• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New(?) Gran Turismo 4 screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sorry if old

561066_20041001_screen001.jpg

561066_20041001_screen002.jpg

561066_20041001_screen003.jpg

561066_20041001_screen004.jpg

561066_20041001_screen005.jpg

561066_20041001_screen006.jpg

561066_20041001_screen007.jpg

561066_20041001_screen008.jpg

561066_20041001_screen009.jpg

561066_20041001_screen010.jpg

BeOnEdge

Banned
those are CG quality IMO being done by the ps2. awesome. next gen is gonna blow us away!

anyone else notice this car isnt reflecting whats around it properly? the car is on a bridge yet its reflecting roadside guardrails which dont seem to be on either side of the bridge...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
BeOnEdge said:
those are CG quality IMO being done by the ps2. awesome. next gen is gonna blow us away!

anyone else notice this car isnt reflecting whats around it properly? the car is on a bridge yet its reflecting roadside guardrails which dont seem to be on either side of the bridge...

There are guard rails on the side, what're you talkin about? And the car's reflecting the bridge's beams not the rails.

callous

The cars look amazing, but someone needs to put those trees and bushes out of their collective misery. Jesus christ.

Joe

one day someone needs to post like 1 or 2 new gt4 pics as new forza pics just to see what happens. would be a nice experiment....

Arcticfox

I don't know what the problem with the trees are. So they look crappy in screenshots; what 2D trees don't?

All I know is that the trees are one of the best parts of the Nurburgring on the BMW demo. From a first person perspective at a distance they look just fine, plus their sheer numbers are amazing.

BeOnEdge

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
There are guard rails on the side, what're you talkin about? And the car's reflecting the bridge's beams not the rails.

the car is reflecting the type of guardrail here.
nyttomgranturismo_17205.jpg

thats nowhere near the car on the bridge!!!! nowhere! the guardrails on the bridge are totally different and the bridge beams dont have that either.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It looks like it's reflecting the guardrails that are behind the camera view (after the bridge ends). And no - that's not quite accurate, but reflection mapping of any kind is just an approximation - you can always find cases where it will be incorrect (with respect to a true reflection).

Afaik, in case of GT the realtime generated reflection map covers the front 180degree hemisphere. Because the other 180degrees are only visible at extreme angles, the approximation is actually fairly accurate. Distortion of reflection on car bodies makes it hard to make out detail anyhow. ;)

Not to mention - the trackside geometry used to render reflections is much more simplified then what you see on main screen, so not all objects will be there, or look exactly the same either.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Gantz said:
Bouncing off or cars = best drifting engine ever? o_O

Outrun 2 does the same thing. You usually bounce off cars if you bump into them while you drift. :p

shpankey

not an idiot
impressive shots to say the least... just have to temper my enthusiasm a little because i know it won't look like that on my TV, although i'm sure it will still look really really great. i will be enjoying the game though, i can hardly wait. i plan on getting the new super small PS2 to play it on. question to Gek, will my Logitech MOMO Force for the PC work with this title? or do you know? ::hopes::

Pimpwerx

Polyphopny Digital >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *

Dammit, Kaz Yamauchi's crew is the main reason I have held onto my old PS2 games in hopes of eventually getting a new system. Gran Turismo owns me in every way. The new game looks incredible. No, the image quality won't be that nice. Big deal, get over it. It'll look close to that, and all the effects and lighting and car models will still look the same. Besides, GT isnt' even about the graphics, it's about the physics. The graphics are the icing on a delicious cake. The GT series is simply the pinnacle of driving games b/c it's thorough in every way. PEACE.

This message sponsored in part by GT whores everywhere. :D

Ranger X

STILL, i can't wait for next gen and have random weather, night racing, completely 3D behavior for cars (i mean that i can get my car roll over it's top), damage engine, cockpit view, payable reparations on my car and online with 16 to 20 people. Those examples are the next needed steps for Gran Turismo (in no particular order and hopefully all at the same time).

Gek54

shpankey said:
question to Gek, will my Logitech MOMO Force for the PC work with this title? or do you know? ::hopes::

If you are lucky but alot of newer PS2 games are not compatible. You really need to get a Driving Force Pro for GT4. Its good quality, PC games that support logitech will be compatible and newer PC games like Richard Burns Rally will support the 900 degrees and it makes a huge difference.

Socreges

Banned
BeOnEdge said:

Heh, you're right.

What are the reports on AI? I know it's been improved, but how? Online was the main selling point for me.

ourumov

SolidSnakex said:
Can't wait to see the drift mode in this game. GT series = best drifting engine ever.

Gt1 and Gt2 were games where the drifting was fairly easy...With GT3 it become a difficult task (without tweaking) and then GTC (from what I have seen) is a return to a drifting system that's easy to perform while keeping a certain degree of realism.

RX7, S2000 or even a Skyline/Evo and no-helps is everything you need to enjoy drifting :)

cobragt3

Want to know what the game will look like on your tv? Go look at the new vids and you'll see it looks just as good if not better than the pics because you're seeing it in motion. Gt4's cars have 300 parameters each, making the cars react and drive like the real thing. Included in the parameters are wind, friction, weight, and more but that was off top of my head. Factors of wind will be in, like slipstream, lift and other factors. Gt4 really is a driving simulator. If you were to race a certain car on the Nurburgring in gt4, and race the same car in reality on the Nurb, your track times for gt4 and reality would be dead close, like 1% off.

cobragt3

shpankey said:
impressive shots to say the least... just have to temper my enthusiasm a little because i know it won't look like that on my TV, although i'm sure it will still look really really great. i will be enjoying the game though, i can hardly wait. i plan on getting the new super small PS2 to play it on. question to Gek, will my Logitech MOMO Force for the PC work with this title? or do you know? ::hopes::
I dont think it will, sorry. But if you want to know what it's gonna look like on your tv, try watching some of the new vids.

DSN2K

I still cant get over the fact they made it better looking then the last one. GT3 is still a benchmark for the PS2 visually.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Scoobert said:
Now where's the actual gameplay shots?

Sadly, I am unable to locate my extremely lengthy explanation as to why that is one of the stupidest questions you could be asking...

Scoobert

dark10x said:
Sadly, I am unable to locate my extremely lengthy explanation as to why that is one of the stupidest questions you could be asking...

Sadly, I'll answer your pathetic statement. The shots shown above are either hi-res shots or from photo mode. Nothing the high resolution? Notice the FSAA? Those are some very clean shots. You won't find those in December on your tv.

Socreges said:
Heh, you're right.

What are the reports on AI? I know it's been improved, but how? Online was the main selling point for me.

They've recently announced that the AI will now have a memory to react to your driving style. So that's definetly a step in the right direction.

Forsete

Scoobert said:
Sadly, I'll answer your pathetic statement. The shots shown above are either hi-res shots or from photo mode. Nothing the high resolution? Notice the FSAA? Those are some very clean shots. You won't find those in December on your tv.

Do you mention this in every Halo 2 thread? Every Forza thread?

If it makes you feel better, here are some gamplay shots (of Prologue).

ga1.jpg

ga3.jpg

ga2.jpg

Imagine the high res shots but like these, the difference is not that huge really? IMO, the high res shots make the game look more ugly.

cobragt3

Scoobert said:
Instead of expecting pics to show you what you need to know about the game's visuals, how about watching it in motionf?

cobragt3

Forsete said:
Do you mention this in every Halo 2 thread? Every Forza thread?

If it makes you feel better, here are some gamplay shots (of Prologue).

ga1.jpg

ga3.jpg

ga2.jpg

Imagine the high res shots but like these, the difference is not that huge really? IMO, the high res shots make the game look more ugly.
nice pics but the gt4p demo is old in comparsion to the new gt4 build. gt4p was simply based off of the 03 E3 gt4 build. Great advancements can be made over a year's time.

Scoobert

The difference actually is pretty huge. GT3 and GT4 graphics aren't that big of a difference. Kaz even said at E3 it will look no better than GT3.

Lumix

SolidSnakex said:
Can't wait to see the drift mode in this game. GT series = best drifting engine ever.

The drifting in the GT series is nice, but still is lacking a few things.
Until clutch-kicking is included, and the emergency brake sensitivity is improved, I would have to disagree with this statement.

Scoobert said:
Kaz even said at E3 it will look no better than GT3.

Here's an interview with Kaz from E3 saying that he thinks the game looks better:

"The game is clearly enhanced visually. "We had not extracted all there is from the PS2," said Yamauchi. "We have re-thought the procedures and re-built our technology to create an even better looking game, we hope you agree."

"We have been able to increase the quality of the graphics because our designers' skills have evolved, not the hardware," Yamauchi pointed out. "We have created an all-new car design procedure which helps to create better looking and easier to create cars."

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/402/402726p1.html

Here's a comparison of Trial Mountain from GT4 and GT Concept:

valley2.jpg

gtc_screen083.jpg

Kordos

Wow, those graphics do look beautiful.

However, I am heavily concerned about the lack of emphasis on multiplayer. The GT angle has been done to death (by PD themselves) -- cranking up the graphics code and wasting time on features like 'photo mode' seems to be not the best use of development time - especially considering the game doesn't support HDTV output.

I'm afraid that PD's take on multiplayer will be essentially a mode similar to GT3's split screen 'arcade mode', but with up to 6 players and no real continuity (scoring, stats, series, tournaments, etc) - has anyone found any info that indicates otherwise?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Scoobert said:

Ah, forgive me, I mis-understood...

I was under the impression that you were referring to the fact that the screens presented consist mostly of replay shots. I do not believe that to be the basis for a valid complaint...

However, if you are complaining about the resolution of the shots, that is more acceptable. However, I would think that you would be used to them by now...

GT4 is far from the only guilty party, you see. High res shots are very common these days for all games. To be quite honest, though, a frame buffer grab viewed on a PC monitor will end up looking worse than what you will see when you play the game on your TV (even though it is the most accurate image you could capture).

I just don't believe that there is a good reason to act as if any single game is trying to mis-lead the public with high resolution shots when almost every new game these days is guilty of it...

Top Bottom