• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant1532

Banned
Filler episodes I liked:

-Gohan and his robot friend
-Snake Princess
-Krillin dumps Marron
-Driving School (of course)
-Gohan teaches Videl how to fly

So yeah, the non-fighting filler was ok in my opinion.

Those fillers are good along with the Garlic Jr saga due to them not interrupting a pace already in motion. They are also character building rather than extending or pending a narrative flowing. imo of course

zulux21

Those fillers are good along with the Garlic Jr saga due to them not interrupting a pace already in motion. They are also character building rather than extending or pending a narrative flowing. imo of course

Garlic Jr saga was terrible and nearly made me stop watching DBZ when it was airing on cartoon network.

ant1532

Banned
Garlic Jr saga was terrible and nearly made me stop watching DBZ when it was airing on cartoon network.

lol, well im not gunna defendthe garlic jr saga. i haven't seen it since its first time airing on CN, so i'm just going off my memory which is not hating it.

Moaradin

I liked the episode where Goku goes back in time and meets a young Roshi

That was in the original DB not DBZ right? I remember liking that one too. Most of the filler in original DB was pretty good actually. Fits in well and doesn't get in the way of canon for the most part. Only filler I remember not liking was the one at the very end, where Goku and Chi-Chi go and find a magic fan or something.

That was in the original DB not DBZ right? I remember liking that one too. Most of the filler in original DB was pretty good actually. Fits in well and doesn't get in the way of canon for the most part. Only filler I remember not liking was the one at the very end, where Goku and Chi-Chi go and find a magic fan or something.

Yep, that part was so obviously tacked on and just plain out there. The rest of DB filler was pretty seamless.

Filler episodes I liked:

-Snake Princess
-Krillin dumps Marron

My favourite filler, and perhaps favourite episode of all, was the one near the end where Goku rescues that egg. Unless I'm mistaken in thinking it is filler?

Real Hero

I'm watching DBZ properly for the first time after really enjoying Dragonball. I've just gotten to Buu and I think Namek/Frieza is by far the worst thing about both shows, it was almost unwatchable. DBZ on the whole is way worse than Dragonball but it did get enjoyable around the androids and I think it got great during the Cell games.

Moaradin

Surprised you don't like Namek. A lot of people think that's the best DBZ arc. I myself like the Cell Saga just as much. It's been a while since I've seen Buu, but I want to give it another try with Kai whenever Funimation stops sitting on it.

Real Hero

Surprised you don't like Namek. A lot of people think that's the best DBZ arc. I myself like the Cell Saga just as much. It's been a while since I've seen Buu, but I want to give it another try with Kai whenever Funimation stops sitting on it.

Part of it may be that it's what I mainly remember the show as a kid so maybe everything else just seemed newer and more interesting. The things I enjoyed about Namek was Bulma being more involved like classic Dragon ball, The Ginyu Force and the final battle with Goku. But I think both the Saiyan saga and Namek were dragged down a lot by being so stretched out. Although I have a feeling if I went back and watched Namek I'd enjoy it way more now because I've gotten used to the shows pacing.

NeonZ

I forgot the story lines, but if there is a Garlic Jr Saga wouldn't that make Dead Zone canon?

Well, it's canon to the anime, and it's even referenced in GT, but it isn't canon to the manga or the new movies which follow the manga continuity. For example, there's no flying insect hanging out with North Kaio and his monkey.

zulux21

lol, well im not gunna defendthe garlic jr saga. i haven't seen it since its first time airing on CN, so i'm just going off my memory which is not hating it.

like I didn't mind the idea of having an arc without goku, had potential to be good, but pretty much everything about it was stupid.

The baby arc in GT is a more fleshed out idea of what the arc could have been (with the heroes turning villain) and that isn't amazing either.

Dragonballs filler was really good. It was hard to even tell it was filler unless you really broke it down.

I also liked some of the filler in Z. I'm down with establishing the characters more though my only issue with the filler in Z was the Goku vs Frieza fight going on for too long.

Watching Dragonball-Frieza flows incredibly well. Saiyan Saga and Namek Saga still retain the feel of the original Dragonball. Z really kicks in with Trunks arrival.

Shauni

I'm watching DBZ properly for the first time after really enjoying Dragonball. I've just gotten to Buu and I think Namek/Frieza is by far the worst thing about both shows, it was almost unwatchable. DBZ on the whole is way worse than Dragonball but it did get enjoyable around the androids and I think it got great during the Cell games.

You watching OG DBZ or Kai? I can kind of see that for OG DBZ, because I think the filler overall is pretty poor in those sagas and just draw things out way, way too long. The fight between Goku and Frieza especially, can be damn near exhausting to try and watch.

But if it's Kai you're watching, then I don't know, can't say I agree. I think from Saiyan to Cell is all pretty good. The overall quality drops in the Buu saga, though there's some cool stuff in there, too.

Watching Dragonball-Frieza flows incredibly well. Saiyan Saga and Namek Saga still retain the feel of the original Dragonball.

Can't say I see that. From the start, Z seemed like a completely different thing than the original DB to me. I see the sprinkles of OG DB in there with characters like the Ginyu Force and King Kai, but overall, the tone of Z and DB felt worlds apart to me from the beginning.

Real Hero

You watching OG DBZ or Kai? I can kind of see that for OG DBZ, because I think the filler overall is pretty poor in those sagas and just draw things out way, way too long. The fight between Goku and Frieza especially, can be damn near exhausting to try and watch.

But if it's Kai you're watching, then I don't know, can't say I agree. I think from Saiyan to Cell is all pretty good. The overall quality drops in the Buu saga, though there's some cool stuff in there, too.
OG and yeah I can see how kai could easily improve it.

At the start of Z, Goku can barley fly. Still uses Nimbus and power pole. Oozaru's make an appearance and every character from the DB cast had a role in defeating Vegeta. Even Yajorobie. Also lots of animal people are seen in the city which for some reason go away once the Androids come.

I also found the first 2 DBZ movies retained a late Dragonball feel to it as well. Arguable about the 3rd.

Real Hero

Dbz just doesn't have enough oolong, yajarobi or master roshie in general although it has less comedy in general until Hercule shows up who is great

andymcc

Banned
Can't say I see that. From the start, Z seemed like a completely different thing than the original DB to me. I see the sprinkles of OG DB in there with characters like the Ginyu Force and King Kai, but overall, the tone of Z and DB felt worlds apart to me from the beginning.

The King Piccolo arc marks the change in tone if anything.

Shauni

At the start of Z, Goku can barley fly. Still uses Nimbus and power pole. Oozaru's make an appearance and every character from the DB cast had a role in defeating Vegeta. Even Yajorobie. Also lots of animal people are seen in the city which for some reason go away once the Androids come.

I also found the first 2 DBZ movies retained a late Dragonball feel to it as well. Arguable about the 3rd.

If we're just talking about presence of characters, yeah, but when you said "feel", I was thinking more general tone, storytelling, etc. DBZ started out pretty different from DB in that regard, at least I thought so.

Blader

Part of it may be that it's what I mainly remember the show as a kid so maybe everything else just seemed newer and more interesting. The things I enjoyed about Namek was Bulma being more involved like classic Dragon ball, The Ginyu Force and the final battle with Goku. But I think both the Saiyan saga and Namek were dragged down a lot by being so stretched out. Although I have a feeling if I went back and watched Namek I'd enjoy it way more now because I've gotten used to the shows pacing.

Haha, I have similar feelings about it... I think I mainly have such relatively negative memories of the Namek/Frieza saga because they would rerun those episodes over and over and over again, and all I wanted was new episodes! So when the Android/Cell and Buu sagas finally aired, it was such a relief and so much more exciting to watch.

I also think the dub during the Namek/Frieza days was really rough in about every way, and Funi didn't really hit their stride with the show until the Cell saga.

NeonZ

Dragonball almost drops all comedy in the Piccolo Daimao arc though. 23rd Budokai raises the comedy again, but it's fairly close to Z's atmosphere, especially when it gets to the final battle.

Z and the Freeza Saga pretty much keep the art style of the ending of Dragonball too, although Goku in Kaioken gets buffer in Z, while there's a huge change comes the Cell Saga, with more angular designs.

If we're just talking about presence of characters, yeah, but when you said "feel", I was thinking more general tone, storytelling, etc. DBZ started out pretty different from DB in that regard, at least I thought so.

Maybe I should have said Piccolo Jr Saga - Namek Saga. Once Goku gets older.

That Goku vs Piccolo fight was incredible. Might be my fav in the series.

Shauni

Dragonball almost drops all comedy in the Piccolo Daimao arc though. 23rd Budokai raises the comedy again, but it's fairly close to Z's atmosphere, especially when it gets to the final battle.

Z and the Freeza Saga pretty much keep the art style of the ending of Dragonball too, although Goku in Kaioken gets buffer in Z, while there's a huge change comes the Cell Saga, with more angular designs.

I can kind of see where you're coming from with the Piccolo arc in DB. You can see the seeds of the tone shift being planted, but still, I think the general tone of DB is lighter by the end again, as you said. I don't know, Z still seemed a lot different from DB to me even from the beginning.

And, again, I am only talking about tone and storytelling, not artstyle or character presences. I'm aware of the bled over in the latter, but not not what I think of when I think "feel" of a show, but depends on how one defines it, I realize.

andymcc

Banned
I can kind of see where you're coming from with the Piccolo arc in DB. You can see the seeds of the tone shift being planted, but still, I think the general tone of DB is lighter by the end again, as you said. I don't know, Z still seemed a lot different from DB to me even from the beginning.

I mean the comic of Dragon Ball ends Piccolo's defeat and then the following chapter is literally raditz landing on earth with zero changes to the title of the series.

the filler that ends Dragon Ball (the dumb wedding dress shit) and begins Dragon Ball Z (Gohan getting lost in the forest) were pretty much cut from the same cloth.

Shauni

I mean the comic of Dragon Ball ends Piccolo's defeat and then the following chapter is literally raditz landing on earth with zero changes to the title of the series.

the filler that ends Dragon Ball (the dumb wedding dress shit) and begins Dragon Ball Z (Gohan getting lost in the forest) were pretty much cut from the same cloth.

I'm only talking about the anime, I've never read the manga.

andymcc

Banned
From what I've heard, Revival of F is much more in line with what one would expect from a DBZ movie.

it is but it also still has a huge prioritization for humor, like BoG.

the Japanese version's score reuses some of the music from DB, same cast, etc. so I think it's a lot easier for it to feel like a natural progression of the series rather than two wholly different sorts of shows.

NimbusD

Filler episodes I liked:

-Snake Princess
-Krillin dumps Marron

Aww man, the robot episode was great. Really sad. Felt bad for that robot, man.

zulux21

Funimation has some "pretty major titles" that they can't announce that they will begin simulcasting in July.
Fingers crossed!

well here is the july season

only titles there I see that you could consider major titles
SdhJ4zH.png
(and maybe god eater even though it's based off a game)
Durarara is aniplex and no way funimation gets it
Fate season 1 was released by sentai and likely released by them again
god eater is a possibility though. E3 is next week maybe we will get lucky and namco will announce god eater 2 coming to NA/EU and that funimation is doing the voice work for it and the anime.
so yeah, if it's not just random PR speak that comment should have been about super which gives me hope.

I imagine there is a chance that if they have it they will lock it completely behind their sub (which is fine for me as I am a subscriber) I am hoping they have the simulcast though as it would give high odds to a dubcast which means I might only have to wait until mid august for db super (weds is their main dub day, and weds the 19th happens to be my birthday. That seems like a great day to release the first dubcast episode of db super :p)

Sadist

Hehe, man I loved the driving school episode.

Piccolo being awesome; "Mr Piccolo, you are doing very well!" Piccolo with a serious/smirking face: "Yeah, I know"

Anth0ny

Funimation has some "pretty major titles" that they can't announce that they will begin simulcasting in July.
Fingers crossed!

what's up with all the secrecy

why didn't toei start hyping this up, like, last year

funimation should have been advertising a possible simulcast like 6 months ago

how the fuck is it less than a month away and we still haven't even seen a still image of this show yet

#baffled

zulux21

what's up with all the secrecy

why didn't toei start hyping this up, like, last year

funimation should have been advertising a possible simulcast like 6 months ago

how the fuck is it less than a month away and we still haven't even seen a still image of this show yet

#baffled

well secrecy from funimation is easy to explain. NDA (nondisclosure agreement).
They aren't allowed to say what they have licensed yet. Just like in general they don't announce the dubcast for the show until like 6 weeks in even though they have said that basically the first 2 weeks viewer numbers decide which shows get dubbed in dubcasts.

as for toei... I really don't know how you get 25 days out and haven't shown off anything. I guess they are holding off until the last minute in hopes that when they show off stuff people are hyped and can remain hyped until it airs or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom