• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

SUq2bnD.jpg

Lol, that is totally the vibe that the OT post gives off. I freaking love these faces.

Orkidea

Small bump

But I started this anime a couple days ago and I'm hooked. Just finished the first exam arc and moving onto ep 22. Love Killua and Hisoka

GunBR

I started to watch in 2014 but stopped after the Hunter Exam arc
It had great characters, but for me was lacking the humor and action of Yuyu Hakusho.

But with Yuyu being my favorite anime of all time, I think I should give a second chance to Hunter someday

Permanently A

It had great characters, but for me was lacking the humor and action of Yuyu Hakusho.

But with Yuyu being my favorite anime of all time, I think I should give a second chance to Hunter someday

I think you stopped right when it gets good lol

the Hunter Exam arc is the weakest for sure imo

Daingurse

That's way too early to stop IMO. Trust me, you haven't seen anything! HxH starts a bit slow, but really hits it's groove, and just keeps escalating and escalating. If you love YYH, I'd definitely give it another shot.

Daingurse

The arc after the exam is probably the worst though.

Yeah, I'd agree, but I still wouldn't call that a bad arc. I found the Zoldyck dynamic to be very interesting, and it established the importantance of Gon and Killua's relationship. Was a pretty short arc too, so it didn't drag.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
As someone who was really not into the show at first and was only sticking with it because I had caught a glimpse of a certain moment much much later on in the series that everyone who has finished it knows what I'm talking about. Well I was like, that looks AWESOME and decided to give it a go. Was not a fan at all, thought Gon was another Goku super strong kid who everyone loves and gets along great with. Really only liked Leorio honestly and they hurt that with his pervy fingering moment. Anyways we get to the second Arc and that's when it started getting better, that fight with Hisoka! Shit! From there it got better and better and I even re evaluated my thoughts on the first parts once I saw where all the characters ended up both in personal growth and all the crazy adventures they got into.

I've finished the anime, caught up to the events in the manga and I'm hooked. You got me Togashi and this comes from someone who has few kind things to say about Bleach, Naruto and most Shonens. Though honestly I'm not even sure I consider HxH a pure Shonen at this point, it goes through some heavy shit and has some heart wrenching moments through out. A certain huge arc in the second half is full of these, also some straight hilarious and wtf moments.

Hisoka is also one of the best antagonists and I started out hating him as something of a stupid magic clown. Really it towers over nearly every other Shonens and one of my favorite parts is how it plays against expectations especially if you've watched other Shonens. The first major tournament arc is... well its something else haha

Just keep up with it. If you make it to Yorknew City and still don't like then it might not be fore you but that's where all the character and world building starts to take off and expand into something much larger. Hell the manga is going some pretty crazy places when the anime series stops.

Learned this week that the Exam arc is heavily neutered from the Manga due to HxH starting off as a Saturday morning timeslot show.

I did not know this, that would explain a lot of things and why I was a bit blind sided by some of the crazier things that went down in some of the later arcs.

Slaythe

In some weird way I appreciate the censorship early on in the anime. Makes the tonal shifts later on even more shocking.

Too bad it's combined with the worst design in the series, that look completely goofy and hard to take seriously :/ .

There is no excuse for ruining all those scenes in the beginning.

HStallion

Too bad it's combined with the worst design in the series, that look completely goofy and hard to take seriously :/ .

There is no excuse for ruining all those scenes in the beginning.

I just tell a lot of people to watch the original anime series since I think it sets up everything a lot better even if it does add in stuff as it goes and its got a much more somber tone.

Betty

Banned
I just tell a lot of people to watch the original anime series since I think it sets up everything a lot better even if it does add in stuff as it goes and its got a much more somber tone.

The original anime is so bad compared to the new one though, there's so much filler and Killua's voice sounds way too close to Gon's.

People are calling the OG anime's filler good?

There was an entire episode where they literally stop during the running part of the exam to fight a tree, then resume the run like it was nothing.

HStallion

The original anime is so bad compared to the new one though, there's so much filler and Killua's voice sounds way too close to Gon's.

People are calling the OG anime's filler good?

There was an entire episode where they literally stop during the running part of the exam to fight a tree, then resume the run like it was nothing.

I didn't like all the filler but the overall tone of the show was a bit more adult from the go. Even the first episode feels better with their actually being some real emotion about Ging being a shitty dad who abandoned his kid on Whale Island from Mito and just things not being quite so sunny. Also cutting out that small part with Kite early on was a big mistake in the newer version as he kind of just shows up at the beginning of the CA arc.

The ship part in the OG hunter exam arc is really good.

The 2011 version omitted a rather critical part of the series:
it did not introduce Kite, which made Gon's reaction to his death too overdramatic.
And personally, York New arc was heaps better in OG. The atmosphere was just a lot more grim.

OG did a lot of good stuff on its own.
The heaven's arc ending felt like an actual graduation while being a more heartfelt goodbye. Gon and Killua getting caught by Nobunaga for the first time had more impact.
2011 was simply very consistent about its quality, didn't have the constant recycling of sound effects of OG and didn't have the bad OVA to bridge it.

HStallion

They need to Games of Thrones this shit.

Like a live action adaptation? Haha how would they do Nen any justice?

Edit: or did you mean the anime just keeps going and doing its own thing after running out of material to adapt? Because nah to that. We saw what happened in Naruto.

I finished what's there so far. Was a really fun ride. Started on Netflix, ended somewhere else. Only thing that I hate is that they do the classic ambiguous power thing with Hisoka. Really he shouldn't be that strong with his non-big-bang techniques, but he's probably on some truly ridiculous level if they really showed his power.

My favoite thing about this anime is how it builds and accumulates. Gon goes from being a simpleton personality to hinting at something very dynamic, and he'll only get more interesting. Also unlike a lot of anime, they do a good job explaining why Gon and Killua are unique and talented, and are able to improve so fast.

Dragun619

Like a live action adaptation? Haha how would they do Nen any justice?

Edit: or did you mean the anime just keeps going and doing its own thing after running out of material to adapt? Because nah to that. We saw what happened in Naruto.

I mean, if he mentioned GoT, then I'm assuming he wants them to go directly to Togashi, and have him describe the next whole arc & plan and then they work from there.

Which I actually kinda think Togashi should consider, especially if he's still has struggles with his health, but so far I hear he's doing good with the latest chapters so that's good to hear.

Permanently A

The ship part in the OG hunter exam arc is really good.

The 2011 version omitted a rather critical part of the series:
it did not introduce Kite, which made Gon's reaction to his death too overdramatic.
And personally, York New arc was heaps better in OG. The atmosphere was just a lot more grim.

OG did a lot of good stuff on its own.
The heaven's arc ending felt like an actual graduation while being a more heartfelt goodbye. Gon and Killua getting caught by Nobunaga for the first time had more impact.
2011 was simply very consistent about its quality, didn't have the constant recycling of sound effects of OG and didn't have the bad OVA to bridge it.

That scene you mentioned in the spoiler is one of my favorite in the entire anime, it's just pure "oh SHIT" and I thought it was directed beautifully so now I'm really curious to see the OG anime version.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I finished what's there so far. Was a really fun ride. Started on Netflix, ended somewhere else. Only thing that I hate is that they do the classic ambiguous power thing with Hisoka. Really he shouldn't be that strong with his non-big-bang techniques, but he's probably on some truly ridiculous level if they really showed his power.

My favoite thing about this anime is how it builds and accumulates. Gon goes from being a simpleton personality to hinting at something very dynamic, and he'll only get more interesting. Also unlike a lot of anime, they do a good job explaining why Gon and Killua are unique and talented, and are able to improve so fast.

Hisoka pales in comparison to the top of the HxH universe. His power level is probably slightly below Chrollo and in the same league as Illumi but the Royal Guard ants and Meruem would wreck him

HStallion

I mean, if he mentioned GoT, then I'm assuming he wants them to go directly to Togashi, and have him describe the next whole arc & plan and then they work from there.

Which I actually kinda think Togashi should consider, especially if he's still has struggles with his health, but so far I hear he's doing good with the latest chapters so that's good to hear.

Can I ask if you've read the GoT books? Because the show and the books are very very very different at this point. Yeah they might follow the same general through line but they're just making stuff up at this point to get there.

Daingurse

Hisoka pales in comparison to the top of the HxH universe. His power level is probably slightly below Chrollo and in the same league as Illumi but the Royal Guard ants and Meruem would wreck him

I honestly think Hisoka might be up there in terms of strength (not counting Chimera Ants of course). He's just so damn confident in his own power, and I feel there has to be a legitimate reason for that. I honestly think this panel posted earlier is going to ring true:

rMrtvmN.png

zero_suit

Meruem would blink and Hisoka is dead. Royal Guards would wreck him as well.

Their durability is off the charts. I have not seen any attacks by Hisoka that would inflict severe damage to them. Also, attaching Bungee Gum to them would be suicide.

I'm just talking about the RG. Meruem shouldn't even be in this conversation.

Dragun619

Can I ask if you've read the GoT books? Because the show and the books are very very very different at this point. Yeah they might follow the same general through line but they're just making stuff up at this point to get there.

Nah, I haven't. I assumed that's what it was though. Just recently came across some comments from Robert Kirkman and how he's disappointed that George let them spoil his own upcoming book through the show, so.

If they are making stuff up to get to that point, Then alright, yea, I agree. We have to avoid that Naruto/ filler shit situation at all costs, hah.

Allonym

You can put me on the camp that doesn't believe the Royal Guard would destroy hisoka and co.

Then something is wrong, I think he would fare about as well as Kite did and provide minor, momentary entertainment but nah...definitely not. Netero believes Pitou was more powerful than he was and if you're making the argument that Hisoka is more powerful then Netero than I think you be a part of a very small group. The entire Royal Guard would decimate him, Hisoka was essentially debilitated by Razor throwing a ball at him lol

Hisoka is strong but the gap between people like Hisoka, Chrollo and Illumi compared to the royal guards, Netero and Mereum is severe

Royal guards were pretty much unbeatable by the team they had.

Daingurse

Hisoka is strong but the gap between people like Hisoka, Chrollo and Illumi compared to the royal guards, Netero and Mereum is severe

Royal guards were pretty much unbeatable by the team they had.

The Royal Guards are too much. You gotta be like Netero or Gon-San level to fight them 1v1. Ging I also assume could throw downwith them. But hell, even Netero himself said Pitou had way more raw power and aura than him. The Chimera Ants were just insanely strong.

Allonym

The Royal Guards are too much. You gotta be like Netero or Gon-San level to fight them 1v1. Ging I also assume could throw downwith them. But hell, even Netero himself said Pitou had way more raw power and aura than him. The Chimera Ants were just insanely strong.

And those fuckers are supposed to be "B" level threats to humanity!

And those fuckers are supposed to be "B" level threats to humanity!

That's because the A level threats are more like forces of nature you cant even attempt to fight.

It's a shame we didn't really get to see much of Ging in the anime. What's his nen ability?

Still dunno. Even Netero was impressed by his level of Nen, he can do a lot just flexing his aura.
He even copied Leorio's ability, somewhat.

Snakeyes

Is this anime indefinitely cancelled?
Not cancelled, just not in active production until there's enough new material to be adapted. Based on the pacing of the show, 45 to 50 chapters equals 26 episodes. So far we've gotten 17 new chapters from where the anime left off, which means we're still at least half a year away from the point when a continuation could be greenlit, and that's if Togashi doesn't go on another extended hiatus.

Nightbird

Not cancelled, just not in active production until there's enough new material to be adapted. Based on the pacing of the show, 45 to 50 chapters equals 26 episodes. So far we've gotten 17 new chapters from where the anime left off, which means we're still at least half a year away from the point when a continuation could be greenlit, and that's if Togashi doesn't go on another extended hiatus.

And we all know this is bound to happen soon.

Top Bottom