• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Poll in Utah has Trump and Clinton Tied @ 26%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this was interesting as there have been suggestions of Utah, one of the most reliably red states out there, being in contention.

I actually think it's unlikely Clinton is going to win but a Republican Nominee for President having to spend time and money on Utah of all states is something to behold.

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are tied in Utah, according to a new poll released on Wednesday.

The Y2 Analytics poll, published first by Mormon church-owned Deseret News, found both Clinton and Trump at 26% among likely Utah voters, with independent Evan McMullin at 22% and Libertarian Gary Johnson at 14%.

The poll is striking, given Utah is a reliably Republican state that has not voted for a Democrat since Lyndon Johnson in 1964

McMullin, a Mormon, was a late entrant to the presidential race and has focused on Utah, where he was born. It's one of the few handful of states where the former CIA employee will be on the ballot in November.

I.E. Utah might take its ball and go home this election. Really don't seem to like any candidate on a state level

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/12/politics/hillary-clinton-utah-poll/

Anyone think a normally red state is going blue this election?

gazele

Banned
Loving this, Salt Lake City in general is more liberal than people think and lots of people here in Utah hate Donald Trump

Gonna do my part and hope she wins the state, although I doubt it'll happen

jayhawker

Good on LDS folk for not supporting vile garbage. May your southern baptist analogs discover the same conscience in the south.

CHC

Also, say what you will about Mormons but a lot of them do stand by family values / good behavior and as such Trump is not viewed favorably.

Evan McMullin might win more votes than Trump in Utah.

I've seen his name pop up all over my feeds since the last debate.

My conservo friends are talking highly of him.

I know nothing about him.

RoKKeR

The real highlight here is McMullin pulling at 22%. All of my friends and family back home are buzzing about him, and he is really picking up a lot of steam and mindshare in Utah. I think a win for him or Clinton with the vote split 4 ways is very possible.

Trump is the antithesis of many of the values Mormon people hold dear, so it's not surprising to see him be rejected so completely in Utah.

Love the fact that my vote in Utah this year is actually going to matter!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's a tie because they have a homegrown Mormon running for third party which is directly moving people from republican to third party.

The guy has no chance either since he won't be on many state ballots.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Between all the reliably red states that are normally not in danger of going blue, I gotta figure at least one of them will flip this year.

RoKKeR

It's a tie because they have a homegrown Mormon running for third party which is directly moving people from republican to third party.

He has a higher chance of winning electoral college votes than Johnson does at this point at least!

besada

Banned
All my Mormon-in-Laws have jumped to McMullin. Some before the tape was released, but all after it. Trying to fuck another man's wife is a line too far.

sazzy

XOKUEY.png

Biske

I have a hard time believing she will actually win the state. But damn if this isn't awesome news.

The fact that Trump is not only not winning the state in the breeziest way, Utah is a solid red state and should be eeeeeeasy, but he is not only tied with Hillary but has Evan McMullin on his heels too..

Dude is in a world of hurt, he needs to win every state possible and then flip some states but he is at serious risk of losing some states that should be sure fire.

Dude is fucked.

Republicans are going to suffer in Utah since the voters their are very religious and do not like the idea of living with a Trump presidency. Are their even an prominent Utah Republicans still endorsing Trump, seems like most left after the pussy grabbing comments.

I don't think it'll be enough for Clinton to win it, but it's definitely possible.

Biske

His only goal is to fuck over Trump. Couldn't be more clear and god bless him for it.

besada

Banned
Republicans are going to suffer in Utah since the voters their are very religious and do not like the idea of living with a Trump presidency. Are their even an prominent Utah Republicans still endorsing Trump, seems like most left after the pussy grabbing comments.

I don't think it'll be enough for Clinton to win it, but it's definitely possible.

One Senator (Orin Hatch) and one Representative are still supporting him. The rest, along with the Governor, have cut bait.

Might be a good idea for Clinton voters to cross over and vote McMuffin just to deny Trump Utah. He has to thread the needle already for any hope to eek out a win and denying him Utah makes his chances pretty much impossible.

LuffyZoro

Might be a good idea for Clinton voters to cross over and vote McMuffin just to deny Trump Utah. He has to thread the needle already for any hope to eek out a win and denying him Utah makes his chances pretty much impossible.

Well, no. Clinton is still polling higher than McMullin, so she has a better chance of taking the state.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
?

If he's posting in this thread he's probably read the OP man.

But the thread title seems to be biased toward just Hillary and Trump when Utah has just as good of chance of going third party this round.

I don't see why the title wouldn't mention it's a three horse race instead of two.

But the thread title seems to be biased toward just Hillary and Trump when Utah has just as good of chance of going third party this round.

I don't see why the title wouldn't mention it's a three horse race instead of two.

Because I fear the McMuffin clearly.
/s

Mods can edit the title as they see fit. I made sure to include the relevant info about the polling in the OP as well as an excerpt on who McMullin is for those who might not be aware.

While his poll numbers are interesting, I saw Clinton and Trump's tie as more so albeit it is in no small part due to McMullin taking republican voters away from trump I imagine.

Slayven

I wonder what internal polls say?

I really want to see next week's polls post Trump's throwing the GOP under the buss

Because I fear the McMuffin clearly.
/s

Mods can edit the title as they see fit. I made sure to include the relevant info about the polling in the OP as well as an excerpt on who McMullin is for those who might not be aware.

While his poll numbers are interesting, I saw Clinton and Trump's tie as more so albeit it is in no small part due to McMullin taking republican voters away from trump I imagine.

McMullin winning Utah hurts Trump's EV total more than it does Clinton because everyone else expected Utah the stay Republican and he really needed to keep those to stand a chance

Iksenpets

Banned
I'd honestly put pretty good odds on McMullin winning Utah. He's only going to grow as more people there realize he's in range to win the state, and endorsements from local Republicans will probably start rolling in too. And at these numbers, all he has to hit is ~30%. That's doable for a campaign focusing on one state with a fairly homogenous population.

One Senator (Orin Hatch) and one Representative are still supporting him. The rest, along with the Governor, have cut bait.

That's just crazy for a major party nominee.

Well, no. Clinton is still polling higher than McMullin, so she has a better chance of taking the state.

There's a small chance that Clinton can take the state with her supporters. She's doesn't need Utah's electoral college votes to have a path to victory, but Trump does. If McMullin wins that's +-0 for Clinton and -6 for Trump.

Sure winning an extra six votes would be great, but if you have an easy way to make your opponent lose six you should take it.

If McMullin wins Utah ... could that get us into a situation where no one reaches 270? At which point it becomes a senatorial decision?

Clinton's path to victory does not include Utah, so a McMullin win would only hurt Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom