• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

I've always had that message. It has to do with Mii Plaza. Once you've updated it, it won't run without the update data. The update data is on the SD card. But its harmless.

Ok that's great if so. I tried to watch videos and i didn't see it in Nintendo's video of the transfer. But if it's only Mii Plaza (mine seems to be ok), that's great. Thanks!

Tygamr

Ugh I was thinking of going to Gamestop and taking advantage of the 3DS trade in deal, but now I don't know what stores have stock because they removed the stock/in-store pickup availability checker... I know some nearby had stock last night but who knows now...

Jobbs

Banned
someone told me they played MH4U on their New 3DS and on their old, and on N3DS it runs at 60 fps and on the old it runs at 30 fps.

This sounds like a stretch to me, but I just thought I'd ask if there's anything to this?

The Lamp

People kinda exaggerated the 3D effect in the sense that you absolutely CAN break it easily, just not as easily as before, and it's definitely not as common of an occurrence as before.

Zing

Banned
someone told me they played MH4U on their New 3DS and on their old, and on N3DS it runs at 60 fps and on the old it runs at 30 fps.

This sounds like a stretch to me, but I just thought I'd ask if there's anything to this?
I haven't personally checked, but from what I have read, the game drops to 30fps in multiplayer on a regular 3DS.

People kinda exaggerated the 3D effect in the sense that you absolutely CAN break it easily, just not as easily as before, and it's definitely not as common of an occurrence as before.
Not sure what you mean by "breaking", but no, I literally cannot get the 3D effect to be lost no matter how move the system around (in normal usage, not ridiculous angles). It's no exaggeration.

Jb

I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised with the New XL. I picked one up because of the MM edition but was afraid 240p games would look like shit on a screen this big.
They don't, and the buttons feel much better than my Day 1 OG console. 2D platformers are actually playable with the D-pad now thats it isn't so low and so small.

Leave it to Nintendo however to take such a step back by putting the micro SD inside the fucking thing instead of having a slot like they did before. And it's 2015 and we still don't have an account system. Not that I expected it, but I feel it's my duty to bitch about it because of how retarded and anti-consumer it is.

atbigelow

The sdcard slot is totally fine where it is. I wish they had used larger screws. I have literally changed my old XLs sdcard once until yesterday. No need to waste physical space on a slot that will be used twice.

Account system already exists. No it isn't convenient how its currently implemented, but argue with the right terms.

Pachimari

I have made up my mind. I'm going for the normal sized New 3DS in black. Are the face plates of different material?

Are they clicked on or do you need to screw?

I forget... does Nintendo not sell products on Amazon? I feel like this was a thing a year or two ago and now I've forgotten. I went to Target in a snow storm after they said they had it in stock, and they were out when I got there. Other target said they had them too and I called and they did not.

So after a ton of back and forth with Amazon.fr (I don't speak French and the people in charge of their english support email don't seem that fluent), I found out that the N3DS is temporary out of stock. Their solution is to refund me the extra money I paid for express shipping, but that's crap.

First of all, I was planning on using hacks to get around the region lock (I live in the US, and you can probably guess why I'm importing). If their second batch of systems comes updated out of the box, I'm screwed.

Second of all, I preordered on January-freaking-19th. How the heck do they suddenly run out of stock for people who preordered a full month ahead of time.

samn

So after a ton of back and forth with Amazon.fr (I don't speak French and the people in charge of their english support email don't seem that fluent), I found out that the N3DS is temporary out of stock. Their solution is to refund me the extra money I paid for express shipping, but that's crap.

First of all, I was planning on using hacks to get around the region lock (I live in the US, and you can probably guess why I'm importing). If their second batch of systems comes updated out of the box, I'm screwed.

Second of all, I preordered on January-freaking-19th. How the heck do they suddenly run out of stock for people who preordered a full month ahead of time.

Wow, that sucks. I ordered only maybe a week ago and it's already shipped to the UK. Just sitting around in a warehouse until UPS are scheduled to deliver it Monday.... nnnnggh

co1onel

The frame rate is extremely variable. Its not as clear cut as "60 vs 30." On the old 3DS it can drop as low as 25fps in 4 player online against gore. However in single player it probably averages around 30-40. On the new 3ds the frame rate is definitely better, but it still drops lower than 60 quite often, especially if you have 3d on.

Derpyduck

Banned
My New 3DS XL makes a few clicking/creaking sounds as it just opens. It seems a few people I know have it happen as well.

Is this normal? Am I being OCD?

Mine is doing the same thing. It's not a very pleasant sound.

Not in the United States. They do in Europe (and apparently in Canada, too).

It's not really a question of Nintendo not selling their products on Amazon US, but more of a question of Amazon US choosing not to stock Nintendo hardware.

The heck? When did you order yours, and is this the regular or the XL? I'm based in the UK, ordered mine on Wednesday night and got an e-mail on Thursday saying it had been dispatched.

Calamari41

41 > 38
So I did the system transfer and it never even gave me the choice of doing it via PC... I copied the contents of the old SD card to my computer before doing anything, and then copied those contents onto the new SD card after finishing the transfer. I get the same layout and folders and everything that I had on the old system, but none of the games or their saves are showing up. Did I do something wrong and now I have to re-download my games from the eshop? Are my saves gone? I'm trying to re-copy the data again.

Pachimari

What do I need to get?

- New Nintendo 3DS (black)
- Nintendo Charging Craddle
- Nintendo Charger
- 32gb SDHC Card
- Screen Protector

Is that it?

I haven't decided on a face plate and I'm actually not sure what I need all of that space for. Anything noteworthy on the eShop that isn't on Steam already?

I'll buy my games physically.
Is it also possible to make the 3DS region free or is that not legal?

The heck? When did you order yours, and is this the regular or the XL? I'm based in the UK, ordered mine on Wednesday night and got an e-mail on Thursday saying it had been dispatched.

I ordered it on January 19. It's a regular version, which is why I'm importing—I'm a screwed over American.

I also received an email saying it had been shipped on Thursday. The my-orders page says this as well. However, the estimated delivery date was way later than it should have been, which is why I contacted Amazon's customer service. A customer service person from i-parcel says they haven't actually received the package yet—it's just "been pre-alerted that we will be receiving it."

I've asked Amazon if they can just (further) increase the shipping speed, from "Priority," which i paid for, to whatever "Eclair" translates too in English. That will solve the problem as far as I'm concerned, as long as their second batch of systems isn't on a firmware beyond 9.2. If it comes on 9.3 or above, I am freaking screwed.

Rich!

Is it also possible to make the 3DS region free or is that not legal?

In two hours from now or so when Gateway release the N3DS exploit, yes. Region free is possible. DO NOT UPDATE PAST FIRMWARE 9.2. Your 3DS will come on 9.0 if its the first batch (most likely)

And yes, its legal in the majority of countries in the world. Its against the EULA Nintendo set, but that does not mean shit here in Europe/UK.

DagsJT

Odd decision for Nintendo to only release the standard 3DS cradle in white. Even looking on Japanese sites, I can only get mint or pink instead?

Pachimari

In two hours from now or so when Gateway release the N3DS exploit, yes. Region free is possible. DO NOT UPDATE PAST FIRMWARE 9.2. Your 3DS will come on 9.0 if its the first batch (most likely)

And yes, its legal in the majority of countries in the world. Its against the EULA Nintendo set, but that does not mean shit here in Europe/UK.
Thanks. The only US exclusive physical releases at the moment is Shin Megami Tensei?

Odd decision for Nintendo to only release the standard 3DS cradle in white. Even looking on Japanese sites, I can only get mint or pink instead?
I'm pretty sure my OG 3DS had a black craddle. And the New Nintendo 3DS have both a white and black craddle.

terrisus

Well, was still getting the hangup and error when trying to do the full wireless transfer...
So I just went and did the PC transfer, got everything sent over from my 64GB SDXC card to my 64GB MicroSDXC card, everything seems to be in place, saves seem fine, etc.

So, yay, finally all set and good to go!

Rich!

Thanks. The only US exclusive physical releases at the moment is Shin Megami Tensei?

I think there's also code of princess and rune factory too.

Japan has a ridiculous amount of exclusives, that's where the main appeal is. Puyo puyo tetris was my first import!

I ordered it on January 19. It's a regular version, which is why I'm importing—I'm a screwed over American.

I also received an email saying it had been shipped on Thursday. The my-orders page says this as well. However, the estimated delivery date was way later than it should have been, which is why I contacted Amazon's customer service. A customer service person from i-parcel says they haven't actually received the package yet—it's just "been pre-alerted that we will be receiving it."

I've asked Amazon if they can just (further) increase the shipping speed, from "Priority," which i paid for, to whatever "Eclair" translates too in English. That will solve the problem as far as I'm concerned, as long as their second batch of systems isn't on a firmware beyond 9.2. If it comes on 9.3 or above, I am freaking screwed.
Sorry to hear that. I ordered the regular one too, and my confirmation e-mail says it should be here by Monday 16th. Here's to hoping.

terrisus

Also, as I expected, the "Super-Stable 3D" doesn't work for me.

It told me it wasn't working correctly when trying to set it up.
I re-calibrated it after setup, and still can't get it to work right.

When playing a game with 3D on, there are multiple images.
Further, the images jump all over the place as the system tries to figure out what my eyes are doing.

No particular surprise. My eyes are all sorts of messed up.
Just one of the many fun after-effects of having had a stroke >.>

I have a question about the charging cradle, I saw it on play-asia but it says Compatibility Japan..I also saw the same charging cradle on amazon UK not sure which place to order it from, and secondly if its compatible with the US NEW 3DS XL..I guess amazon would be better since they give you an actual arrival date, but play-asia is a reliable site just how it says compatibility japan makes me think that cradle is only to be used in japan

Rich!

I have a question about the charging cradle, I saw it on play-asia but it says Compatibility Japan..I also saw the same charging cradle on amazon UK not sure which place to order it from, and secondly if its compatible with the US NEW 3DS XL..I guess amazon would be better since they give you an actual arrival date, but play-asia is a reliable site just how it says compatibility japan makes me think that cradle is only to be used in japan

Uh. You're over thinking this.

The charging cradle is region free. Its literally just a block of plastic you plug an AC adapter into. Plug your existing AC adapter into it. Doesn't matter what region its from.

Order from Amazon UK. Its cheaper.

Got to mess around with my Black XL some last night after picking it up from GameStop.

The c-stick nub actually works pretty decently from some quick testing in Smash, didn't really need to use a lot of force to activate the moves with it.

Didn't run into any issues with my glasses, outside of the one-second realignment when I moved my head too quickly. For normal slight movement it does it almost instantly. Even worked in a darker room which was nice.

The improved speed is probably the best thing. Downloaded the PW Trilogy on the eShop in maybe 5 minutes tops where my old XL would have taken at least twice or thrice that (got in an accident back in December and had to have arm therapy to get use in my right hand again).

Oddly enough the glossy surface seems to make gripping it easier as my hands tend to slightly sweat when holding controls/handhelds, compared to my old XL anyways.

Sucks I had to go on Amazon.co.uk for the cradle, NoA loves to make braindead decisions lately for whatever reason. >.>

terrisus

Japan has a ridiculous amount of exclusives, that's where the main appeal is. Puyo puyo tetris was my first import!

You mean you didn't import this?:

9Qd0NOY.jpg

Honestly, the Bio-Sensor, which is supposed to increase the piece drop speed as your pulse increases, doesn't work that great. I tried jogging in place to purposely get my pulse up, and even then the pieces didn't fall all that fast >.> But, it was a great idea at least!

Rich!

You mean you didn't import this?:

9Qd0NOY.jpg

Honestly, the Bio-Sensor, which is supposed to increase the piece drop speed as your pulse increases, doesn't work that great. I tried jogging in place to purposely get my pulse up, and even then the pieces didn't fall all that fast >.> But, it was a great idea at least!

Ohhh no, my first 3DS import is what I meant! My first actual import was Sin and Punishment for the N64!

And yes, I had bio Tetris. It was bizarre.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S9XZAPK/

is that the one I should get..never ordered from amazon UK before

Yep! Just sign in with your Amazon.com account and checkout like you would do normally.

terrisus

Ohhh no, my first 3DS import is what I meant! My first actual import was Sin and Punishment for the N64!

Ah, I see.

And, yay, another person who's played Bio-Tetris!
Not too many people around that I can share with the game about =)

The other modes - and in particular being able to change the width of the play field - were definitely interesting too.
Surprised they haven't shown back up in any other Tetris game.

hitgirl

Does the New 3DSXL back creek / make noise when using? I know it's a minor detail but I hated how my 3DS XL back / sides would make creeking noising and could be pressed "in" while playing. Didn't feel like a solid construction. If the 3DSXL is solid and doesn't make those "gives" and creeking noise I'd probably upgrade just for that.

Yep! Just sign in with your Amazon.com account and checkout like you would do normally.

Great!! Hopefully my credit card won't think its odd that Im ordering something from out of the country but since its amazon it should be Ok :)

Spike

Can someone please be so kind as to post some pics of the red console?

Since the thief who broke into our house and stole my little brother's red XL, and my current dire financial situation, is preventing me from buying him a replacement, he would just like to see what it looks like.

Thanks.

Top Bottom