• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Aliens does feel more thematic in a sense, the rules are essentially the same though, the real major difference is that enemies are not hidden as they move down the track and that if they get off the track they will attack you. In Marvel the enemies just "escape" and cause something negative to happen of varying degrees of penalty. Ton of scenarios in Marvel compared to Aliens, some more thematic than others.... the one thing about Marvel is that it kinda feels jumbled together with how the odd combinations of villains/masterminds/heroes turns out sometimes, while Aliens is done more in premade scenarios with hand picked cards to keep the scenario feeling more in theme.

Ohnonono

Aliens does feel more thematic in a sense, the rules are essentially the same though, the real major difference is that enemies are not hidden as they move down the track and that if they get off the track they will attack you. In Marvel the enemies just "escape" and cause something negative to happen of varying degrees of penalty. Ton of scenarios in Marvel compared to Aliens, some more thematic than others.... the one thing about Marvel is that it kinda feels jumbled together with how the odd combinations of villains/masterminds/heroes turns out sometimes, while Aliens is done more in premade scenarios with hand picked cards to keep the scenario feeling more in theme.

I see I see. Regardless I will be waiting a bit. Also they would have to get the playmat for the hero version back in stock somewhere because I don't play deck builders on boards. I will wait it out for a while. Plenty of gameplay in Alien for the time being.

Dragoshi1

Got a perfect set of Legendary Encounters: Alien. That was a bitch to sort and count but I was really happy when it all ended up being there. Played the Aliens scenario and got my ass whooped but it is for sure the best deck builder I have played imo. Super thematic and the scanning mechanic makes you LONG for the attack characters that can seem so useless early in most of those types of games. Its pretty brutal at least atm but I like a co-op game that way for sure.

It kind of makes me want to get into the Marvel side of things but I am not sure what the best order to buy stuff in is. I want Villains because... its rad, but from what I understand the Marvel versions definitely lack the narrative thread that in in the Alien game so I don't even know if it would be worth it. I have an imagination and all but the impressions that were given to me at least of the base box were that it felt more like running a board than playing through a story.

I would love impressions from anyone on here who plays/owns it and wants to give me pointers on the most needed buys/expansions.

Sweet, you and me both, I had 2 hours of sorting, with another guy helping out, we panicked like HELL when we thought a card was missing, for example, Deep Gash and Sentry Guns; we looked through every pile we made frantically, but realized that the cards were stuck to the backs of other cards somehow.

Either way, all cards were accounted for. WOO!

zulux21

Sweet, you and me both, I had 2 hours of sorting, with another guy helping out, we panicked like HELL when we thought a card was missing, for example, Deep Gash and Sentry Guns; we looked through every pile we made frantically, but realized that the cards were stuck to the backs of other cards somehow.

Either way, all cards were accounted for. WOO!

worst part is that missing cards with the company isn't uncommon. I had to get replacement cards for my dark city expansion for the marvel game and I have read reports of random missing cards on most of the sets :/

Ohnonono

worst part is that missing cards with the company isn't uncommon. I had to get replacement cards for my dark city expansion for the marvel game and I have read reports of random missing cards on most of the sets :/

They for sure have a reputation for missing cards.

joelseph

I would love impressions from anyone on here who plays/owns it and wants to give me pointers on the most needed buys/expansions.

I own all the deckbuilders!

Marvel Villains is the closest to Aliens. It has a higher challenge and narrative than the base. The art is much better too. If I was going to recommend a path I would say Villain, Dark City, Base, Guardians, FF

sasimirobot

Because of this thread I got into board gaming on 2014-04-13, about 9 months ago.

This is my current collection missing SKULL (got lost in a taxi, tragedy because I love that game), and Get Bit ( I gave it away to a kid for his B-day).

Oldest game Ticket to Ride, newest game Dead Man's Draw.

How am I doing, how would you rate my taste?
game_collection_zpsbb126b80.jpeg

Ohnonono

I own all the deckbuilders!

Marvel Villains is the closest to Aliens. It has a higher challenge and narrative than the base. The art is much better too. If I was going to recommend a path I would say Villain, Dark City, Base, Guardians, FF
Keep in mind I play ALL SOLO. I heard Villains had some cards that don't work well (or as well) solo. By the time I get to it Villains may have its own big box out like Dark City and maybe I will just go for that.

Because of this thread I got into board gaming on 2014-04-13, about 9 months ago.

This is my current collection missing SKULL (got lost in a taxi, tragedy because I love that game), and Get Bit ( I gave it away to a kid for his B-day).

I need Manilla in my life. That game is so much fun, it's a shame it's out of print.

Lyng

A lot of fantastic gateway games :)
Who do you mainly play with?

Blizzard

Banned
Well Imjust gonna post again my 2 player favorites, all of which get played to death and are still fun.

Jaipur
Targi
Hive
Patchwork
Strife

And yes Carcassonne works great as a 2 player game. I'd recommend getting the Big Bix right away. Carc is addicting and you'll want more soon.
This is a really obscure description so I am not sure if anyone will recognize it, but has anyone played a 2-player game involving a small London-esque city where one player is a detective, and another player is a criminal trying to hide/escape?

I feel like disguises were involved, and a few different powers. I never played it personally, but some friends seemed to like it. They would sometimes play it on the side if there were players left out of a bigger game.

This is a really obscure description so I am not sure if anyone will recognize it, but has anyone played a 2-player game involving a small London-esque city where one player is a detective, and another player is a criminal trying to hide/escape?

I feel like disguises were involved, and a few different powers. I never played it personally, but some friends seemed to like it. They would sometimes play it on the side if there were players left out of a bigger game.

Mr Jack, letters from whitechapel or scotland yard.

Xater

You are describing Mr. Jack.

Thanks. I don't quite recognize the gameboard, but that does seem to be the game. Analytical and 2-player only, might be fun if someone likes the concept.

There's also Mr Jack Pocket.

I finally played Loyang. I bought it on sale a couple of years ago when it was $15, and avoided until now, big mistake. Game is a blast with 2, can't wait to play some more.

Got a perfect set of Legendary Encounters: Alien. That was a bitch to sort and count but I was really happy when it all ended up being there. Played the Aliens scenario and got my ass whooped but it is for sure the best deck builder I have played imo. Super thematic and the scanning mechanic makes you LONG for the attack characters that can seem so useless early in most of those types of games. Its pretty brutal at least atm but I like a co-op game that way for sure.

It kind of makes me want to get into the Marvel side of things but I am not sure what the best order to buy stuff in is. I want Villains because... its rad, but from what I understand the Marvel versions definitely lack the narrative thread that in in the Alien game so I don't even know if it would be worth it. I have an imagination and all but the impressions that were given to me at least of the base box were that it felt more like running a board than playing through a story.

We played a ton of the Marvel one last night actually. It is pretty jumbled when it comes to Masterminds, Schemes, Villains and Heroes. Sometimes they go together and it's fantastic, but other times they are too random and makes on sense thematically.

We still have a blast with it every time though. We've only got the Dark City expansion at the moment. That adds some great heroes and masterminds. We're now looking at the GotG and Spiderman expansions to add to the party.

Looks like we might need to look at the Aliens game for a better theme experience but the Marvel game is great if you're a fan of Marvel.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just played Aliens for the first time last night. Caught a couple more small sorting mistakes! The game is not an intuitive one in terms of setup and even rules first play, but with that out of the way I imagine it will be quite smooth going forward. I got a Facehugger Turn 2 that turned into a Chestburster that killed me Turn 5. Some might be annoyed at this but I actually quite enjoyed it. Reminds me of the old UFC Dreamcast games where you could get a flash KO at any time. :p

Definitely printing and including the FAQ in box though. The mechanics are very simple but as with most of these games there are a lot of little rules/interactions questions that come up. Looking forward to playing again, though hope to try with three instead of two next time.

MjFrancis

I got my copies of Zombicide: Prison Outbreak and the Toxic City Mall expansion in the mail last week. Played a couple solo games of Prison Outbreak on the Tutorial Mission Map M00. Impressions are positive so far, even if the matches were a bit easy I look forward to soloing a few more missions and breaking it out for friends. It's a good casual game, right up my alley since it's a dude-on-a-board kind of experience. I used four survivors and my play time was under half the predicted length - but I'm sure that's assuming six players - decision-making is streamlined when I'm running the whole show by myself.

Given the random nature of the game I look forward to hitting a match where everything just goes horribly wrong.

Also worth noting is that the original Zombicide came back in stock on Amazon, so the price plummeted to $90 late last week and down to $66 today. If anyone was looking at making money off their copies they had a very short window to sell. I'd buy it now if I didn't have so much to work with already.

Phthisis

I've played Fleet several times in the last couple weeks, and every time I finish a game my respect for the design and enjoyment of the game climbs higher. I know the theme turns some people off, but I really think it and Race for the Galaxy are the two best tableau-building card games out there (especially if you had the Fleet expansion to the base game; dear lord it's good),.

Ohnonono

Just played Aliens for the first time last night. Caught a couple more small sorting mistakes! The game is not an intuitive one in terms of setup and even rules first play, but with that out of the way I imagine it will be quite smooth going forward. I got a Facehugger Turn 2 that turned into a Chestburster that killed me Turn 5. Some might be annoyed at this but I actually quite enjoyed it. Reminds me of the old UFC Dreamcast games where you could get a flash KO at any time. :p

Definitely printing and including the FAQ in box though. The mechanics are very simple but as with most of these games there are a lot of little rules/interactions questions that come up. Looking forward to playing again, though hope to try with three instead of two next time.

I took care of 2 facehuggers in my play but 2 double strike events and the acid exploding aliens eventually made my dude deader than all hell.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I took care of 2 facehuggers in my play but 2 double strike events and the acid exploding aliens eventually made my dude deader than all hell.

Yeah, so first turn my wife revealed an event that made us both draw strikes and I got the facehugger. Since it resolves after next turn (i.e., mine) basically since I still had my start cards I had zero chance of doing anything about it. :p Funny thing was I was the executive so it was kind of thematically funny the exec stumbling on to this ship and being the first to die, super fast. Wife was researcher which is crazy powerful late game but still died because of the self destruct getting pushed straight into combat zone by another event, leading to three strikes.

Ohnonono

Yeah, so first turn my wife revealed an event that made us both draw strikes and I got the facehugger. Since it resolves after next turn (i.e., mine) basically since I still had my start cards I had zero chance of doing anything about it. :p Funny thing was I was the executive so it was kind of thematically funny the exec stumbling on to this ship and being the first to die, super fast. Wife was researcher which is crazy powerful late game but still died because of the self destruct getting pushed straight into combat zone by another event, leading to three strikes.

As long as there is a good story to tell then I consider that game WELL PLAYED. It felt like the movie for sure. Just that I got swarmed and never made it out!

Karkador

Banned
I've played Fleet several times in the last couple weeks, and every time I finish a game my respect for the design and enjoyment of the game climbs higher. I know the theme turns some people off, but I really think it and Race for the Galaxy are the two best tableau-building card games out there (especially if you had the Fleet expansion to the base game; dear lord it's good),.

Interesting. How does it compare to the "every game is different" feel of Race for the Galaxy?

Phthisis

Interesting. How does it compare to the "every game is different" feel of Race for the Galaxy?

With only the base game, it's not even close. You play with the same core set of licenses (which grant bonus abilities to the players who have them) and corresponding boat cards. There are also some minor flaws with how stingy the game is with money and cards as resources, which can lead to some frustrating turns for people.

But when you add the stuff from the Arctic Bounty expansion, you get a whole bunch of variety. It gives you more licenses and boats (which have sufficiently interesting and different abilities than the base game stuff to make you want to use them), but it also fixes the problem of the game's economy by providing alternate and satisfying (and often thematic) workarounds to introduce some liquidity into the mechanics. For example, in the base game if you chose not to bid for a license on your turn, you got nothing, and it felt like a wasted turn. With the expansion Gone Fishing cards, failing or choosing not to bid on a license nets you two money you can use on any future turn (or keep to the end of the game for VPs), which makes not participating in the beginning of turn auction an actual strategy rather than kind of a "fuck you" by the game structure.

It's a much different game mechanically than RftG or San Juan, but it kind of scratches the same itch because it features tons of endless combinations for tableau building (with their own different types of cascading ability effects) and multiple legit paths to victory. Fun stuff.

Recently been trying to learn how to play Magic, despite not owning any cards.

But it got me thinking about board games again and how difficult it is making games of pure skill and relatively no luck.

I remember a year or two ago wanting to buy one of the train games like Age of Steam, but sadly I cant afford it at this point and have no one to play with. I'd love to play it one day.

Then I remember games like Agricola which also look fun and are available now on iOS.

It sucks that board games get so pricey because of print. But it's also interesting that some games come to mobiles now, where the ease of access and quickness make it pretty fun to get into.

Anyways, I started browsing board games and noticed "Terra Mystica" is a seemingly new game with supposedly little luck and lots of skill

Anyone play it?

With only the base game, it's not even close. You play with the same core set of licenses (which grant bonus abilities to the players who have them) and corresponding boat cards. There are also some minor flaws with how stingy the game is with money and cards as resources, which can lead to some frustrating turns for people.

But when you add the stuff from the Arctic Bounty expansion, you get a whole bunch of variety. It gives you more licenses and boats (which have sufficiently interesting and different abilities than the base game stuff to make you want to use them), but it also fixes the problem of the game's economy by providing alternate and satisfying (and often thematic) workarounds to introduce some liquidity into the mechanics. For example, in the base game if you chose not to bid for a license on your turn, you got nothing, and it felt like a wasted turn. With the expansion Gone Fishing cards, failing or choosing not to bid on a license nets you two money you can use on any future turn (or keep to the end of the game for VPs), which makes not participating in the beginning of turn auction an actual strategy rather than kind of a "fuck you" by the game structure.

It's a much different game mechanically than RftG or San Juan, but it kind of scratches the same itch because it features tons of endless combinations for tableau building (with their own different types of cascading ability effects) and multiple legit paths to victory. Fun stuff.

That sounds amazing. I watched Rahdo's runthrough of the game just now. The theme sounds so boring, but the mechanics look slick. Rahdo also mentioned that it's a gamer's game, which I'm all about, so this is definitely going on my wish list.

JSR_Cube

But it got me thinking about board games again and how difficult it is making games of pure skill and relatively no luck.

I remember a year or two ago wanting to buy one of the train games like Age of Steam, but sadly I cant afford it at this point and have no one to play with. I'd love to play it one day.

Then I remember games like Agricola which also look fun and are available now on iOS.

It sucks that board games get so pricey because of print. But it's also interesting that some games come to mobiles now, where the ease of access and quickness make it pretty fun to get into.

Anyways, I started browsing board games and noticed "Terra Mystica" is a seemingly new game with supposedly little luck and lots of skill

Anyone play it?

I own Terra Mystica. My personal opinion is that there isn't enough interaction for me. A lot of other people really like it. I just think that it's a 7.5/10 or so. Almost everything is public information so the luck of the draw is really just at the start.

If you haven't played it and don't mind something more abstract, Tigris and Euphrates has an iOS app and will be getting a Fantasy Flight Games reprint in the summer.

A couple of new kickstarters have started in the past couple of days:
Orleans
Conan
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Wallenstein

I backed Orleans and Tiny Epic Galaxies. I'll pass on Conan as I'm pretty much done with the $150 plastic mini games. I don't care for Queen's kickstarter policies but Wallenstein is a great game (I already own it though). Anyone else in on any of these? Any impressions of Orleans from one of the cons?

Anyone play it?

Luck make games fun, full open information games with no randomness or luck are a snorefest. I play games for fun, winning is just a goal I aim for while having fun.

You can play many of those games online for free and there are communities to coordinate with other players.

Good games come back in print or get replaced by better games.

Dreavus

There's nothing necessarily wrong with luck in games.

Richard Garfield (the creator of Magic: The Gathering) has given a lecture on Luck in games, which I think is pretty interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5Hf7uOu-o

IMO, there are a lot of fun games that incorporate luck.

I'll definitely check this out when I get home.

Luck definitely has it's place. My friends and I like to riff on games having better "player stories" (thanks, Ben Brode) when they involve more luck than other games. But despite this I think it does make for better stories, and in many cases better games.

Anyone play it?

You could try deck-builders like Dominion or Star Realms. Luck is still involved, but there are ways to minimize it based on how you construct your deck during the game. You could also try a game like Puerto Rico where there's practically no luck involved.

I agree with what others have said though, there's nothing wrong with having an element of luck in games, and I love games where the deciding factor between two equally skilled players is luck.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Zero-randomness games are almost like solo games -- there's definitely a devoted niche there although personally I completely hate them. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Zero-randomness games are almost like solo games -- there's definitely a devoted niche there although personally I completely hate them. :p
This discussion about zero-randomness ties into my thoughts and worries about making a turn-based strategy game for PC/consoles. I've really been planning to do 100% open information, zero-randomness. This has a huge advantage in that it makes play by mail / / email / message board / carrier pidgeon perfectly reliable, and cheating is 100% impossible without being detected.

Unfortunately, I fear that can result in the downsides mentioned. A game can be very sterile, or puzzle-like, or boring, or same-y without random elements.

This discussion about zero-randomness ties into my thoughts and worries about making a turn-based strategy game for PC/consoles. I've really been planning to do 100% open information, zero-randomness. This has a huge advantage in that it makes play by mail / / email / message board / carrier pidgeon perfectly reliable, and cheating is 100% impossible without being detected.

Unfortunately, I fear that can result in the downsides mentioned. A game can be very sterile, or puzzle-like, or boring, or same-y without random elements.

Depends on what you are aiming for. I can't see the play by mail market being very good though. This is also only relevant if you want to avoid having a server. I do like that you can make puzzle like scenarios, that's a big plus on my book.

You can always make that a toggle option since in games like advance wars the only randomness comes from the result of an attack. I find it a little frustrating when my units attack and miss but otherwise it does feel a little too safe.

Yeef

If you're looking for good games with low/no variance, check out Caylus and The Bridges of Shangri-La. Both are great games (Caylus especially).

Typically, for multiplayer (3 or more players) I don't mind low variance games, because your opponents act as a pseudo-variance. In 2-player games though, low variance tends to bore me.

Lyng

Anyone play it?

For what its worth I love Terra Mystica. The interaction in the game comes from trying to screw with the other players plans by blocking them off etc. Personally I think its one of the best games ever designet.
And it has a ton of flavour with the different races.
Yes it is a zero luck game, but in TM I would hate luck. I dont mind luck in games like Imperial Assault or LCG's, but in a game like TM I think a random element would ruin the game.

EYEL1NER

I played the DC Deckbuilding game last night for the first time and was pleasantly surprised by it. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I didn't get the chance to try my copy of Legendary while home but now I am really looking forward to it since the general consensus is that it is better than DC. It took longer than I expected though, which is going to be interesting when I start incorporating Crisis into it since that is supposed to further increase game length to excruciating times.
My only other real deck building experience is with Star Realms and it seemed that while the core DBG experience was there, the game still felt different from Star Realms. One of the other three guys I played with had also played Star Realms with me and said he preferred Star Realms due to increased attacking of other players,
Really looking forward to playing more games of it soon... I wish that Heroes Unite was an expansion rather than another core set and incorporated better into the first game, because Booster Gold and Kyle Rayner (in the upcoming Crisis 2 expansion for HU) and both people I want to play.

EDIT: Playing that also makes me want to step up my plans to get the Street Fighter DBG since it is part of the Cerberus engine. I'm afraid I won't be able to play it though since my coworker is a DC comics fan, which made him very interested in the DC DBG. I don't think he has even as close to the same interest in fighting games and Street Fighter as I do.

Yeef

EDIT: Playing that also makes me want to step up my plans to get the Street Fighter DBG since it is part of the Cerberus engine. I'm afraid I won't be able to play it though since my coworker is a DC comics fan, which made him very interested in the DC DBG. I don't think he has even as close to the same interest in fighting games and Street Fighter as I do.
You can just mix in some street fighter cards with the DC stuff. It's all compatible. It's rare, in my experience, to see anyone that has more than one Cerberus game to not customize the set they play with.

Lyng

So just bought Seasons. Swapped that in to my 10 x 10 games instead of Sun Tzu.

Cant wait to try it out. Looks like Magic esque game with resource management. Like Magic for Eurogamers.

Xater

I'd totally spend a game night with you.

Flynn

Caylus is awarded the prestigious title of Only Game I've Ever Not Finished.

Woof.

When the app came out I was never able to successful complete a game. I also blame Big Daddy's shitty servers.

Regardless, I still covet a copy of the Mike Doyle edition of Caylus.

Slacker

Caylus is a great game, but it's the kind of game that you really have to have a group of hardcore Caylus fans together to enjoy in my opinion. The app could have been a great way to accomplish that if it wasn't such a piece of dung. :(

devenger

Looking for game suggestions.

Picked up Parade, Boss Monster and Ghoooost. My 6 yr old and I play a lot of Love Letter, and I'm looking for another simple card game.

Top Bottom