• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NBA Live 2005 mode revealed...SLAM DUNK COMPETITION! New screens too

DMczaf

http://sports.ign.com/articles/530/530287p1.html

NBA Live 2005 is set to introduce the most revolutionary Slam Dunk contest ever seen in a video game. But to imagine what it plays like, think more T-Hawk than T-Mac as the trick system is the free-flowing type you're more likely to find in a skateboarding game than anything you've ever seen (or played) on the hardwood.

Once the participating players have been selected, that's when the fun begins. You'll see other NBA players sitting on the sideline with camcorders cheering their favorite competitors and teammates. The judges, who will be legends from the game, sit at the table and keep score. And the 3D crowd really gets into the action as the music kicks off and the players show off their hops.

Like I said, think more Tony Hawk than any basketball game out there, and just because it's a dunk contest, don't think that players are going to jump over the backboard or catch on fire like NBA Jam. At the same time, the crew at EA Sports realizes this is a game, and because of that, will allow gamers with quick enough reflexes to pull off some of the most amazing dunks you probably haven't even dreamt of yet…like the bounce between the legs, cartwheel, grab the ball as it comes down off the backboard, swing it between both legs like a figure eight, tomahawk throwdown. That's right, that's a move you can actually pull off. Just don't think you're going to be able to do it right away. Like all good things, this mode takes practice, but it's a mode so fun, it can literally eat up hours as you look for the best angle to approach each dunk.

In addition, you'll also be able to play three-point shootouts, the Rookie/Sophomore Challenge, and of course, the East/West All-Star game. In the three-point shootout, different players will actually shoot with their authentic motions so you'll be able to tell the difference from Antoine Walker's ugly shot to Reggie Miller's, well, ugly shot. In all, there are 35 different shooting styles.

nba-live-2005-20040714052725910.jpg
nba-live-2005-20040714052726504.jpg
nba-live-2005-20040714052725301.jpg
nba-live-2005-20040714052724113.jpg

with the graphics and improved gameplay over last year, I can't wait to buy this game... I loved 2004...

I've yet to see the 3D crowd implemented yet though... am I missing something? it's the same crowd as last year...

and what's with all the Lebron love? show us some champions--tayshaun prince teaching kobe a thing or seven about defense, sheed all up in Medvedenko's face...

DMczaf

!!

And to comment on all of the jams is the announce team of Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson. The two really cut up during the contest, making fun of competitors for wack moves and really going crazy when they see something out of the norm like an alley-oop off of the Jumbotron. None of the commentary was even scripted as the two announcers took a trip to Live's development studio up in Vancouver, watched tape of dunks being pulled off in the game, and commented like they were watching an actual dunk competition. Kenny Smith is the one who really goes off, even saying things like: "You've got to bring more than that. You're an animated character. I've seen real guys do better!"

Damn! If they had Barkley too it would have been God's gift to man in the form of a video game

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Shinobi

Visuals look like shit, but the dunk mode sounds like a blast. Too bad it isn't online. Anyway, good to see some VC/Raptors love!

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Shinobi said:
Visuals look like shit, but the dunk mode sounds like a blast. Too bad it isn't online. Anyway, good to see some VC/Raptors love!
Give it some time...someones going to post that mock cover of VC on the floor in a minute ;)

pilonv1

If dunk mode is fun for more than 15 minutes I'll be amazed. Three point shootouts are always more fun, and I'd actually like to play them online.

They need to add the skills challenge, but everything else sounds good. I'm glad that EA is adding these things into the game, finally. I've wanted them for years. With a year of dev time they should have had plenty of time to add things like this.

I would have bought NBA Courtside at Circuit City just to mess around with the three point contest, but unfortunately they had none in stock.

Top Bottom