• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Xero

finally got my shipment in.

Mansions of madness
tragedy looper
mage knight lost legion
mice and mystics
shadows of brimstone.

Looking for game suggestions.

Picked up Parade, Boss Monster and Ghoooost. My 6 yr old and I play a lot of Love Letter, and I'm looking for another simple card game.

Is it only 2p? Brave rats. Sushi Go works ok with 2 but it's better with more.

Although not a card games, I'd recommend animal upon animal, blokus duo and hey that's my fish. Try my happy farm if you want to step it up a bit.

If you can get a third player, definitively get For Sale or Felix, the cat in the sack.

ultron87

Thoughts on the housing changes to GenCon 2015?

Updates here: http://www.gencon.com/attend/2015hotelchanges

Since we decided to stay Thursday night this year instead of just Friday/Saturday I'm happy about the minimum nightly stay thing for downtown hotels. Last year a huge problem during hotel registration was stuff being booked for just Friday night.

I'm skeptical of the lottery for hotel room registration order. I feel like this means I'm going to need to get my whole group to be online when registration opens to get the best chance at the room we want. That might be better than the disaster that last year was though, since a purposeful random lottery is better than the random lottery of refreshing a bunch and filling out forms that then don't actually get submitted.

Updates here: http://www.gencon.com/attend/2015hotelchanges

Since we decided to stay Thursday night this year instead of just Friday/Saturday I'm happy about the minimum nightly stay thing for downtown hotels. Last year a huge problem during hotel registration was stuff being booked for just Friday night.

I'm skeptical of the lottery for hotel room registration order. I feel like this means I'm going to need to get my whole group to be online when registration opens to get the best chance at the room we want. That might be better than the disaster that last year was though, since a purposeful random lottery is better than the random lottery of refreshing a bunch and filling out forms that then don't actually get submitted.

Yup. About to email my group about it. We've been relying on one of our on-point guys doing this for us every year, but his lottery ball might be higher than one of the others in our group. I hope they email us the numbers somewhat before the day of housing registration

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really do want to go to GenCon one day but it seems like more and more of a PitA each year. :p

I just hope BGG.Con improves their table space this year so I can keep making that my annual Con.

Played an insane game of 6-player 7 Wonders the other night with all of the expansions, including both modules of Babel. Surprisingly, Rome was the only non-Base wonder board in the game. Here's how it looked after:

5Hx3THw.jpg

The top three scores were 68, 67, and 66, and I have to say that it was so much fun despite the chaos.

daevv

Played a couple of games of Paperback with my wife yesterday. What people say about it replacing Scrabble is very true. Great game! Looking forward to a 3 or 4 player game hopefully this weekend. She never heard the word deckbuilder before and thought the mechanic was great. I'm gonna show her Dominion one of these nights. We also played The Castle Detective card game. For a luck of the draw set collection game it's not great by no means but it's not bad either. Being a very short game helps.

I received my missing Red player board and coins today in the mail for Sheriff of Nottingham. Super fast and friendly customer service from Arcane Wonders. 11 days from email to the door (Texas to Canada). The game was a hit with my group too. I should make a thread praising them on BGG. :)

I'm currently learning how to play Imperial Settlers, Lost Legends, and Pacific Typhoon to get one or two of them to the table next game night. It'll probably still be a Sheriff and Coup night though heh.

Dreavus

Has anyone played Shinobi Clans yet?

I picked it up on a whim. We've only played once so far, and it was pretty funny watching our priorities all change at the same time. The game is a drafting game where you are drafting cards to help protect or defend a target. There is 1 more target than the number of players, and you choose 2 "contracts" before you draft anything (whether you will kill or defend a target) After drafting you take turns putting cards face down onto different targets, which either contribute to killing them, protecting them, or messing with the score they give out. The idea is supposed to be that you don't be super obvious about where you are playing all your cards because potential opposing contracts could try and match you. The art is pretty great too.

In our game, Round 1 everyone went for the big point targets (of course!), which lead to the pot being split several ways. Round 2 everyone went for the smaller targets thinking they can get a bigger share, but the same thing ends up happening as round 1 but with even less payout. Round 3 things roughly went back to Round 1 thinking because some players are trying to make up for Round 2!

The game seems like it has a lot going on, but by the end I found that what targets you choose before even touching any of the draft cards is a pretty huge deal, maybe even too much so. Even if you assemble a great hand, if you're outnumbered on one contract and splitting the other one 4 ways, you are not going to be coming out ahead. It was fun, but I'm trying to think about how playing sneaky helps you. It's what the game encourages but since no one can change their contracts I'm having a hard time seeing the reason for focusing on that. Definitely warrants another play now that we kind of know what is going on, but I'm still trying to come up with ways to play out the card laying portion advantageously, since that's what you spend most of the game doing.

ultron87

Anyone see this WSJ article?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-packers-of-catan-green-bays-board-game-obsession-1421346102

Next OT will need a packers-approved Seal of Approval for the Catan mention.

Ha, that's cool. This paragraph made me laugh:

The rules of the game can be complex—making it all the funnier that the Packers have embraced it. Players must build “settlements” on hexagonal tiles using “resources” like brick or ore. The more you build, the more points you get, until one player reaches 10 points.

Woah woah woah, "resources"? Slow down there Deep Blue.

Blizzard

Banned
WSJ said:
“Everyone is super competitive, so when you first start playing they don’t tell you all the rules. So you start your moves and they say ‘well, actually you can’t do that’ and it sort of screws you in the game,” Gerhart said. “They get very salty.”
I think I've played with that kind of player before, sort of. :p

Yeef

Played Zombicide (Prison Break) tonight. It was a ton of fun. Mechanically, it very much feels like a well-refined version of Last Night on Earth.

Played an insane game of 6-player 7 Wonders the other night with all of the expansions, including both modules of Babel. Surprisingly, Rome was the only non-Base wonder board in the game. Here's how it looked after:

The top three scores were 68, 67, and 66, and I have to say that it was so much fun despite the chaos.

I love me a round of 7 Wonders. :D
Such a fun game.

Yeah great game. And it scales so brilliantly with most playercounts.

The best thing about it is the fact that there is no down time, you don't sit there waiting for everyone to have their go. Sure some people play faster than others, but you know what I mean...

Neverfade

I played Relic tonight, and much to my surprise, I didn't hate it.

The tweaks and additions to the Talisman system really turned it into something much more tolerable to me.

Lyng

The best thing about it is the fact that there is no down time, you don't sit there waiting for everyone to have their go. Sure some people play faster than others, but you know what I mean...

Exactly. This is one of those rare games simoultanous play actually works.

Blizzard

Banned
This is one of the things I like about Libertalia too. If I ever get around to posting more pictures and mini-reviews, I definitely plan to include that one.

EYEL1NER

Pandemic: The Cure arrived last night! Didn't get to try it though because a coworker has been trying to get me to play Warmachine/Hordes with him and another guy so I finally said yes but then decided to just watch them play a game to get a feel for how it works. I also had a super-huge amount of MtG cards show up so I started popping open those packs. I honestly didn't expect either of those to arrive; I was planning on getting three other people together and playing Bang: The Dice Game, Alien Frontiers, and maybe King of Tokyo (still haven't read the rules for KoNY).
I plan on taking some rule books to work with me tonight. Need to read up on Pandemic: The Cure, Mage Wars, Yomi, King of New York, and Warmachine/Hordes.

I played Relic tonight, and much to my surprise, I didn't hate it.

The tweaks and additions to the Talisman system really turned it into something much more tolerable to me.

What they change? We like Talisman for simple laid back casual game day with the more casual players, but be interested in something improved

It's here!
They emailed me asking me if I wanted to buy the other buildings for the expansions (I initially just bought the first set of buildings and declined the others) since all the buildings were all packaged together and they didn't want to seperate them. I told them no, but looking at how the buildings are packaged I think my copy might be delayed while they figure out what to do. Oh well.

Xero

Got the shadows of brimstone characters put together . I'm not a big miniature guy outside of board games so this was my first time putting them together. Pretty disappointed with the quality and detail though. Many preassembled ones look better then these even other flying frog minis look better. Haven't played it yet but if this is the case for all expansions for it I may just buy prebuilt ones online to use. Not my thing putting these together I will say

Palmer_v1

Got the shadows of brimstone characters put together . I'm not a big miniature guy outside of board games so this was my first time putting them together. Pretty disappointed with the quality and detail though. Many preassembled ones look better then these even other flying frog minis look better. Haven't played it yet but if this is the case for all expansions for it I may just buy prebuilt ones online to use. Not my thing putting these together I will say

I put mini's together for warmachine all the time, and can say that the Brimstone ones were easier than that, but definitely had issues. You need super glue and some snips at a minimum. The most egregious issue is the characters have very small contact points to glue them to their bases with. TON of overhang on the larger models too.

If I was really anal about it, I'd be going back with a lot of gap filler, and a heat lamp to bend some pieces together better.

Pandemic: The Cure arrived last night! Didn't get to try it though because a coworker has been trying to get me to play Warmachine/Hordes with him and another guy so I finally said yes but then decided to just watch them play a game to get a feel for how it works. I also had a super-huge amount of MtG cards show up so I started popping open those packs. I honestly didn't expect either of those to arrive; I was planning on getting three other people together and playing Bang: The Dice Game, Alien Frontiers, and maybe King of Tokyo (still haven't read the rules for KoNY).
I plan on taking some rule books to work with me tonight. Need to read up on Pandemic: The Cure, Mage Wars, Yomi, King of New York, and Warmachine/Hordes.

Hope you enjoy Warmachine/Hordes. I started playing it about 2 years ago and pretty much own 3 complete factions now. Play twice a week.

Dragoshi1

Hey guys, which of the D&D board games should I get?

Only gonna get one, for now, but searching for opinions is tough, since they're all extremely biased.

This game I want to play only with my siblings instead of my group of friends, my brother who is 17, and my sister who is 10.

We all enjoy DUNGEON!, and play it frequently, but now I wanna delve into one of the three D&D board games now.

So, which of these is a good starter and easier to learn for a kid?

Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ash'
Legend of Drizzt

Any pros or cons among them would be sweet too.

hort

Neo Member

Only gonna get one, for now, but searching for opinions is tough, since they're all extremely biased.

This game I want to play only with my siblings instead of my group of friends, my brother who is 17, and my sister who is 10.

We all enjoy DUNGEON!, and play it frequently, but now I wanna delve into one of the three D&D board games now.

Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ash'
Legend of Drizzt

I have Castle Ravenloft, but not the others, so I can't give concrete information on those.

Ravenloft is (I believe) the first of the three, and does not have some more complex mechanics that show up in the later two.

The theme is, of course, the dungeon of a castle, with vampires, bone dragons, skeletons, wraiths, etc etc.

Rules are fairly simple to learn, especially if you have some knowledge of DnD before hand. It is much, much simpler than DnD though, so you wont have to do any complicated math.

There should be 15-20 campaign missions in each one, with different objectives and dangers in each of them.

I liked Ravenloft, but one of the other two might be a better game since they had time to refine some of the mechanics.

Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ash'
Legend of Drizzt

Ravenloft has the least amount of mechanics since it was first but it's also the hardest imo because of that same reason. Plus there's one environment which is "spooky castle"

Wrath adds some new stuff but nothing extra complicated, just more options. It also is probably the best of the 3. Drizzt is good if you like that character and his crew. No Cleric though so it can also be challenging. The characters are stronger than the other 2 because of that reason though

Dragoshi1

Does Drizzt come with the large ice dragon?

A while back in 2010(maybe?) I had gotten a similar named set that came with a large figure of the dragon, and a drizzt and some other guy figure, and was that D&D miniatures battle game in essence, but I recall liking the dragon the most.

Wrath comes with that red dragon, which is an auto hit, as we each love the fantasy trope creatures, and the undead theme may be ok from CR, but I think it'll be a bit scary to the younger one.

So I'm leaning heavily towards Wrath, the only thing left is to figure out where the hell I buy it, most likely amazon.

I'll buy CR next week, followed by Drizzt, that way I at least have them all. Are they compatible with each other? Like, mix creatures and tiles from all 3?

Experien

Yeah, the minis are super disappointing. I am not a putter together but using their vids on their YouTube channel helped cleared some issues. Not sure what their whole thing about larger figures cause they are the same size as zombicide (at least the characters) with less details. They aren't as bad as Zpocalypse but left me underwhelmed.

Luckily the game is quite difficult (if you play by the rules) and quite fun!

Phthisis

I'll buy CR next week, followed by Drizzt, that way I at least have them all. Are they compatible with each other? Like, mix creatures and tiles from all 3?

Yeah, and you can actually thematically tie groups of enemies into each one. I removed the kobolds from Ravenloft (which was a weird choice) and put them into Ashardalon since that one has kobolds up the wazoo. Then I took the cultists from Ashardalon and put them into Ravenloft (because that is way more thematic than kobolds in a haunted vampire castle).

The only extra thing is that adds the poison mechanic to Ravenloft, but it's only one enemy type so I don't mind too much. But yeah, mix and match to your heart's content.

Neverfade

What they change? We like Talisman for simple laid back casual game day with the more casual players, but be interested in something improved

It's been a long time since I've played Talisman, but I believe missions are new, power cards give more control over dice rolls, "dying" is a small setback, and not so crippling (although the other mechanic, becoming corrupted IS a huge setback -- probably something we'll house rule to lessen the blow), the logistics of the character boards is nice, reducing token fiddlyness, there's several scenarios to change up the end game and sprinkle in different rules per game, the threat icons to draw cards are divided into three decks that focus mostly on specific enemy types (though there are exceptions in each deck) so you can reduce getting hosed with a fight of a stat you're shitty in, etc, etc.

Essentially it just streamlined things while giving you more small choices.
Again, I'm so far removed from Talisman to know if it'd be worth an upgrade if you're invested in that system, or if my tastes have just changed (probably some of this), but everyone had fun (curse those exploding dice!).

Xero

Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ash'
Legend of Drizzt

I own ravenloft and drizzt, and I'd recommend drizzt. Its a lot more forgiving. Ravenloft can just be annoying hard at times with next to nothing you can do about it. The encounter deck is my biggest problem with the game, where some cards come out and you simply take damage with nothing you can do to avoid it. Drizzt doesn't have a good spread of character classes, but I feel its a much more streamlined and fun game. That said with both sets its easy to combine into your own adventures.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got my Kickstarter a few weeks back for DDay Sergeants, which is a smaller scale board game version of Sergeants Miniatures (and therefore also less expensive).

I'm a fan of the card driven gameplay and the unique soldiers you get with game. When the game becomes available to non Kickstarters I recommend it.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally played my first game of Dream Heist, which was my first Kickstarter-backed game. The briefcase had some bowing and at least one dent on the side(s), but when I emailed pictures to the makers, they were very helpful, reported it to USPS insurance (apparently shipping damage), and are shipping me a new blank briefcase that I can get engraved.

The game itself is creative, and I like the mission descriptions. Unfortunately it seems to come down to a ton of dice rolling and card drawing. There does not seem to be a lot of potential for strategy as far as I can tell. Pictures and further details to come.

fenners

I finally played my first game of Dream Heist, which was my first Kickstarter-backed game. The briefcase had some bowing and at least one dent on the side(s), but when I emailed pictures to the makers, they were very helpful, reported it to USPS insurance (apparently shipping damage), and are shipping me a new blank briefcase that I can get engraved.

The game itself is creative, and I like the mission descriptions. Unfortunately it seems to come down to a ton of dice rolling and card drawing. There does not seem to be a lot of potential for strategy as far as I can tell. Pictures and further details to come.

Didn't people warn ya? Glad they took care of you though!

Top Bottom