• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is fan fiction, but I think it would be cool if some how Goku travels back in time to when planet Vegeta was not destroyed. Just to see all those saiyans lose their shit when they see how powerful he is

Yeah that would be cool seeing their reactions.
I mean they all have to be like Raditz or Vegeta saiyan saga level so insanely weak.

That seems......unlikely? Like what would be their rationale? It certainly wouldn't compete with TV airings of the earlier parts of Kai (different audiences).
Maybe they didn't feel like it was worth the money or effort, or maybe they just wanted to wait and release it on DVD and Blu-ray

Zubz

Banned
Teaser should be aired next week at the end of Kai.

We said that about this week, though. Although yeah. This week's arguably the last chance they have.

EDIT: Oh, you meant that as in "That's what they're planning" and not "That's what I think they should do." My bad!

Vice

Off Dende early on to give death meaning again with no Dragon Balls.

Death has always been more of a nuisance than anything else in Dragon Ball though. Even permanently dead character like Grandpa Gohan can show up through some means.

I'm at the end of Dragonball and would love to see a MR. Satan saga that takes place after Goku wins the 23rd Martial Arts tournament. We know Mr. Satan wins the 24th and 25th during the time of Frieza and the Androids. Would b cool to see his rise and a tourney without the gang.

Speaking of Grandpa Gohan, does anybody think Goku just forgot about him in DBZ? Like he doesn't even try to meet up with his grandpa the 2x he died in the series.

I'm at the end of Dragonball and would love to see a MR. Satan saga that takes place after Goku wins the 23rd Martial Arts tournament. We know Mr. Satan wins the 24th and 25th during the time of Frieza and the Androids. Would b cool to see his rise and a tourney without the gang.

Speaking of Grandpa Gohan, does anybody think Goku just forgot about him in DBZ? Like he doesn't even try to meet up with his grandpa the 2x he died in the series.

I would say Toriyama forgot about him, but honestly Goku had his closure with him back in DB

Well, Goku didn't visit Bulma and Vegeta in 5 years at the end of series.

That said, if Goku visited Grandpa Gohan it could easily have been offscreen with no mention necessary.

I would say Toriyama forgot about him, but honestly Goku had his closure with him back in DB

I wouldn't say so. It is only when seeing Oozaru Vegeta that Goku realizes that he is the one who killed his Grandpa. He sort of apologizes to him mentally during that episode.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Ban...168?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eba1e820

This is all kinds of wrong.

$_1.JPG

Shauni

Taking out the Dragon Balls for good is a horrible idea. What does it matter if someone, or whole worlds, can be brought back with them to the threat? Goku and co. still has to defeat the threat to get to that goal, obviously. DB is a whimsical fantasy franchise.

What's wrong with the original? This seems like what I watched as a kid.

The original near 300 episode show is plagued by "filler." Not all of this filler is bad per say, at least not to me, but a lot of it is just kind of junk thrown in to fill the void while the anime caught up to the managa. It's notorious for having things drawn out to an unintentionally comedic degree (such as the infamous, "This planet will explode in 5 minutes" that is followed by a fight that lasts 30 episodes or whatever).

Kai basically cut out a good degree of the filler content for a more leaner, plot-focused and manga faithful adaptation.

Where did this General Tao killed Mr Satans master and beat up Mr Satan come from? I read it on wiki but i don't this this was ever clarified in the anime or manga

The Goku/Majin Vegeta fight was technically filler and that fight was fantastic

Also, Majin Vegeta quotes were top tier

I don't get why everyone has a hard-on for that fight. It's just a bunch of random-ass attacks with no real narrative flow beyond Vegeta bitching about how inadequate he is. Their Saiyan Saga battle was literally a million times better.

Shauni

Yeah, some of the filler isn't too bad at all. The Other World tournament, for instance, is a really decent arc, I thought.

RootCause

I don't get why everyone has a hard-on for that fight. It's just a bunch of random-ass attacks with no real narrative flow beyond Vegeta bitching about how inadequate he is. Their Saiyan Saga battle was literally a million times better.
Agreed. The fight in the saiyan saga was great. The lowly saiyan daring to stand up against the elite saiyan(and the prince), and trashing them was great. The majin fight didn't have much going for it. imo

Yeah, Goku vs Majin Vegeta wasn't a fantastic fight, but it has its moments. Goku being restrained by those ring things was cool. It was mostly a good time to develop Vegeta's character some more, which was pretty well done IMO.

Majin Vegeta vs Goku was a good, well animated fight between two equally powerful opponents(well Goku still had SS3 but you know what I mean) which is very rare in DBZ.

The actual fight wasnt nearly as iconic as the Saiyan saga battle but the lead up and conclusion of Majin Vegeta was some of the best stuff in the series.

zulux21

Otherworld tournament is terrible, Pikkon's punk ass one shotting Cell, fuck that

It's alright if you turn off your brain. If you think about the fact that there are heroes that have been potentially training for thousands upon thousands of years goku really shouldn't have been able to compete very well.

Shauni

Otherworld tournament is terrible, Pikkon's punk ass one shotting Cell, fuck that

Eh, nature of the show. Once the strongest, biggest threat gets his ass kicked by the next in line. The Other World Tournament added a pretty cool aspect to the lore of the show with fleshing what people do in their afterlife in the DB universe. I wouldn't call it a great arc, but overall, enjoyable and adds to mythology in a neat way.

If they were gonna make Pikkon that damn strong they should've kept him that damn strong, he should've embarrassed the shit out of Goku in their fight.

Frieza got murked by Trunks but at least he was a major character and one of the catalysts of the entire saga, Pikkon's a damn nobody and they ruined Cell for no reason.

Shauni

If they were gonna make Pikkon that damn strong they should've kept him that damn strong, he should've embarrassed the shit out of Goku in their fight.

Frieza got murked by Trunks but at least he was a major character and one of the catalysts of the entire saga, Pikkon's a damn nobody and they ruined Cell for no reason.

Eh, nature of the show, like I said. I honestly don't see the big deal. Old guy jobs to new guy, rinse and repeat, whether filler or canon.

-Eddman-

Filler episodes I liked:

-Gohan and his robot friend
-Snake Princess
-Krillin dumps Marron
-Driving School (of course)
-Gohan teaches Videl how to fly

So yeah, the non-fighting filler was ok in my opinion.

Eh, nature of the show, like I said. I honestly don't see the big deal. Old guy jobs to new guy, rinse and repeat, whether filler or canon.

I do see the big deal when dumb things happen for no reason.

Frieza got ended by Trunks to establish there's another super saiyan on the level of Goku, it confirmed that Super Saiyan isn't some once every thousand year thing and it's possible for others to do it, and it quickly established the threat of the androids if someone who can easily kill Frieza can't beat them.

Vegeta got wrecked by Zarbon to establish that Frieza's top soldiers aint nothing to mess with(serves to better hype up the Ginyu Force), it led to showing off the power of the zenkai that would be used later on. If Vegeta can't beat Frieza's guys then the man himself must be a monster and it holds true.

Now lets look at some of the fillers.

The Ginyus get beat by Tien and Yamcha because.............????? How does that make any sense on a power level standpoint????? What does it do besides further embarass your old villains, it certainly does nothing for the dead heroes as they continue to do jack shit.

Pikkon beats Cell presumably to establish how strong the dead warriors are and show that Goku still has a ways to go. But then in their first fight he battles evenly with Goku? They "tie" and he's never heard from again? What was the point? Terrible.

Guri

So far, I sometimes feel like Kai is great, but rushed. I don't mean fillers that don't really develop the characters, but it was weird to see Gohan scared, turn into Oozaru, Piccolo destroys the moon and his tail and, on the next episode, he is the most confident kid with a mysterious sword.

On the Boo arc, Videl learns that Gohan is the Great Saiyaman on the second episode! I mean, we don't need to see Gohan dating in a cringeworthy way, but it felt really rushed.

And those were just some of them. Some of the cut content was really cool, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom