• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
You don't fight the calamities, like you don't fight an Earthquake, Volcano eruption or a Tornado.

I'm sure in time, some "S" ranked individuals will appear that call the dark continent their home and the calamities will be considered minor nuisances to them...

todd360

I want a netero flashback that shows what he was doing when he hit his peak. Before he went into pray and punch the years away mode. He had muscles on his eyeballs and his nen. He surely would be allowed into the salty spitoon.

I want a netero flashback that shows what he was doing when he hit his peak. Before he went into pray and punch the years away mode. He had muscles on his eyeballs and his nen. He surely would be allowed into the salty spitoon.

That was pretty much all Netero did. He was the classic ultra powerful hermit who trained in seclusion. At his peak he would've been able to match Mereum before the blast, perhaps. When he said that he was no longer the strongest human alive to Morel at the start of the invasion he was probably just being humble. Even in his old age he was a monster. He put the fear of God into Mereum.

Ant Arc is amazing. I can understand the dislike of certain moments due to how slow everything moves and the focus on too many side characters, but the feeling of catharsis is almost erotic in how satisfying it is.

If you look up Catharsis in the dictionary you should find a picture of Gon-san.

todd360

That was pretty much all Netero did. He was the classic ultra powerful hermit who trained in seclusion. At his peak he would've been able to match Mereum before the blast, perhaps. When he said that he was no longer the strongest human alive to Morel at the start of the invasion he was probably just being humble. Even in his old age he was a monster. He put the fear of God into Mereum.

I don't think he was being humble. Its hard to imagine that he was being humble after seeing what he could do, but I get the feeling that there are more powerful people than him. I imagine Ging must be a monster when he gets serious. Netero's son is probably pretty legit as well.

I don't think he was being humble. Its hard to imagine that he was being humble after seeing what he could do, but I get the feeling that there are more powerful people than him. I imagine Ging must be a monster when he gets serious. Netero's son is probably pretty legit as well.

That's true. Of the people we know of, Ging, Beyond and the Dragon guy in the Zodiacs must be close to him. We know Netero had a great amount of respect for Ging as a fighter and master of Nen.

I still don't think they could've beaten Netero had he gotten serious, which he wouldn't.

kirblar

Especially when the ending to the epilogue (election) arc is the reveal that
Humans are essentially ants relative to the rest of the world

While the ant arc does have some pacing problems, the arcs highs in terms of writing is in a league of its own when it comes to Shounen

Kieli

While the ant arc does have some pacing problems, the arcs highs in terms of writing is in a league of its own when it comes to Shounen

Pacing issues are the only criticism I have of the ant arc. Unfortunately, the pacing can get downright terrible at times. If it was more succinct, then I'm sure it would have been GOAT.

Betty

Banned
Yes. The arc is where HxH went from being "holy shit this is amazing" to just another shounen. Togashi's writing was the only saving grace, but I hate power creep and that's all the arc was.

Exact opposite for me.

Until the Ant Arc the show was simply one of the best, with the Ant Arc it reached a level I'd never seen in any other show before or since.

It's like every other arc was just preparation for that one.

Ant Arc is far from being typical shonen faire. Yeah it has power levels being upped and the villain is just Cell but its got so much pathos and a real deep examination into the characters of the villain and the protagonist and how you slowly over the course of the arc begin to see the villain become better (or more human) and the hero become more evil (or more monstrous.) Gon is willing to murder an innocent kid just to satiate his revenge and Mereum is willing to die if it means that weak and blind kid can live.

The main villain isn't even defeated in a fight. Think of how many shonen where the main villain of the extremely long arc dies content and in peace and not in a gigantic knock out brawl.

Daingurse

Exact opposite for me.

Until the Ant Arc the show was simply one of the best, with the Ant Arc it reached a level I'd never seen in any other show before or since.

This is how I feel. The Chimera Ant Arc cemented Hunter x Hunter as the best shounen series of all time.

zero_suit

Ant Arc is far from being typical shonen faire. Yeah it has power levels being upped and the villain is just Cell but its got so much pathos and a real deep examination into the characters of the villain and the protagonist and how you slowly over the course of the arc begin to see the villain become better (or more human) and the hero become more evil (or more monstrous.) Gon is willing to murder an innocent kid just to satiate his revenge and Mereum is willing to die if it means that weak and blind kid can live.

The main villain isn't even defeated in a fight. Think of how many shonen where the main villain of the extremely long arc dies content and in piece and not in a gigantic knock out brawl.

There's no way to say it better.

In any other anime, Adult Gon would have fought and defeated the King somehow.

HMD

Exact opposite for me.

Totally agreed, it went from a fun show to one of my favourite shows ever, that Gon fight with
Pitou
was just unbelievable, one of the best build ups/climaxes I have ever seen.

HxH is also a series that splits up its cast all the goddamn time. The five main characters (I count Hisoka as the fifth MC personally. Unofficially part of the group but more important then Leorio) are most of the time off doing their own thing, aside from Gon and Killua and now even those two have split.

Imagine if in One Piece the 9 crew members just disappeared for years on end to go do their own thing. That would not happen. Sometimes they do get split up for long periods of time, but its never of their own volition. Except Usopp once.

Kieli

Another thing I don't like is how Kurapika's growth trajectory is even faster than Gon and Killua, who are bonafide geniuses whose ceiling is beyond the likes of Chrollo, Hisoka, and Illumi.

kirblar

Another thing I don't like is how Kurapika's growth trajectory is even faster than Gon and Killua, who are bonafide geniuses whose ceiling is beyond the likes of Chrollo, Hisoka, and Illumi.
Kurapika's leveraging a combination of genetic hacks and Nen restrictions to put a multiplier on his power level.

Riposte

HxH is also a series that splits up its cast all the goddamn time. The five main characters (I count Hisoka as the fifth MC personally. Unofficially part of the group but more important then Leorio) are most of the time off doing their own thing, aside from Gon and Killua and now even those two have split.

Imagine if in One Piece the 9 crew members just disappeared for years on end to go do their own thing. That would not happen. Sometimes they do get split up for long periods of time, but its never of their own volition. Except Usopp once.

Isn't that happening in One Piece right now?

Kieli

Kurapika's leveraging a combination of genetic hacks and Nen restrictions to put a multiplier on his power level.

The nen restrictions don't seem to be restricting him much. He pretty much got an anti-Spider tech for free and doesn't seem to be all that gimped vs. non-Spiders. :\

Dude was even going around threatening Zodiacs. I think he is getting a little too big for his britches.

zero_suit

The nen restrictions don't seem to be restricting him much. He pretty much got an anti-Spider tech for free and doesn't seem to be all that gimped vs. non-Spiders. :\

Dude was even going around threatening Zodiacs. I think he is getting a little too big for his britches.

Don't worry. He'll probably bite the bullet in the Dark Continent.

Nerokis

Pacing issues are the only criticism I have of the ant arc. Unfortunately, the pacing can get downright terrible at times. If it was more succinct, then I'm sure it would have been GOAT.

Agreed. All the excessive narration was like a ball and chain around the arc. It could be almost infuriating at times. Yes, I see what's happening on the screen - why do you constantly feel the need to turn this into a bizarre power point presentation?

Overall, I love the ant arc, and I have a lot of appreciation for what a unique take on the genre it is. But man, it eventually reached the point that hearing the narrator's monotone voice would make my blood start to boil, and I can't remember the last time a show frustrated me so much. I can understand some people disliking it, and I envy those who weren't as sensitive to the pacing slowdown.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Doesn't sound like a very :Togashi thing to do to me.

Why not? YuYu Hakusho had incessantly bigger baddies following the preceding one... Rando > Gouki > Saint Beasts > Toguro > Sensui > Yokai realm Tournament. I think HxH mimics YuYu a fair bit so I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case but hey these are only opinions, we'll see who's right in the coming months/years

Radec

I Hated the ant arc in the manga, but after watching it fully in anime, it won me over. Sure there episodesthat are not interesting but as a whole it was great.

egruntz

shelaughz
While I agree that the ant arc drags in the middle, but I have to say, it has the most satisfying climax in the anime. Which makes it all worth it imo.

Do you mean the bullshit where Gon ages by 20 years to go super sayan?

...nope

And then Kite being reborn into a girl?

...nope

Limit

The ant arc is what turns HxH from a great show into a masterpiece in animation history. Just exquisite storytelling. Even something like Gon's powerup that came out of nowhere had severe consequences. Heck, there is an entire pseudo arc trying to prevent him from dying because of that momentary powerup. Beautifully done. I just feel bad for people who find themselves unable to appreciate this for variety for reasons. It's tragic.

Dark_castle

Chimera Ant arc is fantastic. Though it does have pacing issue in the middle and the narrator wouldn't shut the hell up. Once it picks up, it's one hell of a ride. I especially love how it's a secret love story disguised as a dark, fighting shounen arc upon the conclusion. Yes there are a lot of dialogue, perhaps a little too much, but the pay off is so great and satisfying when you made it to the end and knew the characters so well and came to see what happens to them in the end.

I feel like there are double standards for this arc when compared to other 'great' shows in other TV genres.

For instance, no one would call a season of The Wire or BB incredible or groundbreaking if episodes 1-12 of 15 were all bloated slogs, even if the last 3 were great

I'll be fully honest that I skipped the last 15-20 of ant arc tho. Couldn't take it lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I feel like there are double standards for this arc when compared to other 'great' shows in other TV genres.

For instance, no one would call a season of The Wire or BB incredible or groundbreaking if episodes 1-12 of 15 were all bloated slogs, even if the last 3 were great

I'll be fully honest that I skipped the last 15-20 of ant arc tho. Couldn't take it lol

So why should we listen to your opinion on the arc if you didn't watch like an entire third of the arc including the entire conclusion? That's like me bitching about the pacing in game of Thrones and going,"well I didn't watch the last season but I'm still going to critique it!"

? Mureaum was very impressed by his strength, but in no way feared him. It was basically shown that there was an unbridgeable gulf between them. The King was special, he was a god like being given his nen power. Given enough time and consumption, he could have become unbeatable. He is the equivalent of Alpha Go. He was very young when he fought Netero and still overwhelmed him with no special techniques...

I also think that there are some more powerful characters around than Netero. Don Freecs will likely be one if he is still around, given that he apparently made the Dark Continent his home and seems to be the only one who not only went there, but stayed for a long period of time.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
? Mureaum was very impressed by his strength, but in no way feared him. It was basically shown that there was an unbridgeable gulf between them. The King was special, he was a god like being given his nen power. Given enough time and consumption, he could have become unbeatable. He is the equivalent of Alpha Go. He was very young when he fought Netero and still overwhelmed him with no special techniques...

I also think that there are some more powerful characters around than Netero. Don Freecs will likely be one if he is still around, given that he apparently made the Dark Continent his home and seems to be the only one who not only went there, but stayed for a long period of time.

Actually I do believe the King felt fear from Netero when he thought he had him beaten after removing his arm and leg but still had him acting defiant and of course the evil old man laugh even after he has used Zero Hand definitely made the King pause and I believe the narrator even states it was the first time he'd been truly afraid.

HorribleSubs-Hunter-X-Hunter-126-720p.mkv_snapshot_19.53_2014.07.09_21.46.40.jpg

Fraxin

No one thinks Hisoka might be really powerful, and we have yet to see his strength?

jett

D-Member
The pacing in the Chimera Ant was excruciatingly slow. If I had had to watch one episode a week I think I would've abandoned the show.

Top Bottom