• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I love the psycho mom.

She actually isn't in it too much compared to the others but I do like Zeno and Sylva, especially him for actually being a far better dad than Ging despite being a bad ass super assassin who raises a family of killers.

He died in the worst possible way for somebody like him. Disgraced and alone, crawling on the floor with nobody to pay him any mind.

Yeah he was always the most obsessed about staying pure to their "ant" nature while it seemed like Youpi and even Pitou were starting to come around a bit like the King was. I was actually waiting for something like him turning on the King after he realizes the Meruem is starting to change because of Komugi.

Daingurse

I have grown to like the Zoldyck family nor and more, they are like the Adams Family of the Shonen anime world. Of sure the fat shit brother and psycho mom can be a bit much but the fact they are an actual family who happen to be world famous assassins works pretty good.

Oh I dug the Zoldyck family greatly. I just wanted to learn more about them. Especially the Grandfather Maha, who I felt was hyped heavily. Netero made him sound like a monster of an opponent, and his appearance was so unimposing as little old man. Really wanted to see what kind of Enhancement techniques he had. Only Enhancer in the family I believe.

Dark_castle

I don't think a remake for YYH could live up to the original. Unlike HxH, the original anime covered almost all of the story (iirc) and it had a lot of artistic flourishes throughout. One of the AnimeGAF guys (I think Jehxius but don't quote me on that) did some great episode-by-episode breakdowns of the directing a while back. Plus, the soundtrack is money.

This is my favorite breakdown of HxH ep 135.

Right. I'll just watch the original then.

That's a fantastic breakdown there. I love to read thoughts like that, as it mirrors what I had in my mind, but I lack the writing skills to put it on paper.

Radec

Kuroro got the hax when he stole the girl's prediction ability. Kurapika would have killed half of them.

Would have been fun watching that though.

Just started the invasion in the Chimera Ant arc. First, I want to talk about the Phantom Troupe. They are very proud about their home, Meteor City. They go back to it to protect it from the Ants. It's not something you really see out of villains. And Phinks certainly has a soft side. When they are running from Feitan's Pain Packer, he is carrying Kalluto when just before, these guys aren't willing to help Feitan out in the fight. And he gives Shizuku his clothes because hers are torn.

Second, Komugi provides a clue to the realities of humanity. Meruem underestimates her resolve when he asks for an arm if she loses. Instead, she offers her life and it is something she usually bets. Even then, she feels it wouldn't be worthy because if she loses, she'd consider herself as basically garbage. This idea is driven into all of the Gungi players in East Gorteau. I know it wasn't in the anime, but the King really didn't know the depths of humanity's evil.

Daingurse

Just a figure? Sigh . . . don't know why I felt a glimmer of hope this time lol. Oh well, if the figure looks cool I might get it. Already got the Good Smile Kurapika, but it might look good alongside my Bandai Gon-San.

I just finished all 148 episodes. Thank you so much GAF. My eyes have been opened to the greatness of this anime. What makes it so great is that it's almost entirely unpredictable. I kept expecting certain main characters to die, certain villains to be portrayed under that "villain of the week" stereotype, and Ging to be a tough, but caring father. I got none of that, and received extraordinary character development instead.

My biggest feels moment had to be when the little girl returned with Brovada and was reunited with her mom. I don't cry often at anime, but that got me teary-eyed.

Amazing anime.

Arken2121

Something bothered me about the king vs netero fight. Given the fact that netero's hands were much faster than the kings movements, shouldn't he have never lost? It's like the whole deal with the flash getting tagged but given his speed advantage, no matter how much you can predict, you should never be able to succeed. I feel the same applies to this fight.

Just been bugging me lately.

Edit: also,I don't but the fact that hands with enough strength to push the king back with so much ease caused such little damage.

Daingurse

Something bothered me about the king vs netero fight. Given the fact that netero's hands were much faster than the kings movements, shouldn't he have never lost? It's like the whole deal with the flash getting tagged but given his speed advantage, no matter how much you can predict, you should never be able to succeed. I feel the same applies to this fight.

The King brute forced his way past Netero's superior speed. He was literally just trying every possibly trajectory, and eventually found Netero's unconscious bias, the rhythm present in his technique. Mereum was attacking like what? Hundreds of thousands of times? And it was already understood that he was a genius in terms of strategy and game theory. I bought it. No ability is unbeatable. Even one as strong as Netero's.

Edit: Don't get how you can't buy Netero doing no damage. The entire point of The King was to be a biological juggernaut. His extreme durability was expected. Everything about his character was intentional. This guy is supposed to stand above all living organisms.

Arken2121

But see that doesn't make sense to me. If I'm attacking at the same trajectory every time but with superior speed, you should never be able to respond. It doesn't matter how much of a biased I have, my speed is that much superior.

Edit: also,I don't but the fact that hands with enough strength to push the king back with so much ease caused such little damage.

Netero's movements were much faster but only for his signature technique. I recall Meruem finding it odd that he used his hands in such an inefficient sequence of movements. What I don't remember is why it had to be so

Arken2121

Netero's movements were much faster but only for his signature technique. I recall Meruem finding it odd that he used his hands in such an inefficient sequence of movements. What I don't remember is why it had to be so

Could be due to what was needed to activate the technique.

shira

The king used every posssible attack vector via trial and error.

Daingurse

But see that doesn't make sense to me. If I'm attacking at the same trajectory every time but with superior speed, you should never be able to respond. It doesn't matter how much of a biased I have, my speed is that much superior.

It's really just probability. The chance was always there for Mereum to tag him, but it was just so incredibly minuscule in terms of statistics. Like the analogy they made during the fight, it's like threading one specific needle in a field of needles. And he wasn't just doing one trajectory, he was trying EVERY possible trajectory systematically. Netero was not ready for that shit either, you can really see it on his face the first time he got tagged. Mereum clashed with him so much that he was able to read Netero like a book, even though Netero believed he was doing completely random combinations.

Arken2121

It's really just probability. The chance was always there for Mereum to tag him, but it was just so incredibly minuscule in terms of statistics. Like the analogy they made during the fight, it's like threading one specific needle in a field of needles. And he wasn't just doing one trajectory, he was trying EVERY possible trajectory systematically. Netero was not ready for that shit either, you can really see it on his face the first time he got tagged. Mereum clashed with him so much that he was able to read Netero like a book, even though Netero believed he was doing completely random combinations.

Again,I'm not disagreeing with the logic if it was made against an opponent with similar speed. But we're talking about something that the king himself could barely keep up with eyesight wise.

It's like you coming at me with different trajectory punches each time but with such superior speed, it doesn't matter how I react since you'll never be able to keep up.

Edit: I'm reading far too much into this lol.

Daingurse

Again,I'm not disagreeing with the logic if it was made against an opponent with similar speed. But we're talking about something that the king himself could barely keep up with eyesight wise.

It's like you coming at me with different trajectory punches each time but with such superior speed, it doesn't matter how I react since you'll never be able to keep up.

Edit: I'm reading far too much into this lol.

If I can predict your next move, or next several moves, I can compensate for a difference in speed, and deliver a counter. That's pretty much what Mereum did. He gathered data by attacking Netero hundreds of thousands of times, and was able to make an accurate prediction. He caught Netero slipping, he was not expecting to be read. I don't know man. Mereum being able to tag him made sense to me given his methodology. Hell, the way Mereum went about it is just about the ONLY way I could see him tagging someone with movements faster than he could react/perceive.

Arken2121

If I can predict your next move, or next several moves, I can compensate for a difference in speed, and deliver a counter. That's pretty much what Mereum did. He gathered data by attacking Netero hundreds of thousands of times, and was able to make an accurate prediction. He caught Netero slipping, he was not expecting to be read. I don't know man. Mereum being able to tag him made sense to me given his methodology. Hell, the way Mereum went about it is just about the ONLY way I could see him tagging someone with movements faster than he could react/perceive.

I suppose, I guess I'm just under the assumption that netero's speed made(or should have made) an insurmountable difference.

Feltrol

Banned
IgMyxh.jpg

Daingurse

I suppose, I guess I'm just under the assumption that netero's speed made(or should have made) an insurmountable difference.

Well it almost did. Mereum had no answer at all for that attack at first, and if he was a lesser character I'm not really sure what he could have done besides wait for Netero to use all his aura. It did an excellent job of hyping Mereum up even further.

Arken2121

Well it almost did. Mereum had no answer at all for that attack at first, and if he was a lesser character I'm not really sure what he could have done besides wait for Netero to use all his aura. It did an excellent job of hyping Mereum up even further.

Agreed completely. Appreciate the response. Still going to bug the crap out of me but it is what it is.

Yonafunu

The easiest way to explain it is that by the end Meruem was basically able to predict Netero's attack pattern, and moved accordingly.

Zunja

Seeing people talk about Hunter X Hunter is the closest I get to new content. When I finished watching the show forever ago I only recently found out there was a further along manga. Little did I know it was a bait and the manga wasn't long and made me more upset.

Such a good anime. I know this guy has crazy long hiatuses I just hope he come back lol.

shira

Seeing people talk about Hunter X Hunter is the closest I get to new content. When I finished watching the show forever ago I only recently found out there was a further along manga. Little did I know it was a bait and the manga wasn't long and made me more upset.

Such a good anime. I know this guy has crazy long hiatuses I just hope he come back lol.

back
wink.gif

deleted

Finally finished the Anime. A few thoughts - I was a little disappointed with the Chimera Arc. It was good for what it was, but the pacing felt completely off compared to the rest of the series. Was that because of the Anime closing in on the Manga?
It just dragged on - In the beginning of the fight I was excited for the entirety of fights happening in a minute or so, just because everyone involved was so powerful and we'd see the rest of the arc in slow motion. Also much faster.
I enjoyed the arc after that much more. Felt more like H x H again.
I also felt that the Anime spent too little time to explain the convenient rebirth of Kite. I still don't get how that makes sense at all, given how all the other ants worked before that. Felt like a cheap out because the autor c/wouldn't let the character go.
And I feel the story is on the verge of getting into a power creep, faster stronger etc. problematic, when it was able to sidestep that kind of storytelling very cleverly before that.

I didn't read much of the Manga. But I watched the old Anime and the OVs. Should I read the Manga from the end of the anime on? Seems to be a good time to get into it...

upandaway

Finally finished the Anime. A few thoughts - I was a little disappointed with the Chimera Arc. It was good for what it was, but the pacing felt completely off compared to the rest of the series. Was that because of the Anime closing in on the Manga?
It just dragged on - In the beginning of the fight I was excited for the entirety of fights happening in a minute or so, just because everyone involved was so powerful and we'd see the rest of the arc in slow motion. Also much faster.
I also felt that the Anime spent too little time to explain the convenient rebirth of Kite. I still don't get how that makes sense at all, given how all the other ants worked before that. Felt like a cheap out because the autor c/wouldn't let the character go.
And I feel the story is on the verge of getting into a power creep, faster stronger etc. problematic, when it was able to sidestep that kind of storytelling very cleverly before that.

I didn't read much of the Manga. But I watched the old Anime and the OVs. Should I read the Manga from the end of the anime on? Seems to be a good time to get into it...
It's implied that Kite was able to do that thanks to the ability he rolled against Pitou

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

There wasn't really much power creep and the one moment when a certain character powers up isn't something they do with no consequences. Hell the way Netero win's his battle is basically the opposite of power creep and one of the reasons I liked that particular fight so much.

deleted

It's implied that Kite was able to do that thanks to the ability he rolled against Pitou

Oh? Help me out here - what did he roll again? It's been a while, I took my time with the anime and that was around 50 episodes ago I guess? And how does that connect to a little child inside the queen?

One thing I also don't like with this manga is the designs when the series went on. The Chimera Ants felt the right kind of weird, but during the election arc, all those weird animal like guys clashed hard with the usual style of the series. Especially since a lot of the previously introduced Hunters were also present.

Yonafunu

Oh? Help me out here - what did he roll again? It's been a while, I took my time with the anime and that was around 50 episodes ago I guess? And how does that connect to a little child inside the queen?

One thing I also don't like with this manga is the designs when the series went on. The Chimera Ants felt the right kind of weird, but during the election arc, all those weird animal like guys clashed hard with the usual style of the series. Especially since a lot of the previously introduced Hunters were also present.

When they first meet Ging tells Gon Kite's Crazy Slot has an ability that activates when he really doesn't want to die, and says that maybe that's why he was able to come back. He rolled a three when he started fighting Pitou, but we don't know what number the ability is. There's also the fact that maybe he's just an Ant that remembers everything about his previous life. Maybe because he was the last Ant to be born from the Queen, and thus has the most human in him?

About the Zodiacs, them looking weird was kinda the point. They altered their appearance to look like their animals on purpose. They're not supposed to look 'normal'.

deleted

When they first meet Ging tells Gon Kite's Crazy Slot has an ability that activates when he really doesn't want to die, and says that maybe that's why he was able to come back. He rolled a three when he started fighting Pitou, but we don't know what number the ability is. There's also the fact that maybe he's just an Ant that remembers everything about his previous life. Maybe because he was the last Ant to be born from the Queen, and thus has the most human in him?

About the Zodiacs, them looking weird was kinda the point. They altered their appearance to look like their animals on purpose. They're not supposed to look 'normal'.

Ah, okay - that makes a little more sense, I must have missed that bit.

Right, they altered their appearances and it makes sense for the story - I just don't like that style and the direction, Togashi is taking the series in visually.. It feels a lot more close to One Piece visually when they had a pretty distinct art style before that. (And I'm not particularly fond of OP art style to begin with :p )

Moaradin

Those are all great VAs. Erica Mendez is really great and has quite a lot of range. She'll be able to handle those big moments for Gon.

Rootbeer

Banned
interesting, i wish they'd give a longer sample... you really can't get a sense for gon's voice at all. Kurapika sounds fine though.

Sora_N

LTTP. Saw the old show 8 or so years ago and it was OK.

I'm really enjoying the newer one. I'm a few eps into Greed Island now.

Gosh this anime is so good.

Rewatching it in anticipation of the English dub and the new manga.

Also, I have been going through the manga for the first time. On Vol 26.

Just finished Heaven's Gate. Now time for the GOAT arc.

Daingurse

Gosh this anime is so good.

Rewatching it in anticipation of the English dub and the new manga.

Also, I have been going through the manga for the first time. On Vol 26.

Just finished Heaven's Gate. Now time for the GOAT arc.

Just finished Volume 29 earlier this morning and I swear, I just fucking love the Chimera Ant arc to death. This is pretty easily my favorite shonen arc. Re-reading it has definitely driven that point home. Hell, it's frankly one of my favorite story arcs period.

I'm going watch the english dub for sure. If hope it's at-least half as good as YYH. Because that would be pretty damn good.

Top Bottom