• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

I really have to say after watching more of the footage that this is easily one of the most beautiful looking first person shooters I've ever seen. It's just so damn good artistically, and the fact that it runs so buttery smooth makes it all the more impressive.

The game's strong visually in so many areas that likely won't be properly appreciated, but it gives even games that run at half the framerate a serious run for their money. The texture or materials quality for one is a lot better than you would expect for a 60fps shooter, the amount of action and freedom of movement in the levels is beautiful to see, and you constantly see these nice little touches whose general high quality can't help but surprise with the game's strict performance goals in mind. The effects they have going on for the forerunner enemies are damn amazing, as are a number of other things I saw.

343i have done an incredible job here, and people can sleep on this all they want, but in my view this game doesn't take a backseat to a single first person shooter shown so far this gen.

A bit hyperbole.

And btw this Forerunner effects were already possible on the 360 with Halo 4 ;)

A bit hyperbole.

And btw this Forerunner effects were already possible on the 360 with Halo 4 ;)

The forerunner effects weren't nearly as impressive or high quality as what I've seen in this footage. They look like what you'd expect to see in a 30fps title imo. Yea, call it hyperbole etc (I obviously disagree), but this game seriously looks amazing.

The forerunner effects weren't nearly as impressive or high quality as what I've seen in this footage. They look like what you'd expect to see in a 30fps title imo. Yea, call it hyperbole etc (I obviously disagree), but this game seriously looks amazing.

wat? This forerunner particle effects look the same as Halo 4s on 360. Maybe you should replay/rewatch some H4 footage. And im mainly talking about the effect when you kill a promethean etc Oh wait you only played H4 once, but its you all time favorit goty. Gotcha.

I think someone mentioned this before: while the game looks smooth, sometimes the enemy animations look to be running at a different framerate, almost looks claymation-ish at times, usually when they're turning around. Anyone else notice this?

Not to shit on your parade, senjustsu, the mention of graphics/style just reminded me. It does generally look awesome.

c0de

wat? This forerunner particle effects look the same as Halo 4s on 360. Maybe you should replay/rewatch some H4 footage. And im mainly talking about the effect when you kill a promethean etc Oh wait you only played H4 once, but its you all time favorit goty. Gotcha.

Could any of you guys perhaps just pose a comparison gif or screenshot so that any of you can actually prove your points?

Bsigg12

Eh, I just played through 4 again on MCC earlier this week and 5 looks significantly better on the Forerunner effects. 4 looked good at the time but 5 really does add a lot to it.

I think someone mentioned this before: while the game looks smooth, sometimes the enemy animations look to be running at a different framerate, almost looks claymation-ish at times, usually when they're turning around. Anyone else notice this?

Not to shit on your parade, senjustsu, the mention of graphics/style just reminded me. It does generally look awesome.

Could be a bug, I noticed it with a Grunt (on the Blue Team mission). But the fact that it is not 100% constant does indicate some sort of bug that should be ironed out prior to launch.

So new MP footage in 30 minutes. Should i update the OP or new topic?

I noticed that in the gameplay video they released last week. Sometimes when you kill an enemy the animations are in 30?fps or so. It looks weird. Maybe a bug in this build they used. Oh and whats up with the haze like effect in the blue team cutscene on Chiefs fingers`?

Youre wrong man, give it a rest I just replayed it.

Bsigg12

So as a heads up, I watched the GameStop Arena overview video they just dropped, they did a terrible job (as in not at all) explaining that the REQ packs and weapons have no effect on Arena besides cosmetic stuff.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Fathom is the only good (graphically) looking map from the new videos I've seen so far that but that map might as well just be a remix of Empire, it pretty much looks the same.

Bsigg12

Fathom is the only good (graphically) looking map from the new videos I've seen so far that but that map might as well just be a remix of Empire, it pretty much looks the same.

If you're talking purely aesthetics, sure. They're both using the human industrial look with Empire set in a city and Fathom under sea.

Breakout as a whole continues to look awesome to me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If you're talking purely aesthetics, sure. They're both using the human industrial look with Empire set in a city and Fathom under sea.

I was.

Also, is it just me or are The Rig's ground textures SUPER low res?

I was.

Also, is it just me or are The Rig's ground textures SUPER low res?

The Rig has ground textures? I hadn't noticed. :p

All of the weapon skins are super ugly, even on the legendary weapons, they ruin the weapon's aesthetics. The Prophet's Bane is the only cool looking alternate. Hopefully the legendary magnum is just silver and doesn't have some stupid stripe and logo on it.

xboxnerd

Banned
So now we have seen many of the maps, and I am kind of underwhelmed.
All arena maps seen by far are mostly the same industrial style. Where are all the outdoor maps? The ancient maps? I do like the multiple routes and the gameplay mechanics, but the maps really need various art style.

All arena maps seen by far are mostly the same industrial style. Where are all the outdoor maps? The ancient maps? I do like the multiple routes and the gameplay mechanics, but the maps really need various art style.

Yeah would love so see some maps in the style of the Sanghelios campaign space

Bsigg12

So far not including the Breakout or Warzone maps we have:

Truth - Midship inspired purple covie aesthetic.

Regret- Midship remix but in a nature overtakes covie look.

Empire- human industrial aesthetic

Eden- night time human industrial remix of Empire

The Rig - an oil rig looking thing over god knows what. Mostly that industrial look again

Coliseum - outdoor Forerunner with touches of nature aesthetic

Fathom - human industrial, under sea everywhere that doesn't matter but still looks pretty cool

(Can't think of map name) - city with neons and trees in a smaller district

With Warzone with have:

Escape from the Arc (or something to that effect) - outdoor human industrial surrounded by huge walls of water being repelled.

Raid of Apex 7 - mix of Forerunner and human structures on a tropical island. Supposed to evoke ideals of The Silent Cartograper.

Kalentan

I think by now chief is his nick name

Even he knows that. When Hood told Chief that they could technically make him an Admiral for all that he has done, Chief declines it by saying:

"No offense, sir, but "The Admiral" doesn't have quite the same ring to it."

Hood was taken back by this as they never heard John make a joke before. But yeah. Still though it shows that he at least ackowledges that people know him by The Master Chief or just Chief.

Vico

Looking back, I loved Breakout during the beta. I might actually play more of that than regular slayer at launch (unless SWAT is available day one, in that case I'll play it non-stop of course).

Raide

So are breakout matches always played on that weird holo thing? It certainly look like what Forge could end up being. Actually, pretty much all of those maps look like the could have been made in Forge. They don't seem like levels carved out of the world, more like they were plonked there. :D

Forge Stuff Please!!

Thats a lot of Helmets at 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81dswoAYo90

untitled1q0u68.png

xboxnerd

Banned
Coliseum - outdoor Forerunner overrun by nature aesthetic

Sorry but I don't agree with this. There isn't that much "nature" aesthetic, and the color is not vibrant enough to show any characteristic. The Rig and Coliseum look more like Halo 4 maps.

And I think we also have a map setting on street with Autumn aesthetic.

BTW, pulse grenade now leaves some small mines after explosion and also distorts space, which is really cool. And the Scattershot really scatters now. Really nice, they seem to be way more useful and distinct now.

How many maps are they planning to launch with the game for Arena? Are Breakout maps and variants taken into account?

A lot of these maps are from ugly to meh. Fathom and Truth are good, the other ones are too "human" for me and identical. Coliseum is meh.

And where are those fukings Ghost / Scorpions / Banshees etc...?!!!

Bsigg12

Sorry but I don't agree with this. There isn't that much "nature" aesthetic, and the color is not vibrant enough to show any characteristic. The Rig and Coliseum look more like Halo 4 maps.

And I think we also have a map setting on street with Autumn aesthetic.

BTW, pulse grenade now leaves some small mines after explosion and also distorts space, which is really cool. And the Scattershot really scatters now. Really nice, they seem to be way more useful and distinct now.

Yea, there's that city map with all the neons and the cherry blossom that I can't think of the name.

Coliseum is more a Forerunner structure with nature around it so I adjusted my little description.

[Call-Me-G];179900422 said:
How many maps are they planning to launch with the game for Arena? Are Breakout maps and variants taken into account?

A lot of these maps are from ugly to meh. Fathom and Truth are good, the other ones are too "human" for me and identical. Coliseum is meh.

And where are those fukings Ghost / Scorpions / Banshees etc...?!!!

In regards to vehicles, we'll be seeing Warzone stuff on Monday. Keep in mind BTB won't be available at launch but will be added once the maps hit (for free) and will be considered an Arena gametype.

I am really digging the style of the game. The lighting and texture work gives a bit of a stylized 3d anime feel, the scale is huge, and the sound design is superb.

60fps combined with the added speed makes it seem like a really visceral experience. Much hype.

Marvel

could never
Can someone teach me Halo MP? It looks so fun watching a skilled player.

If you are EU I may be able to at least help with your game a little. GT wolfskin

Played Halo a lot. Also it's nice to play it with a friend or two, randoms can be... frustrating.

Top Bottom