• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter Frontier Benchmark - "High Quality" mode unveiled. (Wiiiiiiii?)

ravien56

How many people here are still playing MHF2 on xlink?I just got this game a month ago with the Xlink and im lookin for people to play with

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So do you reckon there's any chance of MH3 media at E3-Lite?

Or will it be one of Capcom's big things for TGS?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So I tried out the benchmark: 4834 @1680

Graphically its not that impressive, the assets and models are from the ps2 version. While the game doesn't look bad, its definitely not the direction I was hoping for, a.k.a Morrigan sprite with "nextgen" visual filters.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Visualante said:
+ I don't think Wii can do specular maps.
i don't know what you think specular maps are, but your voodoo2 can do specular maps.

if you mean normal mapping with pronounced specularity - then no, the wii won't do that, but it can do EMBM instead with just as pronounced specularity, so there you go.

mhf04.jpg

There, Capcom was able to sneak in a Wii screen.

i don't know what you think specular maps are, but your voodoo2 can do specular maps.

if you mean normal mapping with pronounced specularity - then no, the wii won't do that, but it can do EMBM instead with just as pronounced specularity, so there you go.

Big words... make... head... hurt.

Honestly, we can't say whether the Wii can do pronounced specularity. People thought the Wii couldn't do normal mapping in the first place. I'm no programmer so I don't know the work that goes into it. I will say I'd be more impress if they were able to implement parallax mapping on the Wii. At least it's be more useful than having specularity on normal maps.

Xabora

Teknopathetic said:
"What are the chances of this coming to the west? I've always wanted to try these games."

Beyond slim. An employee of Capcom USA said on the Capcom US blog that they really don't have any of the necessary shit for it.

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/751

There's still the Monster Hunter PSP and PS2 games, though.

However, there's a small glimmer of hope if Monster Hunter begins to take off here but not for some time.
This game has more of a chance taking off on the PC here than on the PSP/PS2 in the States.

Just my 2 Copper Pieces.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
mh56 said:
How many people here are still playing MHF2 on xlink?I just got this game a month ago with the Xlink and im lookin for people to play with

I'll be on there shortly, I have just started my adventure.

markatisu

I downloaded it, looked like a shiner and cleaner version of the PSP game

As long as the Wii one looks clean I will be fine, I have no problem with the PSP graphics and trust Capcom to not just crap out something (they have done really well with the Wii since launch)

And I don't worry about waggle either, from all the games they put out they seem to be one of the few that does not put waggle for the sake of waggle (see RE4, REUC, Zack and Wiki)

M3d10n

Heh, seems movement motion blur, dof, self-shadowing and some specular normal maps do wonders to PS2 assets. This looks very nice in motion (and it ran gracefully on my 8600gt).

But there's no way the self-shadowing and the motion blur would make it into a Wii version. Maybe the specular effects, since Capcom already got it working in RE4 (regenerators) and RE:UC (the scorpion, the snake).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm more interested to see what happens with the controls on the Wii version.

and of course the online.

if all the enemies aren't syncéd i'm off to Osaka to kick all the dev staff in the nuts, nut by nut.

Teknoman

M3d10n said:
Heh, seems movement motion blur, dof, self-shadowing and some specular normal maps do wonders to PS2 assets. This looks very nice in motion (and it ran gracefully on my 8600gt).

But there's no way the self-shadowing and the motion blur would make it into a Wii version. Maybe the specular effects, since Capcom already got it working in RE4 (regenerators) and RE:UC (the scorpion, the snake).

Yeah RE:UC looked pretty nice on the Wii. Would've been even better running at a smooth 60ish fps, but nice nevertheless. Of course Capcom hasnt made a bad looking game for the Wii yet.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Cow Mengde said:
People thought the Wii couldn't do normal mapping in the first place.
And people were right - because it doesn't.
It can do er... 'reasonable' approximation through EMBM, but that was known since 1999 when Matrox first unveilled it in their own graphic cards.
If you want to do it without all the arbitrary restrictions, you are stuck doing it the same way as it was done on good old PS2 - multipass SW emulation.

Not that it particularly matters because it seems most ppl only look for specular/slimy bumps as evidence of "normal/bump maps" and that is pretty much the main function of EMBM.

M3d10n

Ah, for those curious about it, a quick look at the installed files reveals that this version of MHF is indeed using the Framework engine.

Just to confirm it, I opened the MHF executable on a hex editor alongside with DMC4 demo's and did a search for "framework" on both: http://i28.tinypic.com/2zhfbj8.png

Xabora

M3d10n said:
Ah, for those curious about it, a quick look at the installed files reveals that this version of MHF is indeed using the Framework engine.

Just to confirm it, I opened the MHF executable on a hex editor alongside with DMC4 demo's and did a search for "framework" on both: http://i28.tinypic.com/2zhfbj8.png
Its kinda obvious with the gray load bar that comes up sometimes during an intense load. :p

Terrell

Fafalada said:
And people were right - because it doesn't.
It can do er... 'reasonable' approximation through EMBM, but that was known since 1999 when Matrox first unveilled it in their own graphic cards.
If you want to do it without all the arbitrary restrictions, you are stuck doing it the same way as it was done on good old PS2 - multipass SW emulation.

Not that it particularly matters because it seems most ppl only look for specular/slimy bumps as evidence of "normal/bump maps" and that is pretty much the main function of EMBM.
Is it wrong that I want to take the word of Shingo Mukaitoge instead?

kassatsu

Banned
mh56 said:
What HR are you, i might hop on to play with some gaffers again.

If Factor 5 was making it, sure. Capcom has done some good stuff on GameCube hardware, but I imagine the engine is from the other MH games.

Kokaku

Banned
Frontier is only available in Japan and Korea iirc.

If Capcom got the people in to localize Frontier, I'm sure a mint could be made >.<

Kuran

Banned
Fuck bumping these old threads, damnit! Ban pls.

For a moment I thought there was a new benchmark with better assets released.

Thanks for the heads up tho, but actual info and links would be great!

Kokaku said:
Not to sure of the details to be honest, I kinda got sidetracked by a thread in OT, but im reading up more.

You do and thats illegal, some play on the Japanese servers which cost and you cant speak a single word of english outside of your "guild" chat and party chat but most dont even risk that ive read because you then get the ban hammer.

I gave it a try and it looks really really good but I couldnt find my usb-ps2 controller and pc controls are horrendous so switched it off.

Not to mention I cant understand a lick of japanese :lol

Kokaku

Banned
Johnlenham said:
You do and thats illegal, some play on the Japanese servers which cost and you cant speak a single word of english outside of your "guild" chat and party chat but most dont even risk that ive read because you then get the ban hammer.

I gave it a try and it looks really really good but I couldnt find my usb-ps2 controller and pc controls are horrendous so switched it off.

Not to mention I cant understand a lick of japanese :lol
Well I kinda have Korean family so I'll ask around and see if one of them can help :lol

I've heard about the bannings on the Japanese servers + you need a VPN and some other crud :lol

Yeah its rather long winded (cant remember where I found the guide for it tbh try google though) and the Japanese version has a free period from HR1-3 I think it was so thats how I was able to try it.

Momo

Banned
I just saw the beginners pack on sale @ play-asia, is this out yet? :eek:

EDIT: Search fail, looking for the 360 MHF thread.

Top Bottom