• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter Frontier Benchmark - "High Quality" mode unveiled. (Wiiiiiiii?)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The graphics are clearly not PS3 caliber, but are definitely above the PS2 game, could this be a hint as to what MH3 might look like?

Here are some screens
mhf08.jpg

mhf22.jpg

Here's where you can find the others: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080623/mhf.htm

And you can download the benchmark here: http://cgi1.watch.impress.co.jp/cgi...impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080623/mhfbench.zip

Tailzo

I love those graphics! I hope it's like that on wii, I'd be mighty impressed then. But they did do wonders on psp, so it might be a good indicator of the wii version =)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
could this be a hint as to what MH3 might look like?

way too clean for the Wii.

some of the shots in the full batch look a lot better than these, it's not top end PS3 game level, but i don't think it'd look out of place.

so yeah, i'd be surprised if the Wii version looks like this.

(well, it certainly won't have that res for sure!)

Doesn't it say up in the top left that those are PC version screens?

Also, doesn't the link you provided say the same thing?

I mean this isn't MH3 its MHO. I'm confused by this topic.

The polygon count is PS2 level, since they are the MH/MH2 models. The effects (and that dragon) are DX10-quality and would make a Wii choke on its purple pikmins.

I'd say the MH Tri will have better geometry, worse effects and 480p.

Tailzo

I know nothing has been announced for ps3, but could they actually port this version for ps3, and make a monster hunter 3 for wii?

edit: Because I don't know what kind of deal they did with Nintendo.

After watching it in motion:

Won't look like that on Wii. Screenshots don't make it look like too much, but seeing it in motion, nope nope.

KRS7

So I downloaded the demo and actually managed to install it even though I don't know a bit of Japanese. The program name on my PC is a bunch of nice little squares. The actual benchmark is mostly in English.

1zbuov9.png

This is what I got. What does it mean?

Acosta

Definitely no.

Hell Capcom, get your act together and localize this to english, make a Steam only launch if you want, but release it!

Tenbatsu

After going thru the screenshots, I guess you are right sp0rsk, this should be how MH3 will look on the Wii except for the fact that it will not be so clean. Basically, its the same old characters models with better textures applied to them.

This shot clearly tells the whole story. Same old models with better textures.
mhf09.jpg

le.phat

it looks like they simply added several effects to the old engine if you ask me. partly redone textures, higher resolutions, added DOF, bloomlighting and normal maps here and there. That said i'm pretty sure the wii version will look nowhere as good as this demo.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
This reminds me of that official HL1 update that runs in Source. Sparkly water, same level geometry.

Looks somewhat pretty, but its not coming here anytime soon. Redo all the monster models capcom!

Kuran

Banned
This is what they can do on PSP:

web.jpg

It would be interesting to see them go full-steam on completely new assets and engine..

Those screenshots do not do this game justice! The demo looked AMAZING at 1920x1200 on my PC!

This could easily be a PS3 game. Please please make it happen! Even if it comes out only on PC I would play it as well. Wii... no thanks.

Zoc

These are screens of a PC game. Why is 'Wii" in the thread title? Why is the discussion about PS3 and PS2?

Durante

This could very well be what the Wii version looks like in terms of assets. The textures are quite low-res and the poly count isn't too high. The only shader-like effects look like they could be done with register combiners. But the postprocessing effects will be gone, and it will be rendered at 640*480 / no AA instead of 1280*960 8xAA (or so).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Zoc said:
These are screens of a PC game. Why is 'Wii" in the thread title? Why is the discussion about PS3 and PS2?

The next game in the series was announced for Wii, the game has only one blurry screenshot. I wanted more people to read and be excited about Monster Hunter.

Either way you won't ever be able to play this incarnation of the game.

I'm a huge MHP2G fan now but I doubt I would ever buy a MH game for the Wii. Even though I have one. Not because I hate my Wii, but because I know they are going to try and put waggle into the game. MH is not about the waggle! It's about perfect timing and deadly precison.

This game as a PSN downloadable online only game would make me very happy. If it ran at 60fps at 1080p that's more than good enough graphically for me.

Banned
PuppetMaster said:
I'm a huge MHP2G fan now but I doubt I would ever buy a MH game for the Wii. Even though I have one. Not because I hate my Wii, but because I know they are going to try and put waggle into the game. MH is not about the waggle! It's about perfect timing and deadly precison.

This game as a PSN downloadable online only game would make me very happy. If it ran at 60fps at 1080p that's more than good enough graphically for me.
I could have sworn the wii remote had buttons.

Kuran

Banned
After trying out the demo.. I have to say its very impressive. I guess that says a lot about these 'old art assets..

That makes the truth all the more sad and bitter though, Frontier will never leave Japan.

I believe that with good marketing and distribution, Capcom can take a sizeable chunk of our current MMO populace, at least enough to make it profitable. It is different and unique enough to stand out.

Or maybe I'm but a fool, because apparantly Monster Hunter related threads never make it past the second page these days..

Tenbatsu

Ppl who said they wont get MH3 for the Wii better make sure you keep your words. Saying you wont get the game even without any announcement on it proved that ya playing systems rather than games.

Lince

Banned
looks awesome, way better than the screen shots show, framework engine never ceases to amaze when running in a PC.

"What are the chances of this coming to the west? I've always wanted to try these games."

Beyond slim. An employee of Capcom USA said on the Capcom US blog that they really don't have any of the necessary shit for it.

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/751

There's still the Monster Hunter PSP and PS2 games, though.

However, there's a small glimmer of hope if Monster Hunter begins to take off here but not for some time.

Durante said:
This could very well be what the Wii version looks like in terms of assets. The textures are quite low-res and the poly count isn't too high. The only shader-like effects look like they could be done with register combiners. But the postprocessing effects will be gone, and it will be rendered at 640*480 / no AA instead of 1280*960 8xAA (or so).
+ I don't think Wii can do specular maps.

Jonnyram

Quick and simple 360 port could happen, but the Wii version will look closer to the PSP versions, and be ready for a quick (& inevitable) PSP port.

matmanx1

I've become a fan of MH lately. Picked up MHF2 from Gamestop on a whim a couple of weeks ago and it's really got it's hooks into me now. So many things to do and such a pretty game for the PSP. The tougher enemies still give me fits but the depth of the game is extremely impressive considering it's portable nature.

Are we ever going to get MHF2G over here or is that going to be Japan only?

Cruzader

Banned
I hope Capcom does make a MH for PS3 though since there is plenty of potential there! I'm pretty sure the Wii version is gonna be great.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Defuser said:
Capcom is looking to make money, not lose money.

Wouldn't this be more appropriate then, since they could rely on the Live servers? (I'm talking about stateside)

No need to worry about setting up an infrastructure, xbox subscriptions can handle the online fees etc. Best way to introduce the franchise, since its not directly competing with all the pc mmorpgs.

Zenith said:
you're really claiming those textures (look at the grass!) are better than what was on PS2, GC or xbox? and since when could Wii output that resolution?

You really care what the grass looks like in a game?

bdouble

t5ghft.jpg

I think there will be a middle ground between that and this. its going to be a very good looking Wii game. Lot cleaner than the PSP version already.

tehbear

Jonnyram said:
Why'd they release DMC4 for PC then?
Since PC was the lead platform?

spindoc said:
Wouldn't this be more appropriate then, since they could rely on the Live servers? (I'm talking about stateside)

No need to worry about setting up an infrastructure, xbox subscriptions can handle the online fees etc. Best way to introduce the franchise, since its not directly competing with all the pc mmorpgs.
Because maybe this isn't the MT framework? Or perhaps Capcom doesn't seem to think enough 360 users will buy it?

Xiaoki

Is there anything else to Season 3?

Adding Bloom, DoF and making the monsters look like shiny plastic isn't exactly enticing me.

Perhaps in Frontier Season 4 they will add a shark wyvern so you can jump it.

Top Bottom