• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

KoTH and Oddball not in Halo 5?
untitled288ufj.jpg

Dynasty8

Can someone teach me Halo MP? It looks so fun watching a skilled player.

It is very fun. My suggestion if you're completely new to Halo is to start with the campaigns. They provide great practice IMO and also provide a great story/gameplay.

Just play multiplayer for fun...don't worry at all about your rank or stats. The best way to get good is to keep playing and getting familiar with the controls... Halo is all about weapon & map control, improving your aim, knowing what weapons to use and when, and also working as a team is very crucial.

Madness

YrhnYd2.jpg

Don't get me wrong. Halo 5 looks amazing. But not since Reach, have I liked the way the lighting/maps look. I've talked about it a lot. There is this visual haze and lack of clarity in Halo 4, H2A and Halo 5 that wasn't there before. Plus a lot of their maps use strong tints and lighting and then the whole map is basically that color, bathed in that light.

Compare an outside map like Apex 7 to even Reach, or Halo 3. It's hard to explain. I see it in almost every map, campaign level. This sharpness, color saturation and clarity just doesn't exist.

jelly

Map art isn't very good, think they're giving greater attention to Warzone which isn't that amazing so far either. 343 art never quite has the right balance or sense of place.

Looks like they play good which is important and are not overdone like that Midship inspired map.

derFeef

It is very fun. My suggestion if you're completely new to Halo is to start with the campaigns. They provide great practice IMO and also provide a great story/gameplay.

Just play multiplayer for fun...don't worry at all about your rank or stats. The best way to get good is to keep playing and getting familiar with the controls... Halo is all about weapon & map control, improving your aim, knowing what weapons to use and when, and also working as a team is very crucial.

I finished every Halo do date on Heroic, multiple times even (except Halo 4... did not finish that :p) I am a PC FPS guy, so I guess it's just control problems. Warzone will be my jam I think, Arena will be frustrating at first. But yeah thanks, will give it a shot for sure.

In regards to vehicles, we'll be seeing Warzone stuff on Monday. Keep in mind BTB won't be available at launch but will be added once the maps hit (for free) and will be considered an Arena gametype.

Yeah but Warzone is not BTB... They are making a big mistake by released BTB later.

brobban

I think it looks really amazing graphically, and 60 fps is a fat click of icing on the cake.

The only thing that I've noticed, is that there's no proper reflection (Screen Space). It looks like its resorting to a basic cubemap. For example when they are fighting against the Hunters. It would add a great deal if reflections were dynamic.

But I guess it's a sacrifice due to 16.6ms frametime, and totally worth it.

Some nice stuff in today's coverage, but those breakout maps are the absolute standout. Super impressive to think they were made in forge.

Vico

The only problem with releasing BTB later is that a lot of people will have moved on by then. I don't mind it personnally, as long as it's available by Christmas. I'll still have a lot of stuff to play with in the meantime.

Tunavi

Banned
alright im fuckin impressed

gunplay looks good, no weird balance issues like AA's, the sprint/shield trade off is brilliant. Breakout looks cool, I wish there were shields and BR starts tho

thruster getting abused will be annoying I bet, but thats about it I hope. I wish the DMR didnt come back AGAIN too

GAME LOOKS GOOD

Tunavi

Banned
So are breakout matches always played on that weird holo thing? It certainly look like what Forge could end up being. Actually, pretty much all of those maps look like the could have been made in Forge. They don't seem like levels carved out of the world, more like they were plonked there. :D

Forge Stuff Please!!
im okay with it, thats a sexy map skin.

Not impressed at all with the maps that I've seen, they all look samey and stale, nothing to really set them apart. There better be some unique maps like Ivory Tower, Lockout, Turf and all that good stuff we've gotten in the previous Halo games. This just looks so freaking sterile, I can't get into it. Gameplay looks like a blast though, but if I'm bored of the look of the maps then I don't see me playing multiplayer for a long time.

Tunavi

Banned
Can someone teach me Halo MP? It looks so fun watching a skilled player.
Team based combat. Play matchmaking with friends/gaf and use mics. Lone wolves typically get destroyed. Stick with at least one player at all times if possible. lock down power weapon spawns (h5 makes it very easy to manage). Control the high ground of the maps. halo Combat is based on weapons - grenades - melee. Typically in that order of utility. headshot weapons dominate, but Automatic weapons are good for newer players.
There better be some unique maps like Ivory Tower, Lockout, Turf and all that good stuff we've gotten in the previous Halo games.
Ivory Tower is a terrible map.
Lockout is super overrated IMO
Turf is fun but theres nothing unique about it

The Rig looks bad but most maps are symmetrical and look good for play

Visually, Arena does not look as nice as the campaign. There is much more aliasing...

I'm upset about Warzone: 24 players, 10 times bigger maps, 60 FPS, 20-30 AIs. I'm not expecting this to be beautiful !

There are more options below Neutral Flag. I think I remember playing oddball during the beta...not 100% sure though.
Neutral flag appears partly faded and there's 100% something written below it.

Regardless, I just hope the playlists are better managed. Also, is shitty snipes big enough to warrant its own playlist at launch?

What's strongholds? Oh wait I remember, I played it once and didn't get it, then went back Slayer. Had to use that beta tkme well! It did look interesting though.

Genuine edit: shotty*

Ok - I've tried to go dark on this but couldn't resist watching half of the mission 2 video. Wowzer... this looks incredible, can't wait to get my hands on it!

Madness

Looking really nice and smooth which is fantastic. Also see stinkles as banned? wut?

Self required ban so he won't say anything unnecessary.

Why would he self ban? If he doesn't want to post something, he would just not post. Maybe he just got tired of putting out fires one month from launch, probably didn't want to be here for when Digital Foundry releases their tech analysis and this place breaks apart.

Why would he self ban? If he doesn't want to post something, he would just not post. Maybe he just got tired of putting out fires one month from launch, probably didn't want to be here for when Digital Foundry releases their tech analysis and this place breaks apart.

He didn't - he got banned for using a film quote that had the word "retard" in it. In a Donald Trump thread no less.

Nevermind, I'm sure he'll return.

Team based combat. Play matchmaking with friends/gaf and use mics. Lone wolves typically get destroyed. Stick with at least one player at all times if possible. lock down power weapon spawns (h5 makes it very easy to manage). Control the high ground of the maps. halo Combat is based on weapons - grenades - melee. Typically in that order of utility. headshot weapons dominate, but Automatic weapons are good for newer players.

Ivory Tower is a terrible map.
Lockout is super overrated IMO
Turf is fun but theres nothing unique about it

The Rig looks bad but most maps are symmetrical and look good for play

I was talking about their looks, I never spoke about how the maps play because I myself haven't touched these maps. You're gonna tell me right now that those 3 maps aren't more visually appealing then all of these we just looked at right now. They are way more unique then anything they have shown.

And if those maps don't please you, what about Valhalla, Guardian, High Ground, Blood Gulch, Sidewinder, Sanctuary. I can go on and on about more visually appealing maps in the Halo games.

Really digging the new Light Rifle, feels really good and is very intimidating, being shot at by it is scary.
He didn't - he got banned for using a film quote that had the word "retard" in it. In a Donald Trump thread no less.

Nevermind, I'm sure he'll return.

Damn OK then, I thought he required bans before (pre-E3) so it might be the same thing.

The gametrailers Preview said that there will be only 4 Arena Playlists at launch :/

I hope there will be more today that talks about Playlists, Amount of Maps, MM structure, Server selection etc.

Glass

Loving the new aesthetic to the Breakout maps, I still can't decide if I'd prefer the mode have full shields though. The flag in the middle is a great touch, after the beta I remember hoping they'd add a second way of winning, but with the shields as they are I'm guessing a flag win will be pretty rare?

Tunavi

Banned
The gametrailers Preview said that there will be only 4 Arena Playlists at launch :/

I hope there will be more today that talks about Playlists, Amount of Maps, MM structure, Server selection etc.
Good. Mcc has like 10k players and 20 playlists lol what a joke

Until you can search multiple playlists at once like rocket league, less playlists are better

He hated all the maps he played too, doesn't sound too good to be honest. I don't know if this multiplayer is gonna hold me.

I know this is probably already known by most of you, but no vehicles in Arena either? Man after being on such a high note the past couple days from the campaign stuff I saw this is really putting a damper on all that.

I know this is probably already known by most of you, but no vehicles in Arena either? Man after being on such a high note the past couple days from the campaign stuff I saw this is really putting a damper on all that.

Arena is strictly 4v4 infantry combat.
Vehicles are in Warzone and BTB (coming shortly after launch).

To be honest I always hated vehicles in non-BTB playlists so this is good thing to me.

Arena is strictly 4v4 infantry combat.
Vehicles are in Warzone and BTB (coming shortly after launch).

To be honest I always hated vehicles in non-BTB playlists so this is good thing to me.

Didn't know BTB was coming later on, that's good news then. I still enjoyed vehicles in 4v4 maps. Arena just looks like it's lacking soul, that Gametrailers preview echoes how I feel about this exactly. I dunno, I'm just kinda bummed right now.

xboxnerd

Banned

Hey jumper, I think you overthought what they were saying.
They said 4 playlists but didn't state "at launch". 4 playlists in preview I believe.

01:10

They hated the maps because there are "bullets everywhere". But it should be like that in 4v4 Arena. Halo 2 Midship was such a mess but people loved it. Gametrailer's guys simply like BTB better.

I don't think this is a thorough video, they were just stating their preference. It is what a preview should be because they are not experiencing the full game.

singhr1

Really? What memorable 4v4 map has ever had vehicles? Having a single ghost or banshee on a arena map has almost always been completely useless. Mongoose could have been effective in CTF but in these smaller maps it wouldn't make sense.

Trup1aya

It's been ain't years since I could say this with confidence, but...

The King has Returned!

Ready Up Live footage has been really fun to watch...

I didn't know how to feel about ground pound... But it's really well balanced and pretty damn awesome...

KiboSenshi

Neo Member
Really lovin' the mp lobby UI. I wonder how frequently they are gonna update the game with new cosmetic REQ packs. Also hope there are some helmets/armor tied to accomplishments à la Security or Hayabusa

Unless they're providing a custom-server browser, 4 arena playlists is plainly too few, and a huge bummer if true. Too many playlists has been a problem (particularly in MCC), but proper variety needs to be provided. Where are the 5v5, 6v6 modes? Free-for-all, and multi-team? And esoteric/party gametypes - Infection, Action Sack, Grifball, Rumble Pit?

Akai__

I saw some good Custom Game settings in there, like disabling the map intro. I have mentioned this a coupple of times, so it's cool to see it being there. And seeing the toggle for Assassinations in those options, after it's been confirmed, is also pretty cool.

Seems like 343i actually listened to feedback, which is great. Hoping for much more customization options.

Really lovin' the mp lobby UI. I wonder how frequently they are gonna update the game with new cosmetic REQ packs. Also hope there are some helmets/armor tied to accomplishments à la Security or Hayabusa

Each month, until June 2016.

Hey jumper, I think you overthought what they were saying.
They said 4 playlists but didn't state "at launch". 4 playlists in preview I believe.

01:10

They hated the maps because there are "bullets everywhere". But it should be like that in 4v4 Arena. Halo 2 Midship was such a mess but people loved it. Gametrailer's guys simply like BTB better.

I don't think this is a thorough video, they were just stating their preference. It is what a preview should be because they are not experiencing the full game.

That's not why he hated the maps, he hated the maps because they are basically one small square and it doesn't have the feel of Halo. He explains very well how he loved the maps that had two bases on each end basically giving you a purpose to get to those ends in order to battle it out and you would know along the way where there were certain choke points. The maps had a sense of direction and these do not.

Really? What memorable 4v4 map has ever had vehicles? Having a single ghost or banshee on a arena map has almost always been completely useless. Mongoose could have been effective in CTF but in these smaller maps it wouldn't make sense.

I enjoyed them, never said they were memorable. I liked playing on Zanzibar with vehicles. CTF or Assault on that map 4v4 was awesome.

Top Bottom