• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Matrix Trilogy Supposedly in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

As someone who has matrix 1 as his favorite movie ever I say: Sure, why not. Worst case scenario, these new movies suck yet provide some nice eye candy just like Reloaded and Revolutions.

Do it.

Like I said in a previous thread, nobody has attempted a transmedia product on the scale of the Matrix since the original trilogy. Even if it is a collosal disaster, it worth it just to see if the Wachowskis could do it again.

That said, I don't have much faith in the quailty of the writing. Remember this the alternate ending for the trilogy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1XhcSyVr-A

So bad...

BadAss2961

QgQTNIZ.gif

It doesn't really need a new trilogy. The series felt as conclusive as it could possibly get, and if it's a prequel I hate wasting time on those. But like Star Wars, I wouldn't mind to see them try follow things up, if only because the series kind of went out with a whimper and could deserve something fresh and new.
It should definitely be a prequel so they don't have to worry about all the bullshit that happened in the end.

Just keep it simple. Self-contained stories in the Matrix universe... Good action... Cool effects... No save the world drama.

Dalthien

Exactly. I already consider the first one to be the only "real" one. No reason not to at this point, I'll probably watch at least the first to check it out. Let's do this.

Nah - Reloaded is just as good as the first one. It's just missing the "Wow" factor that came with the first movie because the first film came out of nowhere and caught everyone off guard. The Freeway chase, Chateau fight, Keymaker, Seraph, Ghost twins, Persephone, Merovingian, Architect - Reloaded was fucking awesome. And Revolutions is definitely a drop-off from the first two, but it still works well when viewed within the complete trilogy. It just doesn't work so well as a stand-alone film.

Ravek

Banned
Yes please! Honestly, I liked Reloaded AND Revolutions, and a semi-origin story could be really good. I'm curious when it would take place, as we know the true birth of the Matrix already from the Animatrix.

You. I like you.

I'm sure this will end up being bullshit, but damn it do I want it to be true.

Please.

Please?!

It's been over a decade. In that timeframe, The Hulk has been rebooted TWICE. There have been two Supermans, Punishers and Spidermans.

Bring it. No R rating so sale tho.

Prequels usually always suck. Unless they plan to show the war between man and machines (which is an awful idea so they probably will). Sequel all the way.

Dead Man

If they retcon out the magical bullshit, I could be on board. If they retain that, not interested.

Edit: A prequel would remove most of the options for that so that could be good I think.

Stoze

Ehh I'd say there's a 50/50 chance this turns out to be complete shit. I mean we had the first Matrix and Animatrix, but then there was Reloaded and Revolutions.

I still have faith in the Wachoskis, mainly because of V for Vendetta which came afterwards.

Cardon

As a huge fan of The Matrix I would be down for this. Do a prequel that delves into aspects like the start of the war or general happenings with the Matrix and it ought to be good.

Jarlaxle

Loved the first movie. Liked the second movie. Thought the third one was terrible. Really enjoyed the Animatrix.

Yeah, I guess I'm down for more.

legacyzero

Banned
I don't want to predate the current trilogy. I really want to continue the existing one.

But man, The Second Renainssance in trilogy form would be SO GOOD.

Would love it if Keanu returned for this.

Yep! I can barely think of anything I want more than another proper Matrix movie. I already got my wish for Independence Day sequels!

I don't believe anything Latino Review says anymore. They've run some Star Wars rumors that are total BS. One was actually taken from an idea someone mentioned on a Star Wars podcast.

Cipherr

notlikethis.gif

seriously after how the first trilogy progressed, how could anyone want more Matrix?

Because the universe is interesting. Their writing past the first movie is awful though.

The best thing out of the Matrix was the Animatrix Second Renaissance, so if this plans to cover that period, expect a LOT of excited, but soon to be disappointed people.

Ravek

Banned
I don't want to predate the current trilogy. I really want to continue the existing one.

But man, The Second Renainssance in trilogy form would be SO GOOD.

Yep! I can barely think of anything I want more than another proper Matrix movie. I already got my wish for Independence Day sequels!

You know Will Smith is out right?

I'm going to be an asshole and suggest the following:

The first trilogy was episodes 3,4,5
New trilogy is episode 1, 2, and 6

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Nah - Reloaded is just as good as the first one. It's just missing the "Wow" factor that came with the first movie because the first film came out of nowhere and caught everyone off guard. The Freeway chase, Chateau fight, Keymaker, Seraph, Ghost twins, Persephone, Merovingian, Architect - Reloaded was fucking awesome. And Revolutions is definitely a drop-off from the first two, but it still works well when viewed within the complete trilogy. It just doesn't work so well as a stand-alone film.

I love Reloaded lol
. But I still don't think that it's on the same level as the first one, and the fact that the cliffhanger didn't pay off ends up being a big knock against it imo. And I absolutely hate the "filming two movies at the same time" thing (although I like LotR lol).

Don't you hate it when you can see a lot of good qualities in a movie or game but you still think that the overall package is not up to par?

Revolver

I'd be interested in this, but why does everything have to be a trilogy these days? The first Matrix is a classic. I wish instead of a trilogy they would have just cut the fat and made one great sequel. The Animatrix was awesome though.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Jet Li for The One.

:)

Prequels are so problematic - just make a straight sequel trilogy.

All this time, it was both the humans AND the machines unwittingly trapped inside another Matrix. The first of the new movies starts off with Eno, a young app fresh out of alpha being given a choice: to either insert a blue codec into it's programming, or to choose the red codec. The former will allow the app to stay blissfully unaware in it's simulated environment of services and processes, while the latter option will allow the App to escape the Matrix and join with the other apps - Sudo, Bash, and Colonel Kernel - and unravel the mysteries of the greater Matrix beyond.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Even though the sequels got progressively worse in many areas, the ideas presented in them only got more interesting and thought provoking. And the battle of Zion is pretty amazing. However, Revolutions definitely feels like it was rushed like crazy. Both of the sequels were filmed at the same time so that may have had a negative effect on it as a whole.

Hopefully they can learn from the mistakes they made before.

sant

This could be great. The Second Renaissance in the Animatrix was better than the 2nd and 3rd movies.

Ravek

Banned
If they are direct sequels, I can't see the storyline NOT touching The Matrix within a Matrix idea.

NotLiquid

It should definitely be a prequel so they don't have to worry about all the bullshit that happened in the end.

Just keep it simple. Self-contained stories in the Matrix universe... Good action... Cool effects... No save the world drama.

If the new Matrix trilogy turns out to be a prequel it's going to be needlessly weighed down by The Architect's incredibly specific recounting of the history of The Matrix, as well as the foregone conclusion that Kung Fu Jesus is the only one who ever did anything significantly different than his ancestors. It's hardly much of a set up for any meaningful action. It'd be much easier for them to just start anew since the ending for Revolutions made it clear that the world would still continue and that peace wasn't a guarantee.

I'm just generally not big on prequels since they're restrictive due to being foregone conclusions. I think Star Wars is one of the few major enterprises that had justifiable reasons to have an entire new prequel trilogy for itself but even that turned out to be crap.

DiscoJer

Am I the only one that didn't like the first Matrix? The central point seemed to be a massacre of a bunch of rent-a-cops in slow motion.

And while the idea of an artificial world is interesting (if not overly original), the premise of humans as batteries was pretty silly.

MormaPope

Banned
Eww, no, just....no. The first Matrix is excellent because of how alien and awesome it was back in 1999, lots of odd themes and a incredibly distinguished visual style. The sequels felt really disjointed when it came to pacing and characterization. The atmosphere and mystery aspects were also tainted in the sequels, Reloaded and Revolutions are serviceable action movies and not much else.

If anything else is done with The Matrix, it shouldn't be bloated action movies that try to capture something from the past. The Matrix done as as anthology TV series would be a lot more interesting, each season would be committed to some aspect of the matrix, you don't need to bring back cast members for nostalgia purposes, the pacing would probably be a lot better.

My only request if a anthology series was made is put that shit on HBO/Showtime. I want some graphic action and sex, drugs, all sorts of human vices.

Ravek

Banned
Am I the only one that didn't like the first Matrix? The central point seemed to be a massacre of a bunch of rent-a-cops in slow motion.

And while the idea of an artificial world is interesting (if not overly original), the premise of humans as batteries was pretty silly.

1.) No, others dislike it. I love it.

2.) IIRC, WB made them change the script a little. Humans weren't suppose to be batteries.

Cloud Jupiter or whatever the fuck its called looks like an unholy flop. WB is probably dangling some breadcrumbs to get some positive buzz about the siblings. Rebooting the Matrix wouldn't be the dumbest idea in the world, but it did feel like an open and shut story. Bringing Neo back in a Oracle type role would be cool, as he searches for the 'Two'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom