• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Matrix Trilogy Supposedly in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Cloud Jupiter or whatever the fuck its called looks like an unholy flop. WB is probably dangling some breadcrumbs to get some positive buzz about the siblings. Rebooting the Matrix wouldn't be the dumbest idea in the world, but it did feel like an open and shut story. Bringing Neo back in a Oracle type role would be cool, as he searches for the 'Two'.

But Neo is technically the 'Two'.

inm8num2

edward-norton-laptop-gif.gif

Unfortunately Neo never lived up to his supposed ability to bend the Matrix to his will. There was so much unused potential in that. He should have been less hands-on fighting and more god-like.

What?
He is god-like.
He can FLY, bring people back to life, stop bullets, use telekinesis, see through stuff etc....

TomServo

I've introduced more than a few people to the Matrix. I tell them to watch the first movie, and act as if the other two don't exist. They all come back after the first asking about the sequels anyway. I tell them that if they like the first movie, don't screw it up by watching the other two.

More cool Matrix scenes and less Zion bullshit please, that's where the 2nd and 3rd films lost me.

It's not just Zion, it's the vast majority of the stuff that happens outside of the Matrix that is hot garbage. Even the whole Dark Sky concept was a poorly thought out plot device. Smith getting out of the Matrix and Neo on WiFi were borderline shark jumping.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
What?
He is god-like.
He can FLY, bring people back to life, stop bullets, use telekinesis, see through stuff etc....

Yeah, I don't understand people who claim Neo was gimped in the sequels. The first thing he does in Reloaded is take on 3 upgraded agents without breaking a sweat. Then flies off just like he did at the end of The Matrix.

NJDEN

Weird, the Matrix was literally just on two nights ago and I thought to myself "I'm sure they are working on more of these movies right now".

Two days later I'm reading a thread about its happening.

Yeah, I don't understand people who claim Neo was gimped in the sequels. The first thing he does in Reloaded is take on 3 upgraded agents without breaking a sweat. Then flies off just like he did at the end of The Matrix.

Yep and he was still stopping bullets and shit.

jaxword

Weird, the Matrix was literally just on two nights ago and I thought to myself "I'm sure they are working on more of these movies right now".

Two days later I'm reading a thread about its happening.

Clearly this proves your thoughts and wishes influence the universe.

Minion101

Banned
Remember how directly after the Animatrix there was a Van Helsing and Riddick anime? Even Kill Bill v1 had the anime sequence in the movie.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So if that's true, then they're making a live action Second Renaissance?

I guess that's not the most terrible thing...SR was pretty good.

As much as I'd like to take the cultured high road here and say that potentially shitting on an established and generally well-liked franchise with a new body of work is unthinkable...

... I'm a total Matrix slut, and if they could somehow capture the feeling of the original I'd happily watch a dozen more Matrix movies.

Of course I'd also be thrilled if they expanded on some of the happenings from Second Renaissance instead.

daveo42

Banned
Eh... Why not? Can't get worse than Revolutions.

Umm...I'm quite sure you could. New characters and a different timeframe would be good, but a prequel and you'd know how it would end.

Then there's this abomination from a few years ago: The Matrix Resurrection. It is a fan-made script, but I could see the final movie being this completely and utterly ridiculous.

Do audiences still remember this franchise? There haven't been any spin offs or products in almost a decade that I can think of. None of the actors have any box office draw anymore except for maybe Hugo Weaving, and all the Wachowski's follow up movies have flopped.

Anth0ny

Do audiences still remember this franchise? There haven't been any spin offs or products in almost a decade that I can think of. None of the actors have any box office draw anymore except for maybe Hugo Weaving, and all the Wachowski's follow up movies have flopped.

I think so. The original film is iconic in many ways.

Cagey

Banned
It's a rich universe and, besides, a bad Matrix movie is going to be a lot more enjoyable than much of the random action garbage that gets released.

If it's legitimately good, that's almost a bonus.

Kickz

As long as its not a remake, also would love another badass freeway scene.

I felt in later movies the more time they spent out of the matrix the worse it was.

gabbo

It really would depend on the script.
If it's prequels, hopefully it would be more 'Second Renaissance' and less Architect.

If it's sequels, Neo is dead, so it's either there is a new 'One' or multiple who try to upset the peace and something's gotta give.

Seth C

They couldn't make one sequel, and they really couldn't make a second. I have no faith in hem to make three more. The first movie was amazing and it's pathetic they couldn't do better. Pretty much what anyone on plane earth imagined would have been better.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ah fuck it, just do it. The sequels already tarnished the original, so these couldn't hurt any more.

Anustart

I'm ok with this. Sure the second and third were kinda iffy, but I like the idea behind the universe so sign me up.

Deadstar

lol. I think I'm ready for a new trilogy. It could be amazing. I really want Keanu to be in it, but if it's a prequel you can't really have him do anything and if it's not, well his story was kind of done. I can't even imagine the story becoming even crazier than it was in 3. Say what you will about the movies as a whole but the freeway chase and staircase fight with medieval weapons was awesome.

Busty

Banned
This doesn't really surprise me given every studio is mining their IP library to see what properties and films they can polish and reboot. But as a fan of all three Matrix films I'm very happy at this potential development.

But the one thing in the article from Latino Review (who I rate above most other fanboy sites when it comes to rumours) that gives me pause is this...,

Latino Review said:
Speed Racer/Cloud Atlas tanked and let’s not kid ourselves, by the looks of it, Jupiter Ascending will not be much better.

I heard (well before Xmas admittedly) that Warners were super enthusiastic about the way Jupiter Ascending turned out....,
unlike other summer offerings from the studio like Godzilla and Blended. :(

The studio really wants to be in business with Channing Tatum and the Wachowskis so if this does turn out to be true I'd say that, at the moment, (providing Jupiter Ascending does as well as the studio hopes) this is probably part of a new deal for the Wachowskis at WB.

As things stand I imagine the siblings will still write and direct the Jupiter Ascending trilogy and just 'supervise' (co-write and produce?) these new Matrix films.

But these things are always a moving target. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

I had small issues with Reloaded(Well pretty much anything related to Zion) but Revolutions... WAS AWFUL. Goddamn awful. I walked out of the movie Theatre.

I know the Wachowski's are into kinky shit but the gimp stuff did not look cool. It looked out of place.

But I'm all for a come back to the franchise that launched their career. Give it a go.

The difference between the Wachowski's and George Lucas is that Lucas was financing the movies personally. He could make anything he wanted. I don't think the wachowski's have that privilege.

Latino Review says that WB wants to have a new Matrix movie ready for 2017:
Warner Bros. is desperate for a surefire franchise and will be making a push to have the new Matrix films ready to up against any new Star Wars and Avatar films by 2017.
I don't really trust anything Latino Review says and I expect this to be total BS, but who knows. I'd be pretty hyped if this is real though.

Prototype

I recently re-watched the trilogy and I found it a lot better the 2nd time around. I would like to see another set of movies in the Matrix universe.

The precedent is already set within the movie universe as well.
Neo wasn't the first "one" so I think it's safe to say he won't be the last. Peace between humans and machines is already tenuous so the need for another "one" wouldn't be that outlandish.

edit:
I always wished they went with what they wanted to do originally.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom