• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS3 high rez intro cutscene

Great intro. It seems to be more laid back like MGS than MGS2's more flashy intro.

A few things I noticed though is that Murata is writing the story along with Kojima and Fukushima this time. Atleast we know what the guys been doing since ZOE2 now. Also when Snake does his HALO jump he's referred to as "Jack" (Raiden's real name). I wonder if it's just an joke by Kojima since when he's got that helmet on he looks like Raiden did when he came out of the water, or if there's something more to it?

Socreges

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It seems to be more laid back like MGS than MGS2's more flashy intro.
A cigar flew through the air in slow-motion...

Yet, you're probably still right. Very well done otherwise.

Good work, Blimblim! My download was creeping along before I grabbed the torrent.

I am playing this game on the 6th August at a local anime event here in sweden, Konami will have the playable demo at that convention.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Incredible attention to detail in everything from models to animation. God damn KCEJ-West rocks.

And yes, the time to release this trial version, hopefully in a pre-order campaign, is NOW.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Also when Snake does his HALO jump he's referred to as "Jack" (Raiden's real name). I wonder if it's just an joke by Kojima since when he's got that helmet on he looks like Raiden did when he came out of the water, or if there's something more to it?

Well, the thing is, "Jack" is only referenced in the subtitles and isn't actually a part of the spoken dialog. They don't actually say any name at that point...

The actual intro is fantastic looking, though. It doesn't matter how much technology the other games surrounding it pump out, this game is easily one of the best looking.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Templar Wizard said:
an open flame in an oxygen rich pressurized cabin? nice attention to detail :p

It was depressurized by that point(and the cigar had just been lit by the looks of it). Besides, they demanded he put it out.

But yeah, so close to his Oxygen tank, that's some danger-lust right there. Perfect characterization, I'd say.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I think the whole point of putting an emphasis to a cigar was to show that 'Snake' doesn't really have safety as his first priority :p

Awesome intro! I just wish the PS2 had more ram, so there wouldn't be so many breaks, but they really don't get in the way. Anyway, any word on when the trial version heads our way?

dark10x

FortNinety said:
Awesome intro! I just wish the PS2 had more ram, so there wouldn't be so many breaks, but they really don't get in the way. Anyway, any word on when the trial version heads our way?

Heh, I like those breaks actually. They have been doing that since the original MGS and, for some reason, it just works.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pauses like that have been in the series since it's inception. Their engine simply does not stream graphics. I'd be very surprised if GC version of MGS was any different in that regard.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Everything's good, but why did Kojima or whoever is responsible for the sounds, use a stupid jet engine sound when snake is falling? Its so "cheap hollywood trick to impress typical joe", what next, his enemies will roar like a tiger? Small nitpick but, it simply doesnt make sense to have a jet engine sound for this. It was also in TTS in some scenes irrc, im not sure exactly when, but it was just as cheesy.

dark10x

Marconelly said:
Pauses like that have been in the series since it's inception. Their engine simply does not stream graphics. I'd be very surprised if GC version of MGS was any different in that regard.

It wasn't different. All versions of Metal Gear Solid on all platforms are like that. It is almost like a staple in the series. I can't imagine why anyone would expect something else.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Buggy Loop said:
Everything's good, but why did Kojima or whoever is responsible for the sounds, use a stupid jet engine sound when snake is falling? Its so "cheap hollywood trick to impress typical joe", what next, his enemies will roar like a tiger? Small nitpick but, it simply doesnt make sense to have a jet engine sound for this. It was also in TTS in some scenes irrc, im not sure exactly when, but it was just as cheesy.

It's called the "kinetic whoosh", and it's often used during Bullet-Time these days. I'm so used to the effect in action films, I didn't even notice it was in this intro.

Now I want to rent Terminal Velocity and Drop Zone just so I can compare. ;)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I promised myself I wouldn't watch any more media stuff after the E3 trailer, and that's what I'm exactly gonna do...

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Goreomedy said:
It's called the "kinetic whoosh", and it's often used during Bullet-Time these days. I'm so used to the effect in action films, I didn't even notice it was in this intro.

Now I want to rent Terminal Velocity and Drop Zone just so I can compare. ;)

Yea, i know its used a lot in films, overused i might add, still sounds cheesy :(
I notice it easily since it sounds exactly like falcon 4.0 when you set your camera on a fixed position and the F16 pass at high speed near it, exactly the same..

Laurent

Excellent movie! Althought, I would have like to see how...

The codec or radio dialogues will be presented on screen

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oni, it is unknown if David is doing voices. I hope he does, though. If they could get him for an MGS remake, I sure hope they can get him for a full fledged sequel.

Excellent movie! Althought, I would have like to see how...
You can see that in one of the movies that is hopefully still on IGN. You basically see Snake on the right part of the screen, in the same pose you see him at the end of this video. You also hear all the talking going on, and on the left part of the screen you get to see the info about the person you are talking to, in a form of a report that you can flip through.

dark10x

Laurent said:
Are the files originally in Windows Media crap?

Unless you aren't running Windows, I don't see a problem...

It isn't as if you need to install some shitty player to use them (like Real media or something).

Laurent said:
Are the files originally in Windows Media crap?

well the clips are ripped from the DVD, and they are compressed :(

but there will be a uncompressed version of the DVD aswell.
i am not sure when its coming up but i am soon going to get my hands on it and maybe you guys here can host it for me?

Laurent

robertsan21 said:
well the clips are ripped from the DVD, and they are compressed :(

but there will be a uncompressed version of the DVD aswell.
i am not sure when its coming up but i am soon going to get my hands on it and maybe you guys here can host it for me?
Bittorrent will be your answer I guess! Is the magazine available in America also, even thought it's UK's version?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The compression in the first video was fine. If these Gameplay vids are similar, rock on. Honestly, getting the footage out in 14 meg chunks like this is the smartest move.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Good Gameplay vids! But why did they run around like a bitch during the "CQC" section, instead of showing off more disarms? Bah!

And yes, the new alert music is great.

Robostance, please help me out. I am dying to see the gameplay vids. I am keep getting the permission denied error when I used your links.

dark10x

robertsan21 said:
i could see the frame rate dropping in the last video.

Heh, believe it or not, the type of slowdown seems like good news.

If you notice, the game actually started to run slowly. Based on experience with other games, this side effect only occurs with games running at 60 fps. MGS2 had the same issue along with many other games (ZOE2 is another KCEJ game with this issue present). Rather than dropping frames (ie - frame skip) it continues to draw ALL frames of animation. The result, of course, is that the game ends up running slowly. So, this suggests that the game actually might run at 60 fps. It also suggests that the game will not slow down too terribly often. Twin Snakes ran at a base framerate of 60 fps...but there was a LOT of slowdown. They simply skipped frames in TTS, though, in order to keep the gameplay running at the proper speed. If they were to slow it down, the game would run too slowly too often.

I certainly hope that is the case...

Top Bottom