• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Media

Fjordson

Level system for zones sounds pretty good. As long as it isn't hardcore scaling bullshit. Hopefully there are plenty of cool unique items to find and the loot doesn't scale too much either (one of the few things I hate in Skyrim).

Astra

Level scaling doesn't seem too bad. Sounds just like Skyrim's. Which is just fine, as I was happy with the enemy scaling there. Loot scaling in Skyrim, however, I didn't like so much. Always scaled with your character, with a few exceptions. (Dragon Priest loot)
If Reckoning isn't like that, and you're able to find loot way beyond your level if you're able to meet the challenge of the dungeon or whatever, then I am very happy about that.

Everyone is born with a set destiny. You're the first motherfucker in history to be born without one (which is a very interesting way to mix story/gameplay). This obviously changes everything.

Pretty much this.

You a dead mofo, your destiny ended in you being bumped off ... but some lil guy brings you back to life and BAAAM, you're a fate-less/ non-destiny having person walking around .... which changes the fates of everyone in the world.

AceLegacy

Everyone is born with a set destiny. You're the first motherfucker in history to be born without one (which is a very interesting way to mix story/gameplay). This obviously changes everything.
Well you are not born without a fate.
You died and were brought back so you don't have one since the threads of fate have been cut already.

Atruvius

If you guys are interested Hanar made a developer index over at the 38 watch wiki, in it you can find all kinds of information on different topics. Including leveling, their world building, quests, customization, all kinds of stuff. This is all stuff they have answered on their forums, they are really pretty open on just about everything you'd want to know.

He did a great job with this and it's a great resource for finding answers to lots of questions,

you can find it here:

http://www.38watch.com/forums/showthread.php?2190-The-38-Studios-Developer-Index

Read a few pages and got so excited I had to pre-order the game. Not going to even download the game. Partial media blackout starting now (not gonna watch any videos or screens).

Going to make a mage because almost always I'm playing as slow heavy-armored knight and it just got too boring in Skyrim. Mage also has some cool looking spells AND chakrams, flaming chakrams.

So excited!

DaBuddaDa

It seems the loadings will be tedious after sometime... (Witcher 1)

I'm gonna spring for the PC version, hopefully the load times will be OK there. What sealed the deal is learning that the game will have seamless kb/m + 360 controller swapping on PC. Best of both worlds, as a third person action game like this virtually requires the use of analog sticks.

So I've seen some vids that feature characters using conjured weapons, like a glowy hammer and a pair of swords attached to wrists(?). Anyone know if it's possible to create a character that's specialized in conjuring weapons and has an entire arsenal of of them? I've always thought it was cool how a character could walk around seemingly unarmed and then pull out a weapon from thin air.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but has there been any talk about the length of this game?
From what I remember of the Invisible Walls interview, they said you'd probably average about 200 hours of playtime, since the playtesters couldn't even get under the 100 hour mark during speedruns.

Khezu

So I've seen some vids that feature characters using conjured weapons, like a glowy hammer and a pair of swords attached to wrists(?). Anyone know if it's possible to create a character that's specialized in conjuring weapons and has an entire arsenal of of them? I've always thought it was cool how a character could walk around seemingly unarmed and then pull out a weapon from thin air.

Like blue energy looking weapons? Those seem to be exclusive to the rage mode power up.

ironcreed

Banned
Glad to see that you can run around being a bastard if the mood takes you. I especially liked that if you choose to go to jail that breaking out is actually a quest. Good way to handle that. Can't wait to mess around with the demo on Tuesday. The game just keeps looking better and better.

Aaron

Game is looking awesome, although the MMO DNA is clearly visible. Depending on the reviews, I might be there day 1.
It shouldn't be since the game was originally started under THQ and was just adapted to fit the MMO 38 Studios is working on when they bought the developer Big Huge Games. It still looks a lot like that early reveal, only much more polished and refined. I think it's more than MMOs co-oped the model of western RPGs and haven't changed from that core since.

Jinaar

I've known about this game for a good month or so but last night I finally watch the videos they have released on it. I've been literally searching for this game since leaving WoW in 2007. Just a great open world where I can be/look badass, covered over by great story/music/sound/graphics. Feb 7th is not coming fast enough now. Never watch something you will long. The pain is too great with the wait. PC it has to be, hopefully Origin free. Personal preference not to have to download another service to the computer. Keep it clean, keep it safe.

ironcreed

Banned
I really appreciate the vibrant high fantasy setting coupled with still being violent and brutal. Just dark and graphic enough in a world filled with a beautifully colorful and magical atmosphere. I am especially fond of the waterfalls. Just gorgeous.

jet1911

The levelling system reminds me of the one in Titan Quest which is awesome. Woo! :)

EDIT: And the loot seems cool and diverse too. Watch and learn Bethesda.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Probably the most bland UI I've seen in quite some time. Game looks great, though.

Edit: Okay, not bland, downright ugly. This is the worst - and it looks all pixelated too, damn.

Nista

Probably the most bland UI I've seen in quite some time. Game looks great, though.

Edit: Okay, not bland, downright ugly.

Yeah the UI is the one place I think it doesn't compete well with other recent console RPGs. And you can't mod it away on the PC version. Ah well, I forgive them for making my hording tendencies in RPGs more painful than needs be.

You can jump at specific points, but no free jump. It saves us from terrible 13-2 style platforming, so I won't complain about that. Rolling and teleporting are cool enough.

Ghost23

So how is everyone going to play the game? Im going to be focusing on sorcery and finesse, but it will probably be a 70-30 sorcery-finesse ratio.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So how is everyone going to play the game? Im going to be focusing on sorcery and finesse, but it will probably be a 70-30 sorcery-finesse ratio.

Rogue with a smattering of magical prowess.

I'm pretty stoked that they've made pretty much every improvement I was hoping they'd make from the initial videos. The overworld is much more populated, the combat doesn't looks as "dial a beatdown" and the art style has been refined to really pop. Add to it that map size, and I'm really stoked. Demo is Tuesday, yeah?

Wallach

Rogue with a smattering of magical prowess.

I'm pretty stoked that they've made pretty much every improvement I was hoping they'd make from the initial videos. The overworld is much more populated, the combat doesn't looks as "dial a beatdown" and the art style has been refined to really pop. Add to it that map size, and I'm really stoked. Demo is Tuesday, yeah?

Yeah, the 17th.

I'll probably be going pretty much all wizardly and doing magical things.

Einbroch

Banned

I'm going brute. I always go caster in these games, but dammit I love actiony combat and I want to see what it's like being a bruising badass.

Maffis

Loading time seems very very long. That's definitely going to become annoying in the long run.

Do people you murder stay permanently dead?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Loading time seems very very long. That's definitely going to become annoying in the long run.

Do people you murder stay permanently dead?

Which is why I'll be getting it on PC, most likely. Load times, as a general rule, are massively reduced on a PC (I'm sure everybody knows this, but hey)

abundant

Sorcery and Might for me. Mostly focus on magic, with some Might abilities to enhance my defense. Can't wait until Tuesday.

Top Bottom