• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Rich!

Just for anyone on the fence, these photos I took may help you decide whether you should get a regular N3DS:

bhsshk.JPG

It's stunning.

KU_

Finally got my hands on the MM Limited Edition when Gamestop restocked. Literally waited up there from the time they opened until the shipment came in at noon. Couldn't be happier, seeing as I'm upgrading from the OG launch Cosmo Black unit. Going to go back and play some titles I skipped over now.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just got one today.

Where is the best place to buy a charging cradle? All I see are ones on eBay for ~$20 shipping from Japan. Can anyone recommend a seller that they used if they went that route? Thanks

Cheska

Just got one today.

Where is the best place to buy a charging cradle? All I see are ones on eBay for ~$20 shipping from Japan. Can anyone recommend a seller that they used if they went that route? Thanks
That's probably the most reasonable route, especially if you have prime. eBay has a few for around $15 with free shipping but shipping times vary from 7-28 days O_O

Haint

I was going to hold off for the smaller unit, but I'm a weak man. My Vita has a new friend:

Fantastic build quality compared to the old XL. Going to start up 999.

You're high on new plastic smell. OG XL build quality is much higher than the N3DS, this was a cost cutting redesign.

You're high on new plastic smell. OG XL build quality is much higher than the N3DS, this was a cost cutting redesign.

I'm really disappointed in the high gloss finish. It makes the thing really slippery for long sessions.

I ordered a skinomi matte cover just to offset this.

Converse

Banned
Comparison between the screens of the two models, apologies for my crappy phone camera:
l

No apologies necessary -- thanks for posting, man. I really appreciate these pics. I plan to pick up a New XL in April (my only option in the States), and I've been apprehensive about it, due to screen quality. Reading up on the apparent screen improvements and seeing pictures like this is actually really nice, from where I'm standing.

Anyone find ANY "shell" cases in-store (whether it be TPU or hard crystal) for the New3DS XL yet? Everything seems to be online only.

I figured if I imported a case a few weeks ago that by the time it arrived at my doorstep, they would be available locally in-store. I was wrong, I guess. Best Buy has a release date for the TPU as being today (3/29), but that's online only, too. And the BB rep I talked to over the phone says they aren't getting any in-store either. And no cases are listed on Gamestop--well, except a hard case & starter kit that *supposedly* releases in a couple of days, but that may be locked to online-only for awhile, too.

As much as I enjoy shopping online--well, some things I like to see and/or test beforehand before purchase. That, and I can't do Prime on my Amazon account anymore, or at least atm.

Quite frustrating.

Blues1990

Will the New 3DS XL get new colours? Red & black do nothing for me, and it seems that the blue model is only available in Europe and Japan.

batrush

First time I'm hearing this. I have my old XL right beside me and it's remarkably less solid in almost every area. I couldn't care less about the improved 3D and c-stick; it's the new build that has me so satisfied.

Picked up a MM edition for relatively cheap. Sold my old XL a while ago in preparation of this.

So errr... What games are actually coming to the NEW besides Xenoblade?

co1onel

I really like the way the plastic on the inside feels. It's matte so it don't get all smudgy, yet it still feels smooth to the touch, unlike the original XL. The outside is a different story.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement stylus for the regular n3DS? My niece has lost hers already and Nintendo UK doesn't seem to sell replacement accessories any more (seriously, what a bloody joke). They could've put two in the box like they did with the DSL.

Spades

Is there anywhere you can buy a replacement stylus for the N3DS regular?

Edit: Wow, after I posted I noticed the post above me!

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement stylus for the regular n3DS? My niece has lost hers already and Nintendo UK doesn't seem to sell replacement accessories any more (seriously, what a bloody joke). They could've put two in the box like they did with the DSL.

Is there anywhere you can buy a replacement stylus for the N3DS regular?

Edit: Wow, after I posted I noticed the post above me!

From the Nintendo website

harpingon

Neo Member
Still looking for a New 3DS case in the UK

Amazon seems to only have New 3DS XL cases.

I have the OG pouch case, but New 3DS is a bit bigger and the buttons get caught.

Case in a similar style would be good. Official is better.

Where are the New 3DS accessories? Also hampered by the fact that a New 3DS case is a new case for a 3DS, or a new case for a New 3DS. Gah. Search is hard.

Even the official Nintendo UK store only has cases for 2DS and New 3DS XL :/

Owari

You're the one who's high. The N3DS bottom screen bezel doesn't scratch the top screen, that alone makes it a higher quality build.

Just applied the Hori screen protector to my new XL. Wow, best one if have ever used. This is almost fail proof and a far cry from the fiddling around of the past.

edit: As an owner of the old XL... That thing felt very cheap. New one is definitely more solid.

Lucifon

Still looking for a New 3DS case in the UK

Amazon seems to only have New 3DS XL cases.

I have the OG pouch case, but New 3DS is a bit bigger and the buttons get caught.

Case in a similar style would be good. Official is better.

Where are the New 3DS accessories? Also hampered by the fact that a New 3DS case is a new case for a 3DS, or a new case for a New 3DS. Gah. Search is hard.

Even the official Nintendo UK store only has cases for 2DS and New 3DS XL :/

I got a custom case off Etsy with my initials on the front. I actually requested my initials be placed on the inside of the front cover, but she did them on the outside. I was disappointed when I first opened up but I actually think it might look better this way. The interior is a cream suede, fits the N3DSXL perfectly and has 8 cart slots. Pretty happy now with how it turned out. Expensive after customs fees and royal mail's bullshit handling fee, but it was worth it to have something unique. Especially as I plan to keep this N3DS for good.

I got a custom case off Etsy with my initials on the front. I actually requested my initials be placed on the inside of the front cover, but she did them on the outside. I was disappointed when I first opened up but I actually think it might look better this way. The interior is a cream suede, fits the N3DSXL perfectly and has 8 cart slots. Pretty happy now with how it turned out. Expensive after customs fees and royal mail's bullshit handling fee, but it was worth it to have something unique. Especially as I plan to keep this N3DS for good.

Classy! How much did you pay?

harpingon

Neo Member
Yes, I like that. But it needs to be here by May (for a present). Also, as nice as this is, still looking for other more retail-y solutions. Which etsy vendor?

harpingon

Neo Member
fits the N3DSXL perfectly and has 8 cart slots.

But again, with the N3DS XL. I want one for the N3DS, and no etsy seems to do that either, which isn't a surprise as they don't have that SKU in the USA.

Frustrating this is.

Found one on play asia.

Exactly one, mind. Amongst all the LL cases. Ordered it :/

Lucifon

Classy! How much did you pay?

$53.99 I believe in total with the customisation. Pretty pricey but it is a completely unique case for a device I plan to keep for the rest of my life!

But again, with the N3DS XL. I want one for the N3DS, and no etsy seems to do that either, which isn't a surprise as they don't have that SKU in the USA.

Frustrating this is.

Found one on play asia.

Exactly one, mind. Amongst all the LL cases. Ordered it :/

I went with 'Derilyn' and she does non-XL N3DS cases https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Derily...r=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search. When you select a case (assuming it's one of her newer listings) you can choose what model 3DS you have.

The trouble with the og 3ds is that it digs into my hands after about a minute and you need a microscope to see the screen.
Agree with you, that is why the regular new 3DS is pretty awesome. Been playing for hours and no eyestrain. 3.88 inch screen is just right.
XL is nice, but a bit too big to bring it with me everyday. For design rankings, I would go N3DS > N3DS XL > OG 3DS > OG 3DS XL.

Zing

Banned
Okay, that is great to hear. I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles, but finding a copy for the Wii is almost impossible, so the 3DS port is my next best option.
A few days ago I posted on Kijiji asking for this game. I had three people call me within a day. There are also many copies in eBay.

I ended up trading Amiibo for it to a local GAF user.

Lucifon

Oh yes, so I see. And Vita too. Hmm

Sigh, but the duty/vat/charges and time ...

I had overlooked these because the store front just says XL on everything.

I'm so tempted now

Indeed, my order took about a month. It didn't help having to mess about sorting customs, especially when my local Royal Fail never sent the customs slip to my office so I had to personally hunt down why the package was saying 'delivered' when it wasn't here (I hadn't considered customs charges initially, so I was confused as to where my package was).

But on the other hand, the final thing feels really nice when you have the N3DS in it. It's protective and looks/feels really premium. Obviously the added factor of knowing I'm probably the only person in the world with that exact case is also nice. It's a pricey option, but it is nice.

Indeed, my order took about a month. It didn't help having to mess about sorting customs, especially when my local Royal Fail never sent the customs slip to my office so I had to personally hunt down why the package was saying 'delivered' when it wasn't here (I hadn't considered customs charges initially, so I was confused as to where my package was).
Yeah, I learned by importing Japan Economy is pretty crap because most things are at least a month or more. FedEx does a pretty good job, so if you can import a product using UPS or FedEx, then I suggest doing that. Sometimes shops will put things as used to make customs go faster.

FloatOn

Just bought a new 3ds XL yesterday with monster hunter 4.

I've been gaming on PC for the past 5 years or so. This feels so oddly refreshing.

Chopper

That is gorgeous.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question about upgrading the memory card:

If I go out and buy a new memory card today, how do I transfer what's on it now to the new one? Just copy it to the desktop on PC and move it on the new card? I should format the new card first, right?

tuffy

Question about upgrading the memory card:

If I go out and buy a new memory card today, how do I transfer what's on it now to the new one? Just copy it to the desktop on PC and move it on the new card? I should format the new card first, right?
If the new card is 64GB, make sure it's FAT-32 formatted beforehand.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of copying files from one to the other via your PC. Just drag-and-drop from card to PC to card.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
If the new card is 64GB, make sure it's FAT-32 formatted beforehand.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of copying files from one to the other via your PC. Just drag-and-drop from card to PC to card.

Thanks! I guess I should also pick up a micro screwdriver since I can't find mine at my house. Grrrr

AsianOni

Finally my Hori goods are here (TPU case + films screen).
Nothing much to say, the installation is a piece of cake but I managed to have a speck of dust on the bottom screen. I have not seen any differences w/ or w/o the films.

jorgejjvr

Finally my Hori goods are here (TPU case + films screen).
Nothing much to say, the installation is a piece of cake but I managed to have a speck of dust on the bottom screen. I have not seen any differences w/ or w/o the films.

I love it, it also looks great on my MM LE, idk why but I love it even more with the protector....it really looks good

Would you mind linking me to the page, then? I just spent ages on the phone with Nintendo UK, they don't have any replacement ones. They can only replace broken ones but can't - absurdly - sell me a replacement.
No idea about UK but for NA is under Store>Parts & Accessories>Nintendo 3DS>New Nintendo 3DS XL>Replacement Parts

Thanks, but that's for the XL.
Where are you located if you dont mind? It says New Nintendo 3DS XL for me. Its the NA store for myself.

garath

I'm really close to getting a new 3ds XL along with Xenoblade chronicles. It'll be my first nintendo handheld since OG gameboy lol.

I am befuddled at Nintendo's decision to not include the charging cable though. Glad I stay generally informed. I would have been lit had I gotten it from Amazon only to find I couldn't use it.

Wish they were doing a Xenoblade bundle though.

I assume because this is still so new, there's not much in the way of deals to be had out there?

cafemomo

nFRAuGT.jpg

Got my n3DS today. Few personal notes
> It may be a plus for a majority of people, but I really don't like it big. When the regular model drops in NA, I'm trading this ASAP
> 3D is finally good but I got bored of it after 10 mins
> feels 1000x times faster than the 3DS
> thank god for miniSD cards & replaceable batteries

Correct.

You will need to remember your NNID, associated email address to it, and have your new SKU on the device ready.

Do NOT create a new NNID or attempt to replicate your old one on the new device

Just called up Nintendo. She said it would take 5 to 7 business days to transfer over all my stuff.

Few things I like about Nintendo, it's their CS. Very helpful and courteous. Same can't be said about Sony or MS CS

No idea about UK but for NA is under Store>Parts & Accessories>Nintendo 3DS>New Nintendo 3DS XL>Replacement Parts

Where are you located if you dont mind? It says New Nintendo 3DS XL for me. Its the NA store for myself.
Thanks, but that's for the nXL model, not the regular n3DS (which NoA hasn't released anyway). I honestly cannot believe I spent so long discussing this on the phone with Nintendo UK today. The guy on the phone told me that if I send them a damaged one in, they can give me a replacement, but they CAN'T sell me a replacement for a LOST one. I wouldn't be too fussed if I could buy it online somewhere, but it looks like spares haven't been released for the n3DS.

Top Bottom