• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Experien

What is up with Machi Koro's insane box insert? It has just over 100 cards and the box is huge! I decided for a convention this weekend to remove the insert and shove games into it. 2 Star Realms, 3 pub games, Coup, Dead Drop, coasters for Drunk Quest, Hive, and a few more...

Any reason to keep the insert?

What is up with Machi Koro's insane box insert? It has just over 100 cards and the box is huge! I decided for a convention this weekend to remove the insert and shove games into it. 2 Star Realms, 3 pub games, Coup, Dead Drop, coasters for Drunk Quest, Hive, and a few more...

Blame Stooge, it's his fault.

Be happy with the contents at least... the Dutch edition of Machi Koro has a tiny box but generic red dice, and ugly white borders around all the cards.

Last time I'm bying a localized version. I got burned by getting the Z-Man Games version of Pandemic in Dutch too, and now I can't get any expansions for this edition.

It's a pretty bad box and insert. Dices and cards just fly everywhere. Even with the expansion the box is too big.

Stooge mentioned that small games get ignored in retail, so the big box was a necessity.

Experien

There are 4 expansions already released in Japan iirc. Harbor is just hitting American shores now. The extra space is for the expansions.

Oooo, Harbor makes it 5 player. Shame I can't get that before this weekend. Oh well...suppose I should play the game first.

It's a pretty bad box and insert. Dices and cards just fly everywhere. Even with the expansion the box is too big.

Stooge mentioned that small games get ignored in retail, so the big box was a necessity.

Yeah, I am familiar with the philosophy of taking up shelf space. I think I might just keep the pretty box and shove my tiny games in it and trash the insert.

Yeah, I am familiar with the philosophy of taking up shelf space. I think I might just keep the pretty box and shove my tiny games in it and trash the insert.

I just wish more publishers would make small boxes with great inserts, I tend to gravitate towards simpler games because they take less space and are easier to carry around.

These square boxes are the worst, specially the big DoW style. Queen Games also has amazing design but their boxes are terrible.

I much prefer the book-shaped ones. I also love the gryphon bookshelf series and the kosmos 2p series. Great size and components. I mean, look at hellas so much game in one tiny box.

Karkador

Banned
There are 4 expansions already released in Japan iirc. Harbor is just hitting American shores now. The extra space is for the expansions.

It's two expansions, and the designer supposedly said he's done. I see maybe half of the box getting filled...I guess it would fill up if you sleeved?

I'm planning to use the Harbor Expansion box to hold the entire game. However, it seems the Harbor expansion has ...some more production problems. The new cards don't match the size of the old cards. *sigh* Can I finally be allowed to buy this game without feeling hesitation?

Be happy with the contents at least... the Dutch edition of Machi Koro has a tiny box but generic red dice, and ugly white borders around all the cards.

It looks like the German version, which I think looks pretty good. The generic dice don't seem to be better or worse than the US version's dice, and the original game was designed with the white borders.

It always gets mentioned, but I'm honestly not convinced that this is sound, well-researched reasoning in today's game industry.

It always gets mentioned, but I'm honestly not convinced that this is sound, well-researched reasoning in today's game industry.

For online game stores and people on BGG, I'd agree. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with a problem who owns a couple hundred games and instead of shrinking my collection I'm hoping for smaller boxes :D

But for regular retail, I see the appeal. A bigger box looks better as a gift and actually catches the eye of people. Would be great to see love letter sales to see how it sells in retail for such a small game.

Neverfade

Waiting with excitement for my box but now I kinda regret not going for the buildings and/or coins during the Kickstarter. Were they exclusive or?

I believe if you contact Uwe he can set it up to sell you those as long as he has some stock remaining.

It looks like the German version, which I think looks pretty good. The generic dice don't seem to be better or worse than the US version's dice, and the original game was designed with the white borders.

Is this the original?

pic1720441_md.jpg

I don't see the white borders there like I do here , but not that it matters that much, the borderless cards just look better to me :)

jasonng

So what vibes are you guys getting from Exploding Kittens? I'm a fan of the Oatmeal and it seems easy enough to appeal to my casual playing friends but I'm not too sold on the fun factor.

I usually wait for impressions until after the kickstarter campaign but I don't want to miss out on the NSFW pack if it is indeed fun. $35 is pretty pricey for a card game too.

www.explodingkittens.com
Kickstarter link

So what vibes are you guys getting from Exploding Kittens? I'm a fan of the Oatmeal and it seems easy enough to appeal to my casual playing friends but I'm not too sold on the fun factor.

I usually wait for impressions until after the kickstarter campaign but I don't want to miss out on the NSFW pack if it is indeed fun. $35 is pretty pricey for a card game too.

www.explodingkittens.com
Kickstarter link

It's going to be super simple from the gameplay description, so most hardcore gamers are going to hate it. Looks like a game similar to Poo and Nuts!, super simple party game for casual players.

I got it cause I love cats and the Oatmeal, but I don't expect much

I love cats and love the oatmeal, but from the description it looks super boring. They describe it as a Russian roulette with cards.

I got copies of two games I've wanted for a loooooong time. CV and Glory to Rome. Super exited to try them both.

Karkador

Banned
Spanish version, found a shop that imported copies from europe (I'm in south america now btw). I gave up on getting any english version of it.

On the upside, art is super pretty.

Yeah the European version looks pretty good. They took the cartoon look of the original and really cleaned it up. I don't know how anyone suffers that original version.

I'm happy I traded two games for my Black Box edition, though. The downside is that it is quite a fragile production. The cards shred pretty easily, so I sleeved them all and redid the insert.

www.explodingkittens.com
Kickstarter link

It looks terrible. Doesn't look fun at all. But that's just my opinion.

Karkador

Banned

www.explodingkittens.com
Kickstarter link

The game itself seems okay, but not really anything original that you can't already find and play.

Probably the worst part about it is that it's selling itself on the humor printed on the cards. There are two things that bug me about this:

1) The jokes are going to get old; there's no doubt about this. Rather than make the game a platform for you and your friends to arrive at humorous situations, the humor is just there, and even if you find it funny once or twice, it's only diminishing returns after that.

2) The marketing of "NSFW" games to casual gamers is just...misguided, IMO. I figure that the intended effect is to jolt people out of the idea that board games are Candyland (and this is a good thing), but it also feels like it's training people to not consider more innocuous-looking board games as a fun time.

Also, yeah, $20 for a 50-card game is a bit steep, especially when the replayability seems low.

Dreavus

It reminds me of "We didn't playtest this at all" in that it seems to be hinging it's humor on being "random" (your mileage may vary). I can't say I'm a fan. It's the kind of game I can envision playing a few times but I doubt it would have much of a lasting impact at all.

More power to those that enjoy it though!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I made the box huge just to upset board game players everywhere.

There are a few reasons for it:

1) It holds expansions and the insert was sized for sleeves. If you sleeve your cards it's about full with both expansions.
2) We have a number of standard box sizes that we stick to, this is one of them.
3) Shelving is one of the reasons for the decision, but primarily it was the standard size box that would hold the expansions well.

There is also not a production issue with the expansion. There was a problem with some of the first off the line copies of the base game that was corrected, but not caught before some copies got into distribution.

Hit up games@idwpublishing.com if there is an issue.

ultron87

It reminds me of "We didn't playtest this at all" in that it seems to be hinging it's humor on being "random" (your mileage may vary). I can't say I'm a fan. It's the kind of game I can envision playing a few times but I doubt it would have much of a lasting impact at all.

More power to those that enjoy it though!

I think Didn't Playtest This has an advantage in that it also funny on a mechanical level. It is random and arbitrary, but I really appreciate how purposefully it was designed to be that. Also, each game takes about 4 minutes which is critical for a game like this (which is the lesson stuff like Munchkin and Fluxx forget.)

Though this Cat game is probably too expensive at 35 bucks for a little silly filler game.

Karkador

Banned
There is also not a production issue with the expansion. There was a problem with some of the first off the line copies of the base game that was corrected, but not caught before some copies got into distribution.

Hit up games@idwpublishing.com if there is an issue.

Good on you guys for offering to fix it (and I bet you're tired as hell of hearing complaints about this game). I just wonder how feasible it is to repair. Are you sending people entirely new sets of cards?

Kitbash

I made it halfway through sleeving Legendary before giving up in frustration. Haven't played the game since because I don't know whether to sleeve the rest or undo it all.

The sleeves may have been low quality -- it was hard to open them without creasing them, which defeats the purpose. Never again!

hort

Neo Member
Sleeved cards are satisfying to shuffle.

And easier.

I wish I could sleeve all of my cards, but I would be compelled to use dragonsleeves on almost everything, and that would get expensive.

I'll probably end up doing it little by little over time.

daevv

I try to sleeve all my board games, even ones I have yet to play within the group. I don't plan on keeping all my games only the ones we play the most or I solo the most. I try to keep them all in top shape as I'll be trading or selling them down the road.

Bought my Gencon pass today! Getting excited! Have to give my login info to one of my friends who's going with me as I'll be in the middle of a 8 hour across province drive on Sunday and cannot enter the housing lotto. :)

Palmer_v1

I try to sleeve all my board games, even ones I have yet to play within the group. I don't plan on keeping all my games only the ones we play the most or I solo the most. I try to keep them all in top shape as I'll be trading or selling them down the road.

Bought my Gencon pass today! Getting excited! Have to give my login info to one of my friends who's going with me as I'll be in the middle of a 8 hour across province drive on Sunday and cannot enter the housing lotto. :)

This is my first year trying to attend Gencon, with a group of 5-6 friends, and this housing lotto does not inspire confidence in me.

Top Bottom