• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Holy wow! Really pleased with how positive these previews are. This is looking like a must-have for me, especially based on the notes about the difficulty. I worried it would skew either too tough, or too easy but it seems like it falls right in the middle.

Are these the same people that usually make Rabbids games?

I’m trying to figure out why this one looks way better than anything else Rabbids related, and it’s not because there are goombas.

They cleaned up their act when Nintendo was on the other side of the table?

Nintendo, unlike Ubi alone, will not alone ANY tarnishes on their IP's. I'm sure they had a heavy hand in the cookie jar during this. Not to say the developers aren't competent, but Nintendo like Disney basically dictates whats allowed and whats not.

Mutant

Nintendo, unlike Ubi alone, will not alone ANY tarnishes on their IP's. I'm sure they had a heavy hand in the cookie jar during this. Not to say the developers aren't competent, but Nintendo like Disney basically dictates whats allowed and whats not.

Nintendo has quite a few tarnishes on their IPs from outsourcing. During the DS era they were outsourcing their IPs willy-nilly to low budget studios and kept in touch with those companies. This isn't "Mario Galaxy 2 was disappointing imo" but stuff like Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi's New Island, Hey Pikmin, Wario Master of Disguise, Star Fox Zero, Mario Party 1~8, etc etc.

LordKano

I’m trying to figure out why this one looks way better than anything else Rabbids related, and it’s not because there are goombas.

This one actually had a solid budget.

Richie

Ubisoft's crew's passion for this project is tangible, let's not take that away from them...But yes it is true Ninty will have kept a close eye on this (they're not infalible though, many a mediocre outsourced title with their IP on it.) Even though they likely had the final word on the game's events, they seemed to give the team tons of freedom, and apparently had a good enough sense of humor about themselves; how else can you explain the gloriously savage lyrics in the new trailer? I love all about this game.

DemWalls

Not really. This game is being developed by Ubisoft Milan (with some help from Paris), which, apart from some old Game Boy games, has always been a support studio, mainly tasked with porting games to various platforms.

This is basically their first high profile title. It's good to see that they have some real talent, but at the same time this means that until now they really were wasted on some minor releases. Let's hope this is just the beginning for them.

Nicko

Looks great!

Anyone know if the entire main story can be played coop? Looks like a great time for my wife and I.

3 years and a good budget can do wonders.

Lol naw. Mario has a crap ton of poor games and mediocre representations. The answer is Ubi gave these guys a big budget and they know what they're doing.

mario-the-lapins-cretins-kingdom-battle-switch-7ccbd488.jpg

Omg so good. And Luigi death stare is here lol

Supposing I don't have a local co-op partner, as a turn-based game, there really isn't anything stopping me from playing both roles in the single-screen hotseat co-op mode, is there? As with Snipperclips, I understand this won't be as fun as intended without the element of local miscommunication, but I might just be curious about seeing the maps.

I hope the challenge scales up nicely and hits the sweet spot of demanding/rewarding craftiness, ingenuity, and knife's-edge precision without forcing the player down a few optimal paths. Difficulty is the main question that remains for me, and I don't trust preview/review writers to gauge it on my behalf given how notoriously bad all of them (yes, all of them) are at turn-based strategy. Guess I'll have to see for myself.

So far this game has made me think of SMRPG all over again, but in a genre dearer to me than the old Square-style party JRPG. IntSys flagships aside, strategy is always massively underserved on Nintendo systems to the point that their shops and surveys don't recognize it as a category. Leaning towards the physical release (my first since BotW) unless there's a compelling reason to pick it up digitally—it looks more like a chunky experience I can put away once finished than anything I'll be hopping into for minutes here and there long-term.

Are there difficulty settings? Any mention of length?

According to this Nintendo Life video there is an easy mode you can select before each battle which heals your team and might give a minor health boost but he's not sure. I don't know how good Alex is at XCOM type games but he says the game is tough later on. He says he doesn't know about length as he hasn't played enough to guess.

The bit where Nintendo Life Alex talks about game difficulty and easy mode..

This looks better and better each time I see it. Was always going to pick it up but now it's because I'm legitimately excited to play it. Going to be a very busy few months with the upcoming releases.

That trailer has me so excited for this. It's weird that this will be the game that gets me to buy a Switch, but fuck it, all-in!

Reki

It seems like the marketing machine is starting to move. I wonder if Nintendo will share some trailer or if it's all on Ubisoft, as the publisher.

I can't believe that trailer, this is really a game made of passion for the IP. Pretty hyped for this!

DemWalls

What are the chances of Rayman being unlockable?

They mention it in an interview posted earlier:
Was there a reason you didn't include Rayman in the game? Did you discuss putting him in at one point?

Soliani: We discussed it, but honestly, we thought that the strength of the Rabbids is that they are a white canvas, so you can do pretty much whatever you want. You can come up with crazy ideas and they work. We tried to bring the same spirit into this game. Mr. Miyamoto kept saying, ”Show me your colors. Show me your Rabbid's humor even more. Show me how crazy you can be." Of course, Rayman was part of the Rabbids games in the past, but now those are two separate universes.
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...aymans-absence-and-mario-karts-influence.aspx

So, unless they want to surprise us, the answer is very, very slim.

Are there difficulty settings? Any mention of length?

Kinda Funny's let's play shows them select difficulty from Easy, Normal, Hard (Hard is greyed out in their build).

The leaked marketing material said ~20 hour length I believe? Not sure they've spoken to that number officially.

Wamb0wneD

"It'sa me, let'sa go the only words you knoooow!"
"Your're so not worth the hustle, the prince is in another castleeee!"
"Mushrooms won't end the paiiiiin!"
God damn i fuck with this.

also
mario-the-lapins-cretins-kingdom-battle-switch-67c44682.jpg

This looks freaking massive.

sleepnaught

Looks really great, love the art direction in this game. Honestly, I prefer this visual style over what we're getting on Odyssey. Switch is starting to get a good library for its first year. Splatoon 2 a couple weeks ago and now Sonic Mania and Mari+Rabbids this month. If we can get those indie titles like Stardew Valley released by the end of Summer, I'll be super happy.

Litri

Knew it was going to be an interesting title but the preview from easy allies sold me on it. Should be a great title for gaming on the go too.

KodaRuss

Only thing I am worried about this game is if there is going to be enough content. Looks like a great concept and it is going to be a lot of fun. The rumor that Ubi was going to lower the price to $50 kinda worried me that this was just going to be short and sweet.

I think that this type of game needs a lot of progression and lots of content to keep people happy (me included).

VeeP

Game looks SOOOO gorgeous. They could honestly make a TPS ala Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare and I'd be soooo down.

Cartho

So excited. Glad to hear it's got depth too. Not because I thought it wouldn't, but many people seemed to think that a 20 minute E3 gameplay demo from the first world on the easy difficulty setting was indicative of the entire game being far too easy. Thisisneogaf.gif

Lady Gaia

I know it's not a majority opinion but assume it's not just me: I'm way more excited about this than Mario Odyssey. It's the reason I got serious about getting a Switch and I can't wait for the end of the month to do dive in. Two things I'm not looking forward to are balancing time for Uncharted Lost Legacy with this, and the inevitable attempts to compare the two. What is it with Sony and Nintendo scheduling key releases three days apart?

hatchx

Banned
First Rabbids game I'm going to own, and it looks really great.

Even with the glowing impressions, I have a feeling this will surprise people.

Nintendo are killing it with the Switch, even with all the stupid decisions accompanying it.

This game looks like crack in a cartridge.

Copper

I got some serious great mighty poo vibes from that trailer. This is good.

This will be an easy million-seller, and that's being conservative.

Wouldn't this be great if it inspired more 3rd parties to work with Nintendo on games like this?

Zedark

This will be an easy million-seller, and that's being conservative.
Yeah it's kinda funny. I keep seeing the "It'LL do over 1 million" line, while I'm just here expecting 3 million or so for the title. Maybe I'm overconfident, but 1 million is too low a bar imo.

Top Bottom