• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Qwyjibo

I bought my n3DS XL at launch and it has been fantastic but a couple days ago I noticed something underneath the plastic of the top-right of the bottom screen. It almost looks like a crack. I can only see it when looking at an angle that allows me to see underneath and it doesn't affect gaming in any way.

Is this something that I should be concerned about getting worse down the road?

fIAEINl.jpg

Q2jhvT0.jpg

CRA5H

Apparently, EB has had them in-store for awhile now, at least in Canada. Still waiting on GameStop to get them in the US. They're not even listed for pre-order on their site, so who knows when they'll get them in store.
Nah they only had the tpu cases here for a couple weeks now. The hard pouches are only coming in now. It's so odd how supply is so different in NA.

Kalren

Just bought the New 3DS XL today...

So my youngest has the old regular 3DS but with my Nintendo account information on it. We've never bought anything digital for it except for the free copy of 4 Swords. And since I bought myself the NEW 3DS XL, what would be my options in term of linking it to my Nintendo account?

Can I just add my account to this new 3DS. Should I remove the account from the old 3DS. What do I gain, what do I lose? I'm not concerned about Zelda 4 swords, as I can just buy it If I feel the need.

And since Club Nintendo is being shutdown, should I remove it from the OLD 3DS and put on the new as well(or is it the same account)? I'm guilty of not paying attention, I know...

Edit: I guess I should add some clarifications after reading the system transfer guide(s) again. I don't want to transfer data from the old 3DS SD card to the new one...I just want to be able to log into my account on the New 3DS. Do I need to transfer?

Link83

Edit: I guess I should add some clarifications after reading the system transfer guide(s) again. I don't want to transfer data from the old 3DS SD card to the new one...I just want to be able to log into my account on the New 3DS. Do I need to transfer?
You can't login to more than one console/handheld with the same account.

Accounts are linked to hardware, so you still need to perform a system transfer if you want to use your old account.

Also zelda 4 swords is no longer available to buy from the eShop, so you won't be able buy it later if you change your mind.

Hope that helps!

I bought my n3DS XL at launch and it has been fantastic but a couple days ago I noticed something underneath the plastic of the top-right of the bottom screen. It almost looks like a crack. I can only see it when looking at an angle that allows me to see underneath and it doesn't affect gaming in any way.

Is this something that I should be concerned about getting worse down the road?

Frankly mine has the same thing. I also know a few other gaffers that have posted similar pics as well. I have no idea if its a issues down the road. I did noting about it :/

ComSR

Neo Member
I need those backplates!! but the page just doesn't take my CC, anyone willing to help me? I can pay in paypal
I finally decided to register after lurking for too long.
I'm outside America, and Nintendo Europe doesn't sell replacement parts.
I have a blue New3DS XL and I think would look great with a NewRed bottom plate. Sort of a old school Mario color scheme.

Anyone want to buy a bunch of them from NoA and sell them? Can this done in the community Buy/Sell thread?

wilflare

I finally decided to register after lurking for too long.
I'm outside America, and Nintendo Europe doesn't sell replacement parts.
I have a blue New3DS XL and I think would look great with a NewRed bottom plate. Sort of a old school Mario color scheme.

Anyone want to buy a bunch of them from NoA and sell them? Can this done in the community Buy/Sell thread?

I would love to help actually but I would need to ship them to Singapore before shipping them to you... so lol

Kalren

You can't login to more than one console/handheld with the same account.

Accounts are linked to hardware, so you still need to perform a system transfer if you want to use your old account.

Also zelda 4 swords is no longer available to buy from the eShop, so you won't be able buy it later if you change your mind.

Hope that helps!

That's exactly what I needed to confirm. Thank you.

ComSR

Neo Member
I would love to help actually but I would need to ship them to Singapore before shipping them to you... so lol
Yeah.. the shipping fees would probably stack up.
I've tried looking for one from eBay, but all I can find are Old 3DS kits.

Never owned a 3DS before, I skipped over from DS Lite.

I'm wondering if I just fucked up. I'm trying to transfer from a first gen/original 3DS to a New 3DS.

I wasn't paying sufficient attention, and I selected the "low capacity" transfer option. It's now performing a transfer from the original 3DS to the new 3DS. But now I think I chose the wrong option.

Is there a way for me to salvage this and get things moved over properly? All of my data is on a normal SD card inside the original 3DS. I don't have a microSD card (aside from the one inside the New 3DS) and I also don't have an adapter.

What should I do?

Could I back up the contents of my old SD card onto my computer, then buy a microSD card and adapter, then load the content from the old SD card onto the new microSD card, and then go from there?

As long the content matches the console, it should work.

Alternatively, could I just re-download shit piecemeal onto the New 3DS from the eShop? (I don't really *want* every single piece of everything from the original 3DS anyway.) Will I still have all my saved data and shit like that?

Rich!

hmm.

Anyone else from the UK ordered a N3DS from amazon.fr? I ordered my regular N3DS on Friday 20th from amazon.fr.....and oddly, it's being shipped from Germany!

The latest update is: Nurnberg, Germany 23/03/2015 14:06 Departure Scan

It originally had an estimated delivery date of 25/03/2015, but now it's saying "Scheduled Delivery: Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later."

so...is this normal? bit strange.

Link83

The Wii U Extended Capacity Battery I bought from Amazon.fr was dispatched from Germany, so it seems to be fairly common.

Perhaps it has something to do with Nintendo's European distribution centre being based in Germany, so maybe Amazon.de is first to get allocated new stock?

Alternatively, could I just re-download shit piecemeal onto the New 3DS from the eShop? (I don't really *want* every single piece of everything from the original 3DS anyway.) Will I still have all my saved data and shit like that?
Yes, don't worry, you can re-download everything and your save data will be recovered automatically. I did the same thing without any problem. Your game licenses and sava data are still intact.

Yes, don't worry, you can re-download everything and your save data will be recovered automatically. I did the same thing without any problem. Your game licenses and sava data are still intact.

Thanks man. That's a big relief.

Now, I just realized that the microSD card in the New 3DS is smaller than what I was using in my original 3DS. So I won't have nearly enough room to download most of my stuff.

Can I get a new, larger microSD card and then redownload everything to that larger card? If so, is there anything I need to know (e.g., maximum size, formatting, etc.)?

Rich!

The Wii U Extended Capacity Battery I bought from Amazon.fr was dispatched from Germany, so it seems to be fairly common.

Perhaps it has something to do with Nintendo's European distribution centre being based in Germany, so maybe Amazon.de is first to get allocated new stock?

Yeah, that's probably it. It seems to be on a case by case basis though, as my Wii U Gamecube adapter from amazon.fr was shipped directly from France and arrived here in the UK in two days.

Link83

I dont think thats right....Nintendo doesn't support cloud saving, do they?

Are there any reviews of the SNES skin for the n3DS? I think there were some pictures posted in this thread. I'm keen to know if it's easy to apply/remove.

I dont think thats right....Nintendo doesn't support cloud saving, do they?
Why would it need to use cloud saving if you did a Wireless transfer (Limited data)?

Nope.

Not sure where he got that idea from. You keep your save data if you do a manual transfer from SD to SD. That's where its saved, and nowhere else.
The manual perhaps? Page "30 Nintendo 3DS Transfers" scrolling down to "2 Wireless transfer (Limited data)". It says quite clearly. "Save data will be restored once you start the software after redownloading it".

If that doesn't happen then option 3 copy via PC was selected...

Can confirm that my saved data is restored after doing the "Limited Capacity" transfer and then re-downloading software from the eShop. When I re-download a title (which has never been on the New 3DS before) it displays a brief screen saying that it is restoring save/backup data. Then, when the game launches, the old data from the old system is there.

Shiina

Has anybody had problems with the new microsd transfer thing? When I try to open it on my PC I get an "Windows cannot access \\N3DS" error. I turned my firewall off but it doesn't help. Google has nothing on it either.

Link83

Why would it need to use cloud saving if you did a Wireless transfer (Limited data)?
My mistake (I could have sworn I read that a 'limited' transfer only moves your game licenses/account details and not any actual game/save data, so thought that cloud saving would be the only way save data could be 'recovered automatically') Sorry for causing any confusion.
Can confirm that my saved data is restored after doing the "Limited Capacity" transfer and then re-downloading software from the eShop. When I re-download a title (which has never been on the New 3DS before) it displays a brief screen saying that it is restoring save/backup data. Then, when the game launches, the old data from the old system is there.
Happy to hear all your save data is intact :)

So, it seems like DSi games still need to be installed to the system memory, but that all other content can be played from SD. Is there a reason that Nintendo won't enable DSi play from SD cards?

Qwyjibo

Frankly mine has the same thing. I also know a few other gaffers that have posted similar pics as well. I have no idea if its a issues down the road. I did noting about it :/
Yeah I'm just going to leave it as well. It's barely noticeable and doesn't affect my gaming in any way.

jaosobno

hmm.

Anyone else from the UK ordered a N3DS from amazon.fr? I ordered my regular N3DS on Friday 20th from amazon.fr.....and oddly, it's being shipped from Germany!

The latest update is: Nurnberg, Germany 23/03/2015 14:06 Departure Scan

It originally had an estimated delivery date of 25/03/2015, but now it's saying "Scheduled Delivery: Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later."

so...is this normal? bit strange.

I'm not from UK, but I know that Amazon always ships from the center closest to the customers country, or the one that has the item. So, if Amazon UK doesn't have the item, they will ship it from EU country that has one. If multiple Amazons have the item, they will ship from the one that is closest to you.

chiliboy

my EU N3DS XL is so good. Love being able to play pokemon and zelda again, makes me remember N64 days playing with school friends :)

Also a big shoutout to Scribblenauts Unlimited, really fun game - people should try it!

Rich!

I'm not from UK, but I know that Amazon always ships from the center closest to the customers country, or the one that has the item. So, if Amazon UK doesn't have the item, they will ship it from EU country that has one. If multiple Amazons have the item, they will ship from the one that is closest to you.

Well, it was ordered from Amazon France.

Regardless, it reached the UK half an hour ago! I will have it tomorrow! Yessss.

If you have the OG XL, not at the current price. If you are a total new user, go for it.

Don't forget to buy an AC adapter...

Anyway I am pretty upset that Nintendo thought it wasn't necessary to include one with these systems. Do they make official charge cradles that I can buy, and are they absurdly priced?

Rich!

Got this grip through yesterday. Cost me £4 on eBay. Its fantastic:

The stand is fucking useless, but let's ignore that. The XL snaps nicely into place into the grip, and the whole thing is immediately nicer to hold and use. The extra weight is negilible, and every button is much easier to access and use - especially the D-Pad and Z buttons. Also, no more glossy underside!

Gonna be great for Xenoblade next week!

jaosobno

Got this grip through yesterday. Cost me £4 on eBay. Its fantastic:

The stand is fucking useless, but let's ignore that. The XL snaps nicely into place into the grip, and the whole thing is immediately nicer to hold and use. The extra weight is negilible, and every button is much easier to access and use - especially the D-Pad and Z buttons. Also, no more glossy underside!

Gonna be great for Xenoblade next week!

So it's not loose or anything? No risk of it snapping off? Can you provide a link? I'd like to order one too (already ordered Hori TPU case, but this seems much more usefull, at least for the lower part).

Top Bottom