• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

tumblr_mkw983Ubz61rgbdtvo1_500.gif

That was rather interesting and intense and if Killua can keep them for now on.
Feels like its becoming a trend in which characters lose a limb or so at the highest point of a battle and then thankfully get it back by the end. Was afraid it would have been permanent for Gon to have his arm gone, but thank goodness Archangel.

Excellent fight and loved the whole outcome, new appreciation for everyone involved and what not. The new characters in the preview look great.

So hard to rank the arcs, their all so good, maybe Heavens Arena = Greed Island slightly > whole Auction arc

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
IMO the Heaven's Arena arc was the weakest, I really enjoyed this one, but the Auction one was the best.

Rootbeer

Banned
Started watching this on crunchyroll (wow, that site is awesome btw)... 6 eps in, think this is my new favorite anime show.

TommyT

I can't remember, did the original anime show more gore? It seems like they did. Or maybe since the fight was drawn out a bit more it was just more frequent.

At this point, I just want to skip a lot of the upcoming arc and get to the good stuff at the end.

More news on the Chimera Arc

The 20th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine will reveal the full voice cast for the Chimera Ant arc of the HunterxHunter anime on Monday:

Kouki Uchiyama as Chimera Ant King
Ayumi Fujimura as Neferpitō
Wataru Hatano as Shaiapouf
Fumihiko Tachiki as Menthuthuyoupi
Azusa Nakao as Zazan
Kenji Nojima as Colt
Daiki Nakamura as Welfin
Nobuo Tobita as Meleoron
Kikuko Inoue as Palm Siberia
Wataru Takagi as Knuckle Bine
Shinichiro Miki as Knov

The Chimera Ant arc will premiere on April 21.

Rootbeer

Banned
they are fast at getting these episodes out... i'm impressed at how many there already are in such a short period... not to mention there's already been a FILM with at least one more planned

any news on dvd/blu-ray for that? will probably have to rely on fansubs i'm sure.

oh, i ordered figma gon and killua on amiami :p so adorable!

bigkrev

they are fast at getting these episodes out... i'm impressed at how many there already are in such a short period... not to mention there's already been a FILM with at least one more planned

any news on dvd/blu-ray for that? will probably have to rely on fansubs i'm sure.

oh, i ordered figma gon and killua on amiami :p so adorable!

The Figma Killua looks like his mom was smoking while pregnant.... he just looks wrong.

Still no word on it getting licensed, i'm shocked Funi hasn't picked this up and dubbed it yet. Probably getting too late in the game to do it now.

The Figma Killua looks like his mom was smoking while pregnant.... he just looks wrong.

Still no word on it getting licensed, i'm shocked Funi hasn't picked this up and dubbed it yet. Probably getting too late in the game to do it now.

Well considering that Fairy Tail and Toriko didnt have discs and such out here until both series were in the 90's and beyond...its still must be early for them to pick up HxH.

yami4ct

Nah, One Piece was 100s of episodes in after 4Kids dropped it and Funi still picked it up. There is no "too late".

The real question is, does Viz have some claim on it since they did the original show? Perhaps that's why someone hasn't scooped it up yet.

Are they just finishing up Greed Island right now?

I'm still really attached to the older animation; I still have it and all the ova's and I've been waiting until the chimera ants to start watching again.

My absolute favorite manga and anime. Love the characters, story and the writing.
Togashi seems to get REALLY specific and detailed about certain details and that's why I love it. Greed Island is one hell of a 'training arc'. No big time lapses or gap. You see all of the details of how they get better and why with specific instruction. That's why I loved his use of nen, very detailed. I named my first pet ferret Biscuit Kruger.

I loved how the ant saga turned out. I was worried with all of the hiatuses but it turned out to be my favorite Arc. If you haven't read and are just watching, you should fucking love the characters that come in.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You should definitely watch this new adaption of the Greed Island arc. It's so much better than the old OVA's.

And we're getting the chimera ant arc so soon! Damn! I'm so excited. One of my favorite arcs.

I'm still really attached to the older animation; I still have it and all the ova's and I've been waiting until the chimera ants to start watching again.

My absolute favorite manga and anime. Love the characters, story and the writing.
Togashi seems to get REALLY specific and detailed about certain details and that's why I love it. Greed Island is one hell of a 'training arc'. No big time lapses or gap. You see all of the details of how they get better and why with specific instruction. That's why I loved his use of nen, very detailed. I named my first pet ferret Biscuit Kruger.

I loved how the ant saga turned out. I was worried with all of the hiatuses but it turned out to be my favorite Arc. If you haven't read and are just watching, you should fucking love the characters that come in.

I do enjoy actually seeing the characters training themselves to become stronger, not just a time lapse or skip and they're suddenly stronger. It's awesome how they explain the training and why they're doing it.

upandaway

If you find yourself bored in the next week+ up to the first Ant arc episode, you know what to do. Greed Island is really good in the new anime (especially Razor's match). If nothing else, at least watch the Hisoka vs Kastro fight since the old anime completely skipped it and it was fully adapted this time.

Totally agreed with you on the training stuff, it's mesmerizing.

Soriku

Great ending to a great arc.
I wish Bisky could stick around.

Next week, Chimera Ant begins. Can't wait.

tumblr_ml8bssU1Te1r83jklo1_500.jpg

New episode was great. I'm excited they are FINALLY animating the ant arc.

In the manga, it was pretty dark, intense, and serious so I hope that translates well in this series. I also wonder how they will handle the huge panels of text that explained a lot in the manga here.

If you find yourself bored in the next week+ up to the first Ant arc episode, you know what to do. Greed Island is really good in the new anime (especially Razor's match). If nothing else, at least watch the Hisoka vs Kastro fight since the old anime completely skipped it and it was fully adapted this time.

Totally agreed with you on the training stuff, it's mesmerizing.

I thought they did adapt it in the old anime. In fact, I'm sure they did.

Im a huge HxH fan, I have watched the original series a dozen times and with the new series finally caught up to the old anime, my thoughts on the new anime

A pretty solid re-telling of the manga which started quite badly but eventually improved over time with some good use of music, pacing and animation. If I had to tell someone new to watch HxH I would tell them to watch it in this order:

- Hunter Exam (Old anime, boat filler is god-tier and was arc was more fleshed out and brutal)
- Killua Rescue (Old/New anime, doesn't matter)
- Celestial Tower (New but at Hisoka vs Gon fight, watch both and compare, both are equally good in different ways)
- York Shin (Old, darker and better atmosphere with overall better fighting scenes than new, pacing is much better in the old anime and had more emotional impact. Watch new anime for the Kurapica interrogation scene)
- Greed Island (New, pacing is better here and doesn't re-use fight scenes all the time like the OVAs, Dodgeball fight was better in new but I enjoyed the old version as well, new anime made the arc a lot less confusing)

I really can't wait for the Chimera Ant arc, I might just re-read the manga to get familiarise myself!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm going to be end up doing the same. Time to re-read the chimera ant arc in preparation! <3

I still can't believe it's finally getting animated!

I've seen both (old anime and this new one) and I personally prefer this new one. I am really enjoying it A LOT and I definitely enjoy the pacing better.

bigkrev

Hunter x Hunter 75

That pun with the guy's name really didn't work subtitled.

Hope Bisky doesn't fall into the Leorio category of "cool characters we aren't ever seeing again"

upandaway

Latest episode was perfect, oh wow. Argh this series is so good I can't help it. EVERYTHING ABOUT IT

GI is such a good arc. Down to the Accompany trick at the end, everything was touched on.

I thought they did adapt it in the old anime. In fact, I'm sure they did.
Kastro was in the old one.
They.. did, but they didn't. I mean, it was there, but everything after the first arm was a really quick montage and there was no Machi explanation afterwards. I may be wrong off memory, but I'm not even sure they showcased Texture Surprise's effects during the fight. As far as I'm concerned, they skipped it.

tumblr_ml8mqahivR1s5w5v6o1_500.gif

Excellent conclusion to the arc with one of the best friendship scenes in anime for a really long time. Teared up and got all like Bisky there when Gon was like Killua is his bestest friend ever. So glad the writer improved from Yu Yu Hakusho to making such a wholly and fantastic story. I hope the next arc can really keep it up and focused on Killua Gon moments. Also hopefully a few of the other characters get involved (certainly cant be the last time we see of the Spiders, Chrollo, and even Hisoka, Leorio/Kurapika?).

List is great character design too as well as young Ging.

You guys have got me hyped up for the next arc and I don't even know anything about it!

I think the main reason for the hype is it's never been animated before. This current episode is right where it stopped last time.

Also, we won't have to deal with the author's awful, unfinished drawings and can experience it on a weekly basis instead of a whenever the hell the author felt like doing a new chapter. I think it took like 10 years to finish, and we'll see it all in maybe a year.

zero_suit

I think the main reason for the hype is it's never been animated before. This current episode is right where it stopped last time.

Also, we won't have to deal with the author's awful, unfinished drawings and can experience it on a weekly basis instead of a whenever the hell the author felt like doing a new chapter. I think it took like 10 years to finish, and we'll see it all in maybe a year.

Yeah, new fans didn't have to deal with that torture.

Jigolo

Guys I'm interested in starting this shonen. I love watching Naruto and OP every week, but having to actually wait each week is a bummer. Should this fit in perfectly?

A few questions:

Should I watch the original anime before I start 2011? (I don't read the manga)

Any good websites in particular to watch the show?

Guys I'm interested in starting this shonen. I love watching Naruto and OP every week, but having to actually wait each week is a bummer. Should this fit in perfectly?

A few questions:

I believe the original and new are roughly the same, just slightly different style.

The new version has just caught up to where the original stopped.

Piecake

Yeah, new fans didn't have to deal with that torture.

It was my least favorite arc just because of that. Not to mention the shitty drawings. Perhaps the anime will change my mind now that itll actually look good and i wont forget what the hell happened after waiting 3 years for the next chapter to come out

A few questions:

Just start with the new one, and its also all available to watch on crunchyroll (both for free and paying).

We get some updates on the Spider and a bunch of the hunter exam characters, but nothing on Kurapika and Leorio until the following arc.

Well that sucks, I really thought Kurapika and Leorio would play bigger parts in the story, Kurapika especially. Hopefully they make big come backs

KmA

We get some updates on the Spider and a bunch of the hunter exam characters, but nothing on Kurapika and Leorio until the following arc.

T_______T Ahhh this makes me so sad!
Kurapika and Leorio are my favorite characters and this arc, while good, felt kinda empty without them.

Diablos54

Well that sucks, I really thought Kurapika and Leorio would play bigger parts in the story, Kurapika especially. Hopefully they make big come backs
Leorio has a pretty big part in the arc after this one, so that's something. IIRC, the last HxH manga stuff we got was a Kurapika flashback, so he should have a big part in the next manga arc if Togashi actually ever bothers to bring the series off hiatus.

One of the things I definitely prefer in the old series is the voice of Hisoka, it fit so well I was sad when he was recasted even though this new one is pretty decent as well.

One of the things I definitely prefer in the old series is the voice of Hisoka, it fit so well I was sad when he was recasted even though this new one is pretty decent as well.

As someone whose only exposure to the series is the 2011 anime, I think Hisoka's VA is excellent. That isn't to downplay the previous VA, who I've seen receive nothing but praise on here, which I'm sure is well-deserved, but I feel like the new guy deserves a little love too.

Top Bottom