• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

well secrecy from funimation is easy to explain. NDA (nondisclosure agreement).
They aren't allowed to say what they have licensed yet. Just like in general they don't announce the dubcast for the show until like 6 weeks in even though they have said that basically the first 2 weeks viewer numbers decide which shows get dubbed in dubcasts.

as for toei... I really don't know how you get 25 days out and haven't shown off anything. I guess they are holding off until the last minute in hopes that when they show off stuff people are hyped and can remain hyped until it airs or something.

yeah and disney should not show anything from the new star wars film until like 5 days before its release

I feel like Toei doesn't realize how huge Dragon Ball is, especially outside of Japan. The news that a new Dragon Ball cartoon was on the way was fucking EVERYWHERE. All over my facebook, number 1 trend on twitter... this shit should have been announced at san diego comic con last year and been slowly hyped from then until now.

a simultaneous worldwide airing of the show (or at least in some of the larger markets) seems like a no brainer as well. It's 2015, if they're not going to make the show available in an official capacity as soon as it airs, that shit will be subbed and all over torrent websites a couple of hours later anyways.

there is so much money being left on the table with this that it blows my mind. a new fucking dragon ball anime after 17 years. god.

I-hate-u

Filler episodes I liked:

-Gohan and his robot friend
-Snake Princess
-Krillin dumps Marron
-Driving School (of course)
-Gohan teaches Videl how to fly

So yeah, the non-fighting filler was ok in my opinion.

5fd.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Best Gohan design only got used for a worthless training arc. Filler was good for something.

Seriously, just picture teen Gohan with that hair and a sword. He'd put Future Trunks to shame.

Sandfox

yeah and disney should not show anything from the new star wars film until like 5 days before its release

I feel like Toei doesn't realize how huge Dragon Ball is, especially outside of Japan. The news that a new Dragon Ball cartoon was on the way was fucking EVERYWHERE. All over my facebook, number 1 trend on twitter... this shit should have been announced at san diego comic con last year and been slowly hyped from then until now.

a simultaneous worldwide airing of the show (or at least in some of the larger markets) seems like a no brainer as well. It's 2015, if they're not going to make the show available in an official capacity as soon as it airs, that shit will be subbed and all over torrent websites a couple of hours later anyways.

there is so much money being left on the table with this that it blows my mind. a new fucking dragon ball anime after 17 years. god.
I'm sure Toei has seen the checks.
what's up with all the secrecy

why didn't toei start hyping this up, like, last year

funimation should have been advertising a possible simulcast like 6 months ago

how the fuck is it less than a month away and we still haven't even seen a still image of this show yet

#baffled
Simulcasts are usually announced extremely close to the release date.
well secrecy from funimation is easy to explain. NDA (nondisclosure agreement).
They aren't allowed to say what they have licensed yet. Just like in general they don't announce the dubcast for the show until like 6 weeks in even though they have said that basically the first 2 weeks viewer numbers decide which shows get dubbed in dubcasts.

as for toei... I really don't know how you get 25 days out and haven't shown off anything. I guess they are holding off until the last minute in hopes that when they show off stuff people are hyped and can remain hyped until it airs or something.

Given what I've seen from Toei in the past we should start seeing stuff in a week or two.

munchie64

Glad to hear about the simulcast possibilities. People will be pissed if it's not a dub, but I'll survive. If by some miracle there is a dub early on though, I'll watch that.

I wonder if the twitter page Goku art is indicative of his look in DBS...? A bit lame if so. I hope he gets either the RoF gi, the End of Z gi or a new one entirely.

deleted

I wonder if the twitter page Goku art is indicative of his look in DBS...? A bit lame if so. I hope he gets either the RoF gi, the End of Z gi or a new one entirely.

I may be wrong here, but that looks like a picture from the Boo Saga Tournament for me. When he enters the area with Vegeta, Krillin, Sayaman and Picollo?

NeonZ

The ending storyboard picture shows Goku without an undershirt, so he probably will look similar to his Revival F or end of Z designs rather than that one.

Crocodile

Not just simlusubbed, this shit should be simludubbed! There should be at least English and Spanish speaking versions out there day one with the Japanese release. Toei has been kind of a blow up for years now though so it doesn't surprise me that they are mypoic in this regard.

wmlk

For a 10 year old kid, the dub music could not have been any better. I love that the music was used in Legacy of Goku II as well.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
For a 10 year old kid, the dub music could not have been any better. I love that the music was used in Legacy of Goku II as well.
As much as I dislike Faulconer's score, it was great in that game.

It's been said, but Faulconer's main problem is that he's all over the place and that his music never stops playing. Kikuchi's score is also pretty bad IMO (come crucify me now and get it over with) but at least it has direction and consistency to it.

The Yamamoto score is the best... and it was replaced... forever. Profound sadness.

zulux21

No spoilers please

But for those who've seen both new movies, which one was better?

i haven't seen the second one but I would imagine it partially depends on if you like this song (from the people who did death note opening and ending 2) as that song inspired the return of freeza in general as the creator of dragon ball liked it and wanted to use it lol.

Vibranium

Banned

You're 100% on point. Toei needs to wake up and start getting Dragon Ball out worldwide Day 1, the show is massive overseas, even Toriyama took note like 20 years ago. The Funimation cast could get it done quick if they were given the resources.

NeonZ

I guess Toei is interested in tv broadcasts, which still pay better than online streaming at this point. And they want to avoid simulcasts since it could be seen as devaluing the tv rights.

Shauni

Just got into the funniest moment in Z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM1tMG6f7h8
Why do people not like this saga as much?

I don't know what the general consensus is, but personally, I don't dislike the Buu saga, but I think my biggest problem is how drawn out it is. It just goes on...forever. That's a problem with OG DBZ in general, but Buu is like an endless pit. And the end (as in the final fight with Buu, not the 3 episode epilogue which I liked) is kind of a dull fart overall, I thought. In a lot of ways, I think the Buu saga is probably like an unintentional summing up, of sorts, of all the flaws that DBZ had (super long fights, lots of interesting things that don't really matter in the end, etc).

And I don't think it flows as well into the narrative of Z, personally. From Saiyan to Cell Saga, I always felt even with the filler the main sagas bled into each very well. It all felt like one long narrative. I always thought Buu felt kind of tacked on.

Shauni

He needs to go to Namek and fuse with every Namek...Making one Namek with the power of an SSGSS.

No, even a little bit stronger!

But still then promptly defeated by the new big bad who just took out SSGSS Vegeta and time is needed for Goku to ascend to the legendary and unheard of power of SSGSS2!

Sciz

I don't know what the general consensus is, but personally, I don't dislike the Buu saga, but I think my biggest problem is how drawn out it is. It just goes on...forever. That's a problem with OG DBZ in general, but Buu is like an endless pit. And the end (as in the final fight with Buu, not the 3 episode epilogue which I liked) is kind of a dull fart overall, I thought. In a lot of ways, I think the Buu saga is probably like an unintentional summing up, of sorts, of all the flaws that DBZ had (super long fights, lots of interesting things that don't really matter in the end, etc).

And I don't think it flows as well into the narrative of Z, personally. From Saiyan to Cell Saga, I always felt even with the filler the main sagas bled into each very well. It all felt like one long narrative. I always thought Buu felt kind of tacked on.

It's been ages since I last watched the Buu arc, but the last time I read through the manga, it struck me as a very intentional deconstruction of what the series had become. That gets lost in translation with the way the anime pads things out, I think, and the self awareness just comes off as being out of touch.

Shauni

It's been ages since I last watched the Buu arc, but the last time I read through the manga, it struck me as a very intentional deconstruction of what the series had become. That gets lost in translation with the way the anime pads things out, I think, and the self awareness just comes off as being out of touch.

I see, interesting. I could see that. Throughout the whole saga, I felt like that idea was lingering at some point, intentionally or otherwise. I really should get around to reading the original manga at some point.

Shauni

Don't want to derail this on the eve of actual Super news, but talking about all the anime/manga differences have made me really want to actually jump into the manga, but I have some questions. From what I've read, the big value 3-in-1 volumes from Viz are censored. I read that the earlier single volume editions from 2003 are uncensored, but some of the Amazon reviews mention how these editions are also censored (here for reference: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1569319200/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

Anyone here happen to know anything about this? If this edition is also censored, what's really censored? Just the nudity? Because I prefer unedited versions of any material, but if all that's edited is Goku's barely junk think I can live with that.

VegettoEX

Neo Member
Don't want to derail this on the eve of actual Super news, but talking about all the anime/manga differences have made me really want to actually jump into the manga, but I have some questions. From what I've read, the big value 3-in-1 volumes from Viz are censored. I read that the earlier single volume editions from 2003 are uncensored, but some of the Amazon reviews mention how these editions are also censored (here for reference: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1569319200/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

Anyone here happen to know anything about this? If this edition is also censored, what's really censored? Just the nudity? Because I prefer unedited versions of any material, but if all that's edited is Goku's barely junk think I can live with that.

There's no perfect/unedited version of the manga from Viz. Censoring ranges in various prints/reprints and new versions/collections from nudity to violence to dialog. There's still like Goku's junk and Bulma turning around in the shower (and Mr. Popo's lips are always reduced), but also stuff like #17's gun turned into a fist. I always forget exactly where it is, but there's also a great dialog change of Vegeta's from "Chikusho!" (Damn/Shit/etc.) to just "!!!"

All in all, though, the Viz translation's a perfectly fine read, and leagues upon leagues ahead of FUNimation's original dub work on the anime.

My recommendation is for the "Viz Big" versions, which have nicer quality paper (not quite Japanese kanzenban level, but close), most of the color chapters, and are 3-in-1 volumes (sometimes 2-in-1) for a good price... not to be confused with the currently on-going 3-in-1 editions which use the kanzenban cover art and have atrocious paper quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom