• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

This site https://www.decalgirl.com/ has some skins for the system. I was thinking about the retro one because it would protect it, keep it slim still, and look almost better if it wasnt for the red letters on the skin.

n3dsll-retro-hor.jpg
Wow, this site is nice. Going to add it to the Customization thread.
Been meaning to add to the default cover.

Raven77

So, I have a problem and need some advice. I got home with my New 3ds last night around midnight, house dark, etc. I proceeded to update the systems and transfer over from my old 3ds. Thats when I noticed a small 1/8th inch long and somewhat deep scratch in the top screen. Being that I was so tired I just figured I would finish the transfer, boot up MH 4 for a few minutes to check it out then head to bed.

Well this morning after doing just that, I realize that the scratch is a bit more annoying than I first thought. The scratch was definitely there right out of the box.

So, did I screw up big time by transferring to the new system and creating a save file for Monster Hunter? Can I now not go and exchange this New 3ds for a non scratched one?

I'm not even sure if its worth the hassle but it really pisses me off that it was basically damaged right out of the box.

I hate quoting myself but any help here? Thanks.

Derpyduck

Banned
So I successfully got Nintendo to transfer my digital content over but I have to wait for a confirmation email that might take 5 days confirming that they attached my content to my new 3DS. The rep told me not to make a nnid on the new XL yet so I'm stuck with a sexy red new unit that I can't use yet lol.

They told me it would take 2-3 business days. I woke up this morning and there was an email stating the transfer was complete. Took 24 hours. Definitely better than what they said, so there's hope for you. A real account system can't come soon enough though. Consumers shouldn't have to call to get their digital purchases back.

Woffls

I've still got a 2GB SD in my OG 3DS, and my New 3DS will be arriving with a 4GB card and Majora's Mask pre-installed. The OG 3DS has my NNID associated with it, and it's the one I want to use on the New 3DS.

I will want to upgrade the New 3DS card at some point, and my question is simply: should I do that as part of the system transfer process, or afterwards?

I assume afterwards only entails the following:
  1. Don't upgrade any SD cards yet
  2. Do the license transfer process over wifi
  3. When complete, use PC to transfer data from 4GB Micro SD to new MicroSD
  4. Put new MicroSD in New 3DS and discard 4GB MicroSD
Presumably the initial process will transfer all the licences, and anything after that is kinda difficult to mess up? Not sure how saves work... are they on cartridges or SD?

I shall be re-watching the system transfer videos a few times, I think.

Thanks yo.

ColEx

So I successfully got Nintendo to transfer my digital content over but I have to wait for a confirmation email that might take 5 days confirming that they attached my content to my new 3DS. The rep told me not to make a nnid on the new XL yet so I'm stuck with a sexy red new unit that I can't use yet lol.

I'm going through the same process atm, i don't own my old 3DS anymore and all of my details were removed and the console was formatted. I still use the same NNID with my Wii U though, so hopefully this speeds things up with getting it sorted.

No, you can use it. You don't need a NNID to play it! Just don't sign up for a NNID!

Yeah he can use it, if he got physical games. But anything from the eshop like demos etc, makes you sign in with NNID.

eXistor

Yeah seems so. It's very distracting tho, at least on mine : each time I push the 3D or volume buttons, it repositions the screen with a small "clack". It must varies from one unit to another, but at least on mine it's pretty important.

I went to a store and had the clerk open one Major's Mask for comparison (I have a black XL) and it had the same thing, but not as noticeable. I dunno, I just had my licenses transfered, I really don't feel like going through this whole process all over again. *sigh*
I have the MM 3DS XL and there's a very noticeable gap in mine. I personally don't mind it one bit, it seems to be perfectly normal tbh. I've used about 5 different XL's (I had to do transfers for some customers) and they all have it the same. It's just how it is, don't sweat it.

kubus

I hate quoting myself but any help here? Thanks.
You'll have to call the store and see what your options are. After doing a system transfer you have to wait 7 days before you can do another one, so you won't be able to exchange it for a new one right away (which is probably not an option anyway because of limited stock).

I'm sorry, I'm afraid you'll have to send it to Nintendo but check with the store first :(

Xtyle

Does the whole system transfer thing requires reading and copying from the SD card from original 3DS manually? I am asking because I don't have a card reader for the type of SD card that came with my old 3DS XL.

Also, does the red/black N3DS comes with SD card installed? If I buy a larger SD card can I simply install it and then do a system transfer?

This whole god damn thing is a mess. Nintendo should get out of business altogether if they aren't improving in this area in this day and age, and that whole friend code thing.

massoluk

Banned
The transfer was nerve wracking for me. While transferring eshop game, the source 3ds was disconnected and prompt me to try again later while the new 3ds was showing the pikmins still running around non-stop

I pressed ok on the "try again later" in the source 3ds and it reboot with everything wiped out.

I tried my luck, shut down new 3ds with the pikmins and rebooted it with microsd from the old system inserted, thanks goodness it booted to connection screen and eventually I saw my old username and all my purchase in the new 3ds.

Bloody hell, I seriously thought I'll have to call Nintendo Tech Support. Phew.

Bathingape

Neo Member
I don't know if this is just an issue with my n3ds xl or its just the way its built.

the top screen can be shift left and right, it is not tight on the hinge. anyone else have this problem or is it just a design flaw?

kubus

Yeah seems so. It's very distracting tho, at least on mine : each time I push the 3D or volume buttons, it repositions the screen with a small "clack". It must varies from one unit to another, but at least on mine it's pretty important.

I went to a store and had the clerk open one Major's Mask for comparison (I have a black XL) and it had the same thing, but not as noticeable. I dunno, I just had my licenses transfered, I really don't feel like going through this whole process all over again. *sigh*
My first Zelda XL unit had this issue and it was incredibly distracting and annoying. Just tilting the system would make the screen "fall down", making a clack noise as it bumped against the hinge.

I received a second Zelda XL a day later (made 2 pre-orders in case one got cancelled) and this one also had "the gap" but didn't make noises and the screen didn't flop around as much.

So yeah it's supposed to be there but the size of the gap and noise seems to be different between systems. If it really annoys you, you can try to exchange it but there's always the chance the next will have the same problem.

MarkusRJR

I don't know if this is just an issue with my n3ds xl or its just the way its built.

the top screen can be shift left and right, it is not tight on the hinge. anyone else have this problem or is it just a design flaw?
Yeah me and my friend noticed this issue, among other small hardware quirks (bad plastic molding on both units, light bleeding when looking at sharp angles, etc). Doesn't feel like a Nintendo product.

btkadams

Holy shit Nintendo's online guide for system transfers is a tad complex lol. Doing a transfer right now. It's not hard to follow but 34 steps? Perhaps they could make it a little simpler..

Has anyone's bestbuy preorder moved from preparing yet? I just want to cancel it at this point

Would be nice to be able to cancel but for the past 3 days it says I can't because they are still doing their super mega amazing perfect luxurious preparing phase of shipping...better be damn well packaged...

Snickles

Has anyone's bestbuy preorder moved from preparing yet? I just want to cancel it at this point

I am in the same boat with "preparing". I am really disappointed as all I can do with my copy of MH4U is stare at it and hope Best Buy ships my n3DS XL soon.

I'm liking the New 3DS XL so far, but one complaint...

I liked how you can insert a wrist strap on the bottom left of your Old 3DS XL, but the loop for the strap is on the top of the New 3DS XL...

Now I have to be extra careful with my MM 3DS XL... Unless there's another way.

Sakujou

Banned
got mine today.

i though till today, that the n3ds will be shipped with a charging cable and only the xl wont have this cable!?!?!?

THE FUQ!!!!
so mad about this.

fortunately i own the old cable, but this simply sucks.

another one was the infinite transfer time.
it took ages(maybe 30minutes) until my data from my old 3ds went over to the new one.

3d effect is not as good as expected

c-stick is weird.

position of zr and zl sucks.

summary:
-no charging cable
-c-stick sucks
-3d effect isnt as good (still have ghosting/doubling)
-battery isnt as good as i thought
-inserting the cart feels weird because it "clicks". i always have the feeling while inserting it, that the cart is taking some damage or something.

can anyone share similiar experiences?

btw. nintendo should be charged for sending out hardware without a charger.
what is this? LEGO!?!?!? i want a full working system and no DIY-shit.

taranatar

Cheers, had no idea they had an English-language support option. I was already mentally preparing a rough French one :) 15 Euro back, not bad, but I'm kicking myself for not just hanging off and buying from Argos now - two free games and a tenner voucher. ffs.

Cannot find this argos deal on their website?

Zing

Banned
My XL's speakers give off this strange vibrating sound when you play the Ocarina in MM :/

Hmm.... anybody else's XL too ?
It's not the speakers. It's the volume or 3D slider. Known issue with this and the old XL. The sliders are physically touching the speaker housing inside the case. Only fix is to somehow tighten the sliders or lower your volume.

I've had four XL systems pass through my hands. Three had what you describe. It's nothing to be concerned about, and I'd likely preferred so as to prevent hinge damage.

This is a $200 plastic device. You can't expect iPhone aluminium level tolerances here.

Revenile

Ok so my issue I was having with bright splotches on the bottom screen have vanished, I don't have a screen protector on the bottom screen anymore, but I'll live. So far I love the new model, it's such a fantastic upgrade from the original XL, I just wish this was still there (If it is, I can't get it to work) The Browser Minigame

I was having a weird issue earlier where, if I rested my hand on the bottom-left side of the system (where your hand naturally is while using the control slider), it registered a touch point on the bottom of the middle of the touchscreen. My character kept using whetstones and then I kept hearing the "can't use an item" sound throughout that hunt. It seems to have gone away but I'm afraid it'll be back :-/

My C-Stick is a bit stiff. I mean, I was expecting the nub to not really move at all but when I am trying to move the camera in Majora's Mask or MonHun I find that I sometimes struggle to get good responsiveness and the camera stutters as it moves.

It's my only frustration so far.

Mine is a bit different, it has the slightest of clicks before registering, about a mm or less, but i notice it. Oh well I will keep an eye on it, controlling with the c-stick isn't bad, i don't think there is a delay in the movement in MM or anything like that, it is harder to pan the camera down with it than any other direction though.

Yuterald

So, I'm a bit confused, I can't use my 32G SDHC card that I used in my original 3DS in the New 3DS? Couldn't I just transfer the liscence stuff and then pop in the old card into the New 3DS?

//ARCANUM

So, I'm a bit confused, I can't use my 32G SDHC card that I used in my original 3DS in the New 3DS? Couldn't I just transfer the liscence stuff and then pop in the old card into the New 3DS?

i believe they switched to micro sd cards which is why you can't use the same one anymore :/

Thank goodness for headphones.

It's not the speakers. It's the volume or 3D slider. Known issue with this and the old XL. The sliders are physically touching the speaker housing inside the case. Only fix is to somehow tighten the sliders or lower your volume.

Ah, so it's "normal" and can be fixed somehow ? Thats reassuring, I thought my unit was faulty .
got mine today.

3d effect is not as good as expected

-3d effect isnt as good (still have ghosting/doubling)

Have you tried holding the system a bit closer to your face and change the lighting in the room / your position so that the camera can track your face better ?

I was kinda disappointed with the new 3D too....at first...until I found the right distance to hold it.
It's literally flawless for me now.

Banned
They told me it would take 2-3 business days. I woke up this morning and there was an email stating the transfer was complete. Took 24 hours. Definitely better than what they said, so there's hope for you. A real account system can't come soon enough though. Consumers shouldn't have to call to get their digital purchases back.
He told me 2-3 business days is the standard but because it's a long weekend in Canada, and the fact that they got swamped on launch day it could take 4-5 days and if it did to give them a call with my reference number.

I hope I get lucky like you. I'm sitting at home doing nothing lol.

Best Buy, what are you doing?

I don't think anyone who pre-ordered a New 3DS XL from them has had their order ship yet. This by itself is frustrating, but no one can cancel their order, either by phone or on the website. So, Best Buy has our money (which they took two days ago) but we don't even have our item on its way to our home.

Madness. I'm done with them. A little communication goes a long way but Best Buy doesn't believe in interacting with their customers, I suppose.

Gurrry

I don't think anyone who pre-ordered a New 3DS XL from them has had their order ship yet. This by itself is frustrating, but no one can cancel their order, either by phone or on the website. So, Best Buy has our money (which they took two days ago) but we don't even have our item on its way to our home.

Madness. I'm done with them. A little communication goes a long way but Best Buy doesn't believe in interacting with their customers, I suppose.

same here, why havent they shipped yet?

wtf

OmegaFax

Mine shipped yesterday and will be at my door on Monday.

Top Bottom