• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Poll in Utah has Trump and Clinton Tied @ 26%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
If McMullin wins Utah ... could that get us into a situation where no one reaches 270? At which point it becomes a senatorial decision?

Things would have to tighten a lot for McMullin to throw it to the house. Most likely path I can find to it is Hillary losing Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina, while holding Virginia, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania.

It would be super fascinating to see though once it went to the House. Would Dem states and a small coalition of Republican ones come together to throw it to McMullin?

I'll tell you one thing about Mormons --
most are Republican, but they're not quite as intellectually depressed as Evangelical Southern Whites tend to be.

If McMullin wins Utah ... could that get us into a situation where no one reaches 270? At which point it becomes a senatorial decision?

It will only make Hillary's victory more absurdly lopsided. She is already close to turning AZ, GA, and even TX blue.

If things tip further in her favor it will be a landslide not seen in recent history.

The only way it goes to the House is if somehow Hillary loses states she is up by over 5 points in, in under a month... which is... unlikely (unless a tape leaks of her wiping her ass with the American flag or something)

Quixzlizx

But the thread title seems to be biased toward just Hillary and Trump when Utah has just as good of chance of going third party this round.

I don't see why the title wouldn't mention it's a three horse race instead of two.

Because Trump and Hillary are tied, and he isn't? </u mad>

I'm sad I don't live in Utah anymore, because I'd love to cast a vote for president there and have it matter. I don't think it will go to Hillary, but I'd love to see it happen.

My coworker was trying to defend trump the other day. Something about how it's all just locker room talk and that it's ok cause Hillary's husband is just as bad. &#128528;

The right-wing idea machine is great at disseminating its talking points.

sflufan

Banned
Clinton voters in Utah should give SERIOUS consideration for voting for McMullin at this point to deny the state's electoral votes for the Trumpster Fire. You really do nothing to harm Clinton and you MORTALLY wound the Trumpster Fire in the process.

Quixzlizx

Clinton voters in Utah should give SERIOUS consideration for voting for McMullin at this point to deny the state's electoral votes for the Trumpster Fire. You really do nothing to harm Clinton and you MORTALLY wound the Trumpster Fire in the process.

Trump losing the EVs to McMullin doesn't actually help Hillary at all. The only thing it would do is slightly increase the odds of the election going to the House instead of Trump outright winning it. And the House is GOP-controlled (although it would be funny if the #NeverTrumpers in the House actually heel-turned against the party and tipped it to Hillary. We all know that won't happen because 98% of them have no backbone).

BSsBrolly

Banned

Why do that when Clinton is polling ahead of Mcmullin? Until I see a real possibility of a McMullin win, no way in hell will I do that. (Who am I kidding, even then I'm still voting for Hillary)

Darkgran

I have a brother in law who is HARDCORE republican. He is voting for Hillary because Trump talked shit about Romney.

Also, I have spoken to may neighbors who WANT their vote to count here and they are voting for Hillary.

Why do that when Clinton is polling ahead of Mcmullin? Until I see a real possibility of a McMullin win, no way in hell will I do that. (Who am I kidding, even then I'm still voting for Hillary)

Basically this! Also did anyone see Steve Starks (president of the Utah Jazz) slamming people on Twitter for ever supporting in the first place?

Clinton's path to victory does not include Utah, so a McMullin win would only hurt Trump.

Yeah. A McMullin win is still good news. Clinton's path is wide open now, she doesn't need Utah. Trump can't afford to lose any state, in fact he needs to almost run the table of swing states (some of which don't even fit that description at the moment).

border

Trump losing the EVs to McMullin doesn't actually help Hillary at all. The only thing it would do is slightly increase the odds of the election going to the House instead of Trump outright winning it. And the House is GOP-controlled (although it would be funny if the #NeverTrumpers in the House actually heel-turned against the party and tipped it to Hillary. We all know that won't happen because 98% of them have no backbone).

I don't understand this at all. Utah was previously 6 guaranteed Electoral Votes for Trump. If he loses those votes to a non-contender like McMullin, I don't see how that hurts Clinton at all. It'd be better if they could turn Utah blue, but if a third party wins it then it seems like that would be a much bigger blow to Trump than Clinton.

If Romney can bait Trump into denigrating him more, I think it could be easy to flip the state for Clinton or McMullin.

Kettch

I don't understand this at all. Utah was previously 6 guaranteed Electoral Votes for Trump. If he loses those votes to a non-contender like McMullin, I don't see how that hurts Clinton at all. It'd be better if they could turn Utah blue, but if a third party wins it then it seems like that would be a much bigger blow to Trump than Clinton.

If Romney can bait Trump into denigrating him more, I think it could be easy to flip the state for Clinton or McMullin.

It doesn't matter how many electoral votes your opponent gets or how many you win by, all that matters is that you win by getting 270. Trump getting 6 votes from Utah or McMullin getting 6 votes from Utah has no effect on Clinton getting 270 votes. The only positive outcome of the state for Clinton is a Clinton win.

The only thing a McMullin win could possibly change would be sending the election to the House due to no one getting 270, where Trump gets elected anyway.

House, actually. But yes, that's what would happen.

I don't think it's going to be close enough for that, but if it is... Republican caucus not wanting to vote for Trump, definitely not Hillary, vote for him, a few disaffected Democrats willing to compromise if it means no Trump?

McMullin '16!

Utah is up in the air

Fucking Utah

MXaLbQk.gif

border

It doesn't matter how many electoral votes your opponent gets or how many you win by, all that matters is that you win by getting 270. Trump getting 6 votes from Utah or McMullin getting 6 votes from Utah has no effect on Clinton getting 270 votes. The only positive outcome of the state for Clinton is a Clinton win.

I still don't understand. It's a race to 270, yes. If McMullin wins, how is denying 6 Electoral Votes to Trump not a good thing? It almost definitely hurts his odds of getting to 270.

Hillary's absolute worst case scenario here is still a win.

Nothing Utah does will have any negative effect on her campaign. It's all a win.

It's kind of gratifying to see that Trump would somehow need to make a miracle out of the Electoral map in order to win, and even in his best case scenario, he still loses

I still don't understand. It's a race to 270, yes. If McMullin wins, how is denying 6 Electoral Votes to Trump not a good thing? It almost definitely hurts his odds of getting to 270.
If both candidates got under 270 due to McMullin winning the 6 Utah EVs, the election would go to the House and almost certainly come down to McMullin or Trump.

I doubt this is the election where this sort of thing comes up, however.

mo60

It's a tie because they have a homegrown Mormon running for third party which is directly moving people from republican to third party.

The guy has no chance either since he won't be on many state ballots.
That is a part of the reason.Trump was doing terrible at times in the state before McMullin appeared

border

If both candidates got under 270 due to McMullin winning the 6 Utah EVs, the election would go to the House and almost certainly come down to McMullin or Trump.

I doubt this is the election where this sort of thing comes up, however.

At the same time, how is Trump winning those 6 Utah Electoral Votes a better outcome for Clinton? A McMullin victory might not be that great for her, but it's certainly better than an outright Trump win.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
At the same time, how is Trump winning those 6 Utah Electoral Votes a better outcome for Clinton?

It's not. The previous posters were just saying that it doesn't technically affect her at all.

Her path to at least 270 is plotted and doesn't require Utah.

Kettch

At the same time, how is Trump winning those 6 Utah Electoral Votes a better outcome for Clinton? A McMullin victory might not be that great for her, but it's certainly better than an outright Trump win.

It's not better, it's irrelevant. This reply chain was discussing whether Clinton backers should change their votes to McMullin in order to help McMullin win the state over Trump.

There is no reason to do that. If all the Clinton backers in the state somehow got into a pact to vote for McMullin, the Trump campaign would say, "Great, we don't have to defend the state from Clinton at all anymore."

Trump would very happily take a result where Clinton gets 264-269 electoral votes, McMullin wins Utah and House Republicans get to select the President. That's the only scenario where McMullin winning does anything.

Trump not taking Utah wouldn't really impact the election all that much but I still want it to happen so I can see him lose by as many electoral votes as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom