• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Phthisis

Isn#t the upcoming Star Wars Armada also based on this system?

Ah yes. I think it's probably the biggest departure from the Flight Path system, but it is using the "measure your ship movement and firing distance with this template" core idea from what I understand.

Yeef

What's the consensus on Cosmic Encounter? Is it one of the worst games ever played or is it worth buying? Seems cool from the videos I've been watching. Apparently a reprint is happening in a week or so? Amazon doesn't have it on prime yet.
Cosmic Encounter is an okay games, but it's on the lighter side. The majority of the gameplay is akin to rock, paper, scissor (in card form) but the different racial traits are what make things interesting. I own it and play it maybe once to thrice a year. There are definitely better games to be had.

Deadstar

Cosmic Encounter is an okay games, but it's on the lighter side. The majority of the gameplay is akin to rock, paper, scissor (in card form) but the different racial traits are what make things interesting. I own it and play it maybe once to thrice a year. There are definitely better games to be had.

Like what for example? One of the things that sounded fun about cosmic is that each player has a different power. I really like games that have that mechanic.

joelseph

What's the consensus on Cosmic Encounter? Is it one of the worst games ever played or is it worth buying? Seems cool from the videos I've been watching. Apparently a reprint is happening in a week or so? Amazon doesn't have it on prime yet.

Classic game everyone should own. Also extremely misunderstood. People that don't like the game often aren't grasping the mechanics well enough.

You mentioning you like the mechanic of everyone having a completely different power seals the deal. You must get this game. There are 150+ aliens each with a super unique playstyle.

I suggest watching Tom Vassel's Top 10 favorite Cosmic Encounter Aliens. It will raise your hype levels into the cosmos.

ultron87

I like Cosmic a lot. My favorite part is the mechanic of player self balancing. Someone can get an Alien power that is absolutely busted and the rest of the table has to play to try and counter that while still not giving too much opportunity for winning to any one player. It has fun negotiation and bluffing as well. As an fan of weird interactions I really love how the mechanics all mesh together when there are multiple weird alien powers popping off along with flare cards.

There is a bit too much reliance on getting a good random hand of cards (ie sometimes you can get stuck with a hand full of Negotiates while your neighbor has 50 and 100 strength attack cards and cards that counter other cards) but it all kind of works in this crazy mixed up soup where you have to adapt to the hand that fate has dealt you.

When you play it you do need to try and make sure people actually talk to each other. If everyone just kind of bottles up during Cosmic instead of interacting it can get pretty dry.

Cosmic encounter is a classic. My only complaint is that some people are unable to grasp it at all and that sometimes the alien combinations you get make the game go really long. Cosmic encounter is at it's best when it's short so that you can play another round with new aliens.

Ah yes. I think it's probably the biggest departure from the Flight Path system, but it is using the "measure your ship movement and firing distance with this template" core idea from what I understand.

That's found in pretty much every miniature game. For the most part, the system is completely new for Armada and bit more complex of a game.

Yeef

Like what for example? One of the things that sounded fun about cosmic is that each player has a different power. I really like games that have that mechanic.
If that's what you're looking for, then Cosmic Encounter is probably a fine choice. Some other games where each player has different abilities that I enjoy more:

Terra Mystica
Imperial Settlers
Eclipse
7 Wonders

Eclipse does take a long time to play and 7 Wonders is ideal with 5, in my opinion, even though it plays as low as 3 and as high as 8 (with expansions).

What Cosmic Encounter does have over these games is the sheer number of different factions. It's unlikely that you'll ever run into the same combinations of races in any given number of games.

Experien

If that's what you're looking for, then Cosmic Encounter is probably a fine choice. Some other games where each player has different abilities that I enjoy more:

Terra Mystica
Imperial Settlers
Eclipse
7 Wonders

Eclipse does take a long time to play and 7 Wonders is ideal with 5, in my opinion, even though it plays as low as 3 and as high as 8 (with expansions).

What Cosmic Encounter does have over these games is the sheer number of different factions. It's unlikely that you'll ever run into the same combinations of races in any given number of games.

I should give CE another chance but it felt annoying to me (and I still won) last time I played. Usually I am not the winner of games so that isn't an issue, just feels like some of the army races were OP. But I feel like there are quite a few unique power games.

XIA, each ship has a unqiue special power, it be played from short to super long games.
Room 25 expansion gives each character unique abilities, plays like the movie Cube.
Among the Stars is 7 Wonders but building a space station.
Eight Minute Empire: Legends is pretty quick and pretty.

I think the Spartacus board game is a great implementation of negotiation, bidding, and harmlessly simple miniatures combat with dice rolling that involves special powers (each house has a different ability). It often feels a bit like Cosmic Encounter, though with less overt king-making. I also find that my friends who are familiar with the show have a much easier time being back-stabbing bastards in the game (because it fits thematically) than they do in a game about random (including really cute-sy looking) alien species.

Spartacus is criminally under-rated.

ultron87

Seconded. Dune/Rex and Cosmic are on pretty opposite ends of any spectrum you can think up.

Despite being very different games on the surface they do share a lot of mechanics. You've got unique racial powers, conflict resolution by simultaneous hidden selection, a shared victory mechanic, and "action cards".

Despite being very different games on the surface they do share a lot of mechanics. You've got unique racial powers, conflict resolution by simultaneous hidden selection, a shared victory mechanic, and "action cards".

Aren't they from the general same "generation" of board game design? You can tell when Cosmic Encounter was made originally because of the "allow you to cheat if you don't get caught" cards that were all the rage.

joelseph

I think the Spartacus board game is a great implementation of negotiation, bidding, and harmlessly simple miniatures combat with dice rolling that involves special powers (each house has a different ability). It often feels a bit like Cosmic Encounter, though with less overt king-making. I also find that my friends who are familiar with the show have a much easier time being back-stabbing bastards in the game (because it fits thematically) than they do in a game about random (including really cute-sy looking) alien species.

Spartacus is criminally under-rated.

Agreed! We would get along swimmingly. If you are ever in Chicago stop by for a game!

Spartacus is a great game and sadly underplayed at my house. Is the expansion worth getting?

Expansion makes game better. More variety for the fights and the multi fighter primus events is really great way to spice things up. In base game things could get little predictable with fights so the new stuff really helped out the game.

Expansion makes game better. More variety for the fights and the multi fighter primus events is really great way to spice things up. In base game things could get little predictable with fights so the new stuff really helped out the game.

Also, some of the Scheme cars help fix House Batiatus, which is always good. Where's the new expansion btw? Winter 2014 has already come and gone

Agreed! We would get along swimmingly. If you are ever in Chicago stop by for a game!

And if you're ever in Champaign: same offer.

Is it worth getting if you only have an interest in playing with 4 players? I've held off on the expansion because I didn't feel the need to add any extra players.

Is it worth getting if you only have an interest in playing with 4 players? I've held off on the expansion because I didn't feel the need to add any extra players.

Yup, the Primus alone is a good way to break up the problem that can happen often where one player kinda runs with it in the arena and it is just too predictable. The multi fighter arena battles really can go many ways compared to base game one on one fights. The new options and characters also add some spice to the game. It just makes the game better.

Yup, the Primus alone is a good way to break up the problem that can happen often where one player kinda runs with it in the arena and it is just too predictable. The multi fighter arena battles really can go many ways compared to base game one on one fights. The new options and characters also add some spice to the game. It just makes the game better.

OK, cool. I was under the impression that the multi-fighter events were only for games with over 4 players. Good to know.

OK, cool. I was under the impression that the multi-fighter events were only for games with over 4 players. Good to know.

No it doesn't have a player requirement, it just needs 4 combatants, like in the regular arena battles the host invites 4 to fight, if all players got an invite at least once, then if space is available a player can get invited again to have more than 1 of his/her fighters in the arena. In 4 player your likely going to have every player putting in one fighter unless someone declines.

No it doesn't have a player requirement, it just needs 4 combatants, like in the regular arena battles the host invites 4 to fight, if all players got an invite at least once, then if space is available a player can get invited again to have more than 1 of his/her fighters in the arena. In 4 player your likely going to have every player putting in one fighter unless someone declines.

Because they only have servants because I've assassinated all of their gladiators...*evil*

Neverfade

Xater, you're a fellow Concordia fan right? Do you have the expansion board?

If so, what are your thoughts on it? How does it change the game up if at all? Weighing if I want to spend 17 and change on just a board.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I am. Saturday, possibly Sunday. One of the UnPub mini participants from last year will be there and has an active Kickstarter project for his game!

Cool,

Well be there on Saturday checking out A couple of games and I'm sure a bunch others for possible publication.

Keep in mind that the wizkids implementations of the system involve all of the normal wizkids shenanigans involving exclusive overpowered figures that you can only win at tournaments. Star trek even went so far as to have exclusive blind booster ships for playing in tournaments.

The vast majority of the tournament prizes for Star Trek Attack Wing are anything but overpowered. The closest we got to that was a brief period with the Conditional Surrender from the Ferengi and the Ch'tang and the Barrage of Fire weapon system. But even that isn't all that OP and there is now a retail equivalent in one of the Fighter Squadron retail packs, and Varel from the Romulan Scout ship mimics the Surrender card.

Top lists at the moment don't use any tournament cards or ships at the moment. Federation Peregrine Fighters and Dominion Hideki's are considered the top tier. Throw in a support ship like the AU Regents Flagship with AU Worf for maximum giggles.

The blinds were extremely popular with my local crowd. It's fun to get a new ship and a resource as opposed to a token or alt art card. It's something new.

I got Fief to the table last night and thought it was kind of meh, to be honest. We played just the base game with no expansions and it took us about two hours to complete a 5 player game, which actually isn't that bad. The randomness was rough at the end of the game where we had one shot to defeat the winning alliance and we got hit with two plagues. Most of our armies and Lords were wiped and that was pretty much GG.

The game felt a lot like Twilight Imperium: Rex but with more randomness. I think that is my main problem with Fief, is it's too much like Rex and I just like Rex more.

For people who are considering picking it up forget about the building pack, the buildings are completely useless. Sure they make the board look neat but when you have strongholds\fortified cities and mills plus chits and standees, the board is a mess. We did away with them and just used the cardboard chits and it made it easier.

Blizzard

Banned
Did you guys see the new pandemic expansion video? I'm not feeling it for some reason...
I don't know anything about a new expansion, but I saw some people playing Pandemic: The Cure last night. One of them had previously told me that even on hard, the normal Pandemic is easy to win. They seemed to have a rather terrible time with The Cure though.

hort

Neo Member
I don't know anything about a new expansion, but I saw some people playing Pandemic: The Cure last night. One of them had previously told me that even on hard, the normal Pandemic is easy to win. They seemed to have a rather terrible time with The Cure though.

The Cure is my favorite version of Pandemic now. I want to get excited about the new expansion, but I really just want expansions for The Cure now.

JSR_Cube

I got Fief to the table last night and thought it was kind of meh, to be honest. We played just the base game with no expansions and it took us about two hours to complete a 5 player game, which actually isn't that bad. The randomness was rough at the end of the game where we had one shot to defeat the winning alliance and we got hit with two plagues. Most of our armies and Lords were wiped and that was pretty much GG.

The game felt a lot like Twilight Imperium: Rex but with more randomness. I think that is my main problem with Fief, is it's too much like Rex and I just like Rex more.

For people who are considering picking it up forget about the building pack, the buildings are completely useless. Sure they make the board look neat but when you have strongholdsfortified cities and mills plus chits and standees, the board is a mess. We did away with them and just used the cardboard chits and it made it easier.

I still haven't got my copy yet but I have read similiar sentiments on BGG. Can some of the randomness be house-ruled?

Xater

Xater, you're a fellow Concordia fan right? Do you have the expansion board?

If so, what are your thoughts on it? How does it change the game up if at all? Weighing if I want to spend 17 and change on just a board.

I have the expansion board but I have so far only played the Britannia side. I really like that board though because it's really cramped. Even with 3 players you will get in each others way in no time and it also work great as a 2 player board. The Germania side has like 2 little rule changes but is otherwise like the big map of the original. Can#t go deeper into it, because like I said I have not played that side. Personally it was worth it just for Britannia.

I still haven't got my copy yet but I have read similiar sentiments on BGG. Can some of the randomness be house-ruled?
The plague cards are the most swingy and you can take them out if you want. There are only two of them in the deck but they can be game changing. The battles aren't too bad but if you don't like dice battling then there isn't much you can do about it.

Yeef

Finally got to play Dead of Winter. Lots of fun. We played with 5, so there was a big wait between turns, but other than that, I enjoyed it. I'd really like to try it with 3 or 4. The crossroads deck is a really cool element and leads to some exciting decisions.

There was a moment when morale was super low and someone rolled a bite. We sat and debated for a good 10 minutes about if that player should kill the survivor or try their odds at rolling to avoid the risk of infecting the other survivors at that location, eventually putting it to a vote. Taking the roll won out and he managed to survive it. Easily the best moment of the game.

Keasar

Any opinions on Legendary Encounters? I've read about it here and there, thought it sounded fun and the cheapest available option here has one copy of it left. Would like to know if its worth it.

On the other hand I am considering getting a copy of Dead of Winter, maybe that would be the better option?

A good co-op game is what I am after. Have too many competitive ones and would like to round it out (together with Space Alert) with more cooperative ones.

Ohnonono

Any opinions on Legendary Encounters? I've read about it here and there, thought it sounded fun and the cheapest available option here has one copy of it left. Would like to know if its worth it.

On the other hand I am considering getting a copy of Dead of Winter, maybe that would be the better option?

A good co-op game is what I am after. Have too many competitive ones and would like to round it out (together with Space Alert) with more cooperative ones.

Legendary Encounters is great, but you need to count your cards and make sure no mistakes. I will say best deckbuilder because of all of the narrative you get. Plays great solo, setup is easy if you sort the cards well.

Dead of Winter I want, it has a solo game, but seems like it takes up some real estate I just don't have at my gaming table. I could be wrong about that though.

I would prolly do Dead of Winter just to avoid the card count. Just me though.

Dead of Winter I want, it has a solo game, but seems like it takes up some real estate I just don't have at my gaming table. I could be wrong about that though.

Yeah, it takes up quite a bit of space. We're not talking Firefly levels of space, but a good solid amount. On a normal rectangular table, don't expect to have much exposed area at all (between the main board, player boards, locations, and their associated card decks)

Top Bottom