• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Jito

Banned
They're not playing co op in that video, when playing co-op it shows the players gamertag instead of the spartan names. AI just looks really shit, maybe it's low difficulty. Guess they don't want the AI Spartans stealing your kills or doing all the work.

Trup1aya

Yeah, why would anyone just sit there if it wasn't AI?

To listen to the grunt chatter... Which appears to be the point of the video...

Hard to hear what they are saying if they are being slaughtered by over zealous AI or coop companions ...

It's pretty clear they're playing on easy... And even on easy, no one would want the AI doing all the work...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo 5 looks good, but yeah Locke is a super shitty character. So fkn boring

I miss sgt Johnson. He was a real character.

How could you ever think the action hero legend, from the classic sci-fi thriller Halo: Nightfall is boring? He's Rambo and the Terminator had an action hero baby.

His blank empty stare and dull monotone voice fires up the passion. And he's black. Like Johnson. Remember Johnson? You liked Johnson.

Leyasu

Banned
Ah man I think Locke is a good character. I also thought that they were good in their opening cinematic.

I'm quite looking forward to playing with Osiris in all honesty.

Edit. Jessie, why don't you trust the pre-order dude??

Never watched it cause forward unto dawn was lame. Maybe I'll check it out

If you didn't like Forward Unto Dawn, I doubt you'll like this. I liked FuD and Nightfall was a step down.

We really don't know enough about Locke to say if he's a bad/boring character yet, but I'd agree from the small slice we have seen, he's doesn't seem to have any endearing qualities.

Bsigg12

Can't wait for Halo 5. Good thing I hadn't preordered yet, got it $10 off with a PayPal deal for GameStop Digital Gift Cards: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buy-a-50-Ga...-Total-Value/281802861316?hash=item419cc26b04

$50 for a $60 digital GameStop Gift Card that I used toward a $60 Xbox Gift Card. Already had $4.80 in my Microsoft Account, so I am good to go. Just waiting on that preload (don't trust the Digital Preorder that is available right now).

What's there to not trust? When the game goes gold you'll be able to preload.

solis74

I loved that small puzzle element in the 2nd mission where the player had to find the switch by exploring. I hope there's a bunch of that. It was made all the more cooler by being in that old Elite ruin like something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Hope there's a bunch of beats where there isn't combat, just exploration.

That was great!

RSB

Banned
Saw this on reddit (I'm not sure if it's been discussed in this thread or not), but each Blue Team member will have different perks alongside their loadouts.

ZEXgOKo.jpg

pqxeROj.jpg

shZOX8r.jpg

xtISZe9.jpg

Definitely a pretty cool touch, and the thread also mentions that Team Osiris will have similar perks as well, although the health regeneration is supposedly replaced with enhanced thruster capabilities for them.

I was going to main Fred but lol at one more grenade
That's cool. Will we be able to choose our character even when playing solo? Or is the character selection reserved for co-op sessions?

Also, I've been watching more videos (some of them, like those from xboxygen, are actually from decent players, thank god) and I gotta say, I love the verticality added to the levels. Combined with all the different paths, the new abilities, etc, it makes the levels seem pretty fun to traverse.

I'm still iffy about the AI though, as I said earlier, it seemed way too passive most of the time. It is especially evident in the elites, their behaviour seems pretty similar to Halo 4, and I don't like it. They should be agressive and fast, like they were in Reach or CE. Anyway, I hope this is an issue related to the difficulty they were playing at, and not a sign of the AI being too easy and dumb.

SaganIsGOAT

Saw this on reddit (I'm not sure if it's been discussed in this thread or not), but each Blue Team member will have different perks alongside their loadouts.

ZEXgOKo.jpg

pqxeROj.jpg

shZOX8r.jpg

xtISZe9.jpg

Definitely a pretty cool touch, and the thread also mentions that Team Osiris will have similar perks as well, although the health regeneration is supposedly replaced with enhanced thruster capabilities for them.

I was going to main Fred but lol at one more grenade

It's weird they have everyone's first name and then "Chief."

Come on, call him John already.

Mdot

Looking sooo good. Can't wait for the MP footage. Hope there are some new map walkthroughs along with regular gameplay. Maybe even some other game types instead of just Slayer or CTF.

Shouldn't Fred have enhanced melee though? If I recall Fred was the best at CQC. Which is why in Halo: Legends, they had him fight a Sangheili with dual daggers, to show said skill.

Take the melee perk from Chief give it to Fred and give Chief the grenade perk.
It seems Fred forgot the basics of CQC

It seems really dumb that Fred would call Master Chief "Chief" instead of John. Also, holy shit that Pelican re-design is still profoundly bad.

In all honestly I'm a little disappointed in the Blue Team intro, because given what we saw in the Osiris intro I expected a lot more.

They are entering two different styles of missions. That alone should explain it. But even then the way Blue Team was introduced was insanely badass and very good from an emotional standpoint. Also, the Osiris intro is a piece of the larger intro for the entire game, so it doesn't surprise me that was amped up to 11.

"How come humans have been showing up in groups of four? I miss the good old days when it was just one dumb guy and a little blue lady!"

Grunts are fucking Halo puritans.

Just fucking awesome really, absolutely love this stuff.

this video shows just how bad the AI is

what is even going on @1:05? why is Kelly crouch walking and not doing anything? why is Fred squatting right next to 3 grunts?

This video indeed really shows some real freaking poor A.I. Jeez....Halo and poor A.I. is something you just never say in one sentence, but this truly is bad. That's why i refuse to believe they will act this way in the final game. Talking about a huge downgrade in A.I.

Stinkles earlier this week did say we should wait for the upcoming previews and read em, well...it sure hasn't made me more confident about that aspect actually. :(

Fotos

Just fucking awesome really, absolutely love this stuff.

This video indeed really shows some real freaking poor A.I. Jeez....Halo and poor A.I. is something you just never say in one sentence, but this truly is bad. That's why i refuse to believe they will act this way in the final game. Talking about a huge downgrade in A.I.

Stinkles earlier this week did say we should wait for the upcoming previews and read em, well...it sure hasn't made me more confident about that aspect actually. :(

It was 4 player coop bro

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but if you notice in comparison to Osiris, Blue Team literally doesn't stray very far from one another at all in their chosen paths on their way to their mission destination.

Blue Team was totally in sync and every move in a specific direction was matched flawlessly by each and every member of Blue Team. It's further driven home with the way they all drew their weapons in synchronous and fired to weaken the glass. All this done without a single word uttered between the four of them.

What's there to not trust? When the game goes gold you'll be able to preload.

Heh, I am just wary. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong... at least with me. As soon as the game goes Gold and the preload goes live then they've got my money :).

Kelly and Fred's names would have been replaced by service tags if they were controlled by players.

6iFWyzz.png

LNBX? Lunchbox? LUNCHBOX!

Edit: And it's already tomorrow. MP previews coming soon, though I will probably be sleeping :(.

Nobody call Big Boss or Snake by their name

Those are two totally different situations. In BB's case most of the characters are already going by code names and in 5 he's their leader.

Master Chief is just a rank, not a code name. It wouldn't make sense for them to call him that when the rest go by actual names.

tuna_love

Banned
Those are two totally different situations. In BB's case most of the characters are already going by code names and in 5 he's their leader.

Master Chief is just a rank, not a code name. It wouldn't make sense for them to call him that when the rest go by actual names.
I think by now chief is his nick name

I really have to say after watching more of the footage that this is easily one of the most beautiful looking first person shooters I've ever seen. It's just so damn good artistically, and the fact that it runs so buttery smooth makes it all the more impressive.

The game's strong visually in so many areas that likely won't be properly appreciated, but it gives even games that run at half the framerate a serious run for their money. The texture or materials quality for one is a lot better than you would expect for a 60fps shooter, the amount of action and freedom of movement in the levels is beautiful to see, and you constantly see these nice little touches whose general high quality can't help but surprise with the game's strict performance goals in mind. The effects they have going on for the forerunner enemies are damn amazing, as are a number of other things I saw.

343i have done an incredible job here, and people can sleep on this all they want, but in my view this game doesn't take a backseat to a single first person shooter shown so far this gen.

Top Bottom