• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Yah, reading about it is one thing, but then executing it as an adult and imagining this thing is made primarily for kids and you wonder what in the absolute fuck Nintendo was thinking with that design. So out of touch.

More out of touch than all the kids toys that need to be unscrewed in order to replace the batteries?

Plasmid

All the gamestops in my area are sold out. Why did they only order enough for pre-orders? What the actual fuck

The guy explained it to me like this.

New Nintendo items / accessories (GameCube adapter) in the first wave are only what is preordered (Gamestop specific, if one store only gets 5 pre orders that's all they order), after the first run Nintendo sends out a second wave (usually 3-4 weeks later)

I got to my Walmart at 8 am, and the guy told me that they only got 2 blacks, 2 reds, and 5 MM /MH4

mjc

So I'm about to do my system transfer and both consoles are telling me to update. So I do it and my old 3DS downloaded it in like a second while the new 3DS is still downloading it like 3 minutes later. So much for that faster processing power...

Probably something with the servers when you got the N3DS going.

co1onel

More out of touch than all the kids toys that need to be unscrewed in order to replace the batteries?
They do that on purpose so the kids can't easily access the batteries. I assume the n3ds was designed with the same thought in mind. Kids would lose the micro SD card so easily.

I picked up my Monster Hunter Edition New 3DS XL, really digging it so far. Love the 3D tracking, it works well. And a huge upgrade in the audio department, my old 3DS XL had subpar sound, this time it's loud and crisp.

Ellite25

Hm, I feel like I should hold off on getting one. Is it really THAT big of an upgrade over the original 3DS XL?
I upgraded from an XL and would say that if you really enjoy the 3D aspect then it is worth it. The 3D is pretty amazing now, and never really goes out like the old one did. You can actually play a game in 3D and now worry about it going out of focus. System feels snappier for sure, and I like the extra buttons on the back. It's not a massive overhaul, but if you play your 3DS frequently and really like the 3D I'd say its worth it.

co1onel

I picked up my Monster Hunter Edition New 3DS XL, really digging it so far. Love the 3D tracking, it works well. And a huge upgrade in the audio department, my old 3DS XL had subpar sound, this time it's loud and crisp.
Are you referring to the speakers or the headphone jack?

So I'm about to do my system transfer and both consoles are telling me to update. So I do it and my old 3DS downloaded it in like a second while the new 3DS is still downloading it like 3 minutes later. So much for that faster processing power...

Something goofy is going on (too many connections?). We're having the same problem here. It eventually errors out.

EDIT: http://en-americas-support.nintendo...sage:-an-error-has-occurred.-unable-to-update
Had to disable my firewall. ... Odd

Debs

Awesome thanks SO much it worked..it was the zelda game that needed to be transferred to system memory..now that is done and my old system has been fully formatted..can I go ahead and put in my NNID on my NEW system??

Your NNID should have been transferred, mine was when I did it earlier today.

SuperLoserPeen2

Neo Member
Okay. Need help and solutions.

My big brother bought a New 3DS XL (along with Majora's Mask 3D and Zelda character Amiibos), got home, took pictures and then going through transfer process from his old 3DS XL. Everything was going well up until the eShop data transfer, where the old 3DS XL lost connection to the Internet to check eShop activity. Now the old 3DS XL got formatted and going through initial setup while his New 3DS XL is awaiting connection to transfer eShop data. Check to transfer again on old 3DS XL, but it says we need to wait 7 days to do transfer again. What to do?

My big brother's New 3DS XL is still waiting to transfer eShop data at this moment...

Just got home from work and don't feel like skimming through the last 3 or so pages, but has anyone's order from Best Buy shipped?

Mine has been on "preparing shipment" for nearly 36 hours now and my paypal still hasn't been charged.. Kinda ridiculous it doesn't even ship out on the actual release date.

Was your NNID on the old system? It's been about a month since I did my transfer but I thought my NNID went across as part of the transfer and I just had to confirm the password, maybe I'm misremembering though, someone that's transferred today could probably give a better answer sorry.

As far as I know the time is only available in 24hr format. Can't see anywhere to change that in system settings.

Yeah its already transferred over I had no idea LOL Im such a newb at this LOL..so with the clock if I go into settings and go to 3:48 it will automatically just go to military time? So basically the clock is useless then since I have no idea if its showing it in AM or PM

Frostburn

Checked my local best buy and didn't even see a place where they were before selling out. Local Target has one of each color so I was able to walk out with a black one and MH4. Excited to play! Was anyone else's new 3DS not charged at all out of the box?

The Lamp

This device is so much better than the original XL, my god.

First of all, the 3D made the 3DS' 3D feature jump from a cool gimmick to a needed effect I want in all my future handheld games. I'm playing MM 3D and the 3D is just so crisp and smooth and clear. UGHH it's beautiful. I'm so thankful to not have the effect constantly broken while I play now.

The other huge feature for me is the volume is finally not pathetic. The 3DS XL had such low volume I couldn't play it without headphones anywhere outside my room.

komorebi

Got my n3ds XL transferred and ready to go and re-downloading MH4 now. I'm really feeling it. Build quality is much improved over the original XL but I'm not crazy about the horizontal wobble/slide the top screen has going on. I know it's a 'design choice' but I'm not really feeling it. Other than that though I'm really feeling it!

I upgraded from an XL and would say that if you really enjoy the 3D aspect then it is worth it. The 3D is pretty amazing now, and never really goes out like the old one did. You can actually play a game in 3D and now worry about it going out of focus. System feels snappier for sure, and I like the extra buttons on the back. It's not a massive overhaul, but if you play your 3DS frequently and really like the 3D I'd say its worth it.

Have a regular XL and I wouldn't say the upgrade is for everyone but the improved 3d tech is pretty impressive. I also think it's more comfortable to hold in my brief time of playing around with it, the backplate seems a bit sturdier (although I haven't opened it up so it might be just as flimsy as the previous one) and the shoulder buttons are more snappier.

Anybody else loving their Red n3DSXL?

Me :) My City Target had plenty of the red ones available..I kept on calling like a mad woman to make sure I could get one..they had zero black and of course no majora mask ones(They had a few but someone camped out from 4am to get one) now I just need to find a nice case for it and Im all set..oh and I want that charging cradle for it too

Ellite25

Anybody else loving their Red n3DSXL?
I am for sure. The color is really cool. Depending on the lighting is has some darker shades of red to it. I like that it's not completely flat. I originally picked up the black one in the store this morning and then walked back and decided to get red. Don't regret that at all.

gogogow

Oh man, just realized that this system transfer is going to take A LOT longer than I originally thought.

You should've transferred the licenses only and pop in your old 3DS MicroSD (or copy everything to your PC and move to a MicroSD card) into your N3DS and you're done. This is what I did and luckily I was already using a MicroSD.

Mob

Yeah its already transferred over I had no idea LOL Im such a newb at this LOL..so with the clock if I go into settings and go to 3:48 it will automatically just go to military time? So basically the clock is useless then since I have no idea if its showing it in AM or PM

I didn't realise that it only had 24hr time until you asked the question, seems strange that there's no 12hr option.

But yeh if you set it to 3:48, the system will take that as 3:48am. No way to specify pm as far as I can see.

PikkonX

I knew I wanted to get another 3DS soon (sold mine about two years ago), but had no intention of picking this up on launch. Somehow, I ended up on BestBuy.com today and decided to go ahead and place an order for in-store pick up. Must've done it just in time as the rep mentioned that there was a line outside when they opened and quite a few people asking for the system. I picked up Majoras Mask with it and it's great so far. The 3D tracking works better than I expected and the sound is much improved over the original XL speakers. Now to try to remember all the good games I missed out on the last two years...

I didn't realise that it only had 24hr time until you asked the question, seems strange that there's no 12hr option.

But yeh if you set it to 3:48, the system will take that as 3:48am. No way to specify pm as far as I can see.

Yeah that sucks but oh well its all good no worries..now I just have to find a nice plastic hard shell case for it(Any recommendations) also, that battery charging cradle that they sell online(At Play-asia) is compatible with the US 3DS XLs? Not sure whether I should get it from them or another place online

shuusin

Neo Member
Okay so I've read the transfer threads prior to getting my n3ds and thought I knew what I was doing but I've confused myself.

1) I have a 3DS that I've given to a family member and do not have access to for a few weeks.
2) The only thing I want from that 3DS are my digital eShop games, eg. NNID transfer.

Since I cannot do a transfer without the console, I was planning on not registering the NNID on my n3ds until I got the 3ds back; but if I start playing with my n3ds online (MH4) and try to transfer later, I believe I will lose my MH4 data.

Is the solution to register my NNID on my n3ds? Or still just to wait until I get access to my 3DS?

Derpyduck

Banned

How is that out of touch? It's done because batteries are a choking hazard.

In regard to the speakers, old launch 3DS XL was really bad and N3DS XL is a very nice improvement.
I'm finding the new speakers to be as bad as the old XL right until the very last push to the top of its range and that's where its a huge improvement over the previous model.

hlhbk

So literally no gamestops, targets, or walmarts around me that have this system in Nashville. Anyone think there is any hope more arrive tomorrow?

this might be related to the topic. Which screen protector should I invest in gaf for the new 3ds xl?

I don't want scratches like my original 3ds on the top screen just from closing the 3ds =[

20150213_191412_zps308yumbw.jpg

Please excuse the dusty 3ds =/

dubq

I've never actually used multiple SD cards with one 3DS before.. is this possible, a la the PS Vita? Or are you only able to have one SD card linked to your system, total?

Thanks! :)

Cuburt

Okay so I've read the transfer threads prior to getting my n3ds and thought I knew what I was doing but I've confused myself.

1) I have a 3DS that I've given to a family member and do not have access to for a few weeks.
2) The only thing I want from that 3DS are my digital eShop games, eg. NNID transfer.

Since I cannot do a transfer without the console, I was planning on not registering the NNID on my n3ds until I got the 3ds back; but if I start playing with my n3ds online (MH4) and try to transfer later, I believe I will lose my MH4 data.

Is the solution to register my NNID on my n3ds? Or still just to wait until I get access to my 3DS?

Pretty sure it overwrites the data on the target system (the New 3DS) as soon as you transfer it, including saves. Unless you don't care about losing any progress on MH4 that you had on the New 3DS when you transfer it, you are better off waiting.

There is no way to merge saves on two SD cards (they mention it during the transfer process) and you can't just input your old NNID on your New 3DS, if that's what you were planning to do. You have to do the transfer process involving both systems. That's the only way you can do it yourself, to my understanding.

big_z

this might be related to the topic. Which screen protector should I invest in gaf for the new 3ds xl?

I don't want scratches like my original 3ds on the top screen just from closing the 3ds =[

20150213_191412_zps308yumbw.jpg

Please excuse the dusty 3ds =/

Hori, they're officially licensed by Nintendo anything else is crap.

Top Bottom