• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Ohnonono

Well I didn't expect there to be another D&D Board Game since it's around 4 years ago that The Legend of Drizzt came out, but here it is, sporting the new logo but still compatible with the three previous games and Dungeon Command.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/board-games/temple-elemental-evil

l99rj4I.png

EXCITE.

EYEL1NER

Well I didn't expect there to be another D&D Board Game since it's around 4 years ago that The Legend of Drizzt came out, but here it is, sporting the new logo but still compatible with the three previous games and Dungeon Command.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/board-games/temple-elemental-evil

l99rj4I.png
I've only played a couple games of Ashardalon and Ravenloft and haven't played my copy of Drizzt but I suppose I'll have to get this to go with them. Too had the box art is so radically different and that it doesn't appear to be under the D&D Adventure Game label though.

I've only played a couple games of Ashardalon and Ravenloft and haven't played my copy of Drizzt but I suppose I'll have to get this to go with them. Too had the box art is so radically different and that it doesn't appear to be under the D&D Adventure Game label though.

I think the new art/logo is to bring it in line with other 5th Edition stuff, as the previous games were made during the reign of 4th Edition?

Not sure if the actual board game rules will follow suit, I guess they'll be very similar to the three board games from 2010 and 2011.

I think the new art/logo is to bring it in line with other 5th Edition stuff, as the previous games were made during the reign of 4th Edition?

Not sure if the actual board game rules will follow suit, I guess they'll be very similar to the three board games from 2010 and 2011.

Yea it's branded to match the current D&D merchandise. Previous D&D games were done to match the 4th edition branding.

daevv

I was hoping the new D&D game would continue with famous characters from books or games. Would of loved a Pool of Radiance, Dragonlance, or Eye of the Beholder theme.

Krash

Neo Member
Hey folks. Thought I'd poke my head in here to say hello and gloat about my recent success in introducing board games to my family.

We recently had a get-together and I managed to get Splendor, Machi Koro, and Stone Age to the table over the course of a couple days. All of them were hits, and they've asked me to bring some other games the next time we manage to see each other.

Best of all, though, was getting a text from my Dad the other day, "so...what was that one game we played with the heavy chips? Going to pick it up". Feels good to be an ambassador.

Thanks to all of you in this thread, though. Tons of great recommendations and reasons to part with my money!

Mista Koo

Just ordered Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Concept and Space Cadets: Dice Duel.
Aside from the first it was kind of an impulse purchase. I just want to have certain types of game experiences while I still have a regular gaming group, even if it means the games might only be played a handful of times.

I also have Coloretto and Kakerlaken Poker Royal on the way. I regret buying these more since I have way too many small fillers.

Xater

Hey folks. Thought I'd poke my head in here to say hello and gloat about my recent success in introducing board games to my family.

We recently had a get-together and I managed to get Splendor, Machi Koro, and Stone Age to the table over the course of a couple days. All of them were hits, and they've asked me to bring some other games the next time we manage to see each other.

Best of all, though, was getting a text from my Dad the other day, "so...what was that one game we played with the heavy chips? Going to pick it up". Feels good to be an ambassador.

Thanks to all of you in this thread, though. Tons of great recommendations and reasons to part with my money!

Oh that is great to hear. We truly are living in the golden age of board games with something for everyone as your example has clearly shown.

Had a blast again tonight with Marvel Legendary. We also finished off the night with Galaxy Trucker. Such a great game and I wish I got more chances to play it.

As I'm currently going through selling some games due to changing tastes/game group and need to cull the collection, I was wondering how you guys determine which games to keep.

Do you keep games based on how much you love them? (aka "I really love Earth Reborn but I know I'll NEVER get it to the table again")

Or, do you tend to keep games based on how much your group plays them? (aka "I really think Sentinels of the Multiverse is boring but my gaming group wants to play it every single week")

What about rarity? When Game X turns out to be out of print, do you hold onto it or use that as the perfect time to sell?

Karkador

Banned
I try to keep a variety of games in my collection, so I try to get rid of redundancies, or keep games that do their thing better than another game.

I don't mind keeping unplayed games that much, because I feel like I'll want them for the occasion where they will get played. But I suppose they are unplayed for a reason, so I try to examine why that is.
Sometimes, you can fix that situation instead of selling it.

JSR_Cube

I keep a variety of games so I have games for all ages, co-op, game length, players supported, etc. I have about 30% that I love that get very little play but the other 70% get a lot of play. Usually after a couple of games I know if I am going to keep a game in my collection long term.

Experien

Playing more Imperial Assault tonight, any body got good tips for being the Imperials? Also "Open" slots can literally be anybody?

i like the game but doesn't feel like I'm doing much. The Rebels say they are terrified of me but I don't see it. I feel like I can't do much damage and can just stand in the way.

Neverfade

Playing more Imperial Assault tonight, any body got good tips for being the Imperials? Also "Open" slots can literally be anybody?

Anyone except Villains. You can only use those when you unlock them or the mission says otherwise.

i like the game but doesn't feel like I'm doing much. The Rebels say they are terrified of me but I don't see it. I feel like I can't do much damage and can just stand in the way.

Standing in the way is good. The rebels are very frequently working against the clock. You can win many missions just holding out long enough.

hort

Neo Member
So FFG uploaded the rules for the new Gates of Arkham expansion for Elder Sign.

A little disappointed that you can't use any of the new adventure cards with the regular game. I was expecting this to be the case, but had an ounce of hope. I don't know how they would incorporate them into the regular game, having a different back and all, but I was hoping for some way that allowed for it.

I still think the streets of arkham game mode will be great, but wish I didn't have to split the cards up into "Streets" and "Museum" game modes. It almost feels like a new game at this point, which if its good, won't be bad, but doesn't feel as much like an "Expansion" than I thought it would.

I dunno, maybe I'm over reacting, I'll probably love it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ooof.

Got a super nasty e-mail in my inbox from someone who doesn't like the board design for Fire and Axe. It turns out that I don't care about gamers guys :(

I guess I have to ban all of y'all now.

Neverfade

Ooof.

Got a super nasty e-mail in my inbox from someone who doesn't like the board design for Fire and Axe. It turns out that I don't care about gamers guys :(

Good sign you're doing something right. I find that BGG consistantly has terrible taste in art.

Edit: I think the board looks dope.

Ooof.

Saw some people complaining about it on bgg. Emailing you about it is next level.

I was reading a random forum and stumbled upon this, terrible.

Karkador

Banned
I took a look at the board after reading this here. The design is rather unconventional, but it does make more sense when I read that the game takes place on the water.

Personally, I probably would have tweaked a few things, but it seems fine. Some people on BGG are crazy (and I say this as a person who tends to criticize board game art).

I took a look at the board after reading this here. The design is rather unconventional, but it does make more sense when I read that the game takes place on the water.

Personally, I probably would have tweaked a few things, but it seems fine. Some people on BGG are crazy (and I say this as a person who tends to criticize board game art).

I think it's pretty ugly. Sending a personal nasty email is on another level though.

Xero

the artwork for ascension gets shit on there too, but i think it looks great. Like medieval tarot or something.

Cerity

How much the does the skullport expansion add to Lords of Waterdeep in terms of gameplay? I picked up the base game and have played it with 3 different groups and none of us were really feeling it, maybe it because of how we look at the game but it just feels really... loose in terms of gameplay.

People jumping buildings/locations before you is just a short detour and the mandatory quests don't take that long, especially mid to late game. I want to like the game and it seems like a lot of fun when others play it...

carlos

Fellow board gamers, I'm in need of some assistance:

My brother bought the Yugioh capsule monsters board game, which is apparently pretty rare, and it came in the mail from Europe ripped and missing the instructions....

Has anyone here played it or have any idea how it is supposed to be played? The rules are not the same as in the PS2 capsule monster game.

I tried boardgamegeek, but the board there is abandoned; any help would be appreciated!

Var

The kickstarter for Deadlands Cackler graphic novel has a Doomtown alternate art promo card listed as one of the stretch goals...guess I am going to have to back it now.

Karkador

Banned
Fellow board gamers, I'm in need of some assistance:

My brother bought the Yugioh capsule monsters board game, which is apparently pretty rare, and it came in the mail from Europe ripped and missing the instructions....

Has anyone here played it or have any idea how it is supposed to be played? The rules are not the same as in the PS2 capsule monster game.

I tried boardgamegeek, but the board there is abandoned; any help would be appreciated!

I googled around. The search seemed hopeless, because it looks like the creator of the game (Mattel) has pretty much erased any association with this game.

However, I found the game rules immortalized in a very funny place:

The patent for the game!

Save this PDF!

If you scroll down the document, Page 7 pretty much looks like a copy/paste of the rulesheet, including setup and all that stuff.

Let us know if it helps!

Karkador

Banned
Also on the Yugioh-related search for those rules, I found out that the Yugioh people are releasing a new set called "PREMIUM GOLD : Return of the Bling". Amazing name.

Also! If you're interested in playing a Yugioh-related collectable game, Yu-Gi-Oh Dice Masters just came out.

Dragoshi1

Also on the Yugioh-related search for those rules, I found out that the Yugioh people are releasing a new set called "PREMIUM GOLD : Return of the Bling". Amazing name.

Also! If you're interested in playing a Yugioh-related collectable game, Yu-Gi-Oh Dice Masters just came out.

Is there a tutorial/let's play video for Yugioh Dice Masters?

I've been looking at it, but have been intimidated by all of the dice, and not understanding the pdf of the rule book they have on their site.

Xater

Man I am so pumped for Specter ops. Gah it kills me that there is no announcement yet for a release here but I guess I should expect that because it's not even out in US yet. Hopefully it will be out here once it's time for Essen. Same goes for Roll through the Galaxy. Positive impressions here and on BGG make me want to play it and I am not a big dice game guy.

Is there a tutorial/let's play video for Yugioh Dice Masters?

I've been looking at it, but have been intimidated by all of the dice, and not understanding the pdf of the rule book they have on their site.

I haven't seen any for yugioh specifically but if you watch the marvel dice masters videos on YouTube you'll get a sense for the gameplay.

Mista Koo

Lost Forbidden Desert again, although this time we were just a couple of turns away from winning.

Also played Cosmic Encounter the most douchy way possible, backstabbing from the first turn for no reason, casually asking if someone had my flare and then stealing it from them. It was fun but evil. Ended up losing due to one flare causing a joint victory.

Xater

Lost Forbidden Desert again, although this time we were just a couple of turns away from winning.

Also played Cosmic Encounter the most douchy way possible, backstabbing from the first turn for no reason, casually asking if someone had my flare and then stealing it from them. It was fun but evil. Ended up losing due to one flare causing a joint victory.

Backstabbing in games is fun. Nothing to be ashamed of.

carlos

I googled around. The search seemed hopeless, because it looks like the creator of the game (Mattel) has pretty much erased any association with this game.

However, I found the game rules immortalized in a very funny place:

The patent for the game!

Save this PDF!

If you scroll down the document, Page 7 pretty much looks like a copy/paste of the rulesheet, including setup and all that stuff.

Let us know if it helps!

Just now saw your post.
People like you make me proud to be a GAF member even after almost 10 years :)

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! I won't ask how you came about the patent, but man, that was an ingenious thing to do.

I skimmed over the pdf and yeah, looks like the rules starting on page 7; I'll pass it on to my brother to see if everything is good to go.

You have my eternal gratitude, sir

Karkador

Banned
Just now saw your post.
People like you make me proud to be a GAF member even after almost 10 years :)

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! I won't ask how you came about the patent, but man, that was an ingenious thing to do.

I skimmed over the pdf and yeah, looks like the rules starting on page 7; I'll pass it on to my brother to see if everything is good to go.

You have my eternal gratitude, sir

I'm glad to have helped. Honestly, I've never played a Yugioh game, but this one looks pretty fun.

It was after a lot of looking around on Mattel and Konami's websites; I eventually searched for "Yugioh Capsule Monsters pdf -episode -playstation", with those last two terms being there to weed out results about the anime series, and the PS2 game.

Is there any other good games that have the same (or similar) mechanics as Star Wars X-Wing?

I like the dial system and the simple movement templates. Everything is just simple to learn and play, so the real enjoyment is the actual tactics of playing.

Phthisis

Is there any other good games that have the same (or similar) mechanics as Star Wars X-Wing?

I like the dial system and the simple movement templates. Everything is just simple to learn and play, so the real enjoyment is the actual tactics of playing.

Dungeons & Dragon Attack Wing is the same system but with dragons. And ground units. And elevation change. I haven't played it but it looks super sweet.

Star Trek Attack Wing is kind of like X-Wing (same rules), but the scope is a little smaller. Makes sense since it's capital ships against each other. There's also some Star Trek-y chrome to the rules. The models are widely considered to be the weakest of the various implementations of the system.

Sails of Glory is a Napoleonics-era game about naval combat using the same core rules as X-Wing, but really turns the complexity up (with the full rules) by introducing different ammo types for your cannons, wind (which affects your maneuvers), and crew members. The ship models are really nice.

Wings of War/Wings of Glory is a WWII-era fighter plane game that actually pioneered the Flight Path ruleset that X-Wing uses. Never played it, so not too familiar with the ins and outs. It's published by the same company that publishes Sails of Glory (Ares Games out of Italy).

Someone let me know if I'm missing one.

Xater

Dungeons & Dragon Attack Wing is the same system but with dragons. And ground units. And elevation change. I haven't played it but it looks super sweet.

Star Trek Attack Wing is kind of like X-Wing (same rules), but the scope is a little smaller. Makes sense since it's capital ships against each other. There's also some Star Trek-y chrome to the rules. The models are widely considered to be the weakest of the various implementations of the system.

Sails of Glory is a Napoleonics-era game about naval combat using the same core rules as X-Wing, but really turns the complexity up (with the full rules) by introducing different ammo types for your cannons, wind (which affects your maneuvers), and crew members. The ship models are really nice.

Wings of War/Wings of Glory is a WWII-era fighter plane game that actually pioneered the Flight Path ruleset that X-Wing uses. Never played it, so not too familiar with the ins and outs. It's published by the same company that publishes Sails of Glory (Ares Games out of Italy).

Isn#t the upcoming Star Wars Armada also based on this system?

Woah. Awesome, thank you for this.

Keep in mind that the wizkids implementations of the system involve all of the normal wizkids shenanigans involving exclusive overpowered figures that you can only win at tournaments. Star trek even went so far as to have exclusive blind booster ships for playing in tournaments.

Deadstar

What's the consensus on Cosmic Encounter? Is it one of the worst games ever played or is it worth buying? Seems cool from the videos I've been watching. Apparently a reprint is happening in a week or so? Amazon doesn't have it on prime yet.

Top Bottom