6+ developments on one side with worlds on the other that just want to vomit dice into your cup. I like the flexibility of the dice. Any color die can be produced as a good on any color world, but you get rewarded further for matching colors. I had a nice Reassign engine going on (letting me use any side of a die for any action) and used it to pump out VPs via shipping while my opponent went military-die focused and really cranked out worlds. Definitely felt like two separate paths to victory, again much like Race; and while I ended up winning, it was a lot closer than I imagined it was going to be.

This one will probably see heavy rotation.

ultron87

From the outside observer:
GenCon - Might as well be America's Essen game fair. Really big and tons of new releases.
Origins - Mini GenCon
BGG Con - A place where all people do is play games with each other. No other fluff, just games. It also has the distinction to being after Essen so a lot of games that were released there are available to play at BGG Con.

I've heard that Origins is much closer to BGG Con than Gen Con with it being a lot of open gaming. But I've never actually been, despite living in Columbus/Cincinnati my whole life. So I might be lying! I'm going this year though!

Totally forgot to post some Roll for the Galaxy impressions:

Dig it.

It really feels like Race, but with just enough switched up where I can justify owning both.

Having each tile be double sided with both a development and world is great -- guaranteed to get the type I'm looking for but there can be some really tough choices when deciding between the two: Lots of awesome 6+ developments on one side with worlds on the other that just want to vomit dice into your cup. I like the flexibility of the dice. Any color die can be produced as a good on any color world, but you get rewarded further for matching colors. I had a nice Reassign engine going on (letting me use any side of a die for any action) and used it to pump out VPs via shipping while my opponent went military-die focused and really cranked out worlds. Definitely felt like two separate paths to victory, again much like Race; and while I ended up winning, it was a lot closer than I imagined it was going to be.

This one will probably see heavy rotation.

How are the dice?

Repgnar

Bought Dominion this weekend after walking into a local gaming store with the intention of buying a two player game. Only got to play one session but we had fun with it. Used the recommended cards and already looking forward to getting to try out some of the others. Was hoping to pick up Carcossonne but got Dominion. Wasn't sure if she'd like the deck building aspect but we both enjoyed it. I think the board building aspect of Carcassonne would be neat and i've only heard good things about it. Any suggestions on what we should pick up next besides Carcossone?

Xater

Bought Dominion this weekend after walking into a local gaming store with the intention of buying a two player game. Only got to play one session but we had fun with it. Used the recommended cards and already looking forward to getting to try out some of the others. Was hoping to pick up Carcossonne but got Dominion. Wasn't sure if she'd like the deck building aspect but we both enjoyed it. I think the board building aspect of Carcassonne would be neat and i've only heard good things about it. Any suggestions on what we should pick up next besides Carcossone?

Well Imjust gonna post again my 2 player favorites, all of which get played to death and are still fun.

Jaipur
Targi
Hive
Patchwork
Strife

And yes Carcassonne works great as a 2 player game. I'd recommend getting the Big Bix right away. Carc is addicting and you'll want more soon.

Ohnonono

Got a perfect set of Legendary Encounters: Alien. That was a bitch to sort and count but I was really happy when it all ended up being there. Played the Aliens scenario and got my ass whooped but it is for sure the best deck builder I have played imo. Super thematic and the scanning mechanic makes you LONG for the attack characters that can seem so useless early in most of those types of games. Its pretty brutal at least atm but I like a co-op game that way for sure.

It kind of makes me want to get into the Marvel side of things but I am not sure what the best order to buy stuff in is. I want Villains because... its rad, but from what I understand the Marvel versions definitely lack the narrative thread that in in the Alien game so I don't even know if it would be worth it. I have an imagination and all but the impressions that were given to me at least of the base box were that it felt more like running a board than playing through a story.

I would love impressions from anyone on here who plays/owns it and wants to give me pointers on the most needed buys/expansions.

Top Bottom