• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Matrix Trilogy Supposedly in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalmarc

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/28/rumor-a-new-matrix-trilogy-is-in-the-works

According to Latin review, hmm i'll take that with a pinch of salt

From the ign article

Rumor: A New Matrix Trilogy Is in the Works
Word has it that the Wachowskis are about to take the Red Pill again.
by Scott Collura FEBRUARY 28, 2014
SUBMIT TWEET SHARE +1 SHARE

We’ve heard about a return to the world of the Matrix on the big screen here and there over the years, but now a new report indicates that Warner Bros. and series creators the Wachowski siblings are moving ahead on a new trilogy in the series.

Latino Review has the scoop, saying that the Wachowskis have started the writing process and have turned in treatments and outlines to Warners. It’s not clear whether or not they’ll direct the films, if they actually come to pass.

Also not clear: Whether or not Keanu Reeves or any original cast members will return. LR does say one of the early outlines is about the birth of the Matrix, which would predate Neo.

This is all very early in the process, obviously, and that’s assuming that LR’s sources are even correct. But if they are -- which they usually are -- what do you guys think? Is a return to the Matrix in order?

Mononoke

Banned
Liked the first movie. Thought the Animatrix was amazing. But I really hated the second and third movie. The universe is incredible, no doubt. I don't know how they can do three more movies, when they couldn't even really do a good job with the first three.

DrBo42

This is all very early in the process, obviously, and that’s assuming that LR’s sources are even correct. But if they are -- which they usually are -- what do you guys think? Is a return to the Matrix in order?

Not sure that's true. Regardless, no thanks.

Xav

To be honest I'm not too concerned whether it will be a good movie or not. I just watch to see guys in suits punch each other in slow motion.

The first Matrix was cool but there's no redeeming the series after Reloaded & Revolutions.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Eh... Why not? Can't get worse than Revolutions.

Exactly. I already consider the first one to be the only "real" one. No reason not to at this point, I'll probably watch at least the first to check it out. Let's do this.

Metalmarc

I'd hope they'd let other directors take a shot at it, or even develop it into a T.V series of self contained stories maybe rather than one large series spanning story, kinda like Animatrix, short stories but live action and if needs be some stories could be two parters.

Yes please! Honestly, I liked Reloaded AND Revolutions, and a semi-origin story could be really good. I'm curious when it would take place, as we know the true birth of the Matrix already from the Animatrix.

A prequel trilogy could be amazing.
Unfortunately Neo never lived up to his supposed ability to bend the Matrix to his will. There was so much unused potential in that. He should have been less hands-on fighting and more god-like.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Has Latino Review been right about anything in recent months?

Feels like they're one step away from being the Daily Mail.

Oh yeah I'm ready! The Matrix hit me like a tonne of fucking bricks when I saw it on opening night. I knew nothing about the movie before I saw it and it shocked me. I wanna be shocked again!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Assuming this is true, I would be down for some more bullet time. Would be awesome if one of the movies took place before the war broke out. Following that one Animatrix short.

DonDraper

Banned
Was the Matrix always planned out as a trilogy from the start? I've been of the belief that the original Matrix was just supposed to be a one off kind of thing and when it hit big the idea of a trilogy was then put out there. Which means, they had no clue what to do after the first one and made up a bunch of shit that turned out to suck in the following two.

If planned out as a trilogy from the start, it could be decent, I suppose.

sO7A7ja.jpg

Just pull your heads out of your asses with the philosophy bullshit please.

Guesong

Could be interesting if they make canon some of the stuff that happened in the Matrix MMO.

Though I don't remember too well how that ended.

Guevara

In retrospect the only good part of the entire franchise (including the games, anime, all the movies, etc.) was the first film.

NotLiquid

QgQTNIZ.gif

It doesn't really need a new trilogy. The series felt as conclusive as it could possibly get, and if it's a prequel I hate wasting time on those. But like Star Wars, I wouldn't mind to see them try follow things up, if only because the series kind of went out with a whimper and could deserve something fresh and new.

Prompto

Banned
Fuck it, might as well do it. If its good, it's good. It's not like it's gonna tarnish the brand any further after Reloaded and Revolutions.

elektrixx

Banned
Okay. I'm interested, but I don't think I want it to have anything to do with previous characters or that version of the matrix in story.

My opinion of the last two movies improved dramatically after a recent re-watching. Would definitely be down for some more.

Darksol

He should have been less hands-on fighting and more god-like.

He brought the Logos (literally 'the word') to Machine city, was blinded, saw the machines spiritual light, surrendered to his enemies, died (literally making a cross in one of the shots) and redeemed mankind for a peaceful(ish) new beginning.

Sounds slightly godly to me.

Darksol

Was the Matrix always planned out as a trilogy from the start? I've been of the belief that the original Matrix was just supposed to be a one off kind of thing and when it hit big the idea of a trilogy was then put out there. Which means, they had no clue what to do after the first one and made up a bunch of shit that turned out to suck in the following two.

If planned out as a trilogy from the start, it could be decent, I suppose.

It was always planned as a trilogy, but getting the greenlight for films 2 and 3 hinged upon the sucess of the first film.

I'd prefer an action game set in the Matrix universe than a new trilogy, but the brand isn't what it used to be so I know that's not happening. I doubt this rumor is true, but if it is I wouldn't mind it if it's a prequel to the original trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom