• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

psychotron

I didn't fire my system up yet but these reports of dead/stuck pixels have me upset. I can't stand dead pixels and won't live with any.

Between the dead pixels, loose hinges, wonky circle pads, I'm fucking dreading returning my n3dsXL next week. I have the Monster Hunter bundle, and I fully expect to go through the process and burn through all their Monster Hunter backup units and have to settle for a god damn black or red one, and then not get the refund of the difference between the units.

jblank83

I didn't fire my system up yet but these reports of dead/stuck pixels have me upset. I can't stand dead pixels and won't live with any.

That's been a reality since DS, early smartphones, and the first LCD televisions. This article is from 2005:
http://news.cnet.com/Consumers-see-red-over-dead-pixels/2100-1041_3-5579493.html

When I buy a N3DS I plan on doing so through Best Buy with a warranty, so I can return it if it does have dead pixels. They're supposed to be pretty good about that.

My n3dsxl mhle is fine no dead pixels or wonky hinges, sorry for your trouble! I love the new clicky buttons and how snappy the home menu is, definitely worth the upgrade IMO.

My n3dsxl mhle is fine no dead pixels or wonky hinges, sorry for your trouble! I love the new clicky buttons and how snappy the home menu is, definitely worth the upgrade IMO.

Only issue i have is my c-stick clicks and moves about a mm or less when using it, only issue, slightly annoyed as it is a selling feature, but overall happy.

Rocky

Banned
Between the dead pixels, loose hinges, wonky circle pads, I'm fucking dreading returning my n3dsXL next week. I have the Monster Hunter bundle, and I fully expect to go through the process and burn through all their Monster Hunter backup units and have to settle for a god damn black or red one, and then not get the refund of the difference between the units.

This is why I never bother with LEs or special editions of consoles. They're nice, sure. But there's just way too much hassle to get them, and then if something goes wrong, more hassle getting it fixed or replaced.

I've even heard of people sending in LE systems to Nintendo for repair, and if it needed to be replaced, they won't guarantee another LE system to replace it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cannot find this argos deal on their website?

It was tricky for me. One of the '5 special offers' you scroll through says two free games. But the text doesn't fit on the screen so you can't see the button you have to press. But if you press the '>' button you can see it scroll past. Took me a few tries but I managed to click the button as it went past.

Basically a choice of two free games from the following
- Layton miracle mask
- the room something
- dead or alive
- street fighter

Edit: Amazon.fr refunded me £14.14, which is actually more than the postage was, so it makes the n3DS about €150 with free delivery - or about £110 :)

Calamari41

41 > 38
Picked up the last one at my local Target... They got 22 in, including 8 Majora's Mask editions. The manager told me that if I wanted a red one I should wait since new shipments aren't going to be an issue, but I decided to just settle for the black.

The new 3D is amazing. I always used to turn it off after a few minutes, but now I will probably never turn it off. This is a game changer.

The only problem is the 128 gb SD card that I got can't be formatted in fat32, so I have to wait to do the system transfer. No big deal though, I'm having fun checking out the new 3D in the physical games I got in the system's first year.

quick few questions guys

* Does the new 3d actually work as advertised and is there any issues with it ?
* What the battery life like compared to the "old" XL?

Never owned a Gameboy, DS, 3DS, or any other Nintendo handheld (or any handheld for that matter), so I think I might buy this. Pretty tough to find... There's one at a Target about 2 towns over, 20 mins. And I've got a $50 gift card... should I get it? Anything else that I need (I heard charging cable)

A lot of comparisons on battery are to existing 3DS, what's the general battery life, e.g., non-comparison

MarkusRJR

quick few questions guys

* Does the new 3d actually work as advertised and is there any issues with it ?
* What the battery life like compared to the "old" XL?
-As long as you don't wear glasses it works just as advertised. I heard it has trouble tracking people who have darker skin tones though.
-Battery is basically the same.

Derpyduck

Banned
I had to return 5 ipad air2's to get a "perfect" unit. After the whole ordeal, I think I'll just live with these defects from now on.

I did too, and the end result was Best Buy marking me as a consumer who is not allowed to return purchased items anymore. Complete bullshit, but now I never shop at Best Buy. They did me a favor though, because on Black Friday I went to Target and got a perfect Air 2 and they threw in a 160 dollar store credit.

Stuck/dead pixels are unacceptable. Fortunately my new XL has none.

Picked up the last one at my local Target... They got 22 in, including 8 Majora's Mask editions. The manager told me that if I wanted a red one I should wait since new shipments aren't going to be an issue, but I decided to just settle for the black.

The new 3D is amazing. I always used to turn it off after a few minutes, but now I will probably never turn it off. This is a game changer.

The only problem is the 128 gb SD card that I got can't be formatted in fat32, so I have to wait to do the system transfer. No big deal though, I'm having fun checking out the new 3D in the physical games I got in the system's first year.

It can be, but you have to download a third party tool or do it via command line.

Try this. http://www.verbatim.com/index/searc..._form_submit.x=0&basic_search_form_submit.y=0

Renta

Banned
-As long as you don't wear glasses it works just as advertised. I heard it has trouble tracking people who have darker skin tones though.

I have glasses and I'm pretty dark and it tracks me just fine. Even tracks me when there are no lights on. Only loses tracking when I'm intentionally trying to screw with it.

Just like Renta, I wear glasses and have a darker skin tone. I tried out the n3DS demo a couple weeks ago when GameStop had them and the 3D Tracking worked fine. It only lost me if I looked away.

Jedi2016

Best Buy, what are you doing?

I don't think anyone who pre-ordered a New 3DS XL from them has had their order ship yet. This by itself is frustrating, but no one can cancel their order, either by phone or on the website. So, Best Buy has our money (which they took two days ago) but we don't even have our item on its way to our home.

Madness. I'm done with them. A little communication goes a long way but Best Buy doesn't believe in interacting with their customers, I suppose.
Hell, I pre-ordered it in store and they didn't even have any. Sounds like the whole company got seriously shortchanged by Nintendo, not getting near the number of units they were promised.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try to ignore that gap / hinge problem then.

Otherwise, I just love it. Feels really more polished and higher build quality.

lionpants

I chose the PC transfer method because I thought it would be faster and I had the correct screwdriver. I spent more time trying to remove the back-plate carefully because it felt like I was going to break the thing. Such a stupid process to access the SD card. Almost damaged my MM 3DS before even using it. Luckily I had a little metal tool to leverage the plate off (The stylus seemed like it would break the plastic).

Revenile

I said "No" on the "do you use a miniSD or standard SD card" question in the transfer process since I have a microSD card already (16GB). Transfer took about 10 minutes, put the card in new 3ds and bam, done.

I'm in love with the new XL. The 3D effect in Luigi's Mansion is so much better and the colours really seem to pop a lot more. The improved browser's nice as well.

//ARCANUM

I know this is off topic, but I need a quick answer and figured this thread would get the quickest attention: can I use a micro sdhc card in an SD card adapter inside an OLD 3DS XL?

edit - got my answer elsewhere! (looks like it works!)

Zing

Banned
I wear glasses and the face tracking works perfectly. I was even using it in near darkness last night.

Leonsito

Here's mine:

247639_10204730837245384_4209357071706090133_n.jpg

Btw, how is your battery life guys?

I played yesterday for about an hour the Ironfall game (with 3D on) the battery was at 3/4 when I put it to standby. I was going to play a little Majora's Mask and when I picked it up it was at 50%, 10 minutes into Majora the red light appeared, and after 5 more it started to blink, what the hell....

Just like Renta, I wear glasses and have a darker skin tone. I tried out the n3DS demo a couple weeks ago when GameStop had them and the 3D Tracking worked fine. It only lost me if I looked away.

Yeah i am also pretty dark and wear glasses... What i noticed is the distance you hold the 3ds at is key... Too close and i think it has issues

//ARCANUM

Here's mine:

I played yesterday for about an hour the Ironfall game (with 3D on) the battery was at 3/4 when I put it to standby. I was going to play a little Majora's Mask and when I picked it up it was at 50%, 10 minutes into Majora the red light appeared, and after 5 more it started to blink, what the hell....

man that looks great. i would probably buy a new 3DS if america got the regular model. as it is, I'm not getting the new XL because I already have an old XL. I could justify getting the regular model as having one of each (especially being able to get faceplates) but NOA hates us so yeah :/

hoserx

posted this in another thread, but:

My friend who got a monster hunter new 3dsxl says that all of a sudden, his sd card reader stopped working. He went through all of the common sense troubleshooting, and it definitely appears to be a hardware issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

So I posted yesterday that the red 3DS I got had "faulty" buttons. So I went today and exchanged it for a new one. Luckily my local target still had 2 left (both black). This one is in perfect condition. I'm so excited to finally start playing mh4! :)

Here's mine:

I have the wood faceplates too! Do you notice that the wood texture is somewhat smoother on the bottom faceplate? Or are both faceplates the same for you? The top faceplate is slightly rougher on mine, and feels nicer too.

Re the battery life, it seems on par with my old XL, which is in line with Nintendo's estimation.

Did anyone get a message that states some software/apps will be unusable if you make this transfer (msg was on the source system). And you had to ok? Something along those lines. I already hit ok :X

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I got some more time in with my New 3DS XL last night and this morning. I love it. Such an improvement over the previous model. Stable 3d works amazingly well, and the c stick is great for camera control.

Mainly playing Mario 3D Land again as I di t want to get into MM until I finish Danganronpa on Vita. Also grabbed Smash Bros and bought Tetris Ultnate digitally since it's on sale. I checked out the demos of Steam and MH4 as well and both seem like solid games.

Mob

I have the wood faceplates too! Do you notice that the wood texture is somewhat smoother on the bottom faceplate? Or are both faceplates the same for you? The top faceplate is slightly rougher on mine, and feels nicer too.

Re the battery life, it seems on par with my old XL, which is in line with Nintendo's estimation.

Bottom plate is slightly smoother on my wooden set.

MarkusRJR

I have glasses and I'm pretty dark and it tracks me just fine. Even tracks me when there are no lights on. Only loses tracking when I'm intentionally trying to screw with it.

I wear glasses and the face tracking works perfectly. I was even using it in near darkness last night.
Well that's good then. My friend told me it was really choppy for him and didn't track well. Maybe he can't see 3D screens very well.

Zing

Banned
Did anyone get a message that states some software/apps will be unusable if you make this transfer (msg was on the source system). And you had to ok? Something along those lines. I already hit ok :X
I've always had that message. It has to do with Mii Plaza. Once you've updated it, it won't run without the update data. The update data is on the SD card. But its harmless.

Top Bottom